Other users of the woods ;)

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Mr [email protected] \ -Lsqco, Mar 2, 2003.

  1. And on fr.rec.sport.vtt I found this

    "Dimanche en faisant notre sortie de VTT dans le domaine du rouet (un coin paume ou normalement on
    entend pas un bruit), au furt et a mesure de notre ascension sur la piste on entend des boum boum
    boum..... Ben oui, y avait une rave party en plein milieu de la foret domaniale du rouet."

    Anyone else who goes mountain biking come across this (in the UK)? I know when I used to go raving
    in woods (some years ago now!) one would often encounter cyclists passing through in the morning.
    [1] One good thing on the thread I saw is that the French ravers all cleared up the trash before
    packing up (as do the British ones usually).

    Incidentally if you reply may I suggest you are *not* too specific about locations, so you are not
    "grassing up" the ravers. Many are themselves cyclists; and are supportive of the woods being used
    for trail riding.

    Alex

    Tags:

  2. In news:[email protected], Mr [email protected] (2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms room 2]
    <[email protected]> typed:
    > And on fr.rec.sport.vtt I found this

    Missing footnote

    [1] And the crews that I used to go partying with were always courteous to cyclists. Don't be
    alarmed by what you see; the crews will let you pass and if you pass around the time that people
    are standing down they will instruct van drivers and rig loaders to to take care when moving
    equipment or vehicles. Watch out for jaywalking hippies though ;)

    Alex

  3. Andy

    Andy Guest

    "Mr [email protected] (2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms room 2]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In news:[email protected], Mr [email protected] (2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms room 2]
    > <[email protected]> typed:
    > > And on fr.rec.sport.vtt I found this
    >
    > Missing footnote
    >
    > [1] And the crews that I used to go partying with were always courteous to cyclists. Don't be
    > alarmed by what you see; the crews will let you pass
    and
    > if you pass around the time that people are standing down they will
    instruct
    > van drivers and rig loaders to to take care when moving equipment or vehicles. Watch out for
    > jaywalking hippies though ;)
    >
    > Alex

    I've stumbled across winding down raves in a railway tunnel in Somerset on my early morning runs a
    couple of times. I usually figure dancing is just as good exercise as running and more fun so I join
    in. Fab and groovy maaan!

    And there appeared to be one going on over the opposite side of the river Avon in Bristol from where
    I was this morning as it happens.

    Andy

  4. "Andy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Mr [email protected] (2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms room 2]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > In news:[email protected], Mr [email protected] (2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms room 2]
    > > <[email protected]> typed:
    > > > And on fr.rec.sport.vtt I found this
    > >
    > > Missing footnote
    > >
    > > [1] And the crews that I used to go partying with were always courteous
    > > cyclists. Don't be alarmed by what you see; the crews will let you pass
    > and
    > > if you pass around the time that people are standing down they will
    > instruct
    > > van drivers and rig loaders to to take care when moving equipment or vehicles. Watch out for
    > > jaywalking hippies though ;)
    > >
    > > Alex
    > >

    > I've stumbled across winding down raves in a railway tunnel in Somerset on my early morning runs a
    > couple of times. I usually figure dancing is just as good exercise as running and more fun so I
    > join in. Fab and groovy maaan!
    >
    > And there appeared to be one going on over the opposite side of the river Avon in Bristol from
    > where I was this morning as it happens.

    I've ridden through the next morning leftovers (lots of stoned/drunk people lying around mainly) up
    on the Berkshire downs (Ridgeway) a few times.

    Russ

  5. Dave

    Dave Guest

    "Mr [email protected] (2.3 zulu-alpha) [comms room 2]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > And on fr.rec.sport.vtt I found this
    >
    > "Dimanche en faisant notre sortie de VTT dans le domaine du rouet (un coin paume ou normalement on
    > entend pas un bruit), au furt et a mesure de notre ascension sur la piste on entend des boum boum
    > boum..... Ben oui, y avait une rave party en plein milieu de la foret domaniale du rouet."
    >
    > Anyone else who goes mountain biking come across this (in the UK)? I know when I used to go raving
    > in woods (some years ago now!) one would often encounter cyclists passing through in the morning.
    > [1] One good thing on
    the
    > thread I saw is that the French ravers all cleared up the trash before packing up (as do the
    > British ones usually).
    >
    > Incidentally if you reply may I suggest you are *not* too specific about locations, so you are not
    > "grassing up" the ravers. Many are themselves cyclists; and are supportive of the woods being used
    > for trail riding.
    >
    > Alex

    From my 7 years of attending them (...or was it 8...or 9...10 perhaps), I can safely say that,
    dependant upon particular flavour, cyclist lycra, especially dayglo and hi-viz vests, were very
    popular.....my last few years were spent at techno / deep house parties where the fashion was for
    more subdued dress, generally (or combats for the 'ardcore!!) cheers, Dave. (beat slut)

  6. In news:[email protected], russell pinder <[email protected]> typed:

    > I've ridden through the next morning leftovers (lots of stoned/drunk people lying around mainly)
    > up on the Berkshire downs (Ridgeway) a few times.
    >
    > Russ

    apologies for delay in replying; haven't been able to spend time on Usenet for a while due to other
    committments...

    This can't have been one of the Reading crews; or the party would still have been going! (Ah, those
    were the days ;)

    I'm not sure if you will meet as many this year, as the old bill are clamping down on thse parties.
    Last year they let most of them happen without massive police - *then* waited till the end of the
    season around September or so and went in heavy with horses, riot gear, baton-charges etc. A bit
    unfair IMO - very inconsistent approach if anything. Surely they should either "turn a blind eye"
    (given that the parties caused little disruption and were cleared up afterwards) or be "robust" at
    the *start* of the party season in Spring?

    Alex