Ouch, damnit, millenium hand and shrimp

Resound

Guest
I am profoundly annoyed. Of all the things I could get, I get fscking GOUT!
I mean...WTF? I don't drink heavily, I eat ok, all the rest of it and I have
bloody arthritis at the age of 34? spit spit dummy expectoration.

Ouch.

Damn it, I want a drink now.

My boss' son (only 17 at the time) also suffered from gout. He's half your
age!! Nonetheless, my sympathy goes out to you. I have it on good
authority from a gout sufferer that marachino cherries are a good remedy.
Best of luck with it and may all your rides be downhill. :)

--
Bean

Remove "yourfinger" before replying
news:[email protected]...

Resound said:
I am profoundly annoyed. Of all the things I could get, I get fscking GOUT!
I mean...WTF? I don't drink heavily, I eat ok, all the rest of it and I have
bloody arthritis at the age of 34? spit spit dummy expectoration.

Ouch.

Damn it, I want a drink now.

Yeah - been there done that - was about the same age too and like you very P155ed off.

Only releif came when I cut right back on red meat & pork, eased off on the tomatoes, citrus, salad dressings with vinegar any other acidic foods.
I dont really think that totally eliminating this stuff is necessary, nor is it necessary to become a "food phobic', just reduce the quantity. You will soon work it out.

Poultry and sea food are the on the menu and for a drink give the cheap champers a go. NO red wine or Port at your peril.

Last thing before going to bed have a glass of ENO or similar bicarb antacid drink. I found that it lessened the pain in the mornings.

Make sure that you stay well hydrated as AFIK gout is a sign that the kidneys are protesting about too much acid.

Commiserations -

Hugh

fat foot burning ouch ouch ouch

"Bean Long" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My boss' son (only 17 at the time) also suffered from gout. He's half
> your
> age!! Nonetheless, my sympathy goes out to you. I have it on good
> authority from a gout sufferer that marachino cherries are a good remedy.
> Best of luck with it and may all your rides be downhill. :)
>
> --
> Bean

Interesting. I thought marachino cherries had alcohol in them which is meant
to be a nono for gout. Mind you, I suspect this is so because it's a
diuretic, which in turn means I should probably cut back on coffee. Cut.
Back. On. Coffee.

Nope, still sounds like an oxymoron.

Resound said:
I am profoundly annoyed. Of all the things I could get, I get fscking GOUT! I mean...WTF? I don't drink heavily, I eat ok, all the rest of it and I have bloody arthritis at the age of 34? spit spit dummy expectoration.

Possible its hereditary? A couple of rellies had it plus I had scare in my late twenties. The memories of a sore big toe - arrggggggg! :eek:

Resound said:
Interesting. I thought marachino cherries had alcohol in them which is meant
to be a nono for gout. Mind you, I suspect this is so because it's a
diuretic, which in turn means I should probably cut back on coffee. Cut.
Back. On. Coffee.

Nope, still sounds like an oxymoron.

So - no Goatage for the young gent this week? We could smuggle in a cheapo bottle of Great Western?

"cfsmtb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Resound Wrote:
>>
>> Interesting. I thought marachino cherries had alcohol in them which is
>> meant
>> to be a nono for gout. Mind you, I suspect this is so because it's a
>> diuretic, which in turn means I should probably cut back on coffee.
>> Cut.
>> Back. On. Coffee.
>>
>> Nope, still sounds like an oxymoron.

> So - no Goatage for the young gent this week? We could smuggle in a
> cheapo bottle of Great Western?
>

> --
> cfsmtb

Given that I missed the last one, I'll turn up to this one. I might have to
go easy on the refreshments though.

Resound wrote:
> I am profoundly annoyed. Of all the things I could get, I get fscking GOUT!
> I mean...WTF? I don't drink heavily, I eat ok, all the rest of it and I have
> bloody arthritis at the age of 34? spit spit dummy expectoration.

Congratulations. Welcome to life and the health lottery.
This is the hidden truth that the quacks, etc don't tell you, i.e. good
health and a long life can be largely random.

I'd suggest looking for a few good internet support groups. My
experience of other conditions is that quack knowledge can be iffy and
worse than the 2c of Mrs Johnson down the street.

Is gout anything like arthritis, which I have been told by a few suffers
"that the more you ride, the less it hurts"?

I feel for you. I was recently diagnosed with another arthritic
condition at the grand old age of 28. Ankylosing spondylitis - same
condition which affected Michael Slater and Michael Atherton during
their cricket careers.

Mostly manageable now, except for the occasional flare-up. Can't do
anything that involves running these days but I can still ride. It's a
bit of a catch-22 though - the joint pain can make it difficult to
start riding, but riding usually helps relieve the joint pain.

Terry Collins wrote:

> Is gout anything like arthritis, which I have been told by a few suffers
> "that the more you ride, the less it hurts"?

my Dad would get it on occasions, its uric acid crystals that form in
the joints, sometimes he would get it in his ankle, or his knee,
sometimes the elbow, pain is like having broken glass in the joint, so
its painfull to move or touch.

"Terry Collins" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Resound wrote:
>> I am profoundly annoyed. Of all the things I could get, I get fscking
>> GOUT!
>> I mean...WTF? I don't drink heavily, I eat ok, all the rest of it and I
>> have
>> bloody arthritis at the age of 34? spit spit dummy expectoration.

> Congratulations. Welcome to life and the health lottery.
> This is the hidden truth that the quacks, etc don't tell you, i.e. good
> health and a long life can be largely random.
>
> I'd suggest looking for a few good internet support groups. My
> experience of other conditions is that quack knowledge can be iffy and
> worse than the 2c of Mrs Johnson down the street.
>

> Is gout anything like arthritis, which I have been told by a few suffers
> "that the more you ride, the less it hurts"?

That may be true, but it's entirely located in the first joint of the big
toe on the right foot, so anything involving weight bearing on the ball of
the left foot is right out. I'm hoping that I'll be able to manage it with
the exceptions of occasional flareups.

Terry Collins wrote:
> Is gout anything like arthritis, which I have been told by a few suffers
> "that the more you ride, the less it hurts"?

the more you ride the less you notice. then it catches up with you later.

kim

Resound wrote:
> I am profoundly annoyed. Of all the things I could get, I get fscking GOUT!
> I mean...WTF? I don't drink heavily, I eat ok, all the rest of it and I have
> bloody arthritis at the age of 34? spit spit dummy expectoration.
>
> Ouch.

having seen my Dad get it every now and then I have seen how painfull it
is, he was not a heavy drinker either, just hope I don't get it.

maybe a review of your diet might help

http://www.rheumatology.org.nz/nz08003.htm

zog said:
Resound wrote:
> I am profoundly annoyed. Of all the things I could get, I get fscking GOUT!
> I mean...WTF? I don't drink heavily, I eat ok, all the rest of it and I have
> bloody arthritis at the age of 34? spit spit dummy expectoration.
>
> Ouch.

having seen my Dad get it every now and then I have seen how painfull it
is, he was not a heavy drinker either, just hope I don't get it.

maybe a review of your diet might help

http://www.rheumatology.org.nz/nz08003.htm
Hereditary - my paternal grandmother, my father and then me. I was 46 when it started last year, my father was in mis 30's.

It used to be considered to be an affliction of the rich and idle. Now with the poor people eating food of the quality that the rich ate a few hundred years ago, it is no longer associated with rich fat old burghers, although be prepared for hilarity at your expense when you tell your workmates. This is a form of arthritis for which you will get no sympathy from the general populace. The more pain you exhibit, the more they will laugh. Bastards.

Rich living does not cause it, your body's' inability to deal effectively with uric acid causes it, ie crystals of uric salts forming in your joints.

Red meat, shellfish, red wines, legumes exacerbate it.

If it is really bad and is chronic (ie, in medical terms, long lasting), there is medication to lower the level of uric acid in your system.

I am also lucky enough to make stones in my kidneys. (Something else I inherited from my fatehr). Lovely spikey stones with sharp crystalline structures on the outside. They cause pain all the way from the kidney until they reach the outside world. For this I should drink lots of water. I should not get dehydrated. My doc said on a flight bewteen Perth and Melbourne, I should drink sufficient water that I need to visit the toilet 3 times during the flight. I should drink lots of water and get an aisle seat whenever I fly.

When I am hydrating properly, I do not get kidney stones AND I do not get attacks of gouty arthritis.

Hydration, hydration, hydration.

Steve(at least I got my Dad's low cholesterol when I inherited the family health characteristics)A

"cfsmtb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Resound Wrote:
>> I am profoundly annoyed. Of all the things I could get, I get fscking
>> GOUT! I mean...WTF? I don't drink heavily, I eat ok, all the rest of it
>> and I have bloody arthritis at the age of 34? spit spit dummy
>> expectoration.
>>

> Possible its hereditary? A couple of rellies had it plus I had scare in
> my late twenties. The memories of a sore big toe - arrggggggg! :eek:
>

> --
> cfsmtb

Nobody in my family as far as I know. I like this concept of having an
attack once and then it going away forever though. Mind you, some sites I've
looked at say that there can be years between the first attacks.