Other forum follies

Bro Deal said:
LOL. If that douchebag had not unfairly banned me I might have considered dishing him a twenty. Now I hope his whole operation folds.

Too bad the dumbass that runs this site won't allow new posters so the forum could take advantage of the situation.
He probably only does it because he made a few grand the first time he tried it.

Crankyfeet said:
He probably only does it because he made a few grand the first time he tried it.
Ha...I said the same thing! I'm like 250 bucks?? :confused: Anybody who can afford to cycle can afford their forum rent. :rolleyes: Unless that's how you afford cycling...;)

Or Scientology "courses"

TheDarkLord said:
He probably hasn't met Jeff Vader here or in the Cult. He is easy fodder for Vader anyway. ;) But now we know where is he is spending his time.
The problem with that forum is that there is too much activity. A half hour after you post the thread is burried on page 3 because of all the threads discussing whether the dimpled 909s will make them faster than their current non-dimpled 909s.

Prediction - new rule coming at DPF to complement the "no doping discussion unless you're in the doping section" rule; soon there will be the "can't possibly mention any race results except in the specific race thread rule" so that those who haven't seen the race yet won't see the results before they watch it. Of course, you could just avoid the internet (particularly cycling forums) until you watch the race :rolleyes:.

Bro Deal said:
Was jimmypop banned on DPF? What for?
I've been banned there for some time. If you can search my posts there, then you'll see that I was highly disruptive and generally unruly. It's truly a bastion of rational, mature debate since my exile.

I don't put any concerted effort into arguing about professional cycling any more, because there are more Vaughn- and Steve in ATL-types in cycling than sane folks. Remember, DPF is the place that tolerates (and protects the identity of) posters like Ali (although, to someone's credit, I think Chris H was asked to take a vacation; incidentally, this is around the same time that the Ali sockpuppet began a prolific posting binge).

Also, Scientology. 'nuff said.

EDIT: It seems I'm not banned, but I can't reply to threads, or access the PM functions of the board.

jimmypop said:
I've been banned there for some time. If you can search my posts there, then you'll see that I was highly disruptive and generally unruly. It's truly a bastion of rational, mature debate since my exile.

I don't put any concerted effort into arguing about professional cycling any more, because there are more Vaughn- and Steve in ATL-types in cycling than sane folks. Remember, DPF is the place that tolerates (and protects the identity of) posters like Ali (although, to someone's credit, I think Chris H was asked to take a vacation; incidentally, this is around the same time that the Ali sockpuppet began a prolific posting binge).

Also, Scientology. 'nuff said.

EDIT: It seems I'm not banned, but I can't reply to threads, or access the PM functions of the board.
you know I'm always amazed to see that DPF is still alive and that folks are still posting there. youd think that the number of people of the ChrisH and SAL types would diminishing but...

I bring you the versus forum for your enjoyment:

Now that Astana and last year's #1 and #3 were excluded, and since ASO managed to get rid of the Italians that climb well, with some phantom test that no one in the scientific community knows exists, let alone not having validated it. Congrats, you Frogs!

Johan Bruyneel is absolutely awesome on the panel! His invaluable insights and professionalism actually seem to temporarily cancel-out Mr. Hummer's glaring inadequacies as an anchor. Bravo!

earth_dweller said:
I bring you the versus forum for your enjoyment:

Now that Astana and last year's #1 and #3 were excluded, and since ASO managed to get rid of the Italians that climb well, with some phantom test that no one in the scientific community knows exists, let alone not having validated it. Congrats, you Frogs!

Johan Bruyneel is absolutely awesome on the panel! His invaluable insights and professionalism actually seem to temporarily cancel-out Mr. Hummer's glaring inadequacies as an anchor. Bravo!

LOL! Yes...the Frogs are determined to have an Aussie win this year! :confused:

cynic said:
Does anyone know if Armstrong and McConaughey are still dating? I haven't seen any pictures of them frolicking on a beach together recently.
Sure. They're virtually joined at the..errr...hip.

For those of you who are fond of ChrisH over at DPF (I know TFF is a big fan), you might be interested to know of a thread over there. It began as something about swimming, but evolved quickly into a 'which Olympic sports should be cut?' thread.

ChrisH began harmlessly enough, simply suggesting that those who thought beach volleyball should be cut needed a lobotomy. Interested others should read the thread; it is a fascinating insight into this fellow.

What prompts me to write this is that 'option' at DPF, a member here also, called him out personally for being gratuitously offensive throughout the thread (in addition to his chauvinism and triumphalism) and giving him some advice that it wasn't a good idea, particularly from a moderator.

That post has, without warning, explanation or evidence of its earlier existence, 'disappeared', or to use ChrisH language, is no longer visible to forum members.

I'm saying this here because God knows what would happen if I said it over there. It staggers me that he holds the position he does.

edit: couldn't quite help myself.

Actually, I can tell you what happens.

I wrote a post that said words to the the following effect:

'I could have sworn that option wrote another post in this thread. Now, like a picture of Trotsky, it's as if it had never existed. Maybe I was imagining things. Maybe ChrisH deleted/made it invisible to forum members. Maybe... Nah, I must have been imagining things.'

ChrisH just deleted my post too. I know he did, because he was tagged as reading the thread and then flash!-like Keyser Soze, it was gone.

He's like a toddler stamping on ants.

Great post Drongo! (from DPF)

Drongo said:
I think the point that has sailed over your head <thinks... that means he's underwater, scuba-diving, perhaps>, is that there is joy in life, and value in games, that do not fit your world view. Just because you or your kith and kin don't play a certain game, or because you think it's a parlour game, does not mean that it is so. You were horrified to think that beach volleyball could be considered other than a serious endeavour, but are happy to blithely dismiss table tennis as if it were some kind of kids' game. Millions of people, indeed hundreds of millions, disagree with you.
Table tennis is not a major US sport, it appears. It has fans and detractors. I don't like the sport to watch but I respect immensely the incredible skills of its best competitors. You and some others, Chris, seem instead to speak from a position of callous ignorance about the sport--not knowing, not caring to know--and then affect a wounded air when people do the same to your favoured sport. You can criticise a sport, of course: just do a better job and recognise the inconsistency of your stance.
For mine, I think table tennis is a worthy Olympic sport, whereas I have my doubts about beach volleyball. It is not about whether I find each sport entertaining (neither is, in my opinion), but simply because one is much more widely played than the other. The debate about whether beach volleyball ought to monopolise TV screen time is a different one, and then aesthetics (of both sport and, inevitably, its competitors) might more validly be discussed.
That is why the references to rugby instead of American football were made. (Not because either is an Olympic sport; everyone knows that neither of them is.) It is simply that different sports have different perceptions in different countries. American football is played in Australia, laughingly badly by US professional standards. I would be foolish to judge Brett Favre or Emmett Smith or whoever by the sport as it is played in Australia; I don't. Likewise, what I think of as a turgid, 3-hour advertisement collection interposed by occasionally riveting play, most Americans enjoy immensely. You doubtless wouldn't like or couldn't understand rugby (along with, I must say, most Australians). I have another view. It is not God's truth, though, it's just my opinion, informed no doubt by my country of origin.
Your jokes and arguments, if they may generously be termed such, are insular and parochial. Expand your horizons a little.
edit: spelling/clarity

ChrisH wrote

"In my freshman year, the building would rock when Youngs, McPeak, and the other UCLA volleyball players"

This means the guy is in his 30's. I always pictured him as some 60 year old man who had cancer, like Vaughn, hence his blind devotion to all things Lance.

Ava Marie said:
ChrisH wrote

"In my freshman year, the building would rock when Youngs, McPeak, and the other UCLA volleyball players"

This means the guy is in his 30's. I always pictured him as some 60 year old man who had cancer, like Vaughn, hence his blind devotion to all things Lance.
I am surprised he has not been committed. Just the few PMs that TFF posted show he is a moron and almost irrational. I wonder if he ever considered a career in the Bush administration; he could be the Republican Lanny Davis.

What's with his return? Did he get kicked off of another cycling board for idiocy or did Vaughn tell it would be okey if he began moderating again?

What bugs me about ChrisH's behaviour on that thread is that he thinks that being a moderator entitles him to a free pass to insult others without consequence, and then censor and delete any criticism of him doing so. The moderation isn't for any rational reason other than to minimise his personal embarrassment. It's clearly an abuse of the role he's somehow obtained.

That he could be so self-delusional while censoring TFF's posts (that even Vaughan had allowed to pass through) is telling.

The situation was made more stark because he clearly didn't understand what my posts, and more particularly Drongo's, were actually saying. I might understand it if he couldn't fathom what I was saying, but Drongo is one of the betters writers I have read, so the deficiency clearly belongs in one place.

His insistent refusal to apply any form of self-reflection speaks of a reflexive refusal to consider criticism of himself - his first reaction is to stamp on criticism, rather than consider it and then react according to its merits. That speaks of a more pathological character flaw, for which I pity him. His journey in life will be unhappy, I warrant, because such a personality always needs an opponent against whom to react.