Other forum follies

confusedfan said:
rare skill indeed - particularly since the definition of "perjury" requires that one be sworn to tell the truth... :D someone on DPF now thinks they're judge and jury as well as a mod?
Judge, jury, prosecution, star (chamber) witness, and chief censor.

Only one more hat to match Edward de Bono.

Congratulations Bro. Only the fourth thread to go above 1000 posts in 7 years of the GT forum....
happy0159.gif

Drongo said:
Don't do it, Cranky. I have no objection to neologisms--Shakespeare invented hundreds of words, and whatever you think of his comedies he certainly had a gift for the language. However, there is such a thing as an ugly usage, no matter how novel, no matter how venerable. If 'perjurying' were a word, it should be taken out the back, tied blindfold to a pillar and shot until it became dead, dead, dead. Fortunately, it has never lived, and murder is thus unnecessary.
It was an amateur attempt at satire Drongo...

The guy's an absolute dicknuckle...
wink.gif

Drongo said:
Don't do it, Cranky. I have no objection to neologisms--Shakespeare invented hundreds of words, and whatever you think of his comedies he certainly had a gift for the language. However, there is such a thing as an ugly usage, no matter how novel, no matter how venerable. If 'perjurying' were a word, it should be taken out the back, tied blindfold to a pillar and shot until it became dead, dead, dead. Fortunately, it has never lived, and murder is thus unnecessary.

judge.jpg

Runitout said:

I don't know if this is telling people how to suck eggs, but I'll explain Runitout's post.

In the olden days in Britain and the Commonwealth, when a judge was about to sentence a prisoner 'to be hanged by the neck until you are dead', he would wear a bit of black cloth over his wig. The poor ******* in the dock would see that bit of cloth and know exactly what was coming.

[Edit: there's a Blackadder episode where the joke relies on the audience knowing this. Series 4, where the general is trying Blackadder for shooting his pigeon. He puts on the black cap before the start of the trial.]

Crankyfeet said:
It was an amateur attempt at satire Drongo...

The guy's an absolute dicknuckle...
wink.gif

No, my apologies, Cranky. I have been guilty of taking your posts at face value a few times now. You're too subtle and nuanced for me!

Drongo said:
I don't know if this is telling people how to suck eggs, but I'll explain Runitout's post.

In the olden days in Britain and the Commonwealth, when a judge was about to sentence a prisoner 'to be hanged by the neck until you are dead', he would wear a bit of black cloth over his wig. The poor ******* in the dock would see that bit of cloth and know exactly what was coming.

[Edit: there's a Blackadder episode where the joke relies on the audience knowing this. Series 4, where the general is trying Blackadder for shooting his pigeon. He puts on the black cap before the start of the trial.]
This is better than Wikipedia...
smile.gif

Drongo said:
No, my apologies, Cranky. I have been guilty of taking your posts at face value a few times now. You're too subtle and nuanced for me!
Or so unfunny that it is impossible to detect the attempt at humour...
tongue.gif

Drongo said:
I never got that. :eek: I've seen British shows where they use the cloth, but I never connected it with only being used for a death sentence.

What is it with the white wigs, which I think are still in use today? I'm glad we don't all have to dress like we just stepped off the Mayflower when we go to court.

Crankyfeet said:
This is better than Wikipedia...
smile.gif

Oh, and another thing...
It's called the black cap. That is why I cannot get used to the nickname of the New Zealand cricket team. It seems perverse.

Bro Deal said:
I never got that. :eek: I've seen British shows where they use the cloth, but I never connected it with only being used for a death sentence.

What is it with the white wigs, which I think are still in use today? I'm glad we don't all have to dress like we just stepped off the Mayflower when we go to court.

Someone can correct me if this is wrong, but they re-introduced wigs to some courts in Australia because violence against judges increased after they were abolished. I think the idea was as follows: wig and funny gear = the Law; suit and tie = some feller I disagree with and am going to beat up.

Drongo said:
Someone can correct me if this is wrong, but they re-introduced wigs to some courts in Australia because violence against judges increased after they were abolished. I think the idea was as follows: wig and funny gear = the Law; suit and tie = some feller I disagree with and am going to beat up.

You're dead-on.

There was a wave of violence against Family Court judges when they got rid of their wigs. They re-introduced them pretty quickly.

Runitout said:
You're dead-on.

There was a wave of violence against Family Court judges when they got rid of their wigs. They re-introduced them pretty quickly.
The Commonwealth is funny.

Australian court violence: The judges should wear wigs.
American court violence: We should give the judges body armor and guns.

Zombie movie in England: People have to defend themselves from the walking dead with cricket bats.
Zomebie movie in America: People reach under their beds, pull out their assault rifles, and say, "I knew something like this was going to happen. Lock and load."

We just got called "Saddo Spammers" in the "what gets up your nose" thread in the Coffe Lounge by Sheeponabike. I took the opportunity to explain our story a bit.

thoughtforfood said:
I just posted on that thread, and copied it over on justcycling. UNBELIEVABLE!

I think he is ****** that Steve un-hid my post, and made a comment about it. His wheels are coming off.
I don't find it that unbelievable that people like ChrisH exist, heck read the news. But what truly is mindboggling is that he was picked and kept as a moderator which to me means that the owner doesn't care if members are driven away. It makes no freakin sense.