General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Other "stuff" for a beginning kitchen

Started by jmcquown · · Last activity · 43 posts · 672 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
23 March 2006
Last activity
27 March 2006
Original author
jmcquown
Posts
43
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
672
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 43
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    jmcquown said:
    Michael 'Dog3' Lonergan said:

    OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email hidden]> hitched up their panties
    and posted
    news:[email hidden]:

    >
    > <lol> I do that with paper bags once in awhile...
    > I fold the edges back for two layers so it stays open better for
    > them to play in, but it's usually flat by the end of the day
    > anyway!
    >
    > Laser pointers are my favorite cat toy.

    LOL... around here it's boxes.


    What cat can resist a box or a bag?

    Jill

    None that I know of... ;-)

    Add baskets to that, and bowls.

    When I was on vacation and had the post office hold my mail, the accumulated
    mail was delivered in a plastic box. Of course as soon as I emptied out the
    box, Persia had to sit in it. I think it's written up somewhere in the cat
    handbook.

    http://tinyurl.com/mgny6

    Jill

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,

    jmcquown said:
    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    jmcquown said:

    Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
    > OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email hidden]> hitched up their panties
    > and posted
    > news:[email hidden]:
    >
    >>
    >> <lol> I do that with paper bags once in awhile...
    >> I fold the edges back for two layers so it stays open better for
    >> them to play in, but it's usually flat by the end of the day
    >> anyway!
    >>
    >> Laser pointers are my favorite cat toy.
    >
    > LOL... around here it's boxes.
    >
    What cat can resist a box or a bag?

    Jill

    None that I know of... ;-)

    Add baskets to that, and bowls.

    When I was on vacation and had the post office hold my mail, the accumulated
    mail was delivered in a plastic box. Of course as soon as I emptied out the
    box, Persia had to sit in it. I think it's written up somewhere in the cat
    handbook.

    http://tinyurl.com/mgny6

    Jill

    A box shall not remain unoccupied for any more than 5 seconds..... ;-)
    --
    Peace, Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  3. OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    kilikini said:

    "Default User" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    jmcquown wrote:

    I'm surprised. Here they still offer paper bags at the major
    supermarkets, although Schnucks has gone from asking, "paper or
    plastic?" to "is plastic ok?" They still have the bags though.

    I usually request double paper, because those can be packed full and
    reduce the trips from garage to kitchen, plus they make better trash
    can liners.

    And they make for entertaining cat toys, too. :~)

    kili

    <lol> I do that with paper bags once in awhile...
    I fold the edges back for two layers so it stays open better for them
    to play in, but it's usually flat by the end of the day anyway!

    Laser pointers are my favorite cat toy.

    I've had to hide the laser pointer. It has a chain attached so any time
    Persia hears anything resembling that rattly chain sound she's "Where's the
    dot? Where's the dot?!"

    This toy would be great, really fantastic! if you didn't have to hold down
    the button. My finger can't take holding down that button for 5 minutes.
    Really poor design if you ask me.

    Jill

  4. Jen said:

    I don't think anyone would blame you. I thought she made a pretty sill
    reply too. She mustn't have read the whole thread. I think you've had
    great ideas.

    In defense of civility, the poster did raise (rather badly and, to be
    sure, offensively) the question of what is considered "basic" kitchen
    equipment.

    For example...consider the kitchen utensil sets. Most of us are far
    past the point where we find them useful, but if you look at them...do
    you find yourself thinking "Hey, most of that stuff is useless" (and/or
    "But it doesn't include X"😉. I use a potato masher rather often, so
    I'd say it's one of the kitchen essentials, but you'll rarely (if ever)
    find it in the "kitchen utensil" sets. I also find the mouli-type
    rotary graters extremely useful.

    In the "never too many" category, I'd include: cutting boards,
    measuring cups (2- and 4-cup measures especially), and pie plates.

    Jeffs

  5. jmcquown said:

    I've had to hide the laser pointer. It has a chain attached so any time
    Persia hears anything resembling that rattly chain sound she's "Where's the
    dot? Where's the dot?!"

    I used to think that laser pointers were good cat toys. Then I
    discovered that my 80 lb very athletic Australian Shepherd also likes
    to chase laser dots. That's a lot more fun, and it's one of the
    easier ways to tire him out (he'll chase the thing at a full sprint up
    and down the road until he'll falling down tired)

    --
    Richard W Kaszeta
    [email hidden]
    http://www.kaszeta.org/rich

  6. "Richard Kaszeta" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    jmcquown said:

    I've had to hide the laser pointer. It has a chain attached so any time
    Persia hears anything resembling that rattly chain sound she's "Where's
    the
    dot? Where's the dot?!"

    I used to think that laser pointers were good cat toys. Then I
    discovered that my 80 lb very athletic Australian Shepherd also likes
    to chase laser dots. That's a lot more fun, and it's one of the
    easier ways to tire him out (he'll chase the thing at a full sprint up
    and down the road until he'll falling down tired)

    My dog does that with the frisbee, she just doesn't know when to stop.
    What's a laser pointer. Our cats aren't huge players, they're a little
    lazy, maybe one of these would get them going.

    Jen

  7. On Fri 24 Mar 2006 10:44:36p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Jen?

    Quoted message said:


    "Richard Kaszeta" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    jmcquown said:

    I've had to hide the laser pointer. It has a chain attached so any
    time Persia hears anything resembling that rattly chain sound she's
    "Where's the dot? Where's the dot?!"

    I used to think that laser pointers were good cat toys. Then I
    discovered that my 80 lb very athletic Australian Shepherd also likes
    to chase laser dots. That's a lot more fun, and it's one of the
    easier ways to tire him out (he'll chase the thing at a full sprint up
    and down the road until he'll falling down tired)

    My dog does that with the frisbee, she just doesn't know when to stop.
    What's a laser pointer. Our cats aren't huge players, they're a little
    lazy, maybe one of these would get them going.

    Hi Jen. We have 5 cats and they just go crazy with the laser pointer.
    Here's one example.

    http://www.willasark.com/laser.cfm

    --
    Wayne Boatwright @¿@¬
    _____________________

  8. On 24 Mar 2006 23:18:30 -0600, Richard Kaszeta <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:
    jmcquown said:

    I've had to hide the laser pointer. It has a chain attached so any time
    Persia hears anything resembling that rattly chain sound she's "Where's the
    dot? Where's the dot?!"

    I used to think that laser pointers were good cat toys. Then I
    discovered that my 80 lb very athletic Australian Shepherd also likes
    to chase laser dots. That's a lot more fun, and it's one of the
    easier ways to tire him out (he'll chase the thing at a full sprint up
    and down the road until he'll falling down tired)

    Chase likes to chase Kira. I use the laser pointer to exercise the
    demons out of him. When he's panting, I've done my job 🙂

    --
    Meghan & the Zoo Crew
    Equine and Pet Photography
    http://www.zoocrewphoto.com

  9. "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "kilikini" <[email hidden]> hitched up their panties and
    posted news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:


    "Default User" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    jmcquown wrote:

    I'm surprised. Here they still offer paper bags at the major
    supermarkets, although Schnucks has gone from asking, "paper or
    plastic?" to "is plastic ok?" They still have the bags though.

    I usually request double paper, because those can be packed full and
    reduce the trips from garage to kitchen, plus they make better trash
    can liners.

    And they make for entertaining cat toys, too. :~)

    kili

    Ya' want another cat 😉 Just kidding but Ramsey has become a total
    handfull. He is into *everything* and likes to hang off the ceiling in


    the

    Quoted message said:

    kitchen and scare the [censored] out me or Steven. His favorite hide out is on
    top of the drapes in the den. Wonder what he'll do when I finally go to
    wood blinds in that room.

    I posted the little game he and Missy had going with the bacon. Brats...
    all 3 of them and I can't imagine life without them 😉

    Michael

    Tyrone is like that; I listen for the crashes and I already know who's
    involved. Another clue is to see his black body race by just seconds after
    I hear sounds of destruction. Oh! Just the other day I caught this cat
    swinging from the 3-tier hanging basket thing I use in the kitchen to hold
    onions and garlic. Thank God, TFM has it anchored in the ceiling really
    well. Sigh. I keep waiting for him to grow up and relax.

    kili

  10. Jeffs/Etc. said:
    Jen said:

    I don't think anyone would blame you. I thought she made a pretty
    sill reply too. She mustn't have read the whole thread. I think
    you've had great ideas.

    In defense of civility, the poster did raise (rather badly and, to be
    sure, offensively) the question of what is considered "basic" kitchen
    equipment.

    For example...consider the kitchen utensil sets. Most of us are far
    past the point where we find them useful, but if you look at them...do
    you find yourself thinking "Hey, most of that stuff is useless"
    (and/or "But it doesn't include X"😉. I use a potato masher rather
    often, so
    I'd say it's one of the kitchen essentials, but you'll rarely (if
    ever) find it in the "kitchen utensil" sets. I also find the
    mouli-type rotary graters extremely useful.

    In the "never too many" category, I'd include: cutting boards,
    measuring cups (2- and 4-cup measures especially), and pie plates.

    Jeffs

    But I did state in my post it wasn't about kitchen equipment. We've already
    done that thread this week, thanks. Not about plates, knives and forks,
    just about stuff people don't think about when setting up house then find
    out they have a need for.

  11. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Richard Kaszeta said:
    jmcquown said:

    I've had to hide the laser pointer. It has a chain attached so any time
    Persia hears anything resembling that rattly chain sound she's "Where's the
    dot? Where's the dot?!"

    I used to think that laser pointers were good cat toys. Then I
    discovered that my 80 lb very athletic Australian Shepherd also likes
    to chase laser dots. That's a lot more fun, and it's one of the
    easier ways to tire him out (he'll chase the thing at a full sprint up
    and down the road until he'll falling down tired)

    Hmmmmmm.... Might have to try that on the border collie.
    --
    Peace, Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  12. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Jen said:

    "Richard Kaszeta" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    jmcquown said:

    I've had to hide the laser pointer. It has a chain attached so any time
    Persia hears anything resembling that rattly chain sound she's "Where's
    the
    dot? Where's the dot?!"

    I used to think that laser pointers were good cat toys. Then I
    discovered that my 80 lb very athletic Australian Shepherd also likes
    to chase laser dots. That's a lot more fun, and it's one of the
    easier ways to tire him out (he'll chase the thing at a full sprint up
    and down the road until he'll falling down tired)

    My dog does that with the frisbee, she just doesn't know when to stop.
    What's a laser pointer. Our cats aren't huge players, they're a little
    lazy, maybe one of these would get them going.

    Jen

    I've had 6 or 7 cats chase the dot all at one time. It's hilarious!
    Some of them will leap up and attempt to chase it right up the wall.
    --
    Peace, Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  13. "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Jen said:

    "Richard Kaszeta" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> writes:
    > I've had to hide the laser pointer. It has a chain attached so any


    time

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > Persia hears anything resembling that rattly chain sound she's


    "Where's

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    > the
    > dot? Where's the dot?!"

    I used to think that laser pointers were good cat toys. Then I
    discovered that my 80 lb very athletic Australian Shepherd also likes
    to chase laser dots. That's a lot more fun, and it's one of the
    easier ways to tire him out (he'll chase the thing at a full sprint up
    and down the road until he'll falling down tired)

    My dog does that with the frisbee, she just doesn't know when to stop.
    What's a laser pointer. Our cats aren't huge players, they're a little
    lazy, maybe one of these would get them going.

    Jen

    I've had 6 or 7 cats chase the dot all at one time. It's hilarious!
    Some of them will leap up and attempt to chase it right up the wall.
    --

    Mine do that too! It's amazing how high they can jump.

    kili

  14. In article <[email hidden]>,

    kilikini said:

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Jen said:

    "Richard Kaszeta" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...
    > "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> writes:
    >> I've had to hide the laser pointer. It has a chain attached so any


    time

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >> Persia hears anything resembling that rattly chain sound she's


    "Where's

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    >> the
    >> dot? Where's the dot?!"
    >
    > I used to think that laser pointers were good cat toys. Then I
    > discovered that my 80 lb very athletic Australian Shepherd also likes
    > to chase laser dots. That's a lot more fun, and it's one of the
    > easier ways to tire him out (he'll chase the thing at a full sprint up
    > and down the road until he'll falling down tired)

    My dog does that with the frisbee, she just doesn't know when to stop.
    What's a laser pointer. Our cats aren't huge players, they're a little
    lazy, maybe one of these would get them going.

    Jen

    I've had 6 or 7 cats chase the dot all at one time. It's hilarious!
    Some of them will leap up and attempt to chase it right up the wall.
    --

    Mine do that too! It's amazing how high they can jump.

    kili

    And funny as hell IMHO. ;-)
    Laughing is good exercize!
    --
    Peace, Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  15. "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    And funny as hell IMHO. ;-)
    Laughing is good exercize!

    I'll definitely have to look for one.

    Jen

  16. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Jen said:

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    And funny as hell IMHO. ;-)
    Laughing is good exercize!

    I'll definitely have to look for one.

    Jen

    You won't regret it. ;-)

    Don't pay more than $6.00 for a small one.

    And get extra batteries!

    http://budk.com/search.asp?t=ss&ss=laser
    --
    Peace, Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  17. jmcquown said:

    But I did state in my post it wasn't about kitchen equipment. We've already
    done that thread this week, thanks. Not about plates, knives and forks,
    just about stuff people don't think about when setting up house then find
    out they have a need for.

    Well, I've worked in a deli for 16 years now, so I tend to wear gloves
    when handling raw meat, even at home.

    If I'm doing a bunch of cooking, I will bring in a card table and set
    it up. There just isn't enough counter space to hold my bowls and
    things, especially if I am working on more than one meal.

    If not already there, I would say a smoke detector as well.

    --
    Meghan & the Zoo Crew
    Equine and Pet Photography
    http://www.zoocrewphoto.com

  18. jmcquown said:


    When I was on vacation and had the post office hold my mail, the accumulated
    mail was delivered in a plastic box. Of course as soon as I emptied out the
    box, Persia had to sit in it. I think it's written up somewhere in the cat
    handbook.

    Yes. It has to be.

    Jay Jay loves boxes that have holes where he can stick his paws out. I
    found a nice box for bell peppers that is comfy for a 16 lb cat and
    has big holes for him to fit his thick legs out. He loves it.
    Definitely his favorite toy.

    He also loves the box that holds garbage bags. He found that, removed
    all the garbage bags for me, and then destroyed the box. One day, I
    came home to find a soft cat toy, impaled through that box.

    I really need a video camera.

    --
    Meghan & the Zoo Crew
    Equine and Pet Photography
    http://www.zoocrewphoto.com

  19. Meghan Noecker said:
    jmcquown said:

    But I did state in my post it wasn't about kitchen equipment. We've
    already done that thread this week, thanks. Not about plates,
    knives and forks, just about stuff people don't think about when
    setting up house then find out they have a need for.

    Well, I've worked in a deli for 16 years now, so I tend to wear gloves
    when handling raw meat, even at home.

    If I'm doing a bunch of cooking, I will bring in a card table and set
    it up. There just isn't enough counter space to hold my bowls and
    things, especially if I am working on more than one meal.

    If not already there, I would say a smoke detector as well.

    Yeah, I use mine as a timer. KIDDING! Forgot to mention in my list of
    other stuff a kitchen timer 🙂

  20. Meghan Noecker said:
    jmcquown said:


    When I was on vacation and had the post office hold my mail, the
    accumulated mail was delivered in a plastic box. Of course as soon
    as I emptied out the box, Persia had to sit in it. I think it's
    written up somewhere in the cat handbook.

    Yes. It has to be.

    Jay Jay loves boxes that have holes where he can stick his paws out. I
    found a nice box for bell peppers that is comfy for a 16 lb cat and
    has big holes for him to fit his thick legs out. He loves it.
    Definitely his favorite toy.

    He also loves the box that holds garbage bags. He found that, removed
    all the garbage bags for me, and then destroyed the box. One day, I
    came home to find a soft cat toy, impaled through that box.

    I really need a video camera.

    Don't waste your money; a cat won't sit still long enough, trust me. I have
    a hard enough time with just a digital camera!

    Jill

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.