other uses for cardamom?

[email protected] (Tanya Quinn) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [email protected] (-L.) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> > So, I bought a buttload of cardamom for a dessert I made last week (rava kassari). I'm thinking
> > I won't be using a whole lot of this stuff over the next year or so, unless I can conjure up
> > some good recipes. I don't want it to go to waste - it was pretty expensive. Any suggestions?
>
> What kind of cardamom do you have?

<snip>

Ground. Very fragrant and high-quality, I think!

> As an aside, I was planning on making some balti butter chicken at my parents in a smallish
> totally whitebread kinda town on Xmas eve, and had left my bag at home where I had my spices. I
> went into a large supermarket, and asked the guy in the bulk foods section if they had any
> cardamom pods. He's like Carda-WHAT?? like I was speaking some kinda of strange language :) So the
> dish didn't end up being so good minus a few key spices that I couldn't locate.

Bummer!

Again - thanks to all who responded - especially with recipes. :)

-L.

"Alan J. Flavell" <[email protected]> wrote

>>> reads "leh." As if anyone else cares.
>> Well, as the author i *do* care.
> Well then, my apologies for striding in with a comment about this, even though off-topic for the
> group...

Hi Alan. Nice to meet you again; obviously, you have the habit of googling for recent quotes to your
site. The same brought me here. Funny that we should have two times to converse about Hebrew
characters ;-)

>> I see a _lamed_ left of a _he_,
> indeed

That's reassuring for me.

> To get (small amounts of) rtl scripts to be presented "correctly" also on browsers which don't
> support rtl, the workaround seems to be to write the text the "wrong way around" (this will then
> appear visually to be the correct way around on browsers which don't support rtl), and in addition
> use <bdo dir=ltr> to overrule the inherent directionality of the rtl characters for browsers which
> would otherwise be trying to reverse the direction. However, I must stress that this is *not* a
> recommended technique, since it is likely to cause the strings to be indexed back-to-front by
> search engines and the like.

You state your point clearly enough. I will not try this abomination, but encourage people to update
their browser instead. Not everything broken can be fixed (at reasonable price).

> You can find a few notes about this on my page http://ppewww.ph.gla.ac.uk/~flavell/charset/text-
> direction.html

Taking the opportunity, I have to thank you a lot for your web pages that, some time ago, tought me
lots about character representation and enabled me to author functional multilingual HTML pages.

Best wishes,

--
Gernot Anharmonic Thermochemistry: http://bthec11.kfunigraz.ac.at/~katzer Everything about Herbs &
Spices: http://www-ang.kfunigraz.ac.at/~katzer/engl Alles ueber Kraeuter & Gewuerze: http://www-

On Sun, 1 Feb 2004, Gernot Katzer wrote:

> Hi Alan. Nice to meet you again; obviously, you have the habit of googling for recent quotes to
> your site.

(muss ich zugeben, ja...)

> The same brought me here. Funny that we should have two times to converse about Hebrew
> characters ;-)

An odd co-incidence, indeed...

> >> I see a _lamed_ left of a _he_,
> > indeed
>
> That's reassuring for me.

[..]

> Taking the opportunity, I have to thank you a lot for your web pages

bittesehr, glad to share what I can ;-)

all the best

I wanted to locate some cardamon for an Ethiopian recipe I had, dropped by my local grocer, and
couldn't even find any. But then, I also could not find peanut oil or sesame oil either - wow, I'm
feeling really deprived here in central Ohio...

Anyways, anyone know of a chain of groceries which commonly will have cardamon?
--
this posting should be construed as representing my employer's opinions. <URL:
mailto:[email protected] > <URL: http://www.purl.org/NET/lvirden/

On 5 Feb 2004 16:54:35 GMT, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:

> I wanted to locate some cardamon for an Ethiopian recipe I had, dropped by my local grocer, and
> couldn't even find any. But then, I also could not find peanut oil or sesame oil either - wow, I'm
> feeling really deprived here in central Ohio...
>
> Anyways, anyone know of a chain of groceries which commonly will have cardamon?

Where in central Ohio are you? If you get to Columbus much, there's a Penzey's there and
they sell all sorts of herbs and spices (including white, green, black, seeds only and
ground cardamom).

Penzeys 4455 Kenny Rd. Mon-Fri: 9:30am-5:30pm Sat: 9:30am-5pm closed Sunday

I seem to recall most grocery chains at least carrying ground cardamom (peanut oil, too), but
if not, look for an Indian grocery. They should carry it as well. Columbus has quite a few
Asian and international groceries along High St. and elsewhere, I'm sure. There's also a good
Ethiopian place on High St. called the Blue Nile. Highly recommended.

Ariane

On 5 Feb 2004 16:54:35 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

>I wanted to locate some cardamon for an Ethiopian recipe I had, dropped by my local grocer, and
>couldn't even find any. But then, I also could not find peanut oil or sesame oil either - wow, I'm
>feeling really deprived here in central Ohio...
>
>Anyways, anyone know of a chain of groceries which commonly will have cardamon?

An indian grocer will always have cardamom.

-sw

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] wrote:

> I wanted to locate some cardamon for an Ethiopian recipe I had, dropped by my local grocer, and
> couldn't even find any. But then, I also could not find peanut oil or sesame oil either - wow, I'm
> feeling really deprived here in central Ohio...
>
> Anyways, anyone know of a chain of groceries which commonly will have cardamon?

I buy it at a local food co-op. I can buy a tablespoon and know that it's probably pretty fresh --
certainly fresher than if I bought a jar of it from the supermarket--that would take years to use.
What form are you looking for, how much do you need, and would you like me to pick some up for you
and send it? Penzeys (penzeys.com) and other online spice purveyors sell it, too.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 1-31-04 A good friend will come and bail you out of jail; a
true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn,that was fun!"

On 5 Feb 2004 16:54:35 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

>I wanted to locate some cardamon for an Ethiopian recipe I had, dropped by my local grocer, and
>couldn't even find any. But then, I also could not find peanut oil or sesame oil either - wow, I'm
>feeling really deprived here in central Ohio...

Deprived? Let me tell you about deprived... :)

Cardomom is kind of a specialty spice. If you have access to an oriental mkt, you might check there.
I got some *super* fresh seeds at a short-lived 'natural foods' store. Of course, you can Google and
mail-order.

Peanut oil? No 'Duke's'? Cheap and widely available in Virginia. Check your supermarket's cooking
oil area. It's not a special flavor -- just an oil with a relatively high smoke point. Sesame oil
(the toasted flavoring kind, not the frying sort) is available in oriental mkts and, usually, that
little "Chinese food" section in the supermarket.

My Favorite Dressing:

1/4 cup veg oil 3 Tblsp rice vinegar [original calls for 2 Tblsp sugar -- I use maybe 1/2 tsp] 1
Tblsp sesame oil 1 tsp salt [I omit salt]
2/2 tsp black pepper [I add maybe 1/8th tsp Thai chili flakes]

I use this on shredded cabbage, and with a salad of lots of chopped up lettuce, some chopped cooked
chicken and chopped green oinions. Also add toasted sesame seeds to the finished product.

On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 21:11:48 GMT, Frogleg
<[email protected]> wrote:

> My Favorite Dressing:
>
> 1/4 cup veg oil 3 Tblsp rice vinegar [original calls for 2 Tblsp sugar -- I use maybe 1/2 tsp] 1
> Tblsp sesame oil 1 tsp salt [I omit salt]
> 1/2 tsp black pepper [I add maybe 1/8th tsp Thai chili flakes]
>
> I use this on shredded cabbage, and with a salad of lots of chopped up lettuce, some chopped
> cooked chicken and chopped green oinions. Also add toasted sesame seeds to the finished product.

My son makes a similar dressing for shredded cabbage salad... without chicken, of course and no Thai
chili flakes to my knowledge.

On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 22:24:55 GMT, sf <[email protected]> wrote:

>On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 21:11:48 GMT, Frogleg <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>> My Favorite Dressing:

>My son makes a similar dressing for shredded cabbage salad... without chicken, of course and no
>Thai chili flakes to my knowledge.

I realized looking over previous post I had not made it clear that shredded cabbage with this
dressing was one dish; chicken salad with lettuce and green onion was another one. No, I *don't* add
chopped chicken to shredded cabbage. Although...a Thai (Hawaiian restaurant) cookbook I have uses
shredded cabbage instead of rice or noodles as a base for several dishes.

> I wanted to locate some cardamon for an Ethiopian recipe I had, dropped by my local grocer, and
> couldn't even find any. But then, I also could not find peanut oil or sesame oil either - wow, I'm
> feeling really deprived here in central Ohio...
>
> Anyways, anyone know of a chain of groceries which commonly will have cardamon?
> --
> this posting should be construed as representing my employer's opinions. <URL:
> mailto:[email protected] > <URL: http://www.purl.org/NET/lvirden/ >

It is a common spice in Indian cuisine. Perhaps you have a specialty store that sells Indian
ingredients. If all else fails, I can send you a bottle of cardamom pods.

Fred The Good Gourmet http://www.thegoodgourmet.com

On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 12:48:56 GMT, Frogleg
<[email protected]> wrote:

> On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 22:24:55 GMT, sf <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 21:11:48 GMT, Frogleg <[email protected]> wrote:
> >

> >> My Favorite Dressing:
>
> >My son makes a similar dressing for shredded cabbage salad... without chicken, of course and no
> >Thai chili flakes to my knowledge.
>
> I realized looking over previous post I had not made it clear that shredded cabbage with this
> dressing was one dish; chicken salad with lettuce and green onion was another one. No, I *don't*
> add chopped chicken to shredded cabbage. Although...a Thai (Hawaiian restaurant) cookbook I have
> uses shredded cabbage instead of rice or noodles as a base for several dishes.

<smile> I reread your post as I saved it to my recipe file AND realized at that point, that you were
talking about two completely different salads.

Sorry.