OT: Yet another wreck at a famous intersection

Eric Vey

Guest
Octavia and Market in SF.
http://cbs5.com/local/market.accident.bicycle.2.673649.html

Bikescape podcast covered protests at this intersection in March 2005
and repeated it Feb., 2007.

As Octavia Boulevard rises from the rubble of the old Central Freeway,
Bikescape takes a tour along with about thirty others led by Robin
Levitt and Tom Radulovich from Livable City. The walk was jointly
sponsored by Walk San Francisco and Transportation for a Livable City.

The downfall of the freeway and the rise of the Boulevard is another
chapter on San Francisco's ongoing freeway revolt, a grass-roots
movement that goes back to the fifties. San Francisco owes its
livability, charm and cohesive community to the individual neighborhood
activists who banded together at strategic times to fight the auto
culture that was treatening to choke the city with cars and blight.
Imagine what almost happened: an elevated freeway on Polk St. and six
lanes cut into a trench where the Panhandle an Golden Gate Park now
stand! And most of these victories (and some of the losses) squeaked by
on six to five votes!

Listen to the podcast or
go to Bikescape in itunes
http://ia310913.us.archive.org/3/it...ComestoLife/_bikescape_21307_octavia_tour.mp3

In article <[email protected]>, Eric Vey
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Octavia and Market in SF.
> http://cbs5.com/local/market.accident.bicycle.2.673649.html

Hit and run. The motorist *did* turn himself in 3+ hours after the
fact, claiming he was "recovering from a stroke"?!!

I'm uncertain which is more disturbing: the frequency of bike/car run
ins or the impression that a significant number turn out to be hit and
runs. Has civility so declined that mowing down another human being is
insufficient reason to stop?

In article <110320081119456966%[email protected]>,
Luke <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>, Eric Vey
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Octavia and Market in SF.
> > http://cbs5.com/local/market.accident.bicycle.2.673649.html

> Hit and run. The motorist *did* turn himself in 3+ hours after the
> fact, claiming he was "recovering from a stroke"?!!
>
> I'm uncertain which is more disturbing: the frequency of bike/car run
> ins or the impression that a significant number turn out to be hit and
> runs. Has civility so declined that mowing down another human being is
> insufficient reason to stop?

Selection bias: hit-and-runs are extraordinary accidents (fatal ones
even more so) so every one gets reported and is likely to find its way
to rbt.