ot--what are goatheads?

ilaboo

Guest
i read all sorts of messages about goathead flats--what the heck is a
goathead?--any photos appreciated

can you help this guy from da bronx?

tia
peter

On Jan 11, 4:09 pm, "ilaboo" <[email protected]> wrote:
> i read all sorts of messages about goathead flats--what the heck is a
> goathead?--any photos appreciated

It's a seed, a burr if you will.
I think this link
http://charmingjustcharming.blogspot.com/2006/01/goat-head-thorns.html

Here's another
http://landscapingboise.com/Weed Pages/WeedsPunctureVine.htm

But the pages that seem to be the most credible identify a different
plant, a taller plant, native to western Australia... I think these
links above are referring to an plant indigenous to the USofA, but
probably not common in the Bronx.

Not to be confused with the goat sucker...

Mr. Tuffy is your friend.

When I was a kid, and ran round barefoot all summer, I was well aware of
them. We called them "cow punchers," which should really be written "cow
punctures." The plants were "puncher vines." The other hazards we faced
were stepping on nails, and red ants. Ow!

DennisTheBald wrote:
> On Jan 11, 4:09 pm, "ilaboo" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> i read all sorts of messages about goathead flats--what the heck is a
>> goathead?--any photos appreciated

> It's a seed, a burr if you will.
> I think this link
> http://charmingjustcharming.blogspot.com/2006/01/goat-head-thorns.html
>
> Here's another
> http://landscapingboise.com/Weed Pages/WeedsPunctureVine.htm
>
> But the pages that seem to be the most credible identify a different
> plant, a taller plant, native to western Australia... I think these
> links above are referring to an plant indigenous to the USofA, but
> probably not common in the Bronx.

The plant pictured on the site you mention seems right to me. These are
a scourge in the West, but seemingly unknown in the East of the US.
Yes, the seeds are as nasty as they look. I grew up with them in
central California.

--

David L. Johnson

Let's be straight here. If we find something we can't understand we
like to call it something you can't understand, or indeed even
pronounce.
-- Douglas Adams

On Jan 11, 4:09 pm, "ilaboo" <[email protected]> wrote:
> i read all sorts of messages about goathead flats--what the heck is a
> goathead?--any photos appreciated
>
> can you help this guy from da bronx?
>
> tia
> peter

Wait till Carl Fogel sees this, he does the best articles on this
subject.

Lewis.

*****

Lewis who? writes:

>> i read all sorts of messages about goathead flats--what the heck is
>> a goathead?--any photos appreciated

>> can you help this guy from da bronx?

> Wait till Carl Fogel sees this, he does the best articles on this
> subject.

Well, he retells the story and shows pictures of a paved path with
cracks full of puncture vine and then continues to ride there, getting
more flats and using a stash of thirty or so inner tubes maintained
for that purpose. I have no sympathy for people who enter marked mine
fields.

Jobst Brandt

[email protected] aka Jobst Brandt wrote:
> Lewis who? writes:

Is not this known?

>>> i read all sorts of messages about goathead flats--what the heck is
>>> a goathead?--any photos appreciated

>>> can you help this guy from da bronx?

>> Wait till Carl Fogel sees this, he does the best articles on this
>> subject.

> Well, he retells the story and shows pictures of a paved path with
> cracks full of puncture vine and then continues to ride there, getting
> more flats and using a stash of thirty or so inner tubes maintained
> for that purpose. I have no sympathy for people who enter marked mine
> fields.

butbutbut, if "Dear Carl" did not get so many punctures from goatheads,
he would not have that excuse to post lengthy diatribes to rec.bicycle.*.

"And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people." A. Derleth

On Jan 11, 10:10 pm, Tom Sherman <[email protected]>
wrote:
> [email protected] aka Jobst Brandt wrote:
>
> > Lewis who? writes:

> Is not this known?

> >> Wait till Carl Fogel sees this, he does the best articles on this
> >> subject.

> > Well, he retells the story and shows pictures of a paved path with
> > cracks full of puncture vine and then continues to ride there, getting
> > more flats and using a stash of thirty or so inner tubes maintained
> > for that purpose. I have no sympathy for people who enter marked mine
> > fields.

> butbutbut, if "Dear Carl" did not get so many punctures from goatheads,
> he would not have that excuse to post lengthy diatribes to rec.bicycle.*.
>
> --
> Tom Sherman - Holstein-Friesland Bovinia
> "And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people." A. Derleth

Hi, Tom, about poor old Jobst, well this says it all:-

To those who understand, no explanation is necessary; to those who
don't understand, no explanation is possible. :)

Kind regards.

Lewis.

*****

First of all, that is not an OT question ROTFL!!!

The goathead thorn is proof positive that there IS a devil!

- -
Compliments of:
"Your Friendly Neighborhood Wheelman"

If you want to E-mail me use:
ChrisZCorner "at" webtv "dot" net

My website:
http://geocities.com/czcorner

From: [email protected] (David L. Johnson)

>The plant pictured on the site you
>mention seems right to me. These are a
>scourge in the West, but seemingly
>unknown in the East of the US. Yes, the
>seeds are as nasty as they look. I grew
>up with them in central California.
>--
>David L. Johnson

I think you might be right on that. When I moved to South Carolina from
California, the dredded goathed dissappeared. I've ridden here for 6
years now and have yet to see one thorn, on or off road. The same goes
for North Carolina and eastern Tennessee.

- -