OT: Weapons of mass stupidity

GeeDubb wrote:

> I think it is real news since now it's come forth the VP was hunting
> illegally.

"Hunting illegally"?!? He was on a friend's private property and hadn't
updated some local license thing that isn't even a fineable offense AFAIK.
Biggest non-story of...well, February, at least.

So far, that is...

NF

"Nuckin' Futz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> GeeDubb wrote:
>
>> I think it is real news since now it's come forth the VP was hunting
>> illegally.

> "Hunting illegally"?!? He was on a friend's private property and hadn't
> updated some local license thing that isn't even a fineable offense AFAIK.
> Biggest non-story of...well, February, at least.
>
> So far, that is...
>
> NF

by not having that stamp, he was hunting illegally in most states, Texas may
be an exception, I don't know. If it were me or you we would have been
fined for not having the stamp, JMO. The fine would be peanuts to the VP
but at least the local authorities should follow through with the rule of
the law....and issue the fine....if in fact it is a fineable offense.

"GeeDubb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Nuckin' Futz" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> GeeDubb wrote:
>>
>>> I think it is real news since now it's come forth the VP was hunting
>>> illegally.

>> "Hunting illegally"?!? He was on a friend's private property and hadn't
>> updated some local license thing that isn't even a fineable offense
>> AFAIK. Biggest non-story of...well, February, at least.
>>
>> So far, that is...
>>
>> NF

> by not having that stamp, he was hunting illegally in most states, Texas
> may be an exception, I don't know. If it were me or you we would have
> been fined for not having the stamp, JMO. The fine would be peanuts to
> the VP but at least the local authorities should follow through with the
> rule of the law....and issue the fine....if in fact it is a fineable
> offense.

Just for the record:

He lacked an upland bird hunting stamp required by Texas (new this year).
$7 for the stamp in addition to normal license fees.

I am not as familiar with laws in western states, but most eastern states do
not have an upland game bird stamp, only waterfowl (which also requires a
Federal stamp).

I could find no reference to the penalty in a cursory search.

TS

troutboy wrote:
> Just for the record:
>
> He lacked an upland bird hunting stamp required by Texas (new this year).
> $7 for the stamp in addition to normal license fees.
>
> I am not as familiar with laws in western states, but most eastern states do
> not have an upland game bird stamp, only waterfowl (which also requires a
> Federal stamp).
>
> I could find no reference to the penalty in a cursory search.

Cheney, an experienced hunter, has not commented publicly about the
accident. His office said Monday night in a statement that Cheney had a
$125 nonresident hunting license and has sent a $7 check to cover the
cost of the stamp. "The staff asked for all permits needed, but was not
informed of the $7 upland game bird stamp requirement," the statement said.

Whittington also received a warning for failing to have the stamp. A
department spokesman said warnings are being issued in most cases
because the stamp requirement only went into effect five months ago and
many hunters aren't aware of it.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> troutboy wrote:

>> Just for the record:
>>
>> He lacked an upland bird hunting stamp required by Texas (new this
>> year). $7 for the stamp in addition to normal license fees.
>>
>> I am not as familiar with laws in western states, but most eastern
>> states do not have an upland game bird stamp, only waterfowl (which
>> also requires a Federal stamp).
>>
>> I could find no reference to the penalty in a cursory search.

> Cheney, an experienced hunter, has not commented publicly about the
> accident. His office said Monday night in a statement that Cheney had
> a $125 nonresident hunting license and has sent a $7 check to cover
> the cost of the stamp. "The staff asked for all permits needed, but was
> not informed of the $7 upland game bird stamp requirement," the
> statement said.
> Whittington also received a warning for failing to have the stamp. A
> department spokesman said warnings are being issued in most cases
> because the stamp requirement only went into effect five months ago
> and many hunters aren't aware of it.

Well, hell, then, he ought to RESIGN over that unforgiveable
transgression!!!

Bill "insert 'rolls eyes' emoticon thingy here" S.

"GeeDubb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Shawn" <sdotherecurry@bresnannextdotnet> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Ride-A-Lot wrote:

>> Think Rupert Murdock. The "Liberal Media" is owned and controlled by
>> the "Conservative, Wealthy, Elite". All the rest are afraid of losing
>> their jobs for exposing serious dirt.
>> I was listening to bomb thrower radio the other day (Democracy Now) and
>> for once they made a good point: Why wasn't anyone prosecuted over the
>> "forged National Guard documents" that Dan Rather lost *his* job over?
>> That would've been a felony. Shouldn't it have been pursued by the AG,
>> or would the investigation prove problematic (like uncovering the truth
>> or something)?
>>
>>> Except for the fact that one of them is the Vice President of the United
>>> States and it took 18 hours to report the incident.

>> That's really surprising. Much as I loath the Administration, this was a
>> pretty common hunting accident (remember Greg LeMond?). I don't
>> understand why they aren't making a major thing out of it to draw even
>> more attention away from real news.
>>
>> Shawn

> I think it is real news since now it's come forth the VP was hunting
> illegally. Seems that's more of why the Whitehouse didn't report the
> incident. I get damn tired of these guys thinking they are above the law.
>
> now I'm ******, look out!
>
> Gary

I think the entire thing was staged to make the media look like a fool, and
it's working very well.

Sorni wrote:
> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>> troutboy wrote:

>>> Just for the record:
>>>
>>> He lacked an upland bird hunting stamp required by Texas (new this
>>> year). $7 for the stamp in addition to normal license fees.
>>>
>>> I am not as familiar with laws in western states, but most eastern
>>> states do not have an upland game bird stamp, only waterfowl (which
>>> also requires a Federal stamp).
>>>
>>> I could find no reference to the penalty in a cursory search.

>> Cheney, an experienced hunter, has not commented publicly about the
>> accident. His office said Monday night in a statement that Cheney had
>> a $125 nonresident hunting license and has sent a $7 check to cover
>> the cost of the stamp. "The staff asked for all permits needed, but was
>> not informed of the $7 upland game bird stamp requirement," the
>> statement said.
>> Whittington also received a warning for failing to have the stamp. A
>> department spokesman said warnings are being issued in most cases
>> because the stamp requirement only went into effect five months ago
>> and many hunters aren't aware of it.

> Well, hell, then, he ought to RESIGN over that unforgiveable
> transgression!!!
>
> Bill "insert 'rolls eyes' emoticon thingy here" S.

It gets better! Breaking news:

CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas - The 78-year-old lawyer who was shot by Vice
President **** Cheney in a hunting accident has some birdshot lodged in
his heart and he had a "minor heart attack," a hospital official said
Tuesday.

Peter Banko, the hospital administrator at Christus Spohn Hospital
Corpus Christi-Memorial, said Harry Whittington had the heart attack
early Tuesday while being evaluated.

He said there was an irregularity in the heartbeat caused by a pellet,
and doctors performed a cardiac catheterization.

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
> Sorni wrote:
>> Ride-A-Lot wrote:

>>> Cheney, an experienced hunter, has not commented publicly about the
>>> accident. His office said Monday night in a statement that Cheney
>>> had a $125 nonresident hunting license and has sent a $7 check to
>>> cover the cost of the stamp. "The staff asked for all permits
>>> needed, but was not informed of the $7 upland game bird stamp
>>> requirement," the statement said.
>>> Whittington also received a warning for failing to have the stamp. A
>>> department spokesman said warnings are being issued in most cases
>>> because the stamp requirement only went into effect five months ago
>>> and many hunters aren't aware of it.

>> Well, hell, then, he ought to RESIGN over that unforgiveable
>> transgression!!!
>>
>> Bill "insert 'rolls eyes' emoticon thingy here" S.
>>

> It gets better! Breaking news:
>
> CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas - The 78-year-old lawyer who was shot by Vice
> President **** Cheney in a hunting accident has some birdshot lodged
> in his heart and he had a "minor heart attack," a hospital official
> said Tuesday.
>
> Peter Banko, the hospital administrator at Christus Spohn Hospital
> Corpus Christi-Memorial, said Harry Whittington had the heart attack
> early Tuesday while being evaluated.
>
> He said there was an irregularity in the heartbeat caused by a pellet,
> and doctors performed a cardiac catheterization.

So Cheney probably saved his life! Otherwise the heart condition would have
gone unnoticed -- perhaps for years!

Bill "sarcams mode" S.

Per di:
>I think the entire thing was staged to make the media look like a fool, and
>it's working very well.

I heard that The President said to Cheney: "****, you need to get yourself a
lawyer."

And he did...
--
PeteCresswell

> Well, hell, then, he ought to RESIGN over that unforgiveable
> transgression!!!
>
> Bill "insert 'rolls eyes' emoticon thingy here" S.

There's plenty other things he and the whole lot of 'em ought to get the
boot for.

"JohnH" wrote:
> There's plenty other things he and the whole lot of 'em ought to get the
> boot for.

I agree. And to think those wingnuts impeached the previous President
over a blow job...

Max wrote:
> "JohnH" wrote:
>> There's plenty other things he and the whole lot of 'em ought to get
>> the boot for.

> I agree. And to think those wingnuts impeached the previous President
> over a blow job...

Try lying under oath (AKA perjury) AND obstruction of justice (convincing ML
to lie, among other things). Does NO ONE pay attention to the OTHER women
who stepped forward to make similar -- and far worse in the case of rape --
charges?!?

If a conservative Republican president had done even one of those things,
the press would have NEVER let up.

NF

"Shawn" <sdotherecurry@bresnannextdotnet> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Ride-A-Lot wrote:
>> (PeteCresswell) wrote:
>>
>>> Per Marty:

>>> Am I the only one in the world that's watching this stuff on the evening
>>> news
>>> and thinking "Geeze, there's important stuff going on all over the
>>> world and
>>> they're serving up this drivel." ?
>>>
>>> I mean, like, this was a minor accident between two consenting adults.
>>> Beyond
>>> that, who the hell *cares*.

> Think Rupert Murdock. The "Liberal Media" is owned and controlled by the
> "Conservative, Wealthy, Elite".

Thanks for making this point !! Why don't people realize this before they
make the ridiculous accusation that the corporate media is "liberal" ?

All the rest are afraid of losing
> their jobs for exposing serious dirt.
> I was listening to bomb thrower radio the other day (Democracy Now) and
> for once they made a good point: Why wasn't anyone prosecuted over the
> "forged National Guard documents" that Dan Rather lost *his* job over?

Well, this is only one of many good questions, but certainly not the most
egregious oversight . . . and you've already answered this question above.

> That would've been a felony. Shouldn't it have been pursued by the AG,
> or would the investigation prove problematic (like uncovering the truth or
> something)?

Yes. The truth would not favor the current administration, which is (of
course) always right. And has always been right. Ever read 1984?

>> Except for the fact that one of them is the Vice President of the United
>> States and it took 18 hours to report the incident.

> That's really surprising. Much as I loath the Administration, this was a
> pretty common hunting accident (remember Greg LeMond?). I don't
> understand why they aren't making a major thing out of it to draw even
> more attention away from real news.

Only the corporate media is. Worthwhile news orgs are not. DN! gave about
two sentences on it Monday.

"cc" <[email protected]> wrote:

>"Shawn" <sdotherecurry@bresnannextdotnet> wrote:

>> Think Rupert Murdock. The "Liberal Media" is owned and controlled by the
>> "Conservative, Wealthy, Elite".

>Thanks for making this point !! Why don't people realize this before they
>make the ridiculous accusation that the corporate media is "liberal" ?

FWIW, those that have studied the US media disagree with you. For
example, here's a study done by that conservative stronghold, UCLA...
;-)

http://www.newsroom.ucla.edu/page.asp?RelNum=6664

An excerpt:

"Of the 20 major media outlets studied, 18 scored left of center,
with CBS' "Evening News," The New York Times and the Los Angeles
Times ranking second, third and fourth most liberal behind the news
pages of The Wall Street Journal.

Only Fox News' "Special Report With Brit Hume" and The Washington
Times scored right of the average U.S. voter."

It's a good article for those who'd like to understand the reality of
the media's leanings. Of course, to some "significantly left/right of
center isn't nearly far enough - so one man's "liberal" is another's
"conservative", and vice versa.

FWIW,I get most of my news from the Drudge report, which tied for the
most centrist source in the study above (only very slightly to the
left of center).

Mark Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $795 ti frame

Mark Hickey wrote:
> "cc" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>"Shawn" <sdotherecurry@bresnannextdotnet> wrote:

>>>Think Rupert Murdock. The "Liberal Media" is owned and controlled by the
>>>"Conservative, Wealthy, Elite".

>>Thanks for making this point !! Why don't people realize this before they
>>make the ridiculous accusation that the corporate media is "liberal" ?

> FWIW, those that have studied the US media disagree with you. For
> example, here's a study done by that conservative stronghold, UCLA...
> ;-)
>
> http://www.newsroom.ucla.edu/page.asp?RelNum=6664

Right:

Yet another finding that contradicted conventional wisdom relates to
National Public Radio, often cited by conservatives as an egregious
example of a liberal news outlet. But according to the UCLA-University
of Missouri study, it ranked eighth most liberal of the 20 that the
study examined.

This study is flawed.

The reporting of most news is pretty "centrist". However, the
editorializing by types like O'Liely (thank you Al) and Lamebaugh often
gets presented as "Fair and Unbiased" news, when it's not.

Shawn

> "cc" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>"Shawn" <sdotherecurry@bresnannextdotnet> wrote:

>>> Think Rupert Murdock. The "Liberal Media" is owned and controlled by
>>> the
>>> "Conservative, Wealthy, Elite".

>>Thanks for making this point !! Why don't people realize this before they
>>make the ridiculous accusation that the corporate media is "liberal" ?

> FWIW, those that have studied the US media disagree with you. For
> example, here's a study done by that conservative stronghold, UCLA...
> ;-)
>
> http://www.newsroom.ucla.edu/page.asp?RelNum=6664
>
> An excerpt:
>
> "Of the 20 major media outlets studied, 18 scored left of center,
> with CBS' "Evening News," The New York Times and the Los Angeles
> Times ranking second, third and fourth most liberal behind the news
> pages of The Wall Street Journal.
>
> Only Fox News' "Special Report With Brit Hume" and The Washington
> Times scored right of the average U.S. voter."
>
> It's a good article for those who'd like to understand the reality of
> the media's leanings. Of course, to some "significantly left/right of
> center isn't nearly far enough - so one man's "liberal" is another's
> "conservative", and vice versa.
>
> FWIW,I get most of my news from the Drudge report, which tied for the
> most centrist source in the study above (only very slightly to the
> left of center).

Yes, I needn't make the point to you that "liberal" as conventionally
defined here means absolutely nothing.

I mean, calling one corporately-owned party "democrat" and the other
"republican" is about as useful a distinction.

"When you expect an open range and you're tracking a target that's the
size
of
a dinner plate and moving about 30mph I think you get a little latitude
if
you
happen to track across a friendly. Especially if you haven't been told
there
might
be one in that direction.
Reluctantly, though I have to admit You're
right in one aspect. The ultimate responsibility is with the guy who
pulls
the trigger.
He's still responsible for where the shot goes and I'm not saying he
doesn't
have some blame. What I am saying though is that it doesn't make him a
somehow warped or twisted. It does make it an accident. "

Similar to an incident in Afganastan? friendly fire...oops?