[OT] You have to laugh

ScumOfTheRoad

Guest
You have to laugh sometimes.
I just got a letter from British Gas, in an envelope marked
"Carbon Neutral - printed by a Carbon Neutral Company"

CH + 2O --> CO + 2H O
4 2 2 2

ScumOfTheRoad <[email protected]> writes:

> You have to laugh sometimes.
> I just got a letter from British Gas, in an envelope marked
> "Carbon Neutral - printed by a Carbon Neutral Company"
>
> CH + 2O --> CO + 2H O
> 4 2 2 2

I sincerely hope it's not letting any of the Carbon 14 atoms in that
paper degrade senselessly into nitrogen. A terrible waste if ever I
saw it :)

mae <[email protected]> wedi ysgrifennu:
> You have to laugh sometimes.
> I just got a letter from British Gas, in an envelope marked
> "Carbon Neutral - printed by a Carbon Neutral Company"

They only transport it. If you're irresponsible enough to burn the stuff
when it gets to you, then that's your business, you Earth Killer, you ;-)

--
Rob

Please keep conversations in the newsgroup so that all may contribute
and benefit.

news:[email protected]...

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 16:48:20 +0100, Ambrose Nankivell wrote:

> I sincerely hope it's not letting any of the Carbon 14 atoms in that
> paper degrade senselessly into nitrogen. A terrible waste if ever I
> saw it :)

I would say that is a laughing matter,
but I can't get CO2 to turn into N2O.

ScumOfTheRoad wrote:

> You have to laugh sometimes.
> I just got a letter from British Gas, in an envelope marked
> "Carbon Neutral - printed by a Carbon Neutral Company"
>

> CH + 2O --> CO + 2H O
> 4 2 2 2

Maybe they've covered Australia in pine trees and no-one's heard about
it yet?

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 16:41:08 +0100, ScumOfTheRoad <[email protected]>
wrote:

>You have to laugh sometimes.
>I just got a letter from British Gas, in an envelope marked
>"Carbon Neutral - printed by a Carbon Neutral Company"

Notice they're not claiming to be a Carbon Neutral Company, only that
their envelopes are printed by one. I'm not sure how much that
redresses the balance though.

--
Dave...

Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain

ScumOfTheRoad <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

> I would say that is a laughing matter,
> but I can't get CO2 to turn into N2O.

Apparently the latest word from the food industry is that an
N2O-flavoured Oxo cube is soon to be launched. A spokesman for Oxo
said today "We reckon it'll be a laughing stock".

Erm, I'll get me coat....

David E. Belcher

In article <[email protected]>, deb107
[email protected] says...
> Apparently the latest word from the food industry is that an
> N2O-flavoured Oxo cube is soon to be launched. A spokesman for Oxo
> said today "We reckon it'll be a laughing stock".
>
> Erm, I'll get me coat....

Ow!

Jon

In article <[email protected]>,
ScumOfTheRoad <URL:mailto:[email protected]> wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 16:48:20 +0100, Ambrose Nankivell wrote:
> > I sincerely hope it's not letting any of the Carbon 14 atoms in
> > that paper degrade senselessly into nitrogen. A terrible waste if
> > ever I saw it :)

> I would say that is a laughing matter, but I can't get CO2 to turn
> into N2O.

Carbon 14 is radioactive and decays to form Nitrogen 14 (which isn't
radioactive, like 99% of the Nitrogen on Earth). During the decay of
C-14, a beta particle is emitted.

Alex.
--
http://homepages.enterprise.net/alexsmith
Warning: Anti-UCE address in "From" line.

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 07:40:40 GMT, Dave Kahn <[email protected]>
wrote (more or less):

>On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 16:41:08 +0100, ScumOfTheRoad <[email protected]>
>wrote:
>
>>You have to laugh sometimes.
>>I just got a letter from British Gas, in an envelope marked
>>"Carbon Neutral - printed by a Carbon Neutral Company"

>Notice they're not claiming to be a Carbon Neutral Company, only that
>their envelopes are printed by one. I'm not sure how much that
>redresses the balance though.

Err, if it's carbon /neutral/ printing, then... not at all, surely?
:)

--
Cheers,
Euan

On Sun, 19 Sep 2004 23:11:25 GMT, Gawnsoft
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 07:40:40 GMT, Dave Kahn <[email protected]>
>wrote (more or less):

>>Notice they're not claiming to be a Carbon Neutral Company, only that
>>their envelopes are printed by one. I'm not sure how much that
>>redresses the balance though.

>Err, if it's carbon /neutral/ printing, then... not at all, surely?
>:)

Good point.