otterbox gps protection

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by John, Mar 9, 2004.

  1. John

    John Guest

    Greetings,

    I have a Garmin ique 3600 PDA/GPS unit. I would like to
    mount this on my Haluzak Horizon as I would like to start
    getting into some of the brevets scheduled for this summer.
    Does anyone have experience with otterbox products such as
    the Armor 3600? www.otterbox.com

    Thanks in advance,

    John

    Tags:

  2. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > Greetings,
    >
    > I have a Garmin ique 3600 PDA/GPS unit. I would like to
    > mount this on my Haluzak Horizon as I would like to start
    > getting into some of the brevets scheduled for this
    > summer. Does anyone have experience with otterbox products
    > such as the Armor 3600? www.otterbox.com

    I don't have any experience with the Armor 3600 It looks
    like overkill for solving the problem to
    me.I have mounted a GPS on my Bike using a RAM Mount.

    The mount would look something like this: http://www.gpsci-
    ty.com/gps/brados/4852.1.3140911561793294267/RAPB149PD1lar-
    geview.html

    I didn't see anything specific for the 'ique' but I have
    mounted both a GPS and a Digital Camera using the RAP-B-238,
    RAP-B-201, RAP-B-231 parts and a GPS Holder.

    --

    Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager
    http://www.clee.org

  3. Mark Leuck

    Mark Leuck Guest

    "John" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Greetings,
    >
    > I have a Garmin ique 3600 PDA/GPS unit. I would like to
    > mount this on my Haluzak Horizon as I would like to start
    > getting into some of the brevets scheduled for this
    > summer. Does anyone have experience with otterbox products
    > such as the Armor 3600? www.otterbox.com
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > John

    That looks like overkill, I use a Garmin Emap and use a
    large Topeak cell bag, it has plenty of room

    http://www.topeak.com/cgi-
    bin/SoftCart.exe/Store/handyphone.html?L+scstore+mlsc0368ff-
    f032f0+1078884269

    And another smaller cell phone bag from Topeak for my
    cell phone

    http://www.topeak.com/cgi-
    bin/SoftCart.exe/Store/smallphone.html?L+scstore+mlsc0368ff-
    f032f0+1078884269

    I ended up cutting the mounts to allow each to hang on the
    handlebar 90 degrees apart from the other, only way to keep
    both within easy reach on a Baron

  4. Bill Anton

    Bill Anton Guest

    Don't know about the ique specifically, but most hand-
    held Garmin units are already waterproof. I wouldn't take
    one in the pool, but rain, snow and humidity shouldn't be
    a problem.

    --
    Bill Anton 2001 Vision R-40 26x26 SWB OSS Lubbock, TX, USA

    "John" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Greetings,
    >
    > I have a Garmin ique 3600 PDA/GPS unit. I would like to
    > mount this on my Haluzak Horizon as I would like to start
    > getting into some of the brevets scheduled for this
    > summer. Does anyone have experience with otterbox products
    > such as the Armor 3600? www.otterbox.com
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > John

  5. Mark Leuck

    Mark Leuck Guest

    "Bill Anton" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Don't know about the ique specifically, but most hand-held
    > Garmin units
    are
    > already waterproof. I wouldn't take one in the pool, but
    > rain, snow and humidity shouldn't be a problem.
    >
    > --
    > Bill Anton 2001 Vision R-40 26x26 SWB OSS Lubbock, TX, USA

    The biggest problem will be vibration, I originally had my
    Emap mounted on a T-bar using Garmin's handlebar option
    however vibration would end up causing the unit to turn off
    and it wasn't a practical way to mount the thing on a Baron
    anyway. The Topeak cell phone bag stops most of the
    vibration and while the screen isn't visible most of the
    time I can easily pull it out when I need to.

  6. Mike Euritt

    Mike Euritt Guest

    >The biggest problem will be vibration, I originally had my
    >Emap mounted on a T-bar using Garmin's handlebar option
    >however vibration would end up causing the unit to turn
    >off and it wasn't a practical way to mount the thing on a
    >Baron anyway.

    A friend of mine had this problem of the unit turning off
    due to road vibrations. He sent it back to the factory, they
    found nothing wrong. He put a small bit of foam inside the
    battery compartment to hold the batteries securely in place
    and the problem was solved.

  7. In article <[email protected]_s52>,
    [email protected] says...

    > The biggest problem will be vibration, I originally had my
    > Emap mounted on a T-bar using Garmin's handlebar option
    > however vibration would end up causing the unit to turn
    > off and it wasn't a practical way to mount the thing on a
    > Baron anyway. The Topeak cell phone bag stops most of the
    > vibration and while the screen isn't visible most of the
    > time I can easily pull it out when I need to.

    I would not think Garmins are any more sensitive to
    vibration than Magellan. I had my Meridian mounted with the
    H/B mount available for my unit. Vibration was never a
    problem. Being in my line of sight was a problem however. I
    got the RAM Mount to attach the GPS to my main tube just
    behind the headset. Due to the Ball and socket mountings
    there is I guess some shock absorbancy, but mounted on an
    articulated post, it does jiggle about a bit. I've never had
    a problem and it is always in easy reach between my knees.

    I would think a digital camera which is (1) not waterproof
    (2) not recommended to be dropped, would be a sensitive
    electronic. I have mounted my 'Bent Cam using a RAM Mount on
    the H/B. and it manages to take the bumps quite well.
    --
    Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager
    http://www.clee.org
    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  8. Mark Leuck

    Mark Leuck Guest

    "Mike Euritt" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > >The biggest problem will be vibration, I originally had
    > >my Emap mounted
    on a
    > >T-bar using Garmin's handlebar option however vibration
    > >would end up
    causing
    > >the unit to turn off and it wasn't a practical way to
    > >mount the thing on
    > >Baron anyway.
    >
    > A friend of mine had this problem of the unit turning off
    > due to road vibrations. He sent it back to the factory,
    > they found nothing wrong. He
    put a
    > small bit of foam inside the battery compartment to hold
    > the batteries
    securely
    > in place and the problem was solved.

    The older Garmin GPS III and V required a spring kit from
    Garmin to prevent this although with the different battery
    compartment setup that the Emap has I don't see it as being
    the same problem. However even if it weren't a problem the
    mounting for my bike (Optima Baron) wasn't very good anyway,
    putting it on the T mount in front took it out of my reach
    and mounting it on the handlebars wasn't possible as there
    isn't any room.

  9. Mark Leuck

    Mark Leuck Guest

    "Cletus D. Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]_s52>,
    > [email protected] says...
    >
    > > The biggest problem will be vibration, I originally had
    > > my Emap mounted
    on a
    > > T-bar using Garmin's handlebar option however vibration
    > > would end up
    causing
    > > the unit to turn off and it wasn't a practical way to
    > > mount the thing on
    > > Baron anyway. The Topeak cell phone bag stops most of
    > > the vibration and while the screen isn't visible most of
    > > the time I can easily pull it out when I need to.
    >
    > I would not think Garmins are any more sensitive to
    > vibration than Magellan. I had my Meridian mounted with
    > the H/B mount available for my unit. Vibration was never
    > a problem. Being in my line of sight was a problem
    > however. I got the RAM Mount to attach the GPS to my main
    > tube just behind the headset. Due to the Ball and socket
    > mountings there is I guess some shock absorbancy, but
    > mounted on an articulated post, it does jiggle about a
    > bit. I've never had a problem and it is always in easy
    > reach between my knees.

    I was never sure what the problem was however since I now
    have it in the Topeak phone bag it hasn't had a problem
    powering down

    > I would think a digital camera which is (1) not waterproof
    > (2) not recommended to be dropped, would be a sensitive
    > electronic. I have mounted my 'Bent Cam using a RAM Mount
    > on the H/B. and it manages to take the bumps quite well.
    > --

    What brand and model of camera and do you have any pics of
    the mounting? I have a Sony Cybershot P92 and thats my next
    project but I want to mount mine by the back wheel axle,
    this should allow some wicked movies during speed runs :)

  10. In article <[email protected]_s03>,
    [email protected] says...

    > What brand and model of camera and do you have any pics
    > of the mounting? I have a Sony Cybershot P92 and thats
    > my next project but I want to mount mine by the back
    > wheel axle, this should allow some wicked movies during
    > speed runs :)

    Lucky for you I have two digital cameras. I can take a
    picture of the the Cannon Powershot S45 mounted on the RAM
    Mount on my H/B. I'll post a link when I get the photos in
    the next day or two.

    --
    Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager
    http://www.clee.org
    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  11. Jon Meinecke

    Jon Meinecke Guest

    "Cletus D. Lee" <[email protected]>
    > I would not think Garmins are any more sensitive to
    > vibration than Magellan.

    Several Garmin models in fact have shown a tendency for
    batteries to lose contact due to vibration and shut off.
    Garmin made available retrofit stronger springs/battery
    clips to address the problem.

    NiMh or other rechargeable AA batteries are sometimes
    slightly smaller than standard AA's. Some people have
    speculated that the battery power loss shut-off were more
    common with rechargeable. As others have pointed out, adding
    some padding in the battery compartment has been shown to
    help in keeping batteries connected.

    Jon Meinecke

  12. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected].org says...
    > In article <[email protected]_s03>,
    > [email protected] says...
    >

    > > What brand and model of camera and do you have any pics
    > > of the mounting? I have a Sony Cybershot P92 and thats
    > > my next project but I want to mount mine by the back
    > > wheel axle, this should allow some wicked movies during
    > > speed runs :)
    > >

    > Lucky for you I have two digital cameras. I can take a
    > picture of the the Cannon Powershot S45 mounted on the RAM
    > Mount on my H/B. I'll post a link when I get the photos in
    > the next day or two.

    Well, a lot has intervened between this post and today. Here
    is the Link I promised.
    http://www.clee.org/Cycling/RAMmount/

    --
    Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager
    http://www.clee.org
    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  13. Mark Leuck

    Mark Leuck Guest

    I was the one interested, very impressive and thank you although I doubt I
    could do that type of mounting on a Baron :)

    "Cletus D. Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article
    > <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] says...
    > > In article <[email protected]_s03>,
    > > [email protected] says...
    > >

    > > > What brand and model of camera and do you have any
    > > > pics of the
    mounting? I
    > > > have a Sony Cybershot P92 and thats my next project
    > > > but I want to
    mount mine
    > > > by the back wheel axle, this should allow some wicked
    > > > movies during
    speed