ouch...first "real" wreck!

olive

Jun 23, 2009
I just had my first relatively bad wreck yesterday… my foot somehow came unclipped when I was trying to get my water bottle. I the bike went careening off in one direction and I overcorrected…I ended up landing right shoulder, hip, and elbow...my helmet is crack and my shirt shredded (my NEW shirt…) I got up and I was so happy nothing was broken and then…I blacked out. I’m just wondering why that happened and if it’s normal? Does it have something to do with the endorphins or adrenaline or something?

olive said:
I just had my first relatively bad wreck yesterday… my foot somehow came unclipped when I was trying to get my water bottle. I the bike went careening off in one direction and I overcorrected…I ended up landing right shoulder, hip, and elbow...my helmet is crack and my shirt shredded (my NEW shirt…) I got up and I was so happy nothing was broken and then…I blacked out. I’m just wondering why that happened and if it’s normal? Does it have something to do with the endorphins or adrenaline or something?
You suffered a fairly serious concussion ... as a rule of thumb, the longer you were 'out' the more serious the concussion.

You should actually consider seeing a doctor ...

Minimally, google "concussion" and check the related symptoms & compare them with your post crash symptoms.

Passing out usually occurs due to a loss of blood flow to the brain. Low blood sugar, dehydration, physical stress and or a shock to the nervous system can cause it.
It seems that you had a good combinations of these going for you so it could have been one or all, and as was mentioned a blow to the head causing possible bruising to the brain or worse.
Back in the day when I dealt with ski injuries and such I have had several individuals go out on me after a traumatic injury with no open wounds or blood loss.
It could be nothing but I wouldn't take any chances if you have some symptoms headaches, dizziness, nausea etc.

Well, it's foolish to claim any diagnosis. There are a bevy of conditions that can result in a syncopal episode. No matter what, you do need to get looked at. You cracked your helmet, so your head was subjected to higher than normal forces. Couple that with the fact that you passed out, and, as I said before, you need to be seen.

alienator said:
Well, it's foolish to claim any diagnosis. There are a bevy of conditions that can result in a syncopal episode. No matter what, you do need to get looked at. You cracked your helmet, so your head was subjected to higher than normal forces. Couple that with the fact that you passed out, and, as I said before, you need to be seen.

Amen. Think Natasha Richardson.

Take you and your helmet to the doc and just tell him "I fell off my bike at speed, landed on my noggin and blacked out." If you're in the US and have good medical insurance it may be quicker and easier just to roll upto the ER and tell them the same. Giving the doc the helmet will show the location and severity of the forces involved and remove any doubt of "oh, he's making stuff up" - or at least thats what my doc told me when discussing bike stuff a while back.

With the ER you'll probably be in and out within an hour or so - if you go with the normal doc visit it could be significantly longer, even if you don't count in the time you gotta wait to see him.

Glad youre doin well enough to post this, but get to the doc man. Youre noggins nothin to play with.

Its kinda funny that I just saw this thread today...I just bought a new helmet yesterday and my buddy was chirpin me about spending so much on a helmet. Hopefully I dont have to use it anytime in the near future, but it sure is nice to have it.

Feltski said:
Glad youre doin well enough to post this, but get to the doc man. Youre noggins nothin to play with.

Its kinda funny that I just saw this thread today...I just bought a new helmet yesterday and my buddy was chirpin me about spending so much on a helmet. Hopefully I dont have to use it anytime in the near future, but it sure is nice to have it.

Always buy a great helmet....been in a couple of accidents with cars and would rather have something thats going to protect rather than save money. Think about it....whats the point of saving money if you can't move....

I had something similar happen to me back in February. You definatly had suffered from a concussion and I would suggest that you get to a doctor and have it looked at. I did not get a concussion but what I did when it happened was to keep talking to myself. I did everything I could to prevent me from passing out. I did have some sort of shock and I did feel like I wanted to pass out.

I did go to my doctor the next day and I was fine except for the fact that I dislocated my left shoulder. Rather have that then a concussion.