[OT] You have to laugh

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by ScumOfTheRoad, Sep 8, 2004.

  1. You have to laugh sometimes.
    I just got a letter from British Gas, in an envelope marked
    "Carbon Neutral - printed by a Carbon Neutral Company"

    CH + 2O --> CO + 2H O
    4 2 2 2

    Tags:

  2. ScumOfTheRoad <[email protected]> writes:

    > You have to laugh sometimes.
    > I just got a letter from British Gas, in an envelope marked
    > "Carbon Neutral - printed by a Carbon Neutral Company"
    >
    > CH + 2O --> CO + 2H O
    > 4 2 2 2

    I sincerely hope it's not letting any of the Carbon 14 atoms in that
    paper degrade senselessly into nitrogen. A terrible waste if ever I
    saw it :)

  3. Robert Bruce

    Robert Bruce Guest

    mae <[email protected]> wedi ysgrifennu:
    > You have to laugh sometimes.
    > I just got a letter from British Gas, in an envelope marked
    > "Carbon Neutral - printed by a Carbon Neutral Company"

    They only transport it. If you're irresponsible enough to burn the stuff
    when it gets to you, then that's your business, you Earth Killer, you ;-)

    --
    Rob

    Please keep conversations in the newsgroup so that all may contribute
    and benefit.

  4. s....Six

    s....Six Guest

    news:[email protected]

  5. On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 16:48:20 +0100, Ambrose Nankivell wrote:

    > I sincerely hope it's not letting any of the Carbon 14 atoms in that
    > paper degrade senselessly into nitrogen. A terrible waste if ever I
    > saw it :)

    I would say that is a laughing matter,
    but I can't get CO2 to turn into N2O.

  6. ScumOfTheRoad wrote:

    > You have to laugh sometimes.
    > I just got a letter from British Gas, in an envelope marked
    > "Carbon Neutral - printed by a Carbon Neutral Company"
    >

    > CH + 2O --> CO + 2H O
    > 4 2 2 2

    Maybe they've covered Australia in pine trees and no-one's heard about
    it yet?

  7. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 16:41:08 +0100, ScumOfTheRoad <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >You have to laugh sometimes.
    >I just got a letter from British Gas, in an envelope marked
    >"Carbon Neutral - printed by a Carbon Neutral Company"

    Notice they're not claiming to be a Carbon Neutral Company, only that
    their envelopes are printed by one. I'm not sure how much that
    redresses the balance though.

    --
    Dave...

    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain

  8. ScumOfTheRoad <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > I would say that is a laughing matter,
    > but I can't get CO2 to turn into N2O.

    Apparently the latest word from the food industry is that an
    N2O-flavoured Oxo cube is soon to be launched. A spokesman for Oxo
    said today "We reckon it'll be a laughing stock".

    Erm, I'll get me coat....

    David E. Belcher

  9. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, deb107
    [email protected] says...
    > Apparently the latest word from the food industry is that an
    > N2O-flavoured Oxo cube is soon to be launched. A spokesman for Oxo
    > said today "We reckon it'll be a laughing stock".
    >
    > Erm, I'll get me coat....

    Ow!

    Jon

  10. In article <[email protected]>,
    ScumOfTheRoad <URL:mailto:[email protected]> wrote:
    > On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 16:48:20 +0100, Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
    > > I sincerely hope it's not letting any of the Carbon 14 atoms in
    > > that paper degrade senselessly into nitrogen. A terrible waste if
    > > ever I saw it :)

    > I would say that is a laughing matter, but I can't get CO2 to turn
    > into N2O.

    Carbon 14 is radioactive and decays to form Nitrogen 14 (which isn't
    radioactive, like 99% of the Nitrogen on Earth). During the decay of
    C-14, a beta particle is emitted.

    Alex.
    --
    http://homepages.enterprise.net/alexsmith
    Warning: Anti-UCE address in "From" line.

  11. Gawnsoft

    Gawnsoft Guest

    On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 07:40:40 GMT, Dave Kahn <[email protected]>
    wrote (more or less):

    >On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 16:41:08 +0100, ScumOfTheRoad <[email protected]>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>You have to laugh sometimes.
    >>I just got a letter from British Gas, in an envelope marked
    >>"Carbon Neutral - printed by a Carbon Neutral Company"

    >Notice they're not claiming to be a Carbon Neutral Company, only that
    >their envelopes are printed by one. I'm not sure how much that
    >redresses the balance though.

    Err, if it's carbon /neutral/ printing, then... not at all, surely?
    :)

    --
    Cheers,
    Euan

  12. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 23:11:25 GMT, Gawnsoft
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 07:40:40 GMT, Dave Kahn <[email protected]>
    >wrote (more or less):

    >>Notice they're not claiming to be a Carbon Neutral Company, only that
    >>their envelopes are printed by one. I'm not sure how much that
    >>redresses the balance though.

    >Err, if it's carbon /neutral/ printing, then... not at all, surely?
    >:)

    Good point.