OT Where's my royalties?

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 09:35:36 +0900, James Annan
<[email protected]> wrote:

>chris French wrote:
>

>> Depends on what you mean by 'makes sense' really. While
>> it is 'incorrect' to use 'PIN number', if someone is
>> asked for their PIN number, they certainly understand
>> what you mean, so it certainly makes sense.
>
>I used to use a PIN number to get money out of an ATM
>machine at the TSB bank.

Yebbut, the last of these is troo. Aren't they TSB Bank plc
these days?

And what about PNS Syndrome? That's PIN Number Syndrome,
err, Syndrome.

Tim
--
For those who have trouble distinguishing, cynicsm, sarcasm,
humour etc, try mentally inserting smilies thoughout my post

(Jon Senior urc)

On 25 Jun 2004 05:07:48 -0700, [email protected] (Rory) wrote:

>"Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote in
>message news:<[email protected]>...
>> Yours truly is involved in this bizzare law suit!
>>
>> http://wired.com/news/digiwood/0,1412,63952,00.html?tw=-
>> wn_tophead_3
>
>Top band, Wilco, but did they pay Alex Chilton for
>recording Big Star's "Thirteen", or did Irdial record it
>off the the radio and sell it to them?

Is this the same Wilco that made an album or two with the
Big Nosed Bard From Barking, putting tunes to Woodie
Guthrie lyrics?

Tim
--
For those who have trouble distinguishing, cynicsm, sarcasm,
humour etc, try mentally inserting smilies thoughout my post
until it either matches what you'd like to read, or what
you'd expect me to write.

(Jon Senior urc)

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 11:19:03 +0100, "Tony Raven"
<[email protected]> () wrote:

>Whingin' Pom wrote:
>>
>> If it looks similar both before and after ROT13, it might
>> be Welsh.
>
>Its txt I tell you. I know because the messages my kids
>send on their phones are yet to be cracked by GCHQ let
>alone parents

Never mind quantum cryptography, get a couple of teens
txting each other. That'll keep the spooks baffled.

Or maybe it's ROT13d txt. Although who could tell if it was?
--
Matt K Waikikamukau,NZ

Ian G Batten <[email protected]> writes:
>In article <[email protected]>, Jon
>Senior <jon@restlesslemon_DOT_co_DOT_uk.remove> wrote:

>> Phonetic - one meaning as (commonly) understood by Joe
>> public except in one case where there is a disparity.

>So what? Many words have multiple and hard-to-disambiguate
>meanings. Deal with it.

There is also a virtue to it. We use these ambiguities to
think round corners in situations where logic would lead one
either to the wrong conclusion or a sterile dead end. Were
language purely logical, that dream of logicians for a
language so pure and logical that it would be impossible to
form and invalid argument in it, then our language would be
seriosuly restricted in its power as a cognitive tool. The
vagueness and ambiguity of language is a powerful tool
(allied to its underlying logic) which is responsible for
the very considerable linguistic augmentation of human
mental powers over those of our dumb fellow creatures.
[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]

Tony Raven wrote:
> Colin McKenzie wrote:
>>And I'm sorry to say I don't understand G, I, S, or Z.
>>
>>Colin McKenzie
>
> G for - Chief of I for - Ivor S for - ......
>
> get the trend?

That's why I can do the others.

But thank you for those two. I hang my head in shame at
forgetting I - though I think it supports my view that some
of David's list are relatively recent updates.

Colin McKenzie

--
The great advantage of not trusting statistics is that it
leaves you free to believe the damned lies instead!

In article <[email protected]>,
Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
> Ian G Batten wrote:
> >
> > Hwaet! We Gardena in geardagum, peodcyninga, prym
> > gefrunon, hu oa aepelingas ellen fremedon. Oft Scyld
> > Scefing sceapena preatum,''
> >

> They did texting in the Middle Ages?

Far earlier. It's the opening of Beowulf. It's reckoned to
have been written somewhere between 650 and 800.

ian

Tony Raven [email protected] opined the following...
> chris French wrote:
> >
> > Depends on what you mean by 'makes sense' really. While
> > it is 'incorrect' to use 'PIN number', if someone is
> > asked for their PIN number, they certainly understand
> > what you mean, so it certainly makes sense.
>
> I suspect if you asked for their PI number they would look
> thoroughly confused and try to tell you its 3.142.......

"Their PI number" would probably leave them completely
bewildered. There'd be much head scratching as they tried to
remember if PI is person specific!

For the record. I'd ask for their PIN. As I always have.
Most people seem to understand that one as well.

Jon

Chris Malcolm [email protected] opined the following...
> There is also a virtue to it. We use these ambiguities to
> think round corners in situations where logic would lead
> one either to the wrong conclusion or a sterile dead end.
> Were language purely logical, that dream of logicians for
> a language so pure and logical that it would be impossible
> to form and invalid argument in it, then our language
> would be seriosuly restricted in its power as a cognitive
> tool. The vagueness and ambiguity of language is a
> powerful tool (allied to its underlying logic) which is
> responsible for the very considerable linguistic
> augmentation of human mental powers over those of our dumb
> fellow creatures.

A fascinating and bizarre take on life (Especially for an
informatics man!). I would have said that the ambiguity
allows for beauty in the form of poetry, or the cutting double-
edged speeches often made. Given that so much of "pure
thought" comes down to logic, it seems strange to suggest
that a logical language could lead to the "wrong
conclusion". Surely that would suggest a failure in either
the logic, or the language, not the fact that the language
was logical!

Jon

Keith Willoughby [email protected] opined the following...
> Jon Senior wrote:
>
> > Keith Willoughby [email protected] opined the
> > following... And "pin" means?
> > http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=pin&db=* will
> > provide some answers. The page contains two definitions
> > which are abbreviations. If you treat "pin" as a word in
> > its own right, then a "pin number" makes no sense
>
> Sure it does. Everyone knows what a PIN number is. All the
> sense in the world.

And the same people also understand PIN, since it is
contextual. When the case machine asks you to type in your
pin, you don't start looking for a sewing accessory. It is
shorter, and retains a sensible meaning, in that expansion
will reveal what it is asking for. Again... PIN Number
contains redundancy.

> > (Except possibly when referring to a large numbered
> > collection of sharp metallic objects!). If it is an
> > abbreviation, then the sentence should make sense with
> > the abbreviation expanded.
>
> Why?

Because otherwise its meaning is lost. You don't request a
passwordword. Why request a numbernumber?

> >> No, hang on. The subject is the use of neologisms, not
> >> what's on TV. How does the creation of the word
> >> 'lasing' indicate 'dumbing down'? Who on Earth is using
> >> 'lasing' in a 'dumb' manner? How does the 50-year usage
> >> of "Phonetic Alphabet" lead to dumbing down?
> >
> > "Lasing" is indicative of dumbing down because it
> > provides a continuous tense for a non-existant verb.
>
> The verb exists. Deal with it.

So I gather... I stand corrected (If horrified!).

> > The usage of "Phonetic Alphabet" does not necessarily
> > lead to dumbing down (Although in some cases it does
> > lead to misunderstanding). It does however shown up a
> > lack of understanding.
>
> No. *****ing about it shows a lack of understanding of how
> language is used.

Badly you mean? I have offered my experience of how the use
of the phrase "Phonetic Alphabet" has produced people who do
not know what phonetic means. Since we don't yet have
another word for that, but have a perfectly servicable
phrase in the form of "Spelling Alphabet", I see good cause
to encourage its use.

> We've been calling a lizard a "slow worm" for hundreds of
> years, for exampe, and English has survived.

Funny. In my life time I've only come across "slow worm"
about two or three times (including this one). It took a
while before I found out that the thing that is called a
lizard might actually be known as a slow worm.

> >> You said yourself that you correct people whenever it
> >> comes up. It appears to be a crusade.
> >
> > The key point here is "whenever it comes up". It has
> > come up now about 3 times in my life. You implied that I
> > go out of my way to bring the topic up.
>
> No, I didn't. I said whenever you get the opportunity. Ie,
> whenever it comes up. The other interpretation of that is
> "every single waking hour", which would be . . . a
> perverse interpretation.

"Crusade". The crusades were not about occasional
corrections of opinion, they involved invasion and mass-
slaughter. To liken my three corrections to a crusade
implies (Whether you intended it to or not) that I go out of
my way to bring this topic up.

> > I do not.

> > I never suggested it was (Although it may be indicative
> > of such a tendency). Having abusive language as a
> > considered response to a stranger offering a correction
> > would suggest sociopathic behaviour.
>
> Maybe where you come from. Where I come from - Earth -
> correcting strangers on their use of correct words is
> considered rude behaviour.

Funny. We expect teachers to do it all day. Who said
education had to stop when you leave school? I enjoy using
my brain, and welcome new information. It would appear that
you don't. Any chance of posting JPGs in case there is ever
any danger of us meeting? :)

Jon

In news:[email protected],
Keith Willoughby <[email protected]> typed:
> No. *****ing about it shows a lack of understanding of how
> language is used. We've been calling a lizard a "slow
> worm" for hundreds of years, for exampe, and English has
> survived.

"That's not a slow worm: that's a very quick worm" -- me,
aged 4 or 5

Of course there's the fact that we use the word "worm" to
refer to several entire phylums (phyla?) of animals as it
is. Adding a single reptile species to this doesn't make a
huge difference in the big scale of things, I guess.

A IANATaxonomist, though.

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 00:15:49 +0100, Ambrose Nankivell wrote:

> In news:[email protected], Keith
> Willoughby <[email protected]> typed:
>> No. *****ing about it shows a lack of understanding of
>> how language is used. We've been calling a lizard a "slow
>> worm" for hundreds of years, for exampe, and English has
>> survived.
>
> "That's not a slow worm: that's a very quick worm" -- me,
> aged 4 or 5
>
> Of course there's the fact that we use the word "worm" to
> refer to several entire phylums (phyla?) of animals as it
> is. Adding a single reptile species to this doesn't make a
> huge difference in the big scale of things, I guess.

Cladistically, I like to argue that dolphins _are_ fish. On
the same reasoning, I don't see why one shouldn't argue that
a slow worm is a worm, but one that happens to be unusually
closely related to many lizards.

AC

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 14:56:32 +0100, "Tumbleweed"
<[email protected]> wrote (more or less):

>"Jon Senior" <jon_AT_restlesslemon_DOTco_DOT_uk> wrote
>> LASER. I have no problems with. Nor scuba for that
>> matter, although I don't know its origins off-hand.
>>

>its an acronym just like PIN. "Self Contained Underwater
>Breathing Apparatus"

Well, not just like PIN. PIN tends to get used (annoyingly)
as an adjective, despite being a noun.

--
Cheers, Euan Gawnsoft: http://www.gawnsoft.co.sr
Symbian/Epoc wiki: http://html.dnsalias.net:1122 Smalltalk

"Ambrose Nankivell" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> Of course there's the fact that we use the word "worm"
> to refer to several entire phylums (phyla?) of animals
> as it is.

And then there's all the "worms" in folk tales which we'd
recognise as dragons these days. The Lambton Work and the
Linton Worm are the only ones which spring to mind, but I'm
sure there are others.

Graeme

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 21:08:40 +0000 (UTC), Ian G Batten
<[email protected]> () wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>, Tony Raven <junk@raven-
>family.com> wrote:
>> Ian G Batten wrote:
>> >
>> > Hwaet! We Gardena in geardagum, peodcyninga, prym
>> > gefrunon, hu oa aepelingas ellen fremedon. Oft Scyld
>> > Scefing sceapena preatum,''
>> >

>> They did texting in the Middle Ages?
>
>Far earlier. It's the opening of Beowulf. It's reckoned to
>have been written somewhere between 650 and 800.

Cor. Parallel computing in the Dark Ages. So it's not txt,
but an early programming language. ONETRAN perhaps?

--
Matt K Waikikamukau,NZ

anonymous coward [email protected] opined the
following...
> Cladistically, I like to argue that dolphins _are_ fish.

Go on then.

> On the same reasoning, I don't see why one shouldn't argue
> that a slow worm is a worm, but one that happens to be
> unusually closely related to many lizards.

Generally, genetics. Having looked up cladistics, I'm not
really any the wiser as to its purpose, other than to
increase the number of known "species".

Jon

In article <[email protected]>,
Gawnsoft <[email protected]> wrote:
> Well, not just like PIN. PIN tends to get used
> (annoyingly) as an adjective, despite being a noun.

Not everything that precedes a noun is an adjective. Do you
object to ``petrol engine'' and ``bike rack'' on the same
basis? Neither petrol nor bike is an adjective. I think the
concept you're reaching for is ``compound noun''.

ian

Jon Senior wrote:

>>> "Lasing" is indicative of dumbing down because it
>>> provides a continuous tense for a non-existant verb.
>>
>> The verb exists. Deal with it.
>
> So I gather... I stand corrected (If horrified!).

Why are you horrified. Its a perfectly correct process. The
word "laser" was created by those working in the field just
like the word television, telephone, x-ray and many other
new words in the language were. It follows the rules for
the creation of a verb from the noun or do you object to
having your arm x-rayed, Wimbledon televised and you
telephoning (or even e-mailing) someone?. You seem to want
to set yourself up as an arbitrary arbiter of what can and
can't come into the English language. Unfortunately that
job is already taken by the OED which documents and decides
on the permanancy of the many new words entering the
language every day.

Tony

Jon Senior wrote:

> Again... PIN Number contains redundancy.

I think you are making a basic grammatical mistake of
thinking PIN is an abbreviation standing for Personal
Identification Number so that you double up on "number" if
you say PIN number. In fact it is an acronym which is a word
in its own right formed from the initial letters of other
words and accepted as a word in the OED. As an acronym there
is no redundancy in PIN number. If you broke all acronyms
down into the words they were derived from then frequently
it would create nonsense sentences whereas correctly used as
a word in its own right its fine. For example scuba-dive is
fine and recognised by the OED whereas self contained
underwater breathing apparatus dive clearly isn't.

Tony

In article <[email protected]>,
Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
> can and can't come into the English language.
> Unfortunately that job is already taken by the OED which
> documents and decides on the permanancy of the many new
> words entering the language every day.

Wrong (and although I take Keith's point about appeals to
authority, I know a _lot_ of dictionary people). OED
documents the words that are used. It takes no stance on
permanency. The test is if a word is in sufficiently
widespread use as to justify inclusion, not some guess as to
the word's longevity. Indeed, one might half-seriously argue
that permanent words have _less_ need to be in a dictionary
--- it's the words that are obsolete in 2104 which will need
to be documented so that people reading books written in
2004 can be understood.

ian