OT: Which SF/Fantasy character are you?

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Man o' Tea, Dec 5, 2005.

  1. Man o' Tea

    Man o' Tea Guest

    Tags:

  2. rtk

    rtk Guest

    Man o' Tea wrote:
    > Hey, it's been a slow week at RSS:
    >
    > http://www.tk421.net/character/

    Wesley Crusher

    Now, thanks to Man o Tea, I know I'll live to 107 as a little Swedish
    (was it?) hound and travel to the moon.

    rtk

  3. a.c.

    a.c. Guest

    rtk wrote:
    > Man o' Tea wrote:
    > > Hey, it's been a slow week at RSS:
    > >
    > > http://www.tk421.net/character/
    > >

    > Wesley Crusher
    >
    > Now, thanks to Man o Tea, I know I'll live to 107 as a little Swedish
    > (was it?) hound and travel to the moon.
    >
    > rtk

    And it seems I'm Samwise Gamgee (lord of the rings... what's his name's
    .... frodo's(?) main companion)
    Curiously enough, like me, he's also a gardener by profession.

  4. Man o' Tea

    Man o' Tea Guest

    rtk wrote:

    > Wesley Crusher

    That makes you my acting ensign. I got Jean-Luc
    Picard, so now I always have to straighten my tunic
    before I stand up.

  5. hehe...that's a fun exercise.

    I am Jean-Luc Picard.

    Sadly, I think it describes me pretty well. Wish it woulda been
    aragorn or yoda.

    I did the 'what dog are you' test linked on the same site and I came up
    as a poodle. Not sure what's worse.

  6. Liz D

    Liz D Guest

    Man o' Tea wrote:
    > rtk wrote:
    >
    > > Wesley Crusher

    > That makes you my acting ensign. I got Jean-Luc
    > Picard, so now I always have to straighten my tunic
    > before I stand up.

    Make it so.

    Another Jean-Luc Picard here.

    Actually, I think I'm probably most like Hermione Grainger in the Harry
    Potter books/movies - a girlie swot with a quick temper and a social
    conscience.

    Liz D

  7. I'm John Sheridan. No idea who he is, since I haven't seen the show.

    Andres

  8. Madelaine

    Madelaine Guest

    Man o' Tea wrote:
    > Hey, it's been a slow week at RSS:
    >
    > http://www.tk421.net/character/

    I am some very ethereal female character from the Lord of the Rings.
    Lot's of Picards seem to swim....
    Like rtk, I am a Swedish Valhund. By the way, this dog breed was
    recently recognized by the AKC as a member of the miscellaneous class.
    They seem very appealing, but too barky for me. And too barky to be
    me...
    Madelaine

  9. a.c.

    a.c. Guest

    [email protected] (Larry Weisenthal) wrote:
    > Marcus Cole.
    >
    > I never heard of him.

    me neither, but maybe he can al least swim, which is something Samwise
    Gamgee clearly can't.

  10. a.c.

    a.c. Guest

    [email protected] (Larry Weisenthal) wrote:
    > Marcus Cole.
    >
    > I never heard of him.

    me neither, but maybe he can al least swim, which is something Samwise
    Gamgee clearly can't.

  11. >>maybe he can al least swim, which is something Samwise
    Gamgee clearly can't. << too funny! I'd forgotten that scene where
    Sam nearly drowns chasing after Frodo's rowboat. This clearly
    disproves the relevance of the test.

    By the way, I'm opening a can of worms, but the most interesting of the
    genre of Internet "What really are you?" self-tests, I think, is the
    "Belief-o-matic," on Beliefnet.com:

    http://www.beliefnet.com/story/76/story_7665_1.html

    I don't expect people to want to reveal how they scored on something as
    personal as this, but I scored out as 100% Unitarian; my best friend as
    100% Quaker, and my Dad as 94% "neo-pagan" (which befits a 92 y.o. who,
    among other things, recently chased off two muggers armed with a gun in
    Costa Rica and who likes to go to Karaoke bars frequented by 20 and 30
    country/western-loving somethings, belt out a string of Sinatra tunes,
    and buy a round of drinks for the house. Still swims a mile a day, too
    (making all of this a little relevant).

  12. Make sense that lots of piccards swim. He has a smooth shaved head that
    allows him to glide better through the water.

    Madelaine wrote:
    > Man o' Tea wrote:
    > > Hey, it's been a slow week at RSS:
    > >
    > > http://www.tk421.net/character/
    > >

    > I am some very ethereal female character from the Lord of the Rings.
    > Lot's of Picards seem to swim....
    > Like rtk, I am a Swedish Valhund. By the way, this dog breed was
    > recently recognized by the AKC as a member of the miscellaneous class.
    > They seem very appealing, but too barky for me. And too barky to be
    > me...
    > Madelaine

  13. rtk

    rtk Guest

    [email protected] (Larry Weisenthal) wrote:

    > http://www.beliefnet.com/story/76/story_7665_1.html

    Well, that was interesting. My present state of mind was 100% humanist,
    but my upbringing was at the bottom with an 11%. Having never actually
    revolted against my beginnings, I sure did travel.

    Off topic
    Re: Larry's father. Because I swim at the time reserved for the
    euphemistically labelled Special Population (read: retarded, old,
    crippled, all of the above), I've developed a whole bunch of quite
    unfounded ideas about who gets to hang at the bar singing Karaoke and
    buying a round of drinks for all at age 92. My grandmother did none of
    the above, but she played a mean game of poker until 2a.m. the night she
    died at age 93. If I'm right about my very anecdotal observations, the
    university population would be particularly prone to dementia, which
    certainly seems counter-intuitive. Has such a statistical study been done?

    rtk

  14. Hey Ruth.

    changing subject again, I just finished reading Gorazde. It was written
    by Joe Sacco that you recommended. Great book. For the humanists in
    the list, and for everyone else, I highly recommend both Palestine and
    Gorazde by Sacco. I am planning to buy Palestine for my uncle. He is an
    hard core zionist. However he is open to discussion.

    Andres

  15. a.c.

    a.c. Guest

    [email protected] (Larry Weisenthal) wrote:
    > >>maybe he can al least swim, which is something Samwise

    > Gamgee clearly can't. << too funny! I'd forgotten that scene where
    > Sam nearly drowns chasing after Frodo's rowboat. This clearly
    > disproves the relevance of the test.
    >
    > By the way, I'm opening a can of worms, but the most interesting of the
    > genre of Internet "What really are you?" self-tests, I think, is the
    > "Belief-o-matic," on Beliefnet.com:
    >
    > http://www.beliefnet.com/story/76/story_7665_1.html

    quite an interesting one. When i first clicked on it a huge banner
    appeared.
    OVER 50
    Oh, I thought to myself, I guess i'm going to have to wait quite a
    while.
    I guess I missed the question mark.
    Then I read the first batch of question and figured I'd have to be at
    least 50 before i could even understand them!

    I did another of of these tests recently, designed to test policical
    stance.
    apparantly I'm the dali lama.
    But, in contrast to the above, I figured the results could really be
    just an age test instead and being the Dali Lama and just short of
    being Nelson Mandela, says more about what age I've got to then how
    right-on I may be designed, or how much the relevance of experimental
    swimming has improved me all round. Or conversely for those who came up
    as unsavory sorts.
    Alas, I've lost the link.

    > I don't expect people to want to reveal how they scored on something as
    > personal as this, but I scored out as 100% Unitarian; my best friend as
    > 100% Quaker, and my Dad as 94% "neo-pagan" (which befits a 92 y.o. who,
    > among other things, recently chased off two muggers armed with a gun in
    > Costa Rica and who likes to go to Karaoke bars frequented by 20 and 30
    > country/western-loving somethings, belt out a string of Sinatra tunes,
    > and buy a round of drinks for the house. Still swims a mile a day, too
    > (making all of this a little relevant).

  16. Man o' Tea

    Man o' Tea Guest

  17. rtk

    rtk Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > Hey Ruth.
    >
    > changing subject again, I just finished reading Gorazde. It was written
    > by Joe Sacco that you recommended. Great book. For the humanists in
    > the list, and for everyone else, I highly recommend both Palestine and
    > Gorazde by Sacco. I am planning to buy Palestine for my uncle. He is an
    > hard core zionist. However he is open to discussion.
    >
    > Andres

    Hi Andres

    Your results list is identical to mine.
    To truly understand your uncle's point of view, take a look at Maus,
    also a graphic book, by Spiegelman.
    I am firmly in both camps. I don't mean on the fence either. I'm in
    total sympathy with both sides. Not so odd. There are many, even a
    majority of Israelis and Palestinians who know they could get along as
    in fact they once did.
    Especially if you have kids, the docu movie, Promises, gives quite a bit
    of insight into how even children feel about the whole mess.

    So, how off topic is this? I have swim workout pages that get as many
    as 3000 hits per day. In the morning I check the stat counter to see
    from which countries the hits came in the early hours before the light
    gets here. Often I see Iraq, Israel, Korea, Croatia, Arab Emirates,
    Iran - all those sorts of places. Would someone tell the powers that be
    that the citizens of those countries want to swim better as well as go
    about their daily lives as we do, that killing each other and everybody
    is not a preoccupation with them as our government says it is. I know
    I'm repeating myself, but I think of this often.

    Ruth

  18. Liz D

    Liz D Guest

    rtk wrote:
    > [email protected] (Larry Weisenthal) wrote:
    >

    > > http://www.beliefnet.com/story/76/story_7665_1.html
    > >

    > Well, that was interesting. My present state of mind was 100% humanist,
    > but my upbringing was at the bottom with an 11%. Having never actually
    > revolted against my beginnings, I sure did travel.

    I got 100% Unitarian Universalism, and interesting next best was
    Liberal Quakers at 89%. I also got Neo Pagans 5th at 74%.

    Roman Catholic, the faith of my upbringing, scored 3rd from bottom at
    26%. Well, at least there's some vestiges of it left (especially the
    guilt - I'm still really good at that).

    So it seems that we have quite a few Jean-Luc Picard Unitarians or
    Humanists who swim.

    Liz D