OT: Woman dies from drinking too much water

Phil, Non-Squid wrote:
> Horrible yet completely avoidable. Makes you wonder that if they had used
> 5% dextrose or .9% saline if this would have happened.

It happened to athletes too. But who competes in such a contest? Sounds like
hotdog eating championships and so....

Derk

Derk wrote:
> Phil, Non-Squid wrote:
>> Horrible yet completely avoidable. Makes you wonder that if they had used
>> 5% dextrose or .9% saline if this would have happened.

> It happened to athletes too. But who competes in such a contest? Sounds like
> hotdog eating championships and so....

It also happened to the student at Chico who was being hazed by his
fraternity.

Greg

--
"All my time I spent in heaven
Revelries of dance and wine

On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 10:12:58 -0500, "Phil, Non-Squid"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/13/water.intox.ap/index.html
>
>Horrible yet completely avoidable. Makes you wonder that if they had used
>5% dextrose or .9% saline if this would have happened.

Dear Phil,

Let's not make excuses! You might as well tell alcoholics that they
can drink all the gin they like as long they add a few drops of
vermouth.

I never drink water. I'm afraid it will become habit-forming.

I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in
it.

I never drink water; that is the stuff that rusts pipes.

Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but
food and water.

You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it.

Say anything that you like about me except that I drink water.

Cheers,

Claude Dukenfield

Phil, Non-Squid wrote:
> http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/13/water.intox.ap/index.html
>
> Horrible yet completely avoidable. Makes you wonder that if they had used
> 5% dextrose or .9% saline if this would have happened.

I was told once that if you add a bit of sugar and salt to your water
(during physical activity, that is--not a silly water-drinking contest)
that it can greatly reduce the chances of overhydration occurring. Is
this true or not? When I noted this on a bicycling forum, others
insisted it was not true.
~

Phil, Non-Squid wrote:
> http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/13/water.intox.ap/index.html
>
> Horrible yet completely avoidable. Makes you wonder that if they had used
> 5% dextrose or .9% saline if this would have happened.

I have heard of people ending up in the E.R. for drinking too much
water, but never of an actual death from consuming too much water.

Ken
--
The bicycle is just as good company as most husbands and, when it gets
old and shabby, a woman can dispose of it and get a new one without

"Ken C. M." I have heard of people ending up in the E.R. for drinking too
much water, but never of an actual death from consuming too much water.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Well, you've heard of it now.

Referring to an earlier post--adding salt or sugar to the water will have no
effect if the water is being drunk by a person under duress (hazing), or
stupidity (contest.)

In article <[email protected]>,
"Ken C. M." <[email protected]> wrote:

> Phil, Non-Squid wrote:
> > http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/13/water.intox.ap/index.html
> >
> > Horrible yet completely avoidable. Makes you wonder that if they
> > had used 5% dextrose or .9% saline if this would have happened.
> >

> I have heard of people ending up in the E.R. for drinking too much
> water, but never of an actual death from consuming too much water.

A few years back there was some British guy who wrote a book advocating
drinking large quantities of water. He was later found dead from water
intoxication, IIRC.

Too much of anything is not good. It's as simple as that.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Ken C. M." <[email protected]> wrote:

> Phil, Non-Squid wrote:
> > http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/13/water.intox.ap/index.html
> >
> > Horrible yet completely avoidable. Makes you wonder that if they had used
> > 5% dextrose or .9% saline if this would have happened.
> >

> I have heard of people ending up in the E.R. for drinking too much
> water, but never of an actual death from consuming too much water.

Perfectly possible. Die of cerebral oedema!
--

"Artoi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Ken C. M." <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Phil, Non-Squid wrote:
>> > http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/13/water.intox.ap/index.html
>> >
>> > Horrible yet completely avoidable. Makes you wonder that if they
>> > had used
>> > 5% dextrose or .9% saline if this would have happened.
>> >

>> I have heard of people ending up in the E.R. for drinking too much
>> water, but never of an actual death from consuming too much water.

> Perfectly possible. Die of cerebral oedema!
> --

Yes, the way I understand it is, if there is too much water and a low
sodium content in fluid outside of the cells, the cells will take on
more water and swell. Not a good thing for brain cells.

Phil H

>On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 10:12:58 -0500, "Phil, Non-Squid"
><[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/13/water.intox.ap/index.html
>>
>>Horrible yet completely avoidable. Makes you wonder that if they had used
>>5% dextrose or .9% saline if this would have happened.

>Dear Phil,
>
>Let's not make excuses! You might as well tell alcoholics that they
>can drink all the gin they like as long they add a few drops of
>vermouth.
>
>I never drink water. I'm afraid it will become habit-forming.
>
>I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in
>it.
>
>I never drink water; that is the stuff that rusts pipes.
>
>Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but
>food and water.
>
>You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it.
>
>Say anything that you like about me except that I drink water.

Not only that... but virtually all water, even the stuff supposedly "pure",
is contaminated by dihydrogen monoxide.

-f
--

Frank Miles aka "Nathan Zohner" wrote:

"Frank Miles" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 10:12:58 -0500, "Phil, Non-Squid"
>><[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/13/water.intox.ap/index.html
>>>
>>>Horrible yet completely avoidable. Makes you wonder that if they had
>>>used
>>>5% dextrose or .9% saline if this would have happened.

>>Dear Phil,
>>
>>Let's not make excuses! You might as well tell alcoholics that they
>>can drink all the gin they like as long they add a few drops of
>>vermouth.
>>
>>I never drink water. I'm afraid it will become habit-forming.
>>
>>I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in
>>it.
>>
>>I never drink water; that is the stuff that rusts pipes.
>>
>>Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but
>>food and water.
>>
>>You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it.
>>
>>Say anything that you like about me except that I drink water.

> Not only that... but virtually all water, even the stuff supposedly
> "pure",
> is contaminated by dihydrogen monoxide.

Yes, it's very dangerous stuff, people can drown in it.

Phil H

On Mon, 15 Jan 2007 05:22:33 +0000 (UTC), [email protected] (Frank
Miles) wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>On Sun, 14 Jan 2007 10:12:58 -0500, "Phil, Non-Squid"
>><[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>>http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/13/water.intox.ap/index.html
>>>
>>>Horrible yet completely avoidable. Makes you wonder that if they had used
>>>5% dextrose or .9% saline if this would have happened.

>>Dear Phil,
>>
>>Let's not make excuses! You might as well tell alcoholics that they
>>can drink all the gin they like as long they add a few drops of
>>vermouth.
>>
>>I never drink water. I'm afraid it will become habit-forming.
>>
>>I never drink water because of the disgusting things that fish do in
>>it.
>>
>>I never drink water; that is the stuff that rusts pipes.
>>
>>Once, during Prohibition, I was forced to live for days on nothing but
>>food and water.
>>
>>You can't trust water: Even a straight stick turns crooked in it.
>>
>>Say anything that you like about me except that I drink water.

>Not only that... but virtually all water, even the stuff supposedly "pure",
>is contaminated by dihydrogen monoxide.

I'm not sure it's true, but I read that about half the potable water
in the US is in the lower 50% in terms of water quality.

--
JT
****************************

Frank Miles wrote:

> Not only that... but virtually all water, even the stuff supposedly "pure",
> is contaminated by dihydrogen monoxide.

Worse yet, it's got deuterium in it.

Tom Ace

"Tom Ace" wrote: Worse yet, it's got deuterium in it.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Well, so does the upper 50%. There is little hope. I took a sample of
water into the lab and diluted it with H2O, and, you know what? The
concentration didn.t change--just the volume. It's mysterious stuff.

-snip-

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
> I'm not sure it's true, but I read that about half the potable water
> in the US is in the lower 50% in terms of water quality.

Heh heh heh.
Ouside of Wobegon it's unexceptional then?
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Artoi wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "Phil, Non-Squid" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/01/13/water.intox.ap/index.html
> >
> > Horrible yet completely avoidable. Makes you wonder that if they had used
> > 5% dextrose or .9% saline if this would have happened.

> Potential candidate for the Darwin's Award 2007!

Too late. Darwin Awards are for people who remove themselves from the
gene pool. She entered the contest to win a video game console for her
kids.