OT: Weight loss scam

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Simon Mason, Jun 22, 2003.

  1. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    I must have been at a loose end recently because instead of deleting spam, I've had a look at one
    two of the sites (those lengthening pills are good ;-) I even bought a torch with an led that has no
    batteries, you shake it and a magnet travels through a coil and charges up a capacitor.

    Anyway, this one has to be the most ludicrous, a soap that dissolves the fat below your skin, so
    that the fat is carried away in your blood. Only
    c.20 dollars a bar. Ha ha ha call the FDA.

    http://www.brave-dog.com/aoqili/

  2. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    > I even bought a torch with an led that has no batteries, you shake it and a magnet travels through
    > a coil and charges up a capacitor.

    I must have one! Where from Simon?

    Pete

  3. Tim Cain

    Tim Cain Guest

    > I must have been at a loose end recently because instead of deleting spam, I've had a look at one
    > two of the sites (those lengthening pills are good ;-) I even bought a torch with an led that has
    > no batteries, you shake it and a magnet travels through a coil and charges up a capacitor.

    Well done.

    The spam business model survives on a vanishingly small response rate, and now you're part of it.

    Tim.

    ---

  4. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 18:31:18 +0100, "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I must have been at a loose end recently because instead of deleting spam, I've had a look at one
    >two of the sites...

    Simon, you need to ride your bike some more. :)

    BTW did you give that nice Nigerian bloke your bank account details so he can deposit 20,000,000
    USD in it?

    --
    Dave...

  5. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 18:31:18 +0100, "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I even bought a torch with an led that has no batteries, you shake it and a magnet travels through
    >a coil and charges up a capacitor.

    I know it's tempting if you see a good gadget, but IMO one should absolutely never buy anything from
    a spammer. If nobody bought anything spam would die out.

    Guy
    ===

  6. Dave

    Dave Guest

    <snip>
    > Anyway, this one has to be the most ludicrous, a soap that dissolves the fat below your skin, so
    > that the fat is carried away in your blood. Only
    > c.20 dollars a bar. Ha ha ha call the FDA.
    <snip> You mean it doesn't work??, Damn!!...I'll have to return it when it arrives...... but
    seriously..... I work as a life guard at our local swimming pool and one of the delights of working
    there is discovering what is floating about in the water. If I was a little more sensitive, I'd
    never get in a shared pool again! Apparently one of the substances is body fat. I haven't asked how
    it gets there yet but can only assume it dissolves in chlorine (or whatever the modern substitute
    for it is). So, in conclusion, the more time one spends in one's local swimming pool, the thinner
    one becomes......... I'll just get me trunks!

    Dave.

  7. "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > ..... I work as a life guard at our local swimming pool and one of the delights of working there
    > is discovering what is floating about in the water. If I was a little more sensitive, I'd never
    > get in a shared pool again! Apparently one of the substances is body fat. I haven't asked how it
    > gets there yet but can only assume it dissolves in chlorine....

    Surely this is grease from the skin surface rather than the underlying body fat that has soaked
    through the skin and into the pool!

  8. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I even bought a torch with an led that has no batteries, you shake it and a magnet travels
    > > through a coil and charges up a capacitor.
    >
    > I must have one! Where from Simon?

    There are quite a few shakelights available which are much cheaper from the USA direct. e.g. here

    http://www.wisementrading.com/flashlights/nightstar.htm

    However, I only got mine to prove a point at work where all personal battery operated items are
    banned, such as bike lights and Walkmans. If you're a manager and want to take your mobile, PDA and
    laptop in, that's OK though !

    The only real advantage of a shakelight over a battery torch is that there are no batteries
    to go flat.

  9. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    > "Peter B" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > I even bought a torch with an led that has no batteries, you shake it and a magnet travels
    > > > through a coil and charges up a capacitor.
    > >
    > > I must have one! Where from Simon?
    >
    > There are quite a few shakelights available which are much cheaper from
    the
    > USA direct. e.g. here
    >
    > http://www.wisementrading.com/flashlights/nightstar.htm

    BTW I can't vouch for that site, I got mine from somewhere else, but this page has the best
    descriptions. Simon

  10. In article <[email protected]>, Simon Mason wrote:
    > Anyway, this one has to be the most ludicrous, a soap that dissolves the fat below your skin, so
    > that the fat is carried away in your blood. Only
    >c.20 dollars a bar. Ha ha ha call the FDA.

    You could just wash with caustic soda when you've finished unsticking your seatpost with it, which
    turns the fat to soap, allowing it to be washed away. (Disclaimer: dilute NaOH will make your hands
    feels soapy because of this, but it isn't good for you, and we should have been more careful back in
    chemistry A-level. Using more concentrated stuff can give you nasty burns.)

  11. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Sun, 22 Jun 2003 18:31:18 +0100, "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >I must have been at a loose end recently because instead of deleting
    spam,
    > >I've had a look at one two of the sites...
    >
    > Simon, you need to ride your bike some more. :)
    >
    > BTW did you give that nice Nigerian bloke your bank account details so he can deposit 20,000,000
    > USD in it?
    >
    > --
    > Dave...

    I've just had one of these sick f*cks send me one of these scams, claiming to be in possession of 12
    million dollars of someone who died in the Lockerbie air disaster. Apparently no-one has come
    forward to claim it because his whole family died in the disaster too!! I'd love to reply and let
    them know just what sick f*cks I think they are
    (i.e. - give them a piece of my mind) but am worried they'd then put my i.d. to bad use or hurl
    abuse back in this direction that my son might come across. Cheers, Dave.

  12. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Adrian Boliston" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Dave" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > ..... I work as a life guard at our local swimming pool and one of the
    delights of
    > > working there is discovering what is floating about in the water. If I
    was a
    > > little more sensitive, I'd never get in a shared pool again! Apparently one of the substances is
    > > body fat. I haven't asked how it
    gets
    > > there yet but can only assume it dissolves in chlorine....
    >
    > Surely this is grease from the skin surface rather than the underlying
    body fat
    > that has soaked through the skin and into the pool!

    Like I said, haven't asked yet, just letting the imagination run riot. There should be lots of folks
    in our locale running round with big baggy skins, 'cos the fat underneath has just dissolved
    through...and there are a lot of very fat people use the pool....which then leads us to believe that
    the walk from the car to the poolside probably burns more body fat than the time they spend in the
    pool...'cos they don't seem to be getting any thinner!! Dave. -Don't have nuthin' against fat folks,
    just interestin' observations ;-)

  13. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    > ....which then leads us to believe that the walk from the car to the poolside probably burns more
    > body fat than the time
    they
    > spend in the pool...'cos they don't seem to be getting any thinner!!

    Some users of my local pool actually swim occasionally to have a break from talking :) I can
    imagine them fooling themselves they take regular exercise as they "go swimming" regularly.

    Pete

  14. Rory

    Rory Guest

    [email protected]g.uk (Alan Braggins) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > In article <[email protected]>, Simon Mason wrote:
    > > Anyway, this one has to be the most ludicrous, a soap that dissolves the fat below your skin, so
    > > that the fat is carried away in your blood. Only
    > >c.20 dollars a bar. Ha ha ha call the FDA.
    >
    > You could just wash with caustic soda when you've finished unsticking your seatpost with it, which
    > turns the fat to soap, allowing it to be washed away.
    Wasn't this one of the "economic" measures implemented about 50 years ago by an extreme European
    political group to help a certain ethnic group lose unwanted body fat (unwanted by the political
    group that is, not the owners of the body fat)?