OT Where's my royalties?

On 25/6/04 9:53 pm, in article [email protected],
"Jon Senior" <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote:

>> Do you object to 'laser' or 'scuba'?

> LASER. I have no problems with. Nor scuba for that matter, although I
> don't know its origins off-hand.

LASER - light amplified by stimulated emission of radiation
SCUBA - self-contained underwater breathing apparatus

...d

Keith Willoughby [email protected] opined the following...
> It's been just under a thousand years since the Norman invasion. That
> seems a good baseline for 'English'. However, if you're reduced to
> nitpicking that figure . . .

No. Seems as good as any other. I wasn't sure what the significance was.

> >> Well, the analogy isn't nearly the same. Nobody sane calls a cat a
> >> dog. The NATO Phonetic Alphabet is known as such by millions of
> >> people.

> > So in the thought experiment above... is the child insane?

> The child doesn't exist. It's all very well postulating situations that
> don't exist as "thought experiments", but it bore no relationship to reality.

Are you suggesting that the above is impossible?

> > Did you in fact read it, or did you just decide that I referred to
> > cats as dogs and charge on regardless?

> No, I read it. And I told you the analogy isn't relevant. It isn't.

Is too. ;-) A thought experiment allows you to explore avenues of
thought in a similar manner to a real experiment. There is nothing
impractical or impossible about the experiment I offered.

> > Personal Idenitification Number Number. You know you're absolutely right
> > there!

> *Yes, I am right*. See, people don't say "personal identification number
> number". They say "PIN Number". It's not the same thing at all. I can
> tell the difference, so why can't you?

And "pin" means? http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=pin&db=* will
provide some answers. The page contains two definitions which are
abbreviations. If you treat "pin" as a word in its own right, then a
"pin number" makes no sense (Except possibly when referring to a large
numbered collection of sharp metallic objects!). If it is an
abbreviation, then the sentence should make sense with the abbreviation
expanded.

> > And you think that I would be the one lacking social skills in that
> > situation?

> That's right.

OK. Limited circle of friends? Do you find it difficult to hold normal
conversations without resorting to swear words? Or is it just strangers
at whom you are happy to swear?

> > Could you really not deal with them without resorting to insults and
> > foul language?

> I could. I would choose not to. See, sometimes it's not "resorting" to
> insults and "foul" language. Sometimes, it's heartily deserved as the
> first response.

Such as when the cagers try to kill me. Even then it's the adrenaline
talking.

> > Yes. It is. Speaking as someone who has relatively recently been
> > educated I can safely say that there is a significant dumbing down
> > occurring in this society. If you are in any doubt, try checking the TV
> > schedules,

> No, hang on. The subject is the use of neologisms, not what's on TV. How
> does the creation of the word 'lasing' indicate 'dumbing down'? Who on
> Earth is using 'lasing' in a 'dumb' manner? How does the 50-year usage
> of "Phonetic Alphabet" lead to dumbing down?

"Lasing" is indicative of dumbing down because it provides a continuous
tense for a non-existant verb. I do not lase. Scientists have not lased.
Laser is an abbreviation. It already made little sense as a noun. It
makes even less sense as one part of a non-existant verb. For someone to
think "lasing" is possible, implies a major crack in their comprehension
of language. Not the rules of grammar as defined in a book, but its
daily usage.

The usage of "Phonetic Alphabet" does not necessarily lead to dumbing
down (Although in some cases it does lead to misunderstanding). It does
however shown up a lack of understanding.

> What word would you prefer for that act? And does your distaste stretch
> to all neologisms concerned with new technology?

Why does it need "a" word? What was wrong with "firing a laser"? It has
served us well for many years, which seems to be both your argument for
the use of a word, and against it.

> > I presume that you can cite a number of points at which I have forced
> > this issue into an unrelated conversation.

> You said yourself that you correct people whenever it comes up. It
> appears to be a crusade.

The key point here is "whenever it comes up". It has come up now about 3
times in my life. You implied that I go out of my way to bring the topic
up. I do not.

> <snigger> You'll have to do a bit better than that. Having little regard
> or patience for pedants is hardly sociopathic behaviour.

I never suggested it was (Although it may be indicative of such a
tendency). Having abusive language as a considered response to a
stranger offering a correction would suggest sociopathic behaviour.

Jon

David Martin [email protected] opined the following...
> LASER - light amplified by stimulated emission of radiation
> SCUBA - self-contained underwater breathing apparatus

Thankyou.

Jon

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 18:14:09 +0100, "Simon Mason"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Did any one find out about my royalties then?

Stop trying to change the subject!

--
Dave...

Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 15:44:01 +0100, "Tony Raven"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>My dictionary gives it pronounciation as du-ter-ium

But what about it's phonetic spelling?

--
Dave...

Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 16:10:01 +0100, "Clive George"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"Dave Kahn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>
>> Who among us who has ever read Richard Scarry to small children can
>> ever forget the wonderful character Able Baker Charlie? (Along with
>> Jason the Mason and Lowly Worm.)

>But am I alone in thinking that Richard Scarry books were desperately dull?

Maybe not alone, but probably in a very small minority.

--
Dave...

Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 15:16:43 GMT, Graeme
<[email protected]> wrote:

>[email protected] (Dave Kahn) wrote in news:57db8bde.0406250652.24b63b03
>@posting.google.com:
>
>> Who among us who has ever read Richard Scarry to small children can
>> ever forget the wonderful character Able Baker Charlie? (Along with
>> Jason the Mason and Lowly Worm.)
>>

>Lowly Worm was cool! How the hell did he drive that wee car with no hands
>though?

He was a typical bloody cager.

--

Jon Senior wrote:

> "Lasing" is indicative of dumbing down because it provides a continuous
> tense for a non-existant verb. I do not lase. Scientists have not lased.
> Laser is an abbreviation. It already made little sense as a noun. It
> makes even less sense as one part of a non-existant verb. For someone to
> think "lasing" is possible, implies a major crack in their comprehension
> of language. Not the rules of grammar as defined in a book, but its
> daily usage.

Laser is an acronym being a word, in this case a noun or adjective, formed
from the initial letters of other words. Lasing is the present participle
(not continuous tense) of the verb "to lase" which is a verb you will find in
any modern dictionary and is certainly not a "non-existent verb" nor a major
crack in comprehension of the language. It is in fact a word widely used in
the photonics and optics communities and well accepted in the standard modern
dictionaries as an integral part of the language. If you doubt me I refer you
to any copy of the OED from the mid 1960s onwards.

Tony

Dave Kahn wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 15:44:01 +0100, "Tony Raven"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> My dictionary gives it pronounciation as du-ter-ium

> But what about it's phonetic spelling?

I would have done that but don't have the necessary character set installed
;-)

Tony

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 16:04:38 +0100, David Martin
<[email protected]> () wrote:

>On 25/6/04 3:35 pm, in article [email protected], "Robert Bruce"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> mae <[email protected]> wedi ysgrifennu:
>>>
>>> I used to know all of them. Anybody feel like filling in the gaps?

>> xhosa?

>A for 'orses

[...]
>Z for breezes

I'm glad you posted this. Saved me the trouble. :)

--
Matt K
Waikikamukau,NZ

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 21:59:05 +0100, Keith Willoughby
<[email protected]> wrote:

>It's been just under a thousand years since the Norman invasion. That
>seems a good baseline for 'English'.

At this William rose, cool but 'aughty,
And said 'Give us none of your cheek;
You'd best have your throne re-upholstered,
I'll be wanting to use it next week.'

When 'Arold heard this 'ere defiance,
With rage he turned purple and blue,
And shouted some rude words in Saxon,
To which William answered - 'And you.'

--
Dave...

Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain

In message <[email protected]>, Jon Senior
<jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk@?.?.invalid> writes
>Keith Willoughby [email protected] opined the following...
>>
>> *Yes, I am right*. See, people don't say "personal identification number
>> number". They say "PIN Number". It's not the same thing at all. I can
>> tell the difference, so why can't you?

>And "pin" means? http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=pin&db=* will
>provide some answers. The page contains two definitions which are
>abbreviations. If you treat "pin" as a word in its own right, then a
>"pin number" makes no sense (Except possibly when referring to a large
>numbered collection of sharp metallic objects!). If it is an
>abbreviation, then the sentence should make sense with the abbreviation
>expanded.

Depends on what you mean by 'makes sense' really. While it is
'incorrect' to use 'PIN number', if someone is asked for their PIN
number, they certainly understand what you mean, so it certainly makes
sense.
--
Chris French, Leeds

"Jon Senior" <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

cats

When

has

> Is too. ;-) A thought experiment allows you to explore avenues of
> thought in a similar manner to a real experiment. There is nothing
> impractical or impossible about the experiment I offered.

Doing the experiment you suggest would definitely be impractical...

cheers,
clive

chris French wrote:

> Depends on what you mean by 'makes sense' really. While it is
> 'incorrect' to use 'PIN number', if someone is asked for their PIN
> number, they certainly understand what you mean, so it certainly makes
> sense.

I suspect if you asked for their PI number they would look thoroughly confused
and try to tell you its 3.142.......

Tony ;-)

chris French wrote:

> Depends on what you mean by 'makes sense' really. While it is
> 'incorrect' to use 'PIN number', if someone is asked for their PIN
> number, they certainly understand what you mean, so it certainly makes
> sense.

I used to use a PIN number to get money out of an ATM machine at the TSB
bank.

James
by treading on the toes of giants.

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 12:56:16 +0100, David Martin
<[email protected]> wrote (more or less):

>On 25/6/04 12:14 pm, in article [email protected],
>"Richard Bates" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>Various alternatives..
>
>The best I found are
>
>C as in cue
>D as in double-U
>E as in Ewe
>T as in Oolong
>

>http://www.wis.co.uk/justin/phonetic-alphabet.html
>http://www.panix.com/~vr/alphabet.html

A is for 'orses...

--
Cheers,
Euan

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 21:53:21 +0100, Jon Senior
<jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote (more or less):

>Gawnsoft [email protected] opined the
>following...
>> On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 21:08:11 +0100, Jon Senior
>> <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote (more or less):
>>
>> >Keith Willoughby [email protected] opined the following...

>> >And here we must part company!

>> Do you object to Shakespeare?

>Not particularly.
>
>> During his lifetime, he near doubled the number of words in the
>> English language.

>By adding new ones, not by changing the meaning of the existing ones.

'Lasing' is a new word.

So why do you object to its addition?

>> Do you object to 'television' or 'televising'?

>No. Well. I object to a number of things shown on television, and thus,
>televised!
>
>> Do you object to 'laser' or 'scuba'?

>LASER. I have no problems with. Nor scuba for that matter, although I
>don't know its origins off-hand.

LASER is an abbreviation, which becomes the acronym laser.

Just as 'Self contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus' gets
abbreviated to 'SCUBA', and becomes the acronym 'scuba'.

>> How about 'cellphone'?

>Nope.
>
>Why?

Because you onjected to 'lasing', seemingly because it was a
newly-minted word. (Or 'inkhorn word' as they were known in
Shakespeare's time).

--
Cheers,
Euan
Gawnsoft: http://www.gawnsoft.co.sr

On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 23:22:41 +0100, Jon Senior
<jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote (more or less):
>"Lasing" is indicative of dumbing down because it provides a continuous
>tense for a non-existant verb. I do not lase. Scientists have not lased.

True - in the same way that broadcasters don't televise.

>Laser is an abbreviation.

No, LASER is an abbreviation. 'laser' is an acronym.

> It already made little sense as a noun. It
>makes even less sense as one part of a non-existant verb. For someone to
>think "lasing" is possible, implies a major crack in their comprehension
>of language. Not the rules of grammar as defined in a book, but its
>daily usage.

So you assert, but you've yet to demonstrate.

--
Cheers,
Euan
Gawnsoft: http://www.gawnsoft.co.sr

Jon Senior <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote:
> > During his lifetime, he near doubled the number of words in the
> > English language.

> By adding new ones, not by changing the meaning of the existing ones.

Well, _someone_ was changing the language between Chaucer and
Shakespeare. The latter you can read easily, even with the spelling not
modernised. The former is very hard work, probably impossible, for the
untrained reader without a parallel translation.

> > Do you object to 'laser' or 'scuba'?

> LASER. I have no problems with. Nor scuba for that matter, although I
> don't know its origins off-hand.

How come you capitalise Light Amplification by Stimulated Emmission of
Radiation, but don't capitalise Self Contained Underwater Breathing
Apparatus?

ian

In article <[email protected]>,
Jon Senior <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote:
> of new words, where they don't have knock on effects on existing ones,

So you'd say that all the changes to English since, oh

``Whilom ther was dwellynge at Oxonford
A riche gnof, that gestes heeld to bord
And of his craft he was a carpenter
With hym the was dwellynge a poure scoler
Haddle lerned art, but al his fantasye
Was terned for to lerne astrologye
And koude a certeyn of conclusions
To demen by interrogaciouns''

Or maybe (and apologies for character set issues):

``Hwaet! We Gardena in geardagum,
peodcyninga, prym gefrunon,
hu oa aepelingas ellen fremedon.
Oft Scyld Scefing sceapena preatum,''

was decay? Because as sure as hell the changes to English words over its
history have had ``knock on effects on existing ones''.

ian