[OT] Where is Mr. Tom Sherman?

Edward Dolan

Guest
Anyone else here except me notice the absence of Mr. Sherman? He once threatened to leave ARBR and
indicated that he would just leave and not make a big hullabaloo about it.

I am thinking about leaving myself, but unlike Mr. Sherman, I am going to make a really big
hullabaloo about it. I will take my leave over a course of many months. It will be the longest
goodbye in Usenet history. I will rant and rave and drive you all to distraction with my leave
taking. I entered this newsgroup in a fury and that is the way I will depart it too. I feel that you
all deserve no less.

But getting back to Mr. Sherman, I do note that his name is appearing on another newsgroup,
something called rec. bicycles. tech. Well, he always was a nuts and bolts kind of guy and I hope he
will be happier there than he ever was here. I can think of some others on this newsgroup who might
be happier over there too. Old Cletus of Texas would be right at home over there where he could
discuss the intricacies of bike parts and accessories to his heart's content and presumably not be
disturbed by any off-topic posting. At least not by me as I have no interest in the nuts and bolts
of bikes, recumbents or otherwise.

But can you imagine someone who has been on a newsgroup like forever and then just leaves without
even saying goodbye. Strikes me as being downright rude. But maybe that is how liberals behave. We
conservatives think everyone deserves more than just a disappearing act. Even if we leave in a huff,
you are due an explanation.

But since he is gone without extending to the group any courtesies, I say good riddance and may he
never return! But if he should turn up again here on this newsgroup like a bad penny, then I will be
ever at the ready to resume combat. Let's face it, he will not meet any characters over there on
rec. bicycles. tech half as interesting as I am nor as interesting as the rest of us are here on
ARBR (with the sole exception of Cletus who only knows how to object to OT).

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

[email protected] (Edward Dolan) wrote:
> I am thinking about leaving myself, but unlike Mr. Sherman, I am going to make a really big
> hullabaloo about it. ... But since he is gone without extending to the group any courtesies, I say
> good riddance and may he never return! But if he should turn up again here on this newsgroup like
> a bad penny, then I will be ever at the ready to resume combat.

Your boorishness is exceeded only by your inflated sense of self- importance. Do everyone a favor
and leave quickly.

> [email protected] (Edward Dolan) wrote:

> > I am thinking about leaving myself, but unlike Mr. Sherman, I am going to make a really big
> > hullabaloo about it. ... But since he is gone without extending to the group any courtesies, I
> > say good riddance and may he never return! But if he should turn up again here on this newsgroup
> > like a bad penny, then I will be ever at the ready to resume combat.
>
> Your boorishness is exceeded only by your inflated sense of self- importance. Do everyone a favor
> and leave quickly.

No, I can only leave in my own good time and can not be rushed. There are other idiots here that
have to be dealt with besides the estimable
Mr. Sherman. But if you miss him, I have told you where you can find him. Perhaps the two of you can
discuss nuts and bolts together over there on rec. bicycles. tech. and spare the rest of us your
boring trivialities. And you can take Cletus with you while you are at it.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Hi Ed,

Where have you been? It has been relatively quiet around here of late. I guess you have been saving
up for a glorious finale.

I hate to bring up some nuts and bolts but....I put the Thracians with Stelvios on the V2. Now we
wait for better weather to give them a try, hopefully this weekend. At least we know they look cool.

Spring is just around the next corner...

Jack

"Edward Dolan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

news:<[email protected]>...

> > [email protected] (Edward Dolan) wrote:
>
> > > I am thinking about leaving myself, but unlike Mr. Sherman, I am going to make a really big
> > > hullabaloo about it. ... But since he is gone without extending to the group any courtesies, I
> > > say good riddance and may he never return! But if he should turn up again here on this
> > > newsgroup like a bad penny, then I will be ever at the ready to resume combat.
> >
> > Your boorishness is exceeded only by your inflated sense of self- importance. Do everyone a
> > favor and leave quickly.
>
> No, I can only leave in my own good time and can not be rushed. There are other idiots here that
> have to be dealt with besides the estimable
> Mr. Sherman. But if you miss him, I have told you where you can find him. Perhaps the two of you
> can discuss nuts and bolts together over there on rec. bicycles. tech. and spare the rest of
> us your boring trivialities. And you can take Cletus with you while you are at it.
>
> Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Please shut up and go away yourself. You comments are asinine, narcissistic, and off-topic.

Chris Crawford

In article <[email protected]>, Gary Fritz says...

>[email protected] (Edward Dolan) wrote:
>> I am thinking about leaving myself, but unlike Mr. Sherman, I am going to make a really big
>> hullabaloo about it. ... But since he is gone without extending to the group any courtesies, I
>> say good riddance and may he never return! But if he should turn up again here on this newsgroup
>> like a bad penny, then I will be ever at the ready to resume combat.
>
>Your boorishness is exceeded only by your inflated sense of self- importance. Do everyone a favor
>and leave quickly.

And quietly!!!

Ed - surprised to hear from you. I thought by now you'd be riding your 'bent across the length and
breadth of Iraq, looking for those WMDs.

[email protected] (Edward Dolan) wrote:
> But if you miss him, I have told you where you can find him. Perhaps the two of you can discuss
> nuts and bolts together over there on rec. bicycles. tech. and spare the rest of us your boring
> trivialities.

Obviously you've been too busy spewing your verbal diarrhea to notice that I very seldom post to
arbr. It's even more rare that I discuss anything with Tom.

It's not Tom that I miss. It's the climate of friendly exchange and civility that you work so hard
to pollute and destroy. You're like a punk kid who breaks windows and sprays graffiti on every nice
building in sight, because you get your sick jollies by destroying someone else's property and
seeing your mark in public.

Tell me, do you also mug old ladies and practice random drive-by shootings in your community? That
would fit with the vitriolic persona you like to portray here. Or maybe you're satisfied to accost
and beat up any citizen who might dare to disagree with your extreme opinions, just like your Big
Bad Conservative Avenger avatar does here on arbr.

More likely you're a weenie with an inferiority complex who tries to convince himself he's a
real tough guy by talking big behind the protection of a computer screen. But that's just my
personal opinion.

"jim h" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Ed - surprised to hear from you. I thought by now you'd be riding your 'bent across the length and
> breadth of Iraq, looking for those WMDs.

Jim,

I keep biting my tongue at Ed's pontification, but every now and then he brings out the
'burst' in ya...

WMD;s? Umm Jim. Ed IS one. ;o)

Slow Joe Recumbo

news:[email protected]:

> do you also mug old ladies

Swap the subject and the object of that sentence :)

I'm reminded of a former co-worker who would occupy the entrance to someone's cube and go into some
twisted "Kevin Bacon Connection Game" where every subject came down to one of two choice political
issues. Similarly, Ed's position on the political right or left is irrelevant; he is dangerously
close to self-parody. Just spouting any old thing that comes to mind without so much as a "pull my
finger" masquerades as wisdom in no society.

Oddly enough, I used to ride with a guy named Gary Fritz, but that was pre- recumbent.

(bitshift - if you dare BWAHAHAHAHA).

"Jack Davis" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<fgI%[email protected]>...

> Hi Ed,
>
> Where have you been? It has been relatively quiet around here of late. I guess you have been
> saving up for a glorious finale.

Jack, I can only be found on off-topic posts as that is my karma here on ARBR. Always look for me
where the invective is flying fast and furious. You could also do a search for swear words on Google
and I am most likely the guy behind the words. Life is not easy when you are combative.

> I hate to bring up some nuts and bolts but....I put the Thracians with Stelvios on the V2. Now
> we wait for better weather to give them a try, hopefully this weekend. At least we know they
> look cool.

I used to get all excited about the latest and greatest parts and components too, but now I am
thankful if I can just get out on any bike at all and go around the lake on my 5 mile road at 10
miles per hour.

> Spring is just around the next corner...

The Canadian geese were back from the Southland for the very first time out on the lake today, a
sure sign of spring.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Steve Christensen <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> In article <[email protected]>, Gary Fritz says...
> >
> >[email protected] (Edward Dolan) wrote:

> >> I am thinking about leaving myself, but unlike Mr. Sherman, I am going to make a really big
> >> hullabaloo about it. ... But since he is gone without extending to the group any courtesies, I
> >> say good riddance and may he never return! But if he should turn up again here on this
> >> newsgroup like a bad penny, then I will be ever at the ready to resume combat.
> >
> >Your boorishness is exceeded only by your inflated sense of self- importance. Do everyone a favor
> >and leave quickly.
>
> And quietly!!!

I think it is very sad to leave a newsgroup "quietly" like Mr. Sherman did after having posted
zillions of messages to us all for several years almost on a daily basis. Don't you?

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Chris Crawford <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Please shut up and go away yourself. You comments are asinine, narcissistic, and off-topic.
>
> Chris Crawford

Hi there Chris! Your message is the kind of note that I really cherish and appreciate. There are
just so many ways to respond to it that I am at a loss for words - almost, but not quite.

On thinking it over, I will just throw it back in your face as any subtleties and refinement would
be wasted on you. So you are asinine, narcissistic - and off-topic yourself! The topic of this
thread is the manner of Mr. Sherman's leaving this newsgroup. Maybe if you would address that and
instead of your pitiful attempt to insult me we could make some progress.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

"jim h" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> Ed - surprised to hear from you. I thought by now you'd be riding your 'bent across the length and
> breadth of Iraq, looking for those WMDs.

No Jim, you are not going to get me off-topic! This thread is all about how Mr. Sherman leaves a
newsgroup after posting to it zillions of messages for many years. I am saddened and shocked
that someone can just pick up and leave like that. If and when I leave I will pull out my little
black book in which I have many names entered and I will have a little something to say to each
and everyone of you. I mean, are we human beings here or are we just ciphers who come and go in
the night.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

On 26 Feb 2004 20:43:39 -0800, [email protected] (Edward Dolan) wrote:

>Anyone else here except me notice the absence of Mr. Sherman? He once threatened to leave ARBR and
>indicated that he would just leave and not make a big hullabaloo about it.
>
>I am thinking about leaving myself, but unlike Mr. Sherman, I am going to make a really big
>hullabaloo about it. I will take my leave over a course of many months.

And forgotten in a day.....but, that's life, everybody's indespensible. Get used to it.

des6327

>It will be the longest goodbye in Usenet history. I will rant and rave and drive you all to
>distraction with my leave taking. I entered this newsgroup in a fury and that is the way I will
>depart it too. I feel that you all deserve no less.
>
>But getting back to Mr. Sherman, I do note that his name is appearing on another newsgroup,
>something called rec. bicycles. tech. Well, he always was a nuts and bolts kind of guy and I hope
>he will be happier there than he ever was here. I can think of some others on this newsgroup who
>might be happier over there too. Old Cletus of Texas would be right at home over there where he
>could discuss the intricacies of bike parts and accessories to his heart's content and presumably
>not be disturbed by any off-topic posting. At least not by me as I have no interest in the nuts and
>bolts of bikes, recumbents or otherwise.
>
>But can you imagine someone who has been on a newsgroup like forever and then just leaves without
>even saying goodbye. Strikes me as being downright rude. But maybe that is how liberals behave. We
>conservatives think everyone deserves more than just a disappearing act. Even if we leave in a
>huff, you are due an explanation.
>
>But since he is gone without extending to the group any courtesies, I say good riddance and may he
>never return! But if he should turn up again here on this newsgroup like a bad penny, then I will
>be ever at the ready to resume combat. Let's face it, he will not meet any characters over there on
>rec. bicycles. tech half as interesting as I am nor as interesting as the rest of us are here on
>ARBR (with the sole exception of Cletus who only knows how to object to OT).
>
>Ed Dolan - Minnesota

Ed, Tom Sherman got an offer from Al Franken to be a regular on the new liberal talk radio network.
He's too busy to post on ARBR right now, but you'll be hearing him on your car radio soon.

[email protected] (Edward Dolan) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Anyone else here except me notice the absence of Mr. Sherman?

Tom has been gone before. He will be gone again. Many of us come and go on this group. Some of us
have a life!

> Let's face it, he will not meet any characters over there on rec. bicycles. tech half as
> interesting as I am

If you really were so interesting you wouldn't have to tell us about
it.

You still don't have a clue!

Perry B - Minnesota

If I'm not mistaken, Tom is a consulting civil engineer and I'm pretty sure that he's mentioned that
he's 'on the road' quite a bit. Plus, here in the midwest U.S. the winter weather has finally
broken, allowing heavy civil construction to get back underway. So perhaps that's where he is-
pursuing the perfect highway. Then again, maybe he's in love. With a woman, that is.

rich, a fellow resident of Illinois (known far and wide as the land of romance and mystery)

> [email protected] (Edward Dolan) wrote:

> > But if you miss him, I have told you where you can find him. Perhaps the two of you can discuss
> > nuts and bolts together over there on rec. bicycles. tech. and spare the rest of us your boring
> > trivialities.
>
> Obviously you've been too busy spewing your verbal diarrhea to notice that I very seldom post to
> arbr. It's even more rare that I discuss anything with Tom.

But surely you read his posts. How is it possible not to read his posts since he is always posting
on every thread extant.

> It's not Tom that I miss. It's the climate of friendly exchange and civility that you work so hard
> to pollute and destroy. You're like a punk kid who breaks windows and sprays graffiti on every
> nice building in sight, because you get your sick jollies by destroying someone else's property
> and seeing your mark in public.

Every post of mine is a response in kind. For instance, how polite do you think I am going to be
with a jerk like you. Please try to get real!

> Tell me, do you also mug old ladies and practice random drive-by shootings in your community? That
> would fit with the vitriolic persona you like to portray here. Or maybe you're satisfied to accost
> and beat up any citizen who might dare to disagree with your extreme opinions, just like your Big
> Bad Conservative Avenger avatar does here on arbr.

No, I am the soul of politeness and gentility. What gets said on this newsgroup has little or
nothing to do with real life. You apparently are not used to being disagreed with which is why you
think I am being disagreeable whenever I disagree with someone. You need to take stock of yourself
and try to get your head screwed on straight.

As is well known of course, only conservatives have "extreme opinions." Liberals never have "extreme
opinions" although they can never seem to find the mainstream.

> More likely you're a weenie with an inferiority complex who tries to convince himself he's a real
> tough guy by talking big behind the protection of a computer screen. But that's just my personal
> opinion.

I am not into any tough guy sort of thing. That is for jerks! But why should I go through life
agreeing with others just for the purpose of being able to get along with them. Do you think it is
important to be able to get along with others even if it means you have to squelch what you think
and say and write. No, I don't think it would be worth
it. I mean, who is it that I want to get along with anyway. Surely not jerks like you!

Has anyone here but me noticed how I quote Fritz's remarks fully but that he takes my messages out
of context and zeros in on what he has deigned to notice, all the time missing the subject of this
thread. At least when I am off-topic I know it and do not confuse what I want to say with what the
actual subject of the thread is about.

This is also why I do not take any criticism of being off-topic in the least bit serious. There
isn't one person in ten on this newsgroup who has enough intellectual rigor to ever know what the
subject is on a particular thread let alone know how to stay on it once they have discovered what
the actual subject is. But I am not here to educate you; I am here to excoriate you.

Ed Dolan - Minnesota

"Howard the Benevo-'bent" <bishop(1199<<1)@yazhooz.com> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> news:[email protected]:
>
> > do you also mug old ladies
>
> Swap the subject and the object of that sentence :)
>
> I'm reminded of a former co-worker who would occupy the entrance to someone's cube and go into
> some twisted "Kevin Bacon Connection Game" where every subject came down to one of two choice
> political issues. Similarly, Ed's position on the political right or left is irrelevant; he is
> dangerously close to self-parody. Just spouting any old thing that comes to mind without so much
> as a "pull my finger" masquerades as wisdom in no society.

Howard at least knows how to read and get the gist of something. The truth is I am having a fine old
time parodying the lot of us. And yes, I include myself above all others. I have never in my life
known such a serious group of folks as those to be found here on ARBR. Everyone should lighten up,
sit back and enjoy the human comedy for so long as we are above ground.

But I am not a one note Johnny like so many here. I range widely in my interests and do not see
why I should narrowly confine my comments to a particular subject when I can confer so many
beneficial bits of wisdom on everyone assembled here. And I am not even charging a fee for my
services. Just a thank you every now and then would be appreciated. I mean, just how dull do you
want this newsgroup to be?

Ed Dolan - Minnesota