Ottawa unicyclists, READ THIS!

Discussion in 'rec.sport.unicycling' started by Eroick, Feb 5, 2006.

  1. Eroick

    Eroick Guest

    Ok guys, I think we should start a club. I don't believe that this has
    been done in Ottawa yet. If it has, correct me!

    I think that we should just start out by getting each others email
    addresses. So, if you live in Ottawa and are interested, send me an
    email at eevench[AT]gmail[DOT]com (yes, of course you will have to
    replace the [AT] with an @ and [DOT] with .)

    Please include the following information:
    Name (at least first name and last initial)
    Age
    Location (by area in Ottawa or nearest landmark. Im between Bayshore
    and Carlingwood. Lincoln Fields would be the closest shopping
    centre...)
    Unicycle ability (use this scale: 1 = beginner, cant ride steadly. 2 =
    can ride for long distances, mount, do the basics. 3 = can do more than
    the basics. 4 = wow.)
    Anything else.

    I want to see how many people are interested. The idea would be to have
    a club for people to meet and unicycle together. This is open to anyone
    in or around Ottawa! Even total beginners or anyone who thinks they
    might want to learn.

    So, if you're interested send me an email! Hopefully this will fly!

    --
    Eroick
    Eroick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10884

  2. Eroick

    Eroick Guest

    Yes, Im aware of that club. But I think that we need another one. Why? I
    think that circus style unicycling is for some people, but others want
    to do trials, Muni and freestyle. Some people just want to get on one
    wheel! The purpose would be to promote and get people involved with
    unicycling as well as a means to get unicyclists together. Even if
    there is only a handfull of us in ottawa, we can still have fun! And
    maybe we can even get more people involved.

    --
    Eroick
    Eroick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10884

  3. ntappin

    ntappin Guest

    I think you should go there because they aren't a circus, many of the
    people that go there are just unicyclists, I went there last sunday and
    there were about five people counting myself that were there as
    unicyclists. I wouldn't quite say that its more a unicycle club than a
    juggling/unicyclist club but it sure is getting close. Anyways, like I
    said I would probably still probably participate. But I'm just saying
    that there are other clubs out there, plus the NPJ offer an indoor
    venue to use during the winter months.

    --
    ntappin

  4. well,
    I'm down for a club of sorts, as long as it's near downtown ottawa.
    Basically anytime i'll go for rides with people, but due to a lack of
    car and funds, transportation is limited. But if you want to ride
    trials, why would you go anywhere but downtown??
    As far a location, i'm at u of o.

    -Ryan

    --
    m_extreme_uni

    "Yeah, Gravity is bad" Leo Kottke
    m_extreme_uni's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/809

  5. Eroick

    Eroick Guest

    Agreed. Downtown is a really good place to meet because:
    a) Lots of stuff for trials, like you said.
    b) Many people live there, buses get there really fast. Great
    accessability.

    But, for Muni we clearly could not go downtown! Camp Fortune is a good
    place for it, as well as Kanata Lakes. There are also some nice trails
    around different parts of the city that I have found.

    Hopefully we can get lots of people into this. Im sure that there are
    many more unicyclists in Ottawa who aren't on this forum. If you know
    any, refer them!

    --
    Eroick
    Eroick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10884

  6. ntappin

    ntappin Guest

    Unfortunatly for muni there aren't many places that are accessible for
    most people. The only place I know of that isnt bad and is busable is
    around the sportsplex.

    But yeah downtown is definatly the best place for trials.

    The skatepark at algonquin is a pretty sweet place to ride.

    How much riding do you do during the winter Ryan? I went downtown a
    couple weeks ago while the weather was pretty nice and I found
    everything around Ottawa U. was still pretty icy and the same pretty
    much everywhere.
    I rode around algonquin recently and it was pretty much the same
    although last weekend was really nice.

    --
    ntappin

  7. Eroick

    Eroick Guest

    Yes, access to Muni trails is hard because you wont find them in the
    city! We do have some good trails around Ottawa though. Fortune is
    farther, and requires a car to access. Same with Kanata. Im not even
    sure if these places want unicyclists riding on their trails, but I
    think they could be convinced (after all, we DO have better handling
    than bikes in some senses. But once again, downtown is good for trials.
    Also, we can't we just RIDE also?

    I know someone who is deeply involved with the Mountain Biking
    community around here. In fact, she is my next door neighbour. Some of
    you may know her, her name is Dominique Laroque. She knows all there is
    to know about trails around here, so I could probably get lots of info
    from her.

    --
    Eroick
    Eroick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10884

  8. Victory

    Victory Guest

    ntappin wrote:
    > , I went there last sunday and there were about five people counting
    > myself that were there as unicyclists.

    wow I didn't realize they got together during the winter also... I'll
    have to send carl an email for the details (unless he reads this)

    My brother and I are in the Cornwall area and are interested in meeting
    up with ppl in Ottawa... I can't say we'd take the hike every week but
    at least once a month. Eroick according to your scale my brother would
    be a 2 and I'd be a 3. (I'd like to say 4 but I'm nowhere near ryan's
    caliber)

    I'd be great to ride with a kris holm factory rider... congratulations
    ryan, after seeing yr video's I can see why you were picked.

    --
    Victory
    Victory's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10062

  9. Eroick

    Eroick Guest

    Great! Another person interested! Well, maybe two :).

    So, we need to think of how to advertise. Maybe bike shops that sell
    unis (and even some that don't) could help out. Another way to
    advertise would be by just riding around. I have had many people ask me
    about unis when I ride.

    If anyone has idea for advertising, let me have it!

    --
    Eroick
    Eroick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10884

  10. Victory

    Victory Guest

    I agree with nathan though that being there is a current group that has
    regular get togethers why start another... I'm up for anything but it's
    always better to have one large group than two small groups that fade
    away...

    --
    Victory
    Victory's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10062

  11. Eroick

    Eroick Guest

    Victory wrote:
    > I agree with nathan though that being there is a current group that has
    > regular get togethers why start another...

    I still think its worth a shot. No harm in trying. The Nanaimo Park
    Jugglers has a real focus on juggling.

    It may go nowhere, it may work, ether way it's worth a try!

    --
    Eroick
    Eroick's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/10884

  12. Ottawa Dave

    Ottawa Dave Guest

    Hi guys,
    There are more unicyclists in Ottawa than you can shake a stick at. I'm
    up for another club, that sounds great.
    Don't forget about the Ottawa unicycle invasion that takes place in the
    spring. It's a two day trials and muni comp.
    This town rocks for muni, have you ever ridden at Camp Fortune or
    Kanata lakes?
    I'm 35 and ride muni and 29er on the road. I'm liveing near the Bay
    Shore mall.

    Cheers Dave

    --
    Ottawa Dave
    Ottawa Dave's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/7959

  13. hagbag14

    hagbag14 Guest

    hey guys club sounds good to me but i live in kingston and would have to
    discuss this with beener but i think we could come every month maybe
    along with victory and his brother.

    --
    hagbag14

    swear? fish? what the $#%@?
    hagbag14's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11068

  14. ntappin

    ntappin Guest

    Well there are six of us at Merivale counting myself, I don't know how
    many would come out for a meet but I'm sure most if not all of us would
    come out to the first one at least.

    The only problem with this that I can see at the moment is finding a
    place to do it during the winter. I'm not afraid to be outside but it
    would be nice to find somewhere relatively dry or ice free.

    For the summer maybe we could do a weekly meet somewhere different each
    week, like a trials meet downtown every other week and then a muni meet
    up somewhere in the inbetween weeks, then when it is raining or
    something we could find somewhere to go that is dry for some
    freestyle/trials.

    --
    ntappin

  15. swarbrim

    swarbrim Guest

    Victory wrote:

    > My brother and I are in the Cornwall area and are interested in meeting
    > up with ppl in Ottawa... I can't say we'd take the hike every week but
    > at least once a month. Eroick according to your scale my brother would
    > be a 2 and I'd be a 3. (I'd like to say 4 but I'm nowhere near ryan's
    > caliber)

    Wow you are gonnna go from cornwall to ontario. Are you goin on
    holiday.

    Mike

    [edit] I didnt see it was Canada I thought it was England, my mistake.
    I was gonna ask for a list.

    --
    swarbrim

    :D add me at [email protected]
    swarbrim's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/11005

  16. karl

    karl Guest

    hey,
    I'm one of the members of the club. My dad actually runs it.
    Its not really a circus and the name in deceiving...because there is
    actually quite alot of unicycling that goes on. In the winter is a
    pretty decent room to ride in but can get a little crowded. If you drop
    by give us your e-mail and we'll put in on the list because we
    routinely go out for rides on the weekends whenever possible.

    In the summer we go outside where there is a park that has a few
    different trials obstacles. It runs on wed. 7pm-10pm and on sundays
    from 3pm-5pm. There is more information at www.carlroth.net

    There is also a club at Uplands Base that is held in a School gym.

    Another club is always better though!

    -Karl

    --
    karl
    karl's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/5058

  17. hecklar

    hecklar Guest

    Yeah, the NPJ is completely open. You can do whatever you wish there.
    And, since about 90% of the people who attend also ride unis, you're
    always in good company if you uni.

    Personal garbage: I'm 25, liv downtown off Rideau (about 8 blocks from
    Ryan), i ride street, but not all that well: 4-set jumps, small ledge
    grinds, 180s, stuff like that. I'm up for riding anytime when it's
    nice out, so you'll always have me and Ryan to ride with if you come
    downtown. We are the only 2 downtown residents that i know of who ride
    though. You see others here and there, but very rarely. Most of the
    other guys are willing to come downtown though, if given notice.

    --
    hecklar
    hecklar's Profile: http://www.unicyclist.com/profile/6917

  18. evil-nick

    evil-nick Guest

    The more the merrier... I don't live near Ottawa, but my mother-in-law
    does, and I'll be applying at U of O for grad school most likely ;)

    --
    evil-nick

    Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total
    obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and
    through me. And when it has gone past, I will turn the inner eye to see
    its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will
    remain.

    * Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear.

    I'm late for checkers with the Dalai Lama!

    My gallery:
    http://evil.linuxfreak.ca/uni.html
    Our Club:
    http://cs.ubishops.ca/~buuc/