OT:

Nice to see something in the world where bike racing leads the way.

I work at ebay, and while having a look at the "most watched" items on
the site this morning, I was pleaseantly surprised that within the
sporting goods category, a Masi Gran Criterium was tops. Actually, 4
of the top 10 items were bike racing related, and 5 of them bike
related.

http://pulse.ebay.com/_Sporting-Goods_W0QQsacategoryZ382Q26catrefQ3DC6

yeah, yeah. Go ahead and say I'm just plugging our website (I'm
not)...It's just good to see bike racing finally finding its way into
pop culture.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Nice to see something in the world where bike racing leads the way.
>
> I work at ebay, and while having a look at the "most watched" items on
> the site this morning, I was pleaseantly surprised that within the
> sporting goods category, a Masi Gran Criterium was tops. Actually, 4
> of the top 10 items were bike racing related, and 5 of them bike
> related.
>
> http://pulse.ebay.com/_Sporting-Goods_W0QQsacategoryZ382Q26catrefQ3DC6
>
> yeah, yeah. Go ahead and say I'm just plugging our website (I'm
> not)...It's just good to see bike racing finally finding its way into
> pop culture.

Yep ... that was a nice, shameless plug. But that's OK.

I suspect the seemingly disproportionate number of hits on cycling stuff is
a function of the fact that retail pricing for cycling-related stuff is so
ridiculously off the charts that almost everyone who is seriously into the
sport is forced to bargain shop. Racers on decent teams get their stuff for
free or at deep discounts. Dentists buy stuff at full retail from the LBS.
Everybody else is in the second-hand market.

It's never made any sense to me that you can get a near-state-of-the-art
computer for half or less of what it costs to buy a decent new racing bike.

--
Bob C.

"Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)

psycholist wrote:
> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Nice to see something in the world where bike racing leads the way.
>>
>>I work at ebay, and while having a look at the "most watched" items on
>>the site this morning, I was pleaseantly surprised that within the
>>sporting goods category, a Masi Gran Criterium was tops. Actually, 4
>>of the top 10 items were bike racing related, and 5 of them bike
>>related.
>>
>>http://pulse.ebay.com/_Sporting-Goods_W0QQsacategoryZ382Q26catrefQ3DC6
>>
>>yeah, yeah. Go ahead and say I'm just plugging our website (I'm
>>not)...It's just good to see bike racing finally finding its way into
>>pop culture.
>>

> Yep ... that was a nice, shameless plug. But that's OK.
>
> I suspect the seemingly disproportionate number of hits on cycling stuff is
> a function of the fact that retail pricing for cycling-related stuff is so
> ridiculously off the charts that almost everyone who is seriously into the
> sport is forced to bargain shop. Racers on decent teams get their stuff for
> free or at deep discounts. Dentists buy stuff at full retail from the LBS.

Hey--the LBS is a bunch of nice guys!

S. Bornfeld, DDS

> Everybody else is in the second-hand market.
>
> It's never made any sense to me that you can get a near-state-of-the-art
> computer for half or less of what it costs to buy a decent new racing bike.

"Steven Bornfeld" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hey--the LBS is a bunch of nice guys!
>
> S. Bornfeld, DDS

Truthfully, I don't know what I'd do without my LBS. He helps me find great
deals.

But my dentist bought like a $9,000 Colnago C50 custom job and promptly gave
up the sport. Then he went out and bought a Harley. I hear lots of stories
like that about dentists for some reason.

Sorry Doc.

--
Bob C.

"Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)

I can do without my LBS. The owner runs the local "team" of
professional Cat3's and has them all believing that he's this generous
"sponsor" of the club...What they don't realize is that he is not
giving them any kind of discount on the team kits, and the rules of his
club require them to wear a team kit whenever out training.

Myself, I prefer to patronize bike shops where the owner simply has an
appreciation of fine bikes and good customer service.

If I could get my old LBS back, and in my current town, I'd be in
heaven though.

psycholist wrote:

> "Steven Bornfeld" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Hey--the LBS is a bunch of nice guys!
>>
>>S. Bornfeld, DDS
>>

> Truthfully, I don't know what I'd do without my LBS. He helps me find great
> deals.
>
> But my dentist bought like a $9,000 Colnago C50 custom job and promptly gave
> up the sport. Then he went out and bought a Harley. I hear lots of stories
> like that about dentists for some reason.
>
> Sorry Doc.

My old fred bicycle club was dominated by dentists. I wasn't even the
first dentist to be president.
Dentists tend to be techno-geeks, but I'm not. I'm driving an '89
Honda Accord with 127K miles on it, and ride a c. 1982 Olmo SL with
mixed components that I bought new.

Steve

--
Mark & Steven Bornfeld DDS