[OT] Where to find laws on the internet? Toys R Us Trying to shut down a site

> Try calling your new model of car a "325" and see what happens.

You have to wonder about the wisdom of Citroen calling a car C5

The Patent Office is very helpful. You need to look at Trade Marks and Design Rights. From a cursory
read of the stuff I think they might struggle as I doubt you are acting in the areas defined by
their trademarks and could hardly be said to be likely to confuse their customers.

You could always offer to sell them the name and domain name. Friends of mine beat of McDonalds when
they tried to stop him calling a chain of Chinese fast food shops McChina. The judge in Court said
of McDonalds "Anyone who thinks they own rights to anything with the Mc prefix should consult the
Glasgow telephone directory"

Tony

"Mark Thompson" <[email protected] (change warm for hot)> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Sorry for the utter and almost complete OT-ness of this post[1] but you lot
are
> always quoting bits and pieces from laws. Anyone any idea if the text to
the UK
> law relating to Trademark infringement and internet domin names is on the
web?
> A website I occasionally visit is under threat of legal action by Toy R Us
> (http://www.ratzrus.co.uk/toysrus.htm), despite being non-commercial and not about Toy R Us at
> all. We don't think that the trademark laws apply to non-commercial sites but would like to make
> sure. Any other information
would
> be helpful if you've got it to hand - I assume this kind of pointless
bullying
> happens quite a lot.
>
> Oh, to make it a bit on topic, my rat absolutely loves sitting on the
handlebars
> of my bike when I'm riding. It'll be wearing lycra next...
>

> [1] If you're using OE then Tool, Message Rules, News, New. Then click the
box
> 'Where the subject line contains specific words'. then select 'delete it'. Click on the blue text
> at the bottom and type in [OT] (including the square brackets). You'll never see another correctly
> tagged off topic post again
:)

> ---

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 21:11:35 -0000, "Frobnitz"
<eddie_d@@@blueyonder.ocbackwards.uk> wrote (more or less):

>"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
>> Try calling your new model of car a "325" and see what happens.
>>
>You have to wonder about the wisdom of Citroen calling a car C5

Or calling a car the MR2 in France. (a homonym of '****' in the local pronunciation) Toyota used a
different name after a while

Or calling a car the Nova in Spanish-speaking territories. (It means 'doesn't go' chevrolet didn't
sell many of these in Mexico...)

Cheers, Euan Gawnsoft: http://www.gawnsoft.co.sr Symbian/Epoc wiki: http://html.dnsalias.net:1122

> You could always offer to sell them the name and
> domain name.

Ah, that would show evidence of bad faith, and thus lose the
owner all her rights! It's basically there to stop cyber-
squatters.

Incidentally, my sneaking suspicion that this would be the
right newsgroup to post on was right - you've all been far
more helpful (and vocal) than the miserable buggers over
on uk.legal!

Cheers guys

---
virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.601 /
Virus Database: 382 - Release Date: 29/02/2004

Gawnsoft wrote:

> You can't /trademark/ a number. Which is, indeed, why
> Intel went to

You /can/ do something with a number, though I'm not sure
what. Porsche were going to call a well-known "ass-engined
Nazi slot-car" the 901 until they discovered that all three-
digit combinations with a 0 in the middle were the
"property" of Peugeot.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 12:07:58 -0000, Dave Larrington <[email protected]>
wrote:

> Gawnsoft wrote:
>
>> You can't /trademark/ a number. Which is, indeed, why
>> Intel went to
>
> You /can/ do something with a number, though I'm not sure
> what. Porsche were going to call a well-known "ass-engined
> Nazi slot-car" the 901 until they discovered that all three-
> digit combinations with a 0 in the middle were the
> "property" of Peugeot.

I once heard, probably apocryphally, that IBM bought the
number 800 from Atari.

Colin
--

<[email protected]> wrote (more or less):

>Gawnsoft wrote:
>
>> You can't /trademark/ a number. Which is, indeed, why
>> Intel went to
>
>You /can/ do something with a number, though I'm not sure
>what. Porsche were going to call a well-known "ass-engined
>Nazi slot-car" the 901 until they discovered that all three-
>digit combinations with a 0 in the middle were the
>"property" of Peugeot.

Not in the USA, which is what Intel was principally
concerned with.

Cheers, Euan Gawnsoft: http://www.gawnsoft.co.sr
Symbian/Epoc wiki: http://html.dnsalias.net:1122 Smalltalk
links (harvested from comp.lang.smalltalk)
http://html.dnsalias.net/gawnsoft/smalltalk

Alan Braggins wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Gawnsoft wrote:
>

>>Or calling a car the Nova in Spanish-speaking territories.
>>(It means 'doesn't go' chevrolet didn't sell many of these
>>in Mexico...)
>

> http://www.snopes.com/business/misxlate/nova.asp "Claim:
> The Chevrolet Nova sold poorly in Spanish-speaking
> countries because its name translates as "doesn't go" in
> Spanish. Status: False. "

However the Toyota MR2 is just the Toyota MR in France.

David Off wrote:

> However the Toyota MR2 is just the Toyota MR in France.

And the Mitsubishi Pajero was renamed Montero in Spanish
speaking markets (Pajero being Spanish slang for w***er)

Tony