OT - Why no war.

"KBH" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:Yh7ia.285002$F1.49435@sccrnsc04...
> that was an incoherant rant. you aren't even making an argument, just blabbering about something
> you read in an article somewhere.
>
> kuwait does not foment a direct threat to our citizens, so let them do
what
> they want. That is exactly the point I made in my reply to the previous poster. Saudi Arabia on
> the other hand is a breeding ground for islamic terrorists and will have to be dealt with at some
> point (in the mean time
we
> do buy a lot of their oil and its in our interest to see that supply stable).

Saudi Arabia won't be dealt with, but you are right about them being a breeding ground for the
terrorists.

Al Qaeda's #1 goal is the overthrow of the Saudi government, overseer of Islam's most sacred
grounds. Saudi Arabia is a military client state of what country? That's right, ours.

We don't colonize- it looks too obvious. We just go in and set up puppet governments, as in Chile,
Central America, etc. We missed out on the great wave of Imperialism in the Nineteenth Century, much
to the disappointment of Teddy Roosevelt.

"KBH" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:8F7ia.285235$F1.49908@sccrnsc04...
> A recent Colin Powell quote is paraphrased something like this:
>
> "Over the years, the United States has sent many of its fine young men and women into great peril
> to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return
> is enough to bury those
that
> did not return."

Powell is correct that we do not engage in territorial imperialism, but it is accepted in
intellectual circles, liberal and conservative alike, that there is an American Empire afoot. Pax
Americana is a reality.

from: http://www.heritage.org/Research/PoliticalPhilosophy/HL321.cfm

In this century, great empires have collapsed: the Austrian, the German, the British, the French,
the Dutch, the Portuguese, the Spanish, the Italian, and the Japanese. The Soviet empire now
languishes in the process of dissolution. "Imperialism" has become a term of bitter reproach and
complaint; all this within my own lifetime.

American Empire But there remains an American Empire, still growing -- though expanding through the
acquisition of client states, rather than through settlement of American populations abroad. Among
the client states directly dependent upon American military power are Japan, Korea, Taiwan, Israel,
and El Salvador; and until the withdrawal of American divisions from Germany for service in Arabia,
Germany, too, was a military client. Dependent upon American assistance of one kind or another, and
in some degree upon American military protection, are the Philippines, the Dominican Republic, and
Panama; and also, in the Levant, Egypt and Jordan, and formerly Lebanon. Now Saudi Arabia and Kuwait
are added to the roster of clients. I hardly need mention America's earlier acquisitions: Hawaii,
Puerto Rico, the Virgins, and lesser islands. I refrain from mentioning America's economic
ascendancy, through foreign aid or merely trade, over a great deal more of the world. In short,
although we never talk about our empire, a tremendous American Empire has come into existence -- if,
like the Roman Empire, in a kind of fit of absence of mind. No powerful counterpoise to the American
hegemony seems to remain, what with the enfeebling of the U.S.S.R.

<snip><end

news:<[email protected]>...

"Saddam also used the money to fund terrorists and terrorist activities all over the world. This is
almost impossible to prove openly because intelligence sources for this kind of thing are
exceedingly dificult (sic) to trace and showing how the information is gotten (sic) would invalidate
using those sources in the future. So many of the real proofs of what Hussein has been doing must
remain top secret for many decades."

You make a statement of fact then enter into immediate contradiction by claiming it cannot be
proved. Well at least for 50 or so years.

Or are you delving into one of your Walter Mitty characters of your past? A person with high level
security clearance.

Reading Kunich is like reading the other side's version. ****. Here is a link to an alleged Russian
intelligence site on the Iraq war -

http://www.aeronautics.ru/news/news002/news082.htm

The world needs abnormal people like Kunich so the multitudes can appreciate being normal.

Have you read your National Security Strategy lately? http://www.whitehouse.gov/nsc/nss.html

> But Iraq is not the same case. For one thing, when we were trying to befriend Iraq in an effort to
> have some moderating effect on their policies we sold Saddam some presses ostensibly so that he
> could print high quality Iraqi currency. Saddam used these presses to counterfeit American money
> so lavishly that at one point one out of every five $20 bills was an Iraqi counterfeit so good
> that it couldn't be detected by anyone but the most skilled experts.
>
> He used this money to build a staggering arsenal and to begin building seriously dangerous weapons
> of mass destruction. Perhaps you remember Israel bombing the Iraqi nuclear site which we now all
> understand was primarily for generating weapons grade radioactive material. We also know that he
> was building a super cannon and perhaps what you don't know is that cannon could have been capable
> of shooting a shell entirely around the world. The expert he was using had a 'normal' cannon in
> his front yard on the border between Montreal and the USA. He was quoted as saying that he
> couldn't reveal the range of that particular cannon but that he could easily hit Mexico City.
> That's roughly 4,000 miles and a super version of such a cannon would give him the power of an
> ICBM with a far smaller chance for intercepting the weapon.
>
> Saddam also used the money to fund terrorists and terrorist activities all over the world. This is
> almost impossible to prove openly because intelligence sources for this kind of thing are
> exceedingly dificult to trace and showing how the information is gotten would invalidate using
> those sources in the future. So many of the real proofs of what Hussein has been doing must remain
> top secret for many decades. Remember that it was 50 years before some really important
> intellgence wources from WW II were revealed.
>
> Most importantly Saddam has been trying to find an effective terrorist organization to deliver
> some extremely dangerous weapons of mass destruction into the United States. We have already
> arrested an American hispanic gang member who offered to set off a dirty (nuclear) bomb in the USA
> and received $10,000 in cash to begin his operation. He was siezed at an airport with the money on
> him. Saddam has been courting bin Laden for many years because he thought that Al Qaida was the
> best chance for delivering a biological or chemical weapon into an American city. Fortunately for
> us, bin Laden can't stand Hussein and always turned him down.
>
> Nevertheless it has become clear that Hussein is trying to attack the USA and to do it on an
> extremely dangerous level. It was no longer a question about if he could succeed, because 9/11
> showed that eventually he would succeed.

Wow Tom. Those are some pretty amazing claims. Even the Bush administration hasn't been ballsy
enough to claim those things but you seem to think you have incontrovertible evidence that's obvious
to all who care to look. Of course the super cannon that can shoot around the world is well known.
My favorite part, however, was your statement:

"We are all preying for peace. . ."

Just classic.

Rob Strickland

"Steve Blankenship" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Without getting into the rest of your assumptions, there's been plenty of press on the supergun
> program; you really might pay more attention to the world you live in. In the US, PBS even did a
> Frontline show on them and their Canadian inventor, Gerald Bull. He died, let's say, a less than
> natural death. Have a peek at:
>
> http://www.fas.org/nuke/guide/iraq/other/supergun.htm
>
> SB

According to the article you linked to:

"The superguns were potentially capable of firing chemical, biological and nuclear weapons to a
range of up to 1,000 km."

Potentially capable of up to 1,000 km is hardly even close to hitting Mexico City from Montreal or,
as Tom claimed, shooting a shell around the world. Current ballistic missile technology is clearly,
vastly superior to the dreaded Supergun.

Robert Strickland

"KBH" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<8F7ia.285235$F1.49908@sccrnsc04>...
> A recent Colin Powell quote is paraphrased something like this:
>
> "Over the years, the United States has sent many of its fine young men and women into great peril
> to fight for freedom beyond our borders. The only amount of land we have ever asked for in return
> is enough to bury those that did not return."
>
> Name a country the the imperial US has colonized? Well, I guess you could say the 2nd and 3rd
> largest economies in the world, Japan and Germany, were crush by the US and rebuilt from the
> ground up (after which we left).
>
> Please make an argument, instead of just repeating a sign you saw at an anti-war rally.
>

> "Gary Smiley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Tom, as I write this, it isn't quite April Fools' day yet, so don't expect me to believe that a
> > cannon could shoot a shell around the world, or even hit Mexico City. This is even less
> > believable than all the reasons given in this thread for invading Iraq. Let's not kid ourselves-
> > it's all about oil, wealth, power, and imperialism, with "freedom" as a paltry excuse.
> >
> > Tom Kunich wrote: We also know that he was building a super cannon and perhaps what you don't
> >
> > > know is that cannon could have been capable of shooting a shell entirely around the world. The
> > > expert he was using had a 'normal' cannon in his front yard on the border between Montreal and
> > > the USA. He was quoted as saying that he couldn't reveal the range of that particular cannon
> > > but that he could easily hit Mexico City. That's roughly 4,000 miles and a super version of
> > > such a cannon would give him the power of an ICBM with a far smaller chance for intercepting
> > > the weapon.

What an unmitigated crock of ****! We (the USA) have supported despot regimes around the world for
at least 100 yrs. So why is Hussein any different? Freedom and the American way of life? Freedom my
ass. Don't make me puke. The administration has yet to prove a connection between Iraq & Bin Ladin.
If that is our reason we should invade Saudi Arabia. There is an obvious & known connection.
Democracy? Democracy you say? How can we hope to be an example of democracy when our president
wasn't even elected? Except by criminality in Florida. How can anyone be so stupid as to believe the
administrations propaganda? The reasons are clear as the stupid look on the unelected presidents
face. This war is simply & purely about a non elected president, the Bush family & their Texas
criminal cronies such as Hailburton and Enron wanting Iraq's oil, and the profits from rebuilding
Iraq. They are so unbelievably arrogant, that the administration has already invited a few certain
select contractors to bid on the rebuilding of Iraq. Now how the hell can any contractor bid on any
project when the scope of the work is totally unknown? That kind of bidding is called line up to
rape (ops, I mean reap) the rewards of being an administration favorite. Then they benevolently
announce that Haliburton will not be the lead contractor. They will

that Chaney guy, you know the unelected vice pres. w/ the pacemaker associated in some small way w/
Haliburton? To preserve a modicum of the appearance of non-US exploitation, the work should be given
to all non-US contractors. And then we'll just take the oil at prices comparable to Viet Namise
workers wages. That move could demonstrate to the world that the administration isn't a greedy
thieving bunch of bastards. Oh no! They'd still look that way. Well then they might as well just
steal the construction profits too. What the Hell! The facts are so blinding obvious as to be
laughable. Why do you think most of the rest of the world is against this? By the by. Criminal
behavior is nothing new to the Bush tribe; in the '80s they drained, & bankrupted every saving and
loan they became associated with. Exploiting another deregulation situation just like Enron and
California. I wonder how many more times history will repeat its self with these bastards? What is
so amazing to me is that we, the middle class working Americans end up paying for all this, and yet
I would bet that most of the posters here (rec.bicycle.tech) fall into this catigory. Unless you are
filthy rich and one of the adminstrations favorites, you've got to be really dumb to support these
bastards. John

"KBH" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Are not these countries free to believe and live as they do?
>
>When they are a threat to us, no.
>
>>Must they act as we do?
>>
>> I hope not or they wouldn't be free.
>>
>> Judging the success of others by ones own values is narrow and self
>centered.
>
>Not when my values represent good and theirs evil. You subscribe to the moral equivalence school of
>thought, which I disregard as dangerous and myopic. Good is good, evil is evil.

The current Iraqi regime is evil (not many argue that point), but the Iraqi people are not. The form
of government they choose will lay the foundation for their future success (or failure). I don't
expect them to even want a US-style democracy, but they can do better than Saddam pretty easily.

The "good and evil" thing doesn't really play. There are elements of both in each type of system -
we certainly have some "evil" components in our system, and they certainly have some "good" in
theirs. As much as you want to believe we have a lock on the truth, it's all relative. The ideal
society to the average Arab would probably be a benevolent dictatorship with strong Islamic
content... while the very same thing would be unthinkable to the average US citizen.

> The ideal society to the average Arab would probably be a benevolent dictatorship with strong
> Islamic content... while the very same thing would be unthinkable to the average US citizen.

Ask yourself why this is so.

> Mark Hickey Habanero Cycles http://www.habcycles.com Home of the $695 ti frame

rant. didn't read it.

"John McGraw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> [...]

> greedy thieving bunch of bastards. Oh no! They'd still look that way. Well then they might as well
> just steal the construction profits too. What the Hell! The facts are so blinding obvious as to be
> laughable. Why do you think most of the rest of the world is against this? By the by. Criminal
> behavior is nothing new to the Bush tribe; in the '80s they drained, & bankrupted every saving and
> loan they became associated with. Exploiting another deregulation situation just like Enron and
> California. I wonder how many more times history will repeat its self with these bastards? What is
> so amazing to me is that we, the middle class working Americans end up paying for all this, and
> yet I would bet that most of the posters here (rec.bicycle.tech) fall into this catigory. Unless
> you are filthy rich and one of the adminstrations favorites, you've got to be really dumb to

useful. thanks.

"Gary Smiley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> We don't colonize- it looks too obvious. We just go in and set up puppet governments, as in Chile,
> Central America, etc. We missed out on the great
wave
> of Imperialism in the Nineteenth Century, much to the disappointment of
Teddy
> Roosevelt.
>
> KBH wrote:
>
> > Name a country the the imperial US has colonized?

No powerful counterpoise to the American hegemony seems to
> remain, what with the enfeebling of the U.S.S.R.

the problem I have with this statement is that 'American hegemony' was necessitated by the existence
of the truly imperial USSR.

actually, I did glance through it, and I then quickly realized I'd read this before. Isn't this rant
posted on crazyconsiracytheoryliberal.com? I think I've seen it cut and pasted (and subsequently
ignored) on several message boards that were attempting to engage in real discourse.

In rec.bicycles.racing Tom Kunich <[email protected]> wrote:
> Let me get this straight, a study commissioned by members of this administration reported that
> mistakes had been made in the past and suggested changes?

Nope, you didn't get it straight. A manefesto was crafted by future members of this administration
laying out precisely the agenda now in progress. The agenda clearly outlines a grandiose plan to
maintain such a presence as to render the sovereignty of those nations meaningless.

However, the administration publically claims 911 is the reason for its actions. 911 happened more
than a yaer later.

> college.

Another brilliant Kunichism. When are you upping and joining the crusade?

> [...]
>> > _______

> be
>> > it
>> > reasonings

>> > opposed

> preceeded
>> > it.

>> > propaganda
> the

>> > Hussein?
>> > slaughtered
> style,
>> > in
>> > elsewhere?

>> > universal and
>> > minor

> of
>> > course,

>> > always at
>> > defend

In rec.bicycles.racing Tom Kunich <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Gary Smiley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Tom, as I write this, it isn't quite April Fools' day yet, so don't
> expect
>> me to believe that a cannon could shoot a shell around the world, or
> even
>> hit Mexico City. This is even less believable than all the reasons
> given
>> in this thread for invading Iraq.

> Let me tell you something Gary - in 1967 I worked at a company that had as a project a super
> projectile cannon that could not only shoot a shot clear around the world, or all the way to the
> moon - but entirely out of this solar system. Go look up the velocity of such a projectile.

> At that same time that Canadian (who was later advising Saddam Hussein and building his cannon and
> who was subsequently assasinated when he refused to stop doing so and was warned several times but
> the Israelis) offered to build a cannon for the US to launch satillites into space. He also
> developed the technology which doubled the range of US 150 mm cannons.

> If you don't know what the power of a high peformance cannon is these days I suggest you study the
> matter before making a stupid statement.

>> Let's not kid ourselves- it's all about oil, wealth, power, and imperialism, with "freedom" as a
>> paltry excuse.

> Ahh, yes, I see your agenda now. Stupidity at any price.

"Gary Smiley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> George Carlin once did a comedy bit about how guns were like dicks, and how troops had to have
> bigger "dicks" than the enemy. So I'm sure you're just salivating over this cannon. But it's April
> Fool's day now, so you can tell me anything you want. You can tell me that the moon is made out of
> green cheese, or that we're in this war to protect "freedom". But this cannon thing is the most
> outrageous piece of ******** I have ever heard. It's never been made, it's never going to be made,
> but if it ever does get made, well then you can call me stupid. Until then I'll just chalk it up
> as an April Fool's Day rant on your part.

Its never been made, but Hussein was serious about trying to make it. It was on 60 Minutes, among
other shows. Don't think it got past a bunch of pieces cast for the barrel.

Don't see why it can't be done. OTOH, I wouldn't volunteer to be anywhere near the first attempt
to fire it. Something tells me snap shots wouldn't be the order of the day either. So what it
would accomplish that rocketry couldn't do better (other than a lack of projectile signature and
hard to intercept - except that everyone knows where the cannon is and blows it up instead), I
can't figure out.

--
Curtis L. Russell Odenton, MD (USA) Just someone on two wheels...

In rec.bicycles.racing KBH <[email protected]> wrote:
> No powerful counterpoise to the American hegemony seems to
>> remain, what with the enfeebling of the U.S.S.R.
>>

> the problem I have with this statement is that 'American hegemony' was necessitated by the
> existence of the truly imperial USSR.

I guess the USSR forced James Monroe's hand when he issued that Doctrine. The USSR was also behind
Manefest Destiny...

> the problem I have with this statement is that 'American hegemony' was
> > necessitated by the existence of the truly imperial USSR.
>
> I guess the USSR forced James Monroe's hand when he issued that Doctrine. The USSR was also behind
> Manefest Destiny...

The US of A is the greatest force of good the world has ever seen. Would you rather have seen the
USSR as the only remaining superpower? Those of you complaining about American hegemony (equating
Manifest Destiny to imperialsim?) are either far right isolationists (doubtful) or American hating
liberals. I too believe we are involved in far too many countries. But when our national security is
at stake, I do not apologize.

I'm going to end my participation in this discussion. Once in a rare while I delve into one of these
discussions for fun and to sharpen my reasoning skills, but then I realize I'm sharpening my knife
with peanut butter. I'd rather be riding my bike.

>our foreign policy is motivated my anything more than our own self interest.

HEY, I AGREE WITH YOU!!!