Other books good as "The Rider"?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by John Crankshaw, Aug 12, 2003.

  1. There must be other cycling books as good as "The Rider." Anyone know of any?

    Tags:

  2. Scribe2b

    Scribe2b Guest

    >There must be other cycling books as good as "The Rider." Anyone know of any?

    Hearts of lions by peter Nye nonfiction, awesome book jc

  3. Benjo Maso

    Benjo Maso Guest

    "John Crankshaw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > There must be other cycling books as good as "The Rider." Anyone know of any?

    I think "The Rider" is rather unique.Perhaps because a large majority of cycling books pretending to
    be "fact" are to a large amount already "fiction", cycling books in the categerie "fiction" are more
    or less superfluous, and most of them are mediocre at best. AFAIK "The Rider" is the only exception.
    Of course, there are a lot of good books on cycling history and similar subjects, but they are quite
    different.

    Benjo Maso

  4. rick-paulos

    rick-paulos Guest

    "John Crankshaw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > There must be other cycling books as good as "The Rider." Anyone know of any?

    I just started in on "The Long Season : One Year of Bicycle Road Racing in California" by Bruno
    Schull. Yuck. The best chapter so far is the account of watching paris roubaix on a bar stool in
    california in 1995 or so. The rest is awful. I hope it won't take me one year to finish it. That
    book has been demoted to something to read while sitting on the throne.

    FYI: The race in "The Rider" is all fiction. It just seems so real. Don't go looking thru the record
    books trying to find results. I'd suggest trying to read it in one sitting, just like the race it
    covers. It's a fast read and wouldn't take any longer than a 150km race in the rain.

    The Greg Moody books are okay.

    There is a lack of decent pro race fiction in print. Guess we will have to settle for rbr posts.

  5. Jan

    Jan Guest

    "The Rider"??? Who's the author ? Is this an American book?

    TIA

    Jan

    ---

  6. Benjo Maso

    Benjo Maso Guest

  7. John Crankshaw wrote:

    > There must be other cycling books as good as "The Rider." Anyone know of any?

    Salz im Kaffee, by Hans Blickensdörfer. The English translation is called: "North Wind in
    Your Spokes".

    Hans Blickensdörfer was a rather famous German cycling journalist (he died not too long ago).

    Dieter

  8. C Sinensis

    C Sinensis Guest

    "John Crankshaw" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > There must be other cycling books as good as "The Rider." Anyone know of any?

    Perhaps its poor form to tout a running book on a cycling news group, but "Once a Runner," by John
    L. Parker Jr. is widely regarded as the best running fiction ever written. Certain sections still
    give me chills after many readings, and have occasionally helped me to get out the door for a run on
    a cold, rainy evening. The book tells the tale of a college senior miler in the early 70's as he
    trains, races and lives the life of a college and elite athlete. Unfortunately, it's out of print,
    but you might try your public library or get it used (Amazon has it) if you've run out of cycling
    books or need to get motivated for winter cross-training.

    Jason Blank

  9. Tritonrider

    Tritonrider Guest

    Joe Kurmaskie's stuff is pretty good. Not racing, but amusing. Bill C

  10. "TritonRider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Joe Kurmaskie's stuff is pretty good. Not racing, but amusing. Bill C

    I agree. I read his, "Metal Cowboy" last month and found it well written, insightful and
    entertaining. He's certainly ridden his bicycle in a lot of interesting places.