OT: USA

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by US Citizen, Sep 29, 2005.

  1. jacqui{JB}

    jacqui{JB} Guest

  2. Dan Goodman

    Dan Goodman Guest

    US Citizen wrote:

    > Will we still be the Country of choice and still be America if we
    > continue to make the changes forced on us by the people from other
    > countries that came to live in America because it is the Country of
    > Choice??????
    >
    > Think about it!
    >
    > All we have to say is, when will they do something about MY RIGHTS?

    Pride, Anger, and Despair are among the Seven Deadly Sins.

    --
    Dan Goodman
    Journal http://www.livejournal.com/users/dsgood/

  3. Kat

    Kat Guest

    "FDR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:QR%[email protected]

    > "Dan Abel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> In article <[email protected]>,
    >> US Citizen <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>

    >>> Will we still be the Country of choice and still be America if we
    >>> continue
    >>> to make the changes forced on us by the people from other countries

    >> This is a joke, right? If not, then it must be a troll.

    > When the poeple of other countries are becoming the majority, then
    > Democracy will favor them.

    so?
    Afraid of not being favored anymore?

  4. FDR

    FDR Guest

    "Kat" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:zj8%[email protected]

    > "FDR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:QR%[email protected]
    >>
    >> "Dan Abel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]

    >>> This is a joke, right? If not, then it must be a troll.

    >> When the poeple of other countries are becoming the majority, then
    >> Democracy will favor them.

    > so?
    > Afraid of not being favored anymore?

    I'm not saying it like it's a bad thing. Cool yer engines.

  5. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Joan in GB-W" <[email protected]> wrote

    > The city I live in recently put into local law an ordinance that English
    > be
    > the official language of the county. Anyway, when the side opposing the
    > legislation (I might add that that was my side) pointed out to them that
    > the
    > current immigrants are learning English far faster than OUR ancestors did
    > way back when, they ignored those facts.

    One city here did that to cries of racism blah blah blah ... well, let the
    people who think that such a bad idea go over to city hall and pick up
    their CofO (don't ask) and other paperwork to sell a house and no one
    understands what the hell you're looking for. Not acceptable to me.
    I'm right behind the law that said, you want to work for the city, you
    have to be able to communicate in English.

    nancy

  6. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Joan in GB-W" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >> The city I live in recently put into local law an ordinance that English be
    >> the official language of the county. Anyway, when the side opposing the
    >> legislation (I might add that that was my side) pointed out to them that the
    >> current immigrants are learning English far faster than OUR ancestors did
    >> way back when, they ignored those facts.

    > One city here did that to cries of racism blah blah blah ... well, let the
    > people who think that such a bad idea go over to city hall and pick up
    > their CofO (don't ask) and other paperwork to sell a house and no one
    > understands what the hell you're looking for. Not acceptable to me.
    > I'm right behind the law that said, you want to work for the city, you
    > have to be able to communicate in English.
    >
    > nancy

    I too am behind the laws that require English proficiency - However, many years
    ago some of the immigrants wanted so desperately to "Americanize" that they
    denied their American born children of their roots - and cultural heritage.
    Also not a good thing. I would much rather have baklava as my roots than Oscar
    Mayer. LOL.

    Dimitri

    Dimitri

  7. US Citizen wrote:
    > This Was in a Tampa Newspaper....Please Read
    >
    > Will we still be the Country of choice and still be America if we continue
    > to make the changes forced on us by the people from other countries that
    > came to live in America because it is the Country of Choice??????

    I imagine the Navaho, the Irquois etc feel much the same way. Pesky
    foreigners from England and Spain and the Netherlands and who knows
    where the riff-raff are coming from. Good grief, even Scots and
    Germans. It was all the fault of that blasted Italian.

    Neighbourhood has never been the same since.

  8. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "Joan in GB-W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > The city I live in recently put into local law an ordinance that English
    > be
    > the official language of the county. Anyway, when the side opposing the
    > legislation (I might add that that was my side) pointed out to them that
    > the
    > current immigrants are learning English far faster than OUR ancestors did
    > way back when, they ignored those facts.

    The idea of making it a law for government employment is stupid. Simply make
    English proficiency a requirement for each specific job that involves
    speaking to the public. There are plenty of jobs behind the scenes where
    your less-than-perfect won't frustrate the bejeezus out of 90% of the people
    you come into contact with.

  9. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "Dan Abel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > US Citizen <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >> Will we still be the Country of choice and still be America if we
    >> continue
    >> to make the changes forced on us by the people from other countries

    > This is a joke, right? If not, then it must be a troll.

    No. It's serious. But, it ignores the fact that people from other countries
    have been the majority here since we stomped all over the native Americans.
    People who write these things are morons.

  10. alsandor wrote:

    >>The Romans from whom we

    > hold the dual feasts of Sol Indigetis and Saturnalia were residents of
    > Rome. The feasts are found in the calendar of Numa Pompilius, second
    > legendary king of Rome and successor to Romulus, who instituted a
    > calendrical reform. So, the feasts in question are "ciuitati" and
    > therefore cannot be "pagani".

    But to get back on a rfc topic, what did they eat at these feasts?

    John Kane
    Kingston ON

  11. Dimitri

    Dimitri Guest

    "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:vlc%[email protected]
    > "Joan in GB-W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >
    >> The city I live in recently put into local law an ordinance that English be
    >> the official language of the county. Anyway, when the side opposing the
    >> legislation (I might add that that was my side) pointed out to them that the
    >> current immigrants are learning English far faster than OUR ancestors did
    >> way back when, they ignored those facts.

    > The idea of making it a law for government employment is stupid. Simply make
    > English proficiency a requirement for each specific job that involves speaking
    > to the public. There are plenty of jobs behind the scenes where your
    > less-than-perfect won't frustrate the bejeezus out of 90% of the people you
    > come into contact with.

    wellcone to madon - als kan I jave jour horder......

    Dimitri

  12. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    Doug Kanter wrote:

    > No. It's serious. But, it ignores the fact that people from other countries
    > have been the majority here since we stomped all over the native Americans.
    > People who write these things are morons.

    The Spanish were well settled throughout the south west until the Americans
    swept in and took over. American culture idolizes the defenders at the Alamo,
    but it seems to me more like a bunch of Americans immigrated into a part of
    Mexico and then rebelled against the government and took over.

  13. Stan Horwitz

    Stan Horwitz Guest

    In article <QR%[email protected]>,
    "FDR" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Dan Abel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    > > In article <[email protected]>,
    > > US Citizen <uscitiz[email protected]> wrote:
    > >

    > >> Will we still be the Country of choice and still be America if we
    > >> continue
    > >> to make the changes forced on us by the people from other countries

    > > This is a joke, right? If not, then it must be a troll.

    > When the poeple of other countries are becoming the majority, then Democracy
    > will favor them.

    Perhaps, but here in the United States, we are NOT a democracy, nor have
    we ever been one.

  14. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "Dimitri" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:Bsc%[email protected]

    > "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:vlc%[email protected]
    >> "Joan in GB-W" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>
    >>> The city I live in recently put into local law an ordinance that English
    >>> be
    >>> the official language of the county. Anyway, when the side opposing the
    >>> legislation (I might add that that was my side) pointed out to them that
    >>> the
    >>> current immigrants are learning English far faster than OUR ancestors
    >>> did
    >>> way back when, they ignored those facts.

    >> The idea of making it a law for government employment is stupid. Simply
    >> make English proficiency a requirement for each specific job that
    >> involves speaking to the public. There are plenty of jobs behind the
    >> scenes where your less-than-perfect won't frustrate the bejeezus out of
    >> 90% of the people you come into contact with.

    > wellcone to madon - als kan I jave jour horder......
    >
    > Dimitri

    Werp? :)

  15. Dan Abel

    Dan Abel Guest

    In article <vlc%[email protected]>,
    "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > The idea of making it a law for government employment is stupid. Simply make
    > English proficiency a requirement for each specific job that involves
    > speaking to the public. There are plenty of jobs behind the scenes where
    > your less-than-perfect won't frustrate the bejeezus out of 90% of the people
    > you come into contact with.

    But what if the public doesn't speak English? Perhaps the requirement
    should be that the potential employee speaks a language that is used.
    You wouldn't believe how many jobs around here require a knowledge of
    Spanish in the job announcement.

  16. FDR

    FDR Guest

    "Stan Horwitz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <QR%[email protected]>,
    > "FDR" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> "Dan Abel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]

    >> > This is a joke, right? If not, then it must be a troll.

    >> When the poeple of other countries are becoming the majority, then
    >> Democracy
    >> will favor them.

    > Perhaps, but here in the United States, we are NOT a democracy, nor have
    > we ever been one.

    I guess the Iraqis got it better than us.

  17. FDR

    FDR Guest

    "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > "Joan in GB-W" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >> The city I live in recently put into local law an ordinance that English
    >> be
    >> the official language of the county. Anyway, when the side opposing the
    >> legislation (I might add that that was my side) pointed out to them that
    >> the
    >> current immigrants are learning English far faster than OUR ancestors did
    >> way back when, they ignored those facts.

    > One city here did that to cries of racism blah blah blah ... well, let the
    > people who think that such a bad idea go over to city hall and pick up
    > their CofO (don't ask) and other paperwork to sell a house and no one
    > understands what the hell you're looking for. Not acceptable to me.
    > I'm right behind the law that said, you want to work for the city, you
    > have to be able to communicate in English.
    >
    > nancy

    I'm sure there are jobs that would require a proficient use of the language.
    However, my grandfather came over from Italy in the 20's, didn't know the
    language, or learn it, but was good enough to work for the city sweeping
    streets. Should he have been deprived employment with the city?

  18. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "Dan Abel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > In article <vlc%[email protected]>,
    > "Doug Kanter" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >> The idea of making it a law for government employment is stupid. Simply
    >> make
    >> English proficiency a requirement for each specific job that involves
    >> speaking to the public. There are plenty of jobs behind the scenes where
    >> your less-than-perfect won't frustrate the bejeezus out of 90% of the
    >> people
    >> you come into contact with.

    > But what if the public doesn't speak English? Perhaps the requirement
    > should be that the potential employee speaks a language that is used.
    > You wouldn't believe how many jobs around here require a knowledge of
    > Spanish in the job announcement.

    Then, that should be mentioned in the job requirements. Why should this be
    different than any other employment requirement, like mechanical training,
    ability to climb ladders, etc?

  19. Doug Kanter

    Doug Kanter Guest

    "FDR" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:iMc%[email protected]

    > "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >>
    >> "Joan in GB-W" <[email protected]> wrote
    >>
    >>> The city I live in recently put into local law an ordinance that English
    >>> be
    >>> the official language of the county. Anyway, when the side opposing the
    >>> legislation (I might add that that was my side) pointed out to them that
    >>> the
    >>> current immigrants are learning English far faster than OUR ancestors
    >>> did
    >>> way back when, they ignored those facts.

    >> One city here did that to cries of racism blah blah blah ... well, let
    >> the
    >> people who think that such a bad idea go over to city hall and pick up
    >> their CofO (don't ask) and other paperwork to sell a house and no one
    >> understands what the hell you're looking for. Not acceptable to me.
    >> I'm right behind the law that said, you want to work for the city, you
    >> have to be able to communicate in English.
    >>
    >> nancy

    > I'm sure there are jobs that would require a proficient use of the
    > language. However, my grandfather came over from Italy in the 20's, didn't
    > know the language, or learn it, but was good enough to work for the city
    > sweeping streets. Should he have been deprived employment with the city?

    No, because the bulk of his work didn't involve conversing with people all
    day long. Different, though, from someone who's expected to answer questions
    at a motor vehicle bureau or county clerk's office.

  20. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "FDR" <[email protected]> wrote

    > "Nancy Young" <[email protected]> wrote

    >> One city here did that to cries of racism blah blah blah ... well, let
    >> the
    >> people who think that such a bad idea go over to city hall and pick up
    >> their CofO (don't ask) and other paperwork to sell a house and no one
    >> understands what the hell you're looking for. Not acceptable to me.
    >> I'm right behind the law that said, you want to work for the city, you
    >> have to be able to communicate in English.

    > I'm sure there are jobs that would require a proficient use of the
    > language. However, my grandfather came over from Italy in the 20's, didn't
    > know the language, or learn it, but was good enough to work for the city
    > sweeping streets. Should he have been deprived employment with the city?

    No, though I bet he'd have done well in a more skilled job had he spoken
    the language. Before you get annoyed, there is nothing wrong with being
    a street sweeper, someone had to do it, and it's hard honest work. But
    even the most simple job is probably easier if you can read directions to
    equipment, whatever. Those were far simpler times. But, I digress.

    No, I really don't think it is at all acceptable to have to conduct business
    required by law with people who can't read my applications or understand
    what I need from them. You shouldn't be hired if you can't do the job.
    I don't think it's too much to ask. I would expect the same of myself if
    I moved to another country.

    nancy