Ouch!

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Peter Grange, Jun 1, 2003.

  1. Peter Grange

    Peter Grange Guest

    Well, at 57 years of age and after having cycled most of my life on & off I had my first vehicle
    collision yesterday. I was cycling along the main road, car coming the other way, driver performed
    right turn immediately in front of me. Nowhere to go other than into the side of the car, over the
    bonnet & onto the tarmac the other side.

    A nice variation on SMIDSY, whilst I was lying in the road a voice, presumably the driver, said "I
    thought you'd seen me", which presumably means she saw me but still turned anyway.

    Without prejudice (just in case) I seem to have got off lightly, lots of things hurt today but
    nothing broken. Haven't dared look at the bike yet.

    Nothing but praise for the passers-by who rushed to my aid and the ambulance service who were there
    very quickly.

    Will be phoning the CTC accident line tomorrow.

    An interesting footnote, part of the ambulance crew's report says "Helmet worn and in situ on our
    arrival". This is presumably because driver's insurance company might try to shift blame to
    cyclist in the case of head injuries if no helmet? If so, sounds unreasonable to me, driver wasn't
    wearing one.....

    Pete

    --
    Peter Grange

    remove crude spam trap to reply

    Tags:

  2. helmet issue to one side - I am very, very glad you are okay, Pete. Have the police been informed?
    They should be.

    Take care and mend completely.

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

  3. Peter Grange

    Peter Grange Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter
    <[email protected]> writes
    >helmet issue to one side - I am very, very glad you are okay, Pete. Have the police been informed?
    >They should be.
    >
    >Take care and mend completely.
    >
    >Cheers, helen s
    >

    >~~~~~~~~~~
    >Clean up the waste & get rid of the trapped wind to send a reply
    >
    >Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the keyboaRRRDdd
    >~~~~~~~~~~
    Thanks Helen. Yes police attended, have names of 4 witnesses from them.

    Pete
    --

  4. Peter Grange wrote:
    > An interesting footnote, part of the ambulance crew's report says "Helmet worn and in situ on our
    > arrival". This is presumably because driver's insurance company might try to shift blame to
    > cyclist in the case of head injuries if no helmet? If so, sounds unreasonable to me, driver wasn't
    > wearing one.....

    Did you actually hit your head?

    Glad you're OK.

    There is a small but growing minority of drivers who think it's cyclists' job to get out of their
    way. Some of them drive buses.

    Colin McKenzie

  5. Tim S

    Tim S Guest

    "Peter Grange" <[email protected]_THISplgrange.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]... <snip>
    > A nice variation on SMIDSY, whilst I was lying in the road a voice, presumably the driver, said "I
    > thought you'd seen me", which presumably means she saw me but still turned anyway.
    <snip>
    > Peter Grange

    Nice quote, like to see her get out of that one if the witnesses heard it (though I'm sure the
    insewerants company will try.)

    Glad to hear you're OK

    Tim S

  6. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Peter Grange" <[email protected]_THISplgrange.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > An interesting footnote, part of the ambulance crew's report says "Helmet worn and in situ on our
    > arrival". This is presumably because driver's insurance company might try to shift blame to
    > cyclist in the case of head injuries if no helmet? If so, sounds unreasonable to me, driver wasn't
    > wearing one.....

    Can't see that being the case, since it's not a legal requirement to wear one. I would have thought
    that this would be useful info for the doctors as they look for injuries to your bonce. Hope you
    recover OK.

  7. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sun, 1 Jun 2003 11:43:19 +0100, Peter Grange <[email protected]_THISplgrange.demon.co.uk> wrote:

    [snip ouchie]

    Glad you're OK. Sadly the driver is immune from the standard penalty for this kind of behaviour,
    lacking as she does the goolies which would otherwise be cut off.

    >A nice variation on SMIDSY, whilst I was lying in the road a voice, presumably the driver, said "I
    >thought you'd seen me", which presumably means she saw me but still turned anyway.

    That's what's technically known as an "admission of liability" :)

    >An interesting footnote, part of the ambulance crew's report says "Helmet worn and in situ on our
    >arrival". This is presumably because driver's insurance company might try to shift blame to cyclist
    >in the case of head injuries if no helmet?

    They have been known to try, and have so far been slapped down every time they've tried it with the
    CTC's legal people. John Franklin apparently has a steady business informing courts of the limited
    effectiveness of helmets.

    Guy
    ===
    dynamic DNS permitting)
    work. Apologies.

  8. Peter Grange

    Peter Grange Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, Colin McKenzie <[email protected]> writes
    >Peter Grange wrote:
    >> An interesting footnote, part of the ambulance crew's report says "Helmet worn and in situ on our
    >> arrival". This is presumably because driver's insurance company might try to shift blame to
    >> cyclist in the case of head injuries if no helmet? If so, sounds unreasonable to me, driver
    >> wasn't wearing one.....
    >
    >Did you actually hit your head?
    >
    >Glad you're OK.
    >
    >There is a small but growing minority of drivers who think it's cyclists' job to get out of their
    >way. Some of them drive buses.
    >

    >Colin McKenzie
    I honestly don't know if I did hit my head. There is some scratching on the helmet which suggests it
    hit something, I guess it hit the tarmac eventually. I will replace it anyway, hopefully at the
    expense of the offending driver's ins co. Whilst I'm typing, I should have said in my original post
    that the 'passers by' did include other drivers. Credit where credit's due.

    Pete
    --
    Peter Grange

    Remove crude spam trap to reply

  9. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, one of infinite monkeys at the keyboard of Peter
    Grange <[email protected]_THISplgrange.demon.co.uk> wrote:

    > A nice variation on SMIDSY, whilst I was lying in the road a voice, presumably the driver, said "I
    > thought you'd seen me", which presumably means she saw me but still turned anyway.

    AIUI drivers can be required to undertake retraining after an accident. That sounds like very strong
    grounds for it!

    > Without prejudice (just in case) I seem to have got off lightly, lots of things hurt today but
    > nothing broken. Haven't dared look at the bike yet.
    >
    > Will be phoning the CTC accident line tomorrow.

    Sounds like you have things well in hand. Good luck with getting back to normal (you and the
    bike both).

    --
    Axis of Evil: Whose economy needs ever more wars? Arms Exports $bn: USA 14.2, UK 5.1, vs France 1.5,
    Germany 0.8 (The Economist, July 2002)

  10. Colin McKenzie wrote:
    > Peter Grange wrote:
    >
    >>An interesting footnote, part of the ambulance crew's report says "Helmet worn and in situ on our
    >>arrival". This is presumably because driver's insurance company might try to shift blame to
    >>cyclist in the case of head injuries if no helmet? If so, sounds unreasonable to me, driver wasn't
    >>wearing one.....
    >

    > Did you actually hit your head?
    >
    > Glad you're OK.
    >
    > There is a small but growing minority of drivers who think it's cyclists' job to get out of their
    > way. Some of them drive buses.

    Most of the ones round here seem to drive black cabs, but thats only to be expected as they think
    they are the salt of the earth. I think they are the same but would spell salt differently.

    I had a similar accident to the one you describe, outside a police station witnessed by off duty
    police, it still took a month of Sunday's for the driver's insurance to pay up. That was without CTC
    assistance though.

    Anyway glad to hear it's nothing serious and hope you get back on your bike ASAP.

    Daniel.

  11. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    "Tim S" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "Peter Grange" <[email protected]_THISplgrange.demon.co.uk> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]... <snip>
    > > A nice variation on SMIDSY, whilst I was lying in the road a voice, presumably the driver, said
    > > "I thought you'd seen me", which presumably means she saw me but still turned anyway.
    >
    > Nice quote, like to see her get out of that one if the witnesses heard it (though I'm sure the
    > insewerants company will try.)

    An admission of liability if ever I heard one. :)

    > Glad to hear you're OK

    Ditto. Hope your bike's OK too, Peter, and you're out on it again in no time.

    --
    Dave...