OT: World Toilet Day - no, really!

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dirtylitterboxo

Apparently 19th November was World Toilet Day.

See http://www.worldtoilet.org/hp/wto_hp.htm

I missed it - bummer!

The press release is a hoot (it can be downloaded from the link on the web addy above). Included on
it are "10 things everyone can do" which includes, "5. Give way to the old and disabled, and help
them if possible" I don't know about you, but when I'm in the loo, I like to be there alone, and
with the best of intentions, have no plans to give way to anyone - they can wait until I'm finished
my business in there.

And I love the "World Toilet Organisation wishes everyone "A Happy and Healthy Toilet Day"." Much
nicer than wishing them diahorrea don't you think.

Also, where it says, "Since 2001, World Toilet Day has become a global platform for academics,
sanitation experts, toilet designers, environmentalists, etc. to share the latest on rural and urban
types of toilets. This year onwards, we would like the public to do so." This makes me think along
the lines of how many angels can you get on a pinhead - now it's how many academics, etc., can you
get on a toilet seat cover.

And the tagline, "World Toilet Organisation also takes this opportunity to reinforce our tagline
'Its everybody's business'" is *great* ;-)

Cheers, helen s

--This is an invalid email address to avoid spam-- to get correct one remove dependency on fame &
fortune h*$el*$$e**nd***$o$ts***i*$*$m**m$$o*n**s@$*$a$$o**l.c**$*$om$$

dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers wrote:

> And the tagline, "World Toilet Organisation also takes this opportunity to reinforce our tagline
> 'Its everybody's business'" is great ;-)

And it's about time everybody incorporated humanization principles when designing toilet facilities,
too. Far too many of the martian types are being buitl.

--
Guy http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk "Sic hoc adfixum in obice legere potes, et liberaliter
educatus et nimis propinquus ades"

> See http://www.worldtoilet.org/hp/wto_hp.htm
>

I remember reading on a UN website about an Indian doctor who brought the flush toilet (after the
traditional British design) [1] to many rural villages in that country; greatly improving sanitation
and community health. His project is mentioned as "global good practice in the public sector". And
quite right too... (in amongst all the war, terrorism and trouble in the world its good to see
someone doing something positive in the community.)

> "5. Give way to the old and disabled, and help them if possible" I don't know about you, but when
> I'm in the loo, I like to be there alone, and
with the
> best of intentions, have no plans to give way to anyone - they can wait
until
> I'm finished my business in there.

In the UK we are often lucky enough may have more than one WC in a building, in other parts of the
world there are communal facilities which serve a number of families (or large extended families).
If you look at the "about us" section you will notice a lot of the contributors are from Asia. Bear
in mind that even in the more developed areas like Malaysia and Singapore there are still places
where a conventional toilet is not commonly found (or is the "squat toilet" out the back, which is
often shared with the local wildlife).

ISTR officers of the Singapore buildings ministry encouraging people to flush *before* going; to
frighten away any snakes who may otherwise attempt to enter a building via the WC. Sensible advice;
there are a *lot* of snakes in SE Asia and many are poisonous!

Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.