OT: What Google Groups ratings mean

I've just been asked why I think that I can get away with manipulating
Google Groups ratings.

Puzzled, I looked at the Google Groups RBT page:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.tech

Sure enough, one thread does stand out like a sore thumb.

Going back through a few screens of old threads reveals almost no
threads with any rating.

Google help seems to say that somewhere you can rate a thread once (and
once only).

Still baffled, I finally scrolled through the thread.

Aha! Two of nineteen posters have figured out how to rate that 38-post
thread--five yellow stars show up next to their posts.

They're ahead of me. I haven't figured out how to rate a thread yet in
Google Groups. Maybe when you post a reply, the option shows up?

I'm none too sure what the rating means--interest, agreement, good
penmanship?

Maybe this will prompt a wild flurry of meaningless Google ballot-box
stuffing.

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

[email protected] wrote:
> I've just been asked why I think that I can get away with manipulating
> Google Groups ratings.
>
> Puzzled, I looked at the Google Groups RBT page:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.tech
>
> Sure enough, one thread does stand out like a sore thumb.
>
> Going back through a few screens of old threads reveals almost no
> threads with any rating.
>
> Google help seems to say that somewhere you can rate a thread once (and
> once only).
>
> Still baffled, I finally scrolled through the thread.
>
> Aha! Two of nineteen posters have figured out how to rate that 38-post
> thread--five yellow stars show up next to their posts.
>
> They're ahead of me. I haven't figured out how to rate a thread yet in
> Google Groups. Maybe when you post a reply, the option shows up?
>
> I'm none too sure what the rating means--interest, agreement, good
> penmanship?
>
> Maybe this will prompt a wild flurry of meaningless Google ballot-box
> stuffing.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Carl Fogel

I am not sure about the ratings, but then again I never post using
google anyway. But often I find myself looking for a quick anyswer in
the archives. But the search feature doesn't alway bring back relevant
results.

Ken
--
New cycling jersey: $49