OT: Why are they dancing in the streets?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Stratrider, Apr 9, 2003.

  1. Stratrider

    Stratrider Guest

    Clearly those Iraqis dancing in the streets of Baghdad have failed to read the comments of the
    "enlightened, intellectual, elite, secularists" that have frequented many OT threads (with their
    version of TRUTH) on this news group. How could these Iraqis do this! What are they celebrating for?
    Something to think about as we ride!

    Jim Reilly Reading, PA

    Tags:

  2. I find it unfathomable that there are so many naifs in this country who apparently haven't a clue
    about the unspeakable evil they help perpetuate when they oppose this war.

    When I worked in D.C., I was endlessly amazed at how many idiots marched daily in front of the
    Iranian embassy, which was then an enlightened nation which treated its women and minorities with
    dignity and gave them virtually unlimited opportunity. These protestors "demanded" the Shah had to
    go, presumably because he imprisoned (and abused) a relative handful of political opponents. His
    successor put tens of thousands in prison and murdered many more thousands. But the same naifs never
    reappeared at the Iranian embassy to protest Khomeini's regime.

    --
    Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "stratrider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Clearly those Iraqis dancing in the streets of Baghdad have failed to read the comments of the
    > "enlightened, intellectual, elite, secularists" that have frequented many OT threads (with their
    > version of TRUTH) on this news group. How could these Iraqis do this! What are they celebrating
    > for? Something to think about as we ride!
    >
    > Jim Reilly Reading, PA

  3. "stratrider" skrev...
    > Clearly those Iraqis dancing in the streets of Baghdad have failed to read the comments of the
    > "enlightened, intellectual, elite, secularists" that have frequented many OT threads (with their
    > version of TRUTH) on this news group. How could these Iraqis do this! What are they celebrating
    > for? Something to think about as we ride!

    Looting in the streets you mean? I bet they were cheering in the hospitals too. And the press was
    dancing. But that was probably just to avoid shells and bombs from american forces.

    Buy hey. Going "nyah nyah" is very mature. Especially when noone here is sad to see Saddam go. Its
    the method and its repercussions I have a problem with.

    You forgot "french" in your little rant.

    M.

  4. Ooops. Flaming aside. If you write 'OT:' then IE eats it when replying and the thread will not be
    marked OT.

    I missed that in replying. My apologies to anyone inconvenienced by it.

    M.

  5. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Robert Siegel wrote:

    > I find it unfathomable that there are so many naifs in this country who apparently haven't a clue
    > about the unspeakable evil they help perpetuate when they oppose this war.
    >
    > When I worked in D.C., I was endlessly amazed at how many idiots marched daily in front of the
    > Iranian embassy, which was then an enlightened nation which treated its women and minorities with
    > dignity and gave them virtually unlimited opportunity. These protestors "demanded" the Shah had to
    > go, presumably because he imprisoned (and abused) a relative handful of political opponents. His
    > successor put tens of thousands in prison and murdered many more thousands. But the same naifs
    > never reappeared at the Iranian embassy to protest Khomeini's regime.

    Considering that Iran is one of the oldest nations and has one of the oldest cultures, I am sure
    the Iranian people appreciated having the US/CIA helping to overthrow their government [1] in 1953
    and putting the brutal and authoritarian Pahlavi regime in place. The Shah (with the backing of the
    US) was able to suppress all political opposition except for the Muslin clerics who opposed him.
    The fundamentalist revolution in Iran is therefore "blowback" from US interference in internal
    Iranian affairs.

    For those in the US who do not consider this a big deal, imagine the shoe on the other foot, i.e.
    how would you feel about a foreign country determining the type of government and ruler(s) of the
    US, especially if the foreign imposed ruler(s) policies favored citizens and businesses in the
    foreign country over those of US citizens and businesses?

    [1] Done in the interest of US oil companies.

    "Carefully watch your Thoughts, for they become your Words. Manage and watch your Words, for they
    will become your Actions. Consider and judge your Actions, for they have become your Habits.
    Acknowledge and watch your Habits, for they shall become your Values. Understand and embrace your
    Values, for they become Your Destiny." - Mahatma Gandhi

  6. Stratrider

    Stratrider Guest

    So my comments are an immature "rant". The "truth" is that the Iraqis ARE NOT DANCING, they are
    looting. Thank you for setting me straight.

  7. Von

    Von Guest

    > "stratrider" skrev...
    > > Clearly those Iraqis dancing in the streets of Baghdad have failed to read the comments of the
    > > "enlightened, intellectual, elite, secularists" that have frequented many OT threads (with their
    > > version of TRUTH) on this news group. How could these Iraqis do this! What are they celebrating
    > > for? Something to think about as we ride!
    >
    > Looting in the streets you mean? I bet they were cheering in the hospitals too. And the press was
    > dancing. But that was probably just to avoid shells and bombs from american forces.
    >
    > Buy hey. Going "nyah nyah" is very mature. Especially when noone here is sad to see Saddam go. Its
    > the method and its repercussions I have a problem with.
    >
    > You forgot "french" in your little rant.
    >
    > M.

    There was a time when liberal meant enlightened. Today,Close both eyes, run in circles scream and
    shout! Von (It's not what you ride but that you ride)

  8. "stratrider" skrev ...
    > So my comments are an immature "rant". The "truth" is that the Iraqis ARE NOT DANCING, they are
    > looting. Thank you for setting me straight.

    The only absolute truth is that there is no absolute truth. Media- or governmenttruth is probably
    the worst kind. That goes for dancing and/or looting. The "immature rant"-quip was in referral to
    your namecalling and gloating.

    But the trenches has been dug so deep by both sides in this argument that its indistinguishable from
    religion, so lets just stick to bents and maybe cats?

    M.

  9. Bg

    Bg Guest

    One reason I ride is to *not* think about it. In fact I commented to my wife last week, "Guess what
    I forgot about on today's ride"? Also, the group of folks I generally ride with rarely, if ever,
    bring up divisive issues such as religion, politics and I think it's because we have a relatively
    diverse group and they realize why even go there when riding is the point. bill g

    stratrider wrote:

    > Clearly those Iraqis dancing in the streets of Baghdad have failed to read the comments of the
    > "enlightened, intellectual, elite, secularists" that have frequented many OT threads (with their
    > version of TRUTH) on this news group. How could these Iraqis do this! What are they celebrating
    > for? Something to think about as we ride!
    >
    > Jim Reilly Reading, PA

  10. Yeah Cats

    > "stratrider" skrev ...
    > > So my comments are an immature "rant". The "truth" is that the Iraqis ARE NOT DANCING, they are
    > > looting. Thank you for setting me straight.
    >
    > The only absolute truth is that there is no absolute truth. Media- or governmenttruth is probably
    > the worst kind. That goes for
    dancing and/or looting.
    > The "immature rant"-quip was in referral to your namecalling and gloating.
    >
    > But the trenches has been dug so deep by both sides in this argument that its indistinguishable
    > from religion, so lets just stick to bents and
    maybe cats?

    > M.

  11. Why are they dancing in the streets??? They no have the beginning of freedom to get recumbents and
    get rid of the only 2 DF bikes I saw. Must do something to shake off aches and pains; let alone
    those sore wrists.

    Chris Jordan

  12. Tom, why do you constantly ignore reality and simply repeat your left wing mantra.

    Fact: The Shah was an autocratic middle eastern ruler AND ALSO an enlightened man. Under him, Iran
    was an open, prosperous, westernized nation with legitimate educational institutions that in the
    long run offered a bright future to all its citizens, including women and minorities. When he was
    deposed, it was transformed into a social, intellectual and economic sewer run by ruthless
    religious zealots.

    --
    Gator Bob Siegel EasyRacers Ti Rush "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Robert Siegel wrote:
    > >
    > > I find it unfathomable that there are so many naifs in this country who apparently haven't a
    > > clue about the unspeakable evil they help
    perpetuate
    > > when they oppose this war.
    > >
    > > When I worked in D.C., I was endlessly amazed at how many idiots marched daily in front of the
    > > Iranian embassy, which was then an enlightened
    nation
    > > which treated its women and minorities with dignity and gave them
    virtually
    > > unlimited opportunity. These protestors "demanded" the Shah had to go, presumably because he
    > > imprisoned (and abused) a relative handful of political opponents. His successor put tens of
    > > thousands in prison and murdered many more thousands. But the same naifs never reappeared at
    the
    > > Iranian embassy to protest Khomeini's regime.
    >
    > Considering that Iran is one of the oldest nations and has one of the oldest cultures, I am sure
    > the Iranian people appreciated having the US/CIA helping to overthrow their government [1] in 1953
    > and putting the brutal and authoritarian Pahlavi regime in place. The Shah (with the backing of
    > the US) was able to suppress all political opposition except for the Muslin clerics who opposed
    > him. The fundamentalist revolution in Iran is therefore "blowback" from US interference in
    > internal Iranian affairs.
    >
    > For those in the US who do not consider this a big deal, imagine the shoe on the other foot, i.e.
    > how would you feel about a foreign country determining the type of government and ruler(s) of the
    > US, especially if the foreign imposed ruler(s) policies favored citizens and businesses in the
    > foreign country over those of US citizens and businesses?
    >
    > [1] Done in the interest of US oil companies.
    >
    > Tom Sherman - Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)
    >
    > "Carefully watch your Thoughts, for they become your Words. Manage and watch your Words, for they
    > will become your Actions. Consider and judge your Actions, for they have become your Habits.
    > Acknowledge and watch your Habits, for they shall become your Values. Understand and embrace your
    > Values, for they become Your Destiny." - Mahatma Gandhi

  13. Baronn1

    Baronn1 Guest

    They are happy that the American occupation aimed at stealing their oil has begun. I think that's
    it, isn't it Mike?

    "stratrider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Clearly those Iraqis dancing in the streets of Baghdad have failed to read the comments of the
    > "enlightened, intellectual, elite, secularists" that have frequented many OT threads (with their
    > version of TRUTH) on this news group. How could these Iraqis do this! What are they celebrating
    > for? Something to think about as we ride!
    >
    > Jim Reilly Reading, PA

  14. B. Sanders

    B. Sanders Guest

    ------=_NextPart_000_0062_01C2FF46.EC2FE2B0 Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"

    "Joshua Goldberg" <[email protected]> wrote in message =
    news:[email protected]...
    > Yeah Cats

    Which Cats do you like? This Cat has a 380 ton payload and a 3370 HP = engine:

    http://cmms.cat.com/cmms/servlet/cat.dcs.cmms.servlet.GetModelSummary?cla=
    ssid=3D406&langid=3Den&rgnid=3DNACD&view=3Dhtml&prdname=3D797B&prdid=3D79=
    7B&familyid=3D470&subfamilyid=3D715&dsfFlag=3D0&subfamilyheader=3DOff+Hig= hway+Trucks

    Barry ------=_NextPart_000_0062_01C2FF46.EC2FE2B0 Content-Type: text/html; charset="iso-8859-1"

    <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN"> <HTML><HEAD> <META
    http-equiv=3DContent-Type content=3D"text/html; = charset=3Diso-8859-1"> <META content=3D"MSHTML
    6.00.2800.1141" name=3DGENERATOR> <STYLE></STYLE> </HEAD> <BODY>
    <DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>"Joshua Goldberg" <</FONT><A=20
    href=3D"mailto:[email protected]"><FONT face=3DArial=20
    size=3D2>[email protected]</FONT></A><FONT face=3DArial = size=3D2>> wrote in=20
    message </FONT><A = href=3D"news:[email protected]"><FONT=20
    face=3DArial=20 size=3D2>news:[email protected]</FONT></A><FONT=
    =20
    face=3DArial size=3D2>...</FONT></DIV>
    <DV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>> Yeah Cats<BR></FONT></DIV>
    <DVI><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Which Cats do you like? This Cat = has a 380=20 ton payload
    and a 3370 HP engine:</FONT></DIV>
    <DVII><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
    <DVIII><A=20 href=3D"http://cmms.cat.com/cmms/servlet/cat.dcs.cmms.servlet.GetModelSum=
    mary?classid=3D406&langid=3Den&rgnid=3DNACD&view=3Dhtml&p=
    rdname=3D797B&prdid=3D797B&familyid=3D470&subfamilyid=3D715&a=
    mp;dsfFlag=3D0&subfamilyheader=3DOff+Highway+Trucks"><FONT=20 face=3DArial=20
    size=3D2>http://cmms.cat.com/cmms/servlet/cat.dcs.cmms.servlet.GetModelSu=
    mmary?classid=3D406&langid=3Den&rgnid=3DNACD&view=3Dhtml&=
    prdname=3D797B&prdid=3D797B&familyid=3D470&subfamilyid=3D715&=
    amp;dsfFlag=3D0&subfamilyheader=3DOff+Highway+Trucks</FONT></A></DIV>=

    <DIX><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2></FONT> </DIV>
    <DX><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Barry</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

    ------=_NextPart_000_0062_01C2FF46.EC2FE2B0--

  15. Skip

    Skip Guest

    news:[email protected]... <snip>

    > Looting in the streets you mean?

    So you look at those pictures and you can only see the looting. So far the looting seems to be
    primarily limited to government facilities, the German embassy, and the UN facilities. Seeing them
    driving around in the UN inspectors cars puts a wry smile on my face at the irony of it all.

    > Buy hey. Going "nyah nyah" is very mature.

    Are you saying it's appropriate for us very mature types to go "nyah nyah"? If so then "nyah
    nyah" to you.

    > You forgot "french" in your little rant.

    Oh yeah, the forgotten "french". They don't even seem to be relevent enough to have their embassy
    looted or to get a small rant on arbr.

    skip

  16. > "Carefully watch your Thoughts, for they become your Words. Manage and watch your Words, for they
    > will become your Actions. Consider and judge your Actions, for they have become your Habits.
    > Acknowledge and watch your Habits, for they shall become your Values. Understand and embrace your
    > Values, for they become Your Destiny." - Mahatma Gandhi

    Bah! The long-winded plagiaristic rambling of some free-thinking bald-headed non-conformist
    vegetarian. I prefer the original.

    "A man's character is his fate." - Heraclitus.

  17. "Robert Siegel" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Tom, why do you constantly ignore reality and simply repeat your left
    wing mantra.

    > Fact: The Shah was an autocratic middle eastern ruler AND ALSO an
    enlightened man.

    Yabbut yabbut yabbut -- he was a PRO-AMERICAN enlightened man. America BAD. Therefore Pro-American
    BAAAAAAAD (scuse me, the bleat reflex got the better of me).

    > When he was deposed, it was transformed into a social, intellectual and
    economic sewer run by ruthless religious zealots.

    Yabbut yabbut yabbut -- they were ANTI-AMERICAN ruthless religious zealots. American BAAAAAAAD
    (Damn. Did it again). Therefore Anti-American GOOD.

    See how it works?

    Thinking BAD. Mantra GOOD.

  18. Baronn1

    Baronn1 Guest

    translation for Tom, the engineer:

    Native bad > foreign good

    news:[email protected]...

  19. "baronn1" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > translation for Tom, the engineer:
    >
    > Native bad > foreign good

    You need to learn to read with comprehension. NOTHING in my post said that.

  20. Don't most of the people who say "it's the oil" turn around and use it in their cars?