Ouch - almost cycling

Thomas

Guest
Hey all,

Woke up this morning, late for work and with hungover head, walked to the station, took a quick look
to my right as I walked across the pedestrian crossing, came within a foot of the other side and
*BAM*, flakey old c*ck pensioner had cycled right into me and knocked me over. He then had a go at
me for crossing on red.

I was hungover and in foul-mood.

Don't you have arguing with someone when you know from the outset they're in the right?

Tom.

Thomas wrote:

> Hey all,
>
> Woke up this morning, late for work and with hungover head, walked to the station, took a quick
> look to my right as I walked across the pedestrian crossing, came within a foot of the other side
> and *BAM*, flakey old c*ck pensioner had cycled right into me and knocked me over. He then had a
> go at me for crossing on red.

:)

I hope I can still run people over when I'm a pensioner!

"Thomas" <tom [at] greysheep [dot] co [dot] uk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hey all,
>
> Woke up this morning, late for work and with hungover head, walked to the station, took a quick
> look to my right as I walked across the pedestrian crossing, came within a foot of the other
> side and *BAM*, flakey old c*ck pensioner had cycled right into me and knocked me over. He then
> had a go
at
> me for crossing on red.
>
> I was hungover and in foul-mood.
>
> Don't you have arguing with someone when you know from the outset they're
in
> the right?

They were not in the right. You were not in the right either mind you, but the HC does say something
about not being allowed to run people over or hit them because they haven't got the right of way. He
must have had plenty of time to think about it by the time you got to a foot of the other side.
Perhaps if he has jurassic reaction times he needs to be more careful.

"Thomas" <tom [at] greysheep [dot] co [dot] uk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hey all,
>
> Woke up this morning, late for work and with hungover head, walked to the station, took a quick
> look to my right as I walked across the pedestrian crossing, came within a foot of the other
> side and *BAM*, flakey old c*ck pensioner had cycled right into me and knocked me over. He then
> had a go
at
> me for crossing on red.
>
> I was hungover and in foul-mood.
>
> Don't you have arguing with someone when you know from the outset they're
in
> the right?
>
> Tom.

Must admit, I thought pedestrians always took priority, no matter how much of a poor decision
they've made ;-) ....and crossings with lights only have lights to *make* car drivers stop....back
in the day, there never used to be lights associated with crossings, apart from belching beacons (I
know, I know, can't remember how to spell belcha / belesha / whatever!!). This is because folks was
more polite back then and would actually inconvenience themselves for a couple of seconds to allow a
pedestrian to cross. The lights are to force road users to stop, rather than giving priority to road
users or pavement users, although this is the effect it has and I wouldn't be suprised if the H/C
hasn't been subtley ammended to reflect this..... Dave (standing by to be corrected - a lot!!)

>I wouldn't be suprised if the H/C hasn't been subtley ammended to reflect this..... Dave (standing
>by to be corrected - a lot!!)

Here's what the HC currently says..

Under the pedestrian section

Rule 18

At all crossings. When using any type of crossing you should

always check that the traffic has stopped before you start to cross or push a pram onto a crossing
always cross between the studs or over the zebra markings. Do not cross at the side of the crossing
or on the zig-zag lines, as it can be dangerous. You MUST NOT loiter on zebra, pelican or puffin
crossings. Laws ZPPPCRGD reg 19 & RTRA sect 25(5)

Rule 19

Zebra crossings. Give traffic plenty of time to see you and to stop before you start to cross.
Vehicles will need more time when the road is slippery. Remember that traffic does not have to stop
until someone has moved onto the crossing. Wait until traffic has stopped from both directions or
the road is clear before crossing. Keep looking both ways, and listening, in case a driver or rider
has not seen you and attempts to overtake a vehicle that has stopped

Rule 20

Where there is an island in the middle of a zebra crossing, wait on the island and follow Rule 19
before you cross the second half of the road - it is a separate crossing.

Rule 21

At traffic lights. There may be special signals for pedestrians. You should only start to cross the
road when the green figure shows. If you have started to cross the road and the green figure goes
out, you should still have time to reach the other side, but do not delay. If no pedestrian signals
have been provided, watch carefully and do not cross until the traffic lights are red and the
traffic has stopped. Keep looking and check for traffic that may be turning the corner. Remember
that traffic lights may let traffic move in some lanes while traffic in other lanes has stopped.

Rule 22

Pelican crossings. These are signal-controlled crossings operated by pedestrians. Push the control
button to activate the traffic signals. When the red figure shows, do not cross. When a steady green
figure shows, check the traffic has stopped then cross with care. When the green figure begins to
flash you should not start to cross. If you have already started you should have time to finish
crossing safely.

Rule 23

At some pelican crossings there is a bleeping sound to indicate to blind or partially-sighted people
when the steady green figure is showing, and there may be a tactile signal to help deafblind people.

Rule 24

When the road is congested, traffic on your side of the road may be forced to stop even though their
lights are green. Traffic may still be moving on the other side of the road, so press the button and
wait for the signal to cross.

Rule 25

Puffin and toucan crossings. These differ from pelican crossings as there is no flashing green
figure phase. On puffin crossings the red and green figures are above the control box on your side
of the road. Press the button and wait for the green figure to show. On toucan crossings cyclists
are permitted to ride across the road (see Rule 65).

Must admit, I wasn't aware cyclists could ride across using a Toucan. Personally, I'm happy with my
Bianchi ;-)

Cheers, helen s

fortune h*$el*$$e**nd***$o$ts***i*$*$m**m$$o*n**s@$*$a$$o**l.c**$*$om$$

"dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> Rule 25
>
> Puffin and toucan crossings. These differ from pelican crossings as there
is no
> flashing green figure phase. On puffin crossings the red and green figures
are
> above the control box on your side of the road. Press the button and wait
for
> the green figure to show. On toucan crossings cyclists are permitted to
ride
> across the road (see Rule 65).
>
> Must admit, I wasn't aware cyclists could ride across using a Toucan. Personally, I'm happy with
> my Bianchi ;-)

toucan = "two can" cross

cheers, clive

Helen S wrote:

> Rule 21
>
> At traffic lights. There may be special signals for pedestrians. You should only start to cross
> the road when the green figure shows. If you have started to cross the road and the green figure
> goes out, you should still have time to reach the other side, but do not delay. If no pedestrian
> signals have been provided, watch carefully and do not cross until the traffic lights are red and
> the traffic has stopped. Keep looking and check for traffic that may be turning the corner.
> Remember that traffic lights may let traffic move in some lanes while traffic in other lanes has
> stopped.

Additional 1: The extinguishing of the red light does not mean "start mincing across the road in a
manner that would make John Inman blush with embarrassment as you attempt to not spill your
overpriced sludge from f****** Starbucks".

Additional 2: This rule not apply if you have just come from, are about to go into, Liverpool Street
Station. In this case, feel free to ***** about in the middle of the road at your own convenience.
Oh, you do already?

> Rule 24
>
> When the road is congested, traffic on your side of the road may be forced to stop even though
> their lights are green. Traffic may still be moving on the other side of the road, so press the
> button and wait for the signal to cross.

Additional: When the road is "congested", remember that those who go about their business on two
wheels may still be moving. Do not wonder out from behind a stationary, and opaque, vehicle with
your nose buried in your newspaper or with your gaze fixed earnestly on your toes like an early-
nineties neo-miserablist Indie Kid, ere ye collect a Mighty Kawasaki in the small of the back.

And another thing. Who was responsible for giving light-controlled crossings these ridiculous names?
If I find out, then the day after I lead the Panzers down Whitehall, I shall get the Sweeney to
smash up their offices daily until they emigrate.

Bah!

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

> [...]
cross.

> Rule 25
>
> Puffin and toucan crossings. These differ from pelican crossings as there
is no
> flashing green figure phase. On puffin crossings the red and green figures
are
> above the control box on your side of the road. Press the button and wait
for
> the green figure to show. On toucan crossings cyclists are permitted to
ride
> across the road (see Rule 65).
>
> Must admit, I wasn't aware cyclists could ride across using a Toucan. Personally, I'm happy with
> my Bianchi ;-)
>
> Cheers, helen s
>

> --This is an invalid email address to avoid spam-- to get correct one remove dependency on fame &

Presumably thus absolving cagers of any need to be considerate to pedestrians (almost like seperate
species, eh ;-)....If you doubt me, stand in the middle of a crossing as the lights turn to
green...if you've got a flag you could do an impression of a start to the Indie2000 or somesuchthing
where an individual stands in the middle of the track and waves the flag to start...Red..Amber
(vroomvrooom - ready for the off )..Green Vroooooom - gone..."wha'f*ckin'pedestrian?!!?"...s'aright
mate, says so in the highway code...there fault, no probs!! Dave ;-) Slowly beginning to totally
despair of UK society, totally

Dave Larrington wondered:
> And another thing. Who was responsible for giving light-controlled crossings these
> ridiculous names?

The "Charley Says" DVD, which I received for Christmas, includes public service films about the
introduction of pelican crossings. One of those mentioned that the name comes from PEdestrian LIght
CONtrolled crossings. I guess the others just followed the theme of birds with funny beaks.

http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/danny/

Danny Colyer wrote:

> I guess the others just followed the theme of birds with funny beaks.

Does that mean we'll be using Streisand crossings one day?

Simon

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 21:43:01 -0000, "Danny Colyer"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>One of those mentioned that the name comes from PEdestrian LIght CONtrolled crossings

A pound says that's a backronym :)

Guy
===
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 14:08:18 -0000, "Dave Larrington"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>And another thing. Who was responsible for giving light-controlled crossings these ridiculous
>names? If I find out, then the day after I lead the Panzers down Whitehall, I shall get the Sweeney
>to smash up their offices daily until they emigrate.

Blimey. Gone soft? No shooting and burning of bodies?

But, yes, bloody avian crossing names. The latest is a Puffin I believe. Probably a tortuous acronym
ivolving Pedestrian User F**kwit.

Let's see them acronymificate the next one: "Shitehawk"

Tim