Our government...

G.T.

Guest
...is regressing by the hour. And all along I thought there was a separation of state and church in
this country. Soon we'll have an army of Baptist preachers calling us to prayer over loudspeakers
spread across the land:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/03/27/sprj.irq.fasting.ap/index.html

Greg

news:p[email protected]...
> ...is regressing by the hour. And all along I thought there was a separation of state and church
> in this country. Soon we'll have an army of Baptist preachers calling us to prayer over
> loudspeakers spread across the land:
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/03/27/sprj.irq.fasting.ap/index.html
>
> Greg

Awesome, isn't it!

What part of "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the
free exercise thereof" are you having trouble with?

--
Slacker

Slacker wrote:
> "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
>
>>...is regressing by the hour. And all along I thought there was a separation of state and church
>>in this country. Soon we'll have an army of Baptist preachers calling us to prayer over
>>loudspeakers spread across the land:
>>
>>http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/03/27/sprj.irq.fasting.ap/index.html
>>
>>Greg
>

> Awesome, isn't it!

Pretty disgusting, actually. We're well on our way to fanaticism and the dark ages. Can't wait for
the call to prayers 10 times a day. Gotta show we're more pious than the those heathens.

> What part of "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting
> the free exercise thereof" are you having trouble with?

No problem with that. But I don't know how Congress reconciles "Americans should use the day of
prayer to seek guidance from God" with the above words.

Greg

> > "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:p[email protected]...
> >
> >>...is regressing by the hour. And all along I thought there was a separation of state and church
> >>in this country. Soon we'll have an army of Baptist preachers calling us to prayer over
> >>loudspeakers spread across the land:
> >>
> >>http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/03/27/sprj.irq.fasting.ap/index.html
> >>
> >>Greg
> >

> > Awesome, isn't it!
>
> Pretty disgusting, actually. We're well on our way to fanaticism and the dark ages. Can't wait for
> the call to prayers 10 times a day. Gotta show we're more pious than the those heathens.
>

> > What part of "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting
> > the free exercise thereof" are you having trouble with?
> >

> No problem with that. But I don't know how Congress reconciles "Americans should use the day of
> prayer to seek guidance from God" with the above words.
>
> Greg

Well, a Resolution is one thing, but just as long as they don't even think of passing some
stupid religion law (pro-Christian or otherwise), I don't care what they say/do. Does anyone
actually listen to them anyway; They're probably just trying to cover their **** for the next
election campaign.

Did you see that twin towers mural in that Iraqi gov building?
--
Slacker

news:p[email protected]...
> ...is regressing by the hour. And all along I thought there was a separation of state and church
> in this country. Soon we'll have an army
of
> Baptist preachers calling us to prayer over loudspeakers spread across the land:
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/03/27/sprj.irq.fasting.ap/index.html
>
> Greg
>
> --
> "Destroy your safe and happy lives before it is too late, the battles we fought were long and
> hard, just not to be consumed by rock n' roll..." - The Mekons

First "Freedom Fries", now this, what a class act.. What can we throw in the

Chris

G.T. wrote:
> ...is regressing by the hour. And all along I thought there was a separation of state and church
> in this country. Soon we'll have an army of Baptist preachers calling us to prayer over
> loudspeakers spread across the land:
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/03/27/sprj.irq.fasting.ap/index.html

That's no joke. We've already got some Christians who insist on their right to shine a great
big freakin' spotlight beam (like those ones they use when they open a new car dealership),
straight up into the sky every night. Like god won't know where to find them otherwise. At
least our city government had the cojones to say no to them when they requested a zoning
variance to build a 70 foot tall "prayer tower" in a residential area that restricts
buildings to 2 stories tall. Their justification? They were planning to man the tower 24
hours a day, and at least some of that time would be devoted to "praying for the well being
of the city of St. Peters". Fortunately, neighbors got wind of the idea and were able to
show up at the city council meeting to express their displeasure at the idea of fanatics
looming in the sky above their houses and able to peer directly down into their yards, pools
and hot tubs despite their being surrounded by privacy fences, and never mind the butt-ugly
design of the proposed eye sore. These are the same yahoos that used to drive an old
firetruck through the subdivision on weekend mornings, sirens wailing, throwing candy off
the back of it and trying to recruit for their vacation bible school. They quit doing that,
though, after a person, who shall remain nameless, called the church and read them the riot
act for disturbing the peace, and for throwing candy into busy, dangerous streets for
children to chase, and didn't they thing that this might be exposing themselves to huge
potential liability?

Kathleen Still waiting for lightning to strike the Big Stupid Flashlight...

"G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:

>...is regressing by the hour. And all along I thought there was a separation of state and church in
>this country. Soon we'll have an army of Baptist preachers calling us to prayer over loudspeakers
>spread across the land:
>
>http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/03/27/sprj.irq.fasting.ap/index.html

I didn't see anything religion-specific in the article to get all worked up about.

Personally I find it hard to get too worked up over the fact that some people might be engaging in
prayer, fasting and humility. IME, all of the above are good things - and even if you don't believe
in prayer, you can substitute "reflection" or "meditation" and it still works.

If you've never fasted for a day or two, you might be surprised the clarity of thought it produces
(obviously, I'm not fasting now, huh?). ;-)

But what do I know? <--- attempt at humility. ;-)

I like the concept, and don't think anyone should get too worried about the government establishing
a "fasting patrol" taking photos as you leave McDonalds. This resolution is no more binding on
anyone than the ones that say "we support our troops". It's NOT a law, after all, and Slacker
cleared up your confusion about the "separation between church and state" which was never intended
to expunge any mention of religion from public life.

news:p[email protected]...
> ...is regressing by the hour. And all along I thought there was a separation of state and church
> in this country. Soon we'll have an army
of
> Baptist preachers calling us to prayer over loudspeakers spread across the land:
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/03/27/sprj.irq.fasting.ap/index.html
>
> Greg
>
> --
> "Destroy your safe and happy lives before it is too late, the battles we fought were long and
> hard, just not to be consumed by rock n' roll..." - The Mekons

Nobody ever promised Freedom FROM Religion. You have a Freedom OF Religion. Kind of like Bill
Wheeler and the SS crowd. I can't stop them from trying to convert me but they can't force me to
buy one!!!

Go express yourself.

Marty

news:p[email protected]...
> ...is regressing by the hour. And all along I thought there was a separation of state and church
> in this country. Soon we'll have an army
of
> Baptist preachers calling us to prayer over loudspeakers spread across the land:
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/03/27/sprj.irq.fasting.ap/index.html
>
> Greg
>
> --
> "Destroy your safe and happy lives before it is too late, the battles we fought were long and
> hard, just not to be consumed by rock n' roll..." - The Mekons

A typical response from someone opposed to faith in God. Are you going to throw the baby out with
the bath water! Sure there are religious freaks out there but your blasting religion in General and
specifically "Baptist" is offensive. I don't see any harm with our Leadership asking for a day of
fasting and prayer. I welcome it. I think it will be respected by other Nations as well as
Christians within our own Nation. If you haven't noticed the "Gray" in our society is getting more
black and white. Good and evil are becoming more distinguishable. Either "God" is or He isn't. One
can cop out with negative remarks such as yours or one can have faith and hope that we do have a
Supreme Being to guide us, our Nation in our time of need.

People are all warm and fuzzy until something tragic happens in their life. Soldiers will tell you
there are no atheists in fox holes. Faith and hope are the only thing that some people have. I'll go
a step further; If you think that religion is the cause of wars and evil then I believe we need to
look at what "god" we are serving. For those that serve the righteous God will reap good will. I
think we've seen the result of those that serve a false god such as the ones we are at war with. I
welcome a President and Leader who has the balls enough to lay his own job on the line to seek a
higher authority.

Come over from the dark side. You just might see the light.

Cleanbean Still Baptist in Texas Still Christian Still conservative Still riding

"John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> >...is regressing by the hour. And all along I thought there was a separation of state and church
>> >in this country. Soon we'll have an army
>of
>> >Baptist preachers calling us to prayer over loudspeakers spread across
>the
>> >land:
>> >
>> >http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/03/27/sprj.irq.fasting.ap/index.html
>>
>> I didn't see anything religion-specific in the article to get all worked up about.
>
>How about this one? http://baltimore.indymedia.org/newswire/display/3286/index.php

Doesn't have a thing to do with the resolution (or with facts, for that matter). If you're getting
your news and editorial input through sites like that, good luck discerning reality.

"Cleanbean" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
> > ...is regressing by the hour. And all along I thought there was a separation of state and church
> > in this country. Soon we'll have an army
> of
> > Baptist preachers calling us to prayer over loudspeakers spread across
the
> > land:
> >
> > http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/03/27/sprj.irq.fasting.ap/index.html
> >
> > Greg
> >
> > --
> > "Destroy your safe and happy lives before it is too late, the battles we fought were long and
> > hard, just not to be consumed by rock n' roll..." - The Mekons
>
> A typical response from someone opposed to faith in God. Are you going to throw the baby out with
> the bath water! Sure there are religious freaks
out
> there but your blasting religion in General and specifically "Baptist" is offensive. I don't see
> any harm with our Leadership asking for a day of fasting and prayer. I welcome it. I think it will
> be respected by other Nations as well as Christians within our own Nation. If you haven't
noticed
> the "Gray" in our society is getting more black and white. Good and evil are becoming more
> distinguishable. Either "God" is or He isn't. One can cop out with negative remarks such as yours
> or one can have faith and hope that we do have a Supreme Being to guide us, our Nation in our time
> of need.
>
> People are all warm and fuzzy until something tragic happens in their
life.
> Soldiers will tell you there are no atheists in fox holes. Faith and hope are the only thing that
> some people have. I'll go a step further; If you think that religion is the cause of wars and evil
> then I believe we need
> look at what "god" we are serving. For those that serve the righteous God will reap good will. I
> think we've seen the result of those that serve a false god such as the ones we are at war with. I
> welcome a President and Leader who has the balls enough to lay his own job on the line to seek a
> higher authority.
>
> Come over from the dark side. You just might see the light.
>
> Cleanbean Still Baptist in Texas Still Christian Still conservative Still riding

Still believing other peoples views instead of thinking for himself.

Mark Hickey wrote:
> "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>...is regressing by the hour. And all along I thought there was a separation of state and church
>>in this country. Soon we'll have an army of Baptist preachers calling us to prayer over
>>loudspeakers spread across the land:
>>
>>http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/03/27/sprj.irq.fasting.ap/index.html
>

> I didn't see anything religion-specific in the article to get all worked up about.

God is not religion-specific? How close-minded of you! Why didn't they stop at just having a day of
humility? Have you never heard of the tyranny of the majority, Mark? This is complete and utter
******** and has absolutely no place coming from government.

> Personally I find it hard to get too worked up over the fact that some people might be engaging in
> prayer, fasting and humility. IME, all of the above are good things - and even if you don't
> believe in prayer, you can substitute "reflection" or "meditation" and it still works.

Then why didn't they just say MEDITATION!?

> If you've never fasted for a day or two, you might be surprised the clarity of thought it produces
> (obviously, I'm not fasting now, huh?). ;-)

Then why didn't they just say FASTING!?

> But what do I know? <--- attempt at humility. ;-)
>
> I like the concept, and don't think anyone should get too worried about the government
> establishing a "fasting patrol" taking photos as you leave McDonalds. This resolution is no more
> binding on anyone than the ones that say "we support our troops". It's NOT a law, after all, and
> Slacker cleared up your confusion about the "separation between church and state" which was never
> intended to expunge any mention of religion from public life.

Law or not, you can bet there will be fanatics out there wondering why I'm not praying to Jesus and
they will use this "resolution" as law to harass
me. Separation of church and state my ass. It wasn't the Buddhists in Congress who catered to Bush
on this one.

Greg

Cleanbean wrote:
> "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:p[email protected]...
>
>>...is regressing by the hour. And all along I thought there was a separation of state and church
>>in this country. Soon we'll have an army
>
> of
>
>>Baptist preachers calling us to prayer over loudspeakers spread across the land:
>>
>>http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/03/27/sprj.irq.fasting.ap/index.html
>>
>>Greg
>>
> A typical response from someone opposed to faith in God.

No, it's a response from someone who doesn't want to be harassed by mindless religious bigots who
worship some imaginary idol named God.

> Are you going to throw the baby out with the bath water! Sure there are religious freaks out there
> but your blasting religion in General and specifically "Baptist" is offensive.

Adding up all the Baptist congregations in the USA they form the largest religious group. It's
called tyranny of the majority.

I don't see any harm with our Leadership asking for a day of
> fasting and prayer. I welcome it. I think it will be respected by other Nations as well as
> Christians within our own Nation. If you haven't noticed the "Gray" in our society is getting more
> black and white. Good and evil are becoming more distinguishable. Either "God" is or He isn't. One
> can cop out with negative remarks such as yours or one can have faith and hope that we do have a
> Supreme Being to guide us, our Nation in our time of need.

Why is it negative to think I have free will? Why does our Nation need guidance from an imaginary
being? Is this the 12th century?

> People are all warm and fuzzy until something tragic happens in their life. Soldiers will tell you
> there are no atheists in fox holes. Faith and hope are the only thing that some people have. I'll
> go a step further; If you think that religion is the cause of wars and evil then I believe we need
> to look at what "god" we are serving.

You mean that religion isn't the cause of all of our wars and evil?

> For those that serve the righteous God will reap good will.

How do you know that? Why hasn't God whispered in the ears of the Iraqui soldiers and have them lay
down their arms to say our soldiers?

> I think we've seen the result of those that serve a false god such as the ones we are at war with.

Yes, I see our dead soldiers. I guess they served a false god.

> I welcome a President and Leader who has the balls enough to lay his own job on the line to seek a
> higher authority.

A higher authority? Santa Claus? The Easter Bunny? The Illuminati?

> Come over from the dark side. You just might see the light.

There you go, I must be dark because I don't believe in myth and legend. Exactly the attitude that
this resolution encourages.

Greg

"spademan o---[) *" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Cleanbean" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "G.T." <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:p[email protected]...
> > > ...is regressing by the hour. And all along I thought there was a separation of state and
> > > church in this country. Soon we'll have an
army
> > of
> > > Baptist preachers calling us to prayer over loudspeakers spread across
> the
> > > land:

http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/03/27/sprj.irq.fasting.ap/index.html

> > > Greg
> > >
> > > --
> > > "Destroy your safe and happy lives before it is too late, the battles we fought were long and
> > > hard, just not to be consumed by rock n' roll..." - The Mekons
> >
> > A typical response from someone opposed to faith in God. Are you going
> > throw the baby out with the bath water! Sure there are religious freaks
> out
> > there but your blasting religion in General and specifically "Baptist"
is
> > offensive. I don't see any harm with our Leadership asking for a day of fasting and prayer. I
> > welcome it. I think it will be respected by
other
> > Nations as well as Christians within our own Nation. If you haven't
> noticed
> > the "Gray" in our society is getting more black and white. Good and
evil
> > are becoming more distinguishable. Either "God" is or He isn't. One
can
> > cop out with negative remarks such as yours or one can have faith and
hope
> > that we do have a Supreme Being to guide us, our Nation in our time of need.
> >
> > People are all warm and fuzzy until something tragic happens in their
> life.
> > Soldiers will tell you there are no atheists in fox holes. Faith and
hope
> > are the only thing that some people have. I'll go a step further; If
you
> > think that religion is the cause of wars and evil then I believe we need
> > look at what "god" we are serving. For those that serve the righteous
God
> > will reap good will. I think we've seen the result of those that serve a false god such as the
> > ones we are at war with. I welcome a President
and
> > Leader who has the balls enough to lay his own job on the line to seek a higher authority.
> >
> > Come over from the dark side. You just might see the light.
> >
> > Cleanbean Still Baptist in Texas Still Christian Still conservative Still riding
> >

> Still believing other peoples views instead of thinking for himself.

Wrong Spademan. No one coursed me into my faith. No one held a gun to my head and said you will
pray. It was a free choice of mine to believe. I chose to believe. I go against the grain in a group
like this. It is because I do think for myself and don't just go along with the "crowd".

Cleanbean

news:<[email protected]>...
> ...is regressing by the hour. And all along I thought there was a separation of state and church
> in this country. Soon we'll have an army of Baptist preachers calling us to prayer over
> loudspeakers spread across the land:
>
> http://www.cnn.com/2003/ALLPOLITICS/03/27/sprj.irq.fasting.ap/index.html
>
> Greg

These proclamations were quite commonplace in the first hundred years of our government. No one's
forcing you to participate . . . but you are invited. :)

Paladin

On Fri, 28 Mar 2003 16:23:32 GMT, G.T. wrote:

> God is not religion-specific? How close-minded of you! Why didn't they stop at just having a day
> of humility?

It makes me giggle when GW talks about "humility". He stumbled through a speech last fall about how
a powerful country must be "humble". This was before he called some other countries' leaders and
gave them the hard-line of "you're either for us or against us."

Pride - not humility - gets votes, you know.

> A typical response from someone opposed to faith in God. Are you going to throw the baby out with
> the bath water! Sure there are religious freaks
out
> there but your blasting religion in General and specifically "Baptist" is offensive. I don't see
> any harm with our Leadership asking for a day of fasting and prayer. I welcome it. I think it will
> be respected by other Nations as well as Christians within our own Nation. If you haven't
noticed
> the "Gray" in our society is getting more black and white. Good and evil are becoming more
> distinguishable. Either "God" is or He isn't. One can cop out with negative remarks such as yours
> or one can have faith and hope that we do have a Supreme Being to guide us, our Nation in our time
> of need.

And what of Iraq's "time of need"? Or does God hate them? Then why did he make them? It was all just
a cruel joke?

> People are all warm and fuzzy until something tragic happens in their
life.
> Soldiers will tell you there are no atheists in fox holes. Faith and hope are the only thing that
> some people have. I'll go a step further; If you think that religion is the cause of wars and evil
> then I believe we need
> look at what "god" we are serving. For those that serve the righteous God will reap good will. I
> think we've seen the result of those that serve a false god such as the ones we are at war with.

And this is what is scariest about people like you. You actually believe your God is the "right" one
and any other beliefs are "wrong" - to the point of justifying killing them for it. How conceited!

> Come over from the dark side. You just might see the light.

Open your eyes. Look at what's going on around you.