OT Where's my royalties?

Jon Senior wrote:

> Keith Willoughby [email protected] opined the following...
> And "pin" means? http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=pin&db=* will
> provide some answers. The page contains two definitions which are
> abbreviations. If you treat "pin" as a word in its own right, then a
> "pin number" makes no sense

Sure it does. Everyone knows what a PIN number is. All the sense in the
world.

> (Except possibly when referring to a large numbered collection of
> sharp metallic objects!). If it is an abbreviation, then the sentence
> should make sense with the abbreviation expanded.

Why?

[...]

>> No, hang on. The subject is the use of neologisms, not what's on TV. How
>> does the creation of the word 'lasing' indicate 'dumbing down'? Who on
>> Earth is using 'lasing' in a 'dumb' manner? How does the 50-year usage
>> of "Phonetic Alphabet" lead to dumbing down?

> "Lasing" is indicative of dumbing down because it provides a continuous
> tense for a non-existant verb.

The verb exists. Deal with it.

> I do not lase. Scientists have not lased. Laser is an
> abbreviation.

Acronym.

> It already made little sense as a noun. It makes even less sense as
> one part of a non-existant verb.

You seem to have a different meaning than most people for "it makes no
sense". The word 'lase' may not meet your high standards for neologisms,
but it makes perfect sense.

> For someone to think "lasing" is possible, implies a major crack in
> their comprehension of language. Not the rules of grammar as defined
> in a book, but its daily usage.

You're entirely mistaken, I'm afraid. It's a new word.

> The usage of "Phonetic Alphabet" does not necessarily lead to dumbing
> down (Although in some cases it does lead to misunderstanding). It does
> however shown up a lack of understanding.

No. *****ing about it shows a lack of understanding of how language is
used. We've been calling a lizard a "slow worm" for hundreds of years,
for exampe, and English has survived. Most people manage to deal with
these inconsistencies in language.

>> What word would you prefer for that act? And does your distaste stretch
>> to all neologisms concerned with new technology?

> Why does it need "a" word?

I'm afraid you'll have to ask the people who started using it. They
obviously saw a need.

> What was wrong with "firing a laser"?

Nothing. What's wrong with 'lasing'?

> It has served us well for many years, which seems to be both your
> argument for the use of a word, and against it.

Not at all. It's my argument in favour of "NATO Phonetic Alphabet" and
"lasing". It's not my argument against "phonetics" as a scientific
discipline, nor against "to fire a laser", because I'm not against them
at all. You're the one proscribing words.

>> > I presume that you can cite a number of points at which I have forced
>> > this issue into an unrelated conversation.

>> You said yourself that you correct people whenever it comes up. It
>> appears to be a crusade.

> The key point here is "whenever it comes up". It has come up now about 3
> times in my life. You implied that I go out of my way to bring the topic
> up.

No, I didn't. I said whenever you get the opportunity. Ie, whenever it
comes up. The other interpretation of that is "every single waking
hour", which would be . . . a perverse interpretation.

> I do not.
>
>> <snigger> You'll have to do a bit better than that. Having little regard
>> or patience for pedants is hardly sociopathic behaviour.

> I never suggested it was (Although it may be indicative of such a
> tendency). Having abusive language as a considered response to a
> stranger offering a correction would suggest sociopathic behaviour.

Maybe where you come from. Where I come from - Earth - correcting
strangers on their use of correct words is considered rude behaviour.

"The truth is, these are not very bright guys, and things got out of hand."

David Martin <[email protected]> wrote in
news:BD020D83.18FB7%[email protected]:

> I thought it was close to the Norse vik meaning end or harbour. I've
> always pronounced it closer to Wig than Oo-ig.

You're probably right. There are probably other correct pronunciations too
as there are a lot of regional variations and in Scotland these regions can
be as small as one village.

Graeme

Ian G Batten wrote:

> Hwaet! We Gardena in geardagum,
> peodcyninga, prym gefrunon,
> hu oa aepelingas ellen fremedon.
>Oft Scyld Scefing sceapena preatum,''

They did texting in the Middle Ages?

Tony ;-)

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 08:48:56 +0100, "Tony Raven"
<[email protected]> () wrote:

>Ian G Batten wrote:
>>
>> Hwaet! We Gardena in geardagum,
>> peodcyninga, prym gefrunon,
>> hu oa aepelingas ellen fremedon.
>>Oft Scyld Scefing sceapena preatum,''
>>

>They did texting in the Middle Ages?

Have you tried ROT13ing it?

--
Matt K
Waikikamukau,NZ

Whingin' Pom wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 08:48:56 +0100, "Tony Raven"
> <[email protected]> () wrote:
>
>> Ian G Batten wrote:
>>>
>>> Hwaet! We Gardena in geardagum,
>>> peodcyninga, prym gefrunon,
>>> hu oa aepelingas ellen fremedon.
>>> Oft Scyld Scefing sceapena preatum,''
>>>

>> They did texting in the Middle Ages?

> Have you tried ROT13ing it?

Have now and none the wiser.

Tony

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 10:32:54 +0100, "Tony Raven"
<[email protected]> () wrote:

>Whingin' Pom wrote:
>> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 08:48:56 +0100, "Tony Raven"
>> <[email protected]> () wrote:

>>> They did texting in the Middle Ages?

>> Have you tried ROT13ing it?

>Have now and none the wiser.

If it looks similar both before and after ROT13, it might be Welsh.

--
Matt K
Waikikamukau,NZ

Whingin' Pom wrote:

> If it looks similar both before and after ROT13, it might be Welsh.

Its txt I tell you. I know because the messages my kids send on their phones
are yet to be cracked by GCHQ let alone parents

Tony

"Jon Senior" <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Gawnsoft [email protected] opined the
> following...
> > On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 21:08:11 +0100, Jon Senior
> > <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote (more or less):
> >
> > >Keith Willoughby [email protected] opined the following...

lack

about

> > >And here we must part company!

> > Do you object to Shakespeare?

> Not particularly.
>
> > During his lifetime, he near doubled the number of words in the
> > English language.

> By adding new ones, not by changing the meaning of the existing ones.
>
> > Do you object to 'television' or 'televising'?

> No. Well. I object to a number of things shown on television, and thus,
> televised!
>
> > Do you object to 'laser' or 'scuba'?

> LASER. I have no problems with. Nor scuba for that matter, although I
> don't know its origins off-hand.

its an acronym just like PIN.
"Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus"

tumbleweednews at hotmail dot com

Ian G Batten wrote:
> So you'd say that all the changes to English since, oh
>
> ``Hwaet! We Gardena in geardagum,
> peodcyninga, prym gefrunon,
> hu oa aepelingas ellen fremedon.
> Oft Scyld Scefing sceapena preatum,''
>
> was decay?

Indeed. When you happen to need a hundred synonyms for "sword",
Modern English is pitiful by comparison...

--
Gareth Rees

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 14:56:32 +0100, "Tumbleweed"
<[email protected]> wrote in message
<[email protected]>:

>> LASER. I have no problems with. Nor scuba for that matter, although I
>> don't know its origins off-hand.

>its an acronym just like PIN.
>"Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus"

Invented by Jacques Cousteau. Note: not Jacques Clouseau.

Guy
http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

>> its an acronym just like PIN.
>> "Self Contained Underwater Breathing Apparatus"

> Invented by Jacques Cousteau. Note: not Jacques Clouseau.

Yes, I kneow that, I kneow that.

Tony

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 18:50:54 +0100, "Tony Raven"
<[email protected]>:

>> Invented by Jacques Cousteau. Note: not Jacques Clouseau.

>Yes, I kneow that, I kneow that.

Ah, the old "I kneow that" ploy, yes...

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 18:50:54 +0100, "Tony Raven"
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> <[email protected]>:
>
>>> Invented by Jacques Cousteau. Note: not Jacques Clouseau.

>> Yes, I kneow that, I kneow that.

> Ah, the old "I kneow that" ploy, yes...

Monsieur..Don't try to be funnayyyy with me

Tony

>>> Yes, I kneow that, I kneow that.

>> Ah, the old "I kneow that" ploy, yes...
>>

>Monsieur..Don't try to be funnayyyy with me
>
>Tony

You fools, you are more stoopid than Kato! Don't you know that Cousteau did nut
have a menkey on his showldur, he had a camera!

helen s ;-)

h*$el*$$e*nd**$o$ts**i*$*$m*m$o*n*s@$*a$o*l.c**$om$

David Martin wrote:
> A for 'orses
> B for mutton
> C for miles
> D for 'ential
> E for brick
> F for vesence
> G for police
> H for consent
> I for the engine
> J for cakes
> K for teria
> L for leather
> M for sis
> N for lope
> O for the top
> P for Ming fleas
> Q for hours
> R for mo
> S for you
> T for two
> U for mystic
> V for la France
> W for quits
> X for breakfast;
> Y for crying out loud
> Z for breezes

Some of these are old, but I think not all (e.g. J).

I would go with
C for yourself
Y for mistress

And I'm sorry to say I don't understand G, I, S, or Z.

Colin McKenzie

--
The great advantage of not trusting statistics is that
it leaves you free to believe the damned lies instead!

"Colin McKenzie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> David Martin wrote:
> > A for 'orses
> > B for mutton
> > C for miles
> > D for 'ential
> > E for brick
> > F for vesence
> > G for police
> > H for consent
> > I for the engine
> > J for cakes
> > K for teria
> > L for leather
> > M for sis
> > N for lope
> > O for the top
> > P for Ming fleas
> > Q for hours
> > R for mo
> > S for you
> > T for two
> > U for mystic
> > V for la France
> > W for quits
> > X for breakfast;
> > Y for crying out loud
> > Z for breezes
> >

> Some of these are old, but I think not all (e.g. J).
>
> I would go with
> C for yourself
> Y for mistress
>

> And I'm sorry to say I don't understand G,

soon to be an XG if David Blunkett has anything to do with it

> I,

Just don't get all steamed up about it, that's all.

> S,

Well S for you, apparently not.

> or Z.

If you think of the American pronounciation then it's a breeze.

Curious

Colin McKenzie wrote:

> And I'm sorry to say I don't understand G, I, S, or Z.
>
> Colin McKenzie

G for - Chief of
I for - Ivor
S for - ......

get the trend?

Tony

On 26 Jun 2004 19:23:52 GMT, [email protected]omcom
(dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers) wrote in message
<[email protected]>:

>You fools, you are more stoopid than Kato! Don't you know that Cousteau did nut
>have a menkey on his showldur, he had a camera!

Does your deug bite?