ouch.

Nina Stoessinge

Guest
i decided for a change in running form today and just fell, without bothering to catch myself
gracefully :p

this came at the end of a wonderful, wonderful 7.5 mile run; i was sooo happy and flashed and was
just beaming at a woman on a bike - therefore didn't notice a part of the sidewalk (which is
constructed of pretty badly aligned slabs) sticking up. so, i crashed right onto the concrete at my
full impressive speed of 9:30 minutes per mile.

after some cursing, i pressed a hanky on my bleeding palm and ran home. and was sooo relieved i
could still run. just some bad scratches and bruises on the left knee and hand. the thing that gets
to me most is i totally ruined my nice, expensive and almost new running tights (adidas, climawarm)
- some nice big holes in the left knee. anyone know if i can mend this somehow? just sew a patch
across the holes?

it also wasn't fun to pick the sand out from under my skin. :p

ni"doesn't matter, it was still a great run"na

What is going on with people crashing to earth this week? If you don't get a good suggestion on how
to mend your new tights, I say keep them for some race day when you want to intimidate the
competition, and show up with torn knee coverings and a wild look on your face. Hope you recover
quickly. chris

In article <[email protected]> "nina stoessinger" <[email protected]> writes:
>i decided for a change in running form today and just fell, without bothering to catch myself
>gracefully :p
>
>after some cursing, i pressed a hanky on my bleeding palm and ran home. and was sooo relieved i
>could still run. just some bad scratches and bruises on the left knee and hand. the thing that gets
>to me most is i totally ruined my nice, expensive and almost new running tights (adidas, climawarm)
>- some nice big holes in the left knee. anyone know if i can mend this somehow? just sew a patch
>across the holes? it also wasn't fun to pick the sand out from under my skin. :p
>

>ni"doesn't matter, it was still a great run"na

Oh Nina, now you didn't have to go and copy me by falling! ;-)

But seriously, glad you're alright. Yeah, I still have some gravel in the right palm from this last
weekend, but it's coming out. Bummer about the new tights though! I just slightly skinned the knee
and that will heal. I think what I'd try is to just stitch them back together so long as there's
enough stretch. If not, maybe put some sort of soft material behind the hole and stitch it in (so
it's smooth and soft over your knee). Well, if you're like me, this coming week you'll be running
with those knees up extra high!

Teresa in AZ

nina stoessinger wrote:

> i was sooo happy and flashed and was just beaming at a woman on a bike

You know, you can get arrested in some places for that kind of behaviour.

Malc

On Tue, 8 Apr 2003 22:00:13 +0200, nina stoessinger wrote:

>i decided for a change in running form today and just fell, without bothering to catch myself
>gracefully :p

[snip]

I am sorry BUT welcome to my world. If you didn't break any bones, it wasn't much of a fall (the
embarrassment goes away after the 10th or 12th time) <G>. I am sorry about your tights, though.
Maybe the C Lauper look will return (I kinda like her for some odd reason). I'll ask Susan about
mending them. Hmm, I guess a good collection of scars isn't the same for women as it is for men.

Layne

The rec.running report archives may be found at http://kinder.cis.unf.edu/rec.running

"Teresa Plymate" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Oh Nina, now you didn't have to go and copy me by falling! ;-)

LOL. We could start a trend! :)

> But seriously, glad you're alright. Yeah, I still have some gravel in the right palm from this
> last weekend, but it's coming out.

What really gets to me is how unusable a hand gets once it's just slightly damaged. I mean apart
from washing dishes and such, my semester has started and I should be working with clay and plaster
and stuff. And when I bandage it it looks so drastic it's almost embarrassing ("Oh my GOD what
happened to your HAND?" - "Er, I went running")

But looks like it'll be okay pretty soon. Hope yours heals quickly, too! Let's start a 'running with
knees up in the air' trend, too. :)

nina

"Layne Wallace" <[email protected]> wrote:

> I am sorry BUT welcome to my world. If you didn't break any bones, it wasn't much of a fall

Gimme some time to practice, will ya? :I

ni";)"na

In article <[email protected]> "nina stoessinger" <[email protected]> writes:
>> But seriously, glad you're alright. Yeah, I still have some gravel in the right palm from this
>> last weekend, but it's coming out.
>
>What really gets to me is how unusable a hand gets once it's just slightly damaged. I mean apart
>from washing dishes and such, my semester has started and I should be working with clay and plaster
>and stuff. And when I bandage it it looks so drastic it's almost embarrassing ("Oh my GOD what
>happened to your HAND?" - "Er, I went running")

Maybe use a small bandage and some disposable gloves to protect it while using the clay and plaster?

Yep! Mine is right where the mouse goes, so I'm doing a lot more typing and less mousing. Though one
of the projects I'm doing right now is on AutoCad so I need the mouse. But it's lots better already.

>But looks like it'll be okay pretty soon. Hope yours heals quickly, too! Let's start a 'running
>with knees up in the air' trend, too. :)
>
>nina

It's a deal!! I've been practicing all week. But I'll bet both of us will be more alert for quite a
while. It's still shocking how fast it all happened.

Teresa in AZ

"Teresa Plymate" <[email protected]> wrote:

> Maybe use a small bandage and some disposable gloves to protect it while using the clay and
> plaster?

that's a good idea. Actually though, the hand is already healed up so far I don't need the bandages
/ band-aids anymore. I'm pretty skeptical about the "a covered wound heals faster than an uncovered
one" doctrine, anyway. After all, if you leave it uncovered, it closes up pretty fast. It looks, er,
waterproof now. :)

> Yep! Mine is right where the mouse goes

ugh. Poor thing. At least I fell on my left side.

Happy healing & knee-lifting, nina