Our most dangerous bit of road.

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Simon Mason, Jun 27, 2003.

  1. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    It's a wonder I've only just found this local site, but it highlights some of our local dangerous
    cycling roads, starting with *the* most dangerous.

    http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/thebikezone/eastriding/springbank.html

    http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/thebikezone/eastriding/facilities1.html

    Also the excellent "Confessions of a cycling officer" lifts the lid on what goes on in those
    council meetings.

    http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/thebikezone/confessions/coaco.html

  2. Panda

    Panda Guest

    Simon Mason wrote:
    > It's a wonder I've only just found this local site, but it highlights some of our local dangerous
    > cycling roads, starting with *the* most dangerous.
    >
    > http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/thebikezone/eastriding/springbank.html
    >
    > http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/thebikezone/eastriding/facilities1.html
    >
    > Also the excellent "Confessions of a cycling officer" lifts the lid on what goes on in those
    > council meetings.
    >
    > http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/thebikezone/confessions/coaco.html

    i actually bined it there (springbank) the other friday in the rain. result was a truely impressive
    bruise! to make the day complete (i had already had a puncture) the woman in the car behind me
    rolled forward a little to see if i was ok and ran over my back wheel!

    panda

  3. Panda

    Panda Guest

    Simon Mason wrote:
    > It's a wonder I've only just found this local site, but it highlights some of our local dangerous
    > cycling roads, starting with *the* most dangerous.
    >
    > http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/thebikezone/eastriding/springbank.html
    >
    > http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/thebikezone/eastriding/facilities1.html
    >
    > Also the excellent "Confessions of a cycling officer" lifts the lid on what goes on in those
    > council meetings.
    >
    > http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/thebikezone/confessions/coaco.html

    um the most stupid example in these parts (and doesnt seem to be on the list) has got to be the
    cycle path ending in the middle of the road on kingston / willerby road.

    panda

  4. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] says...
    > Simon Mason wrote:
    > > It's a wonder I've only just found this local site, but it highlights some of our local
    > > dangerous cycling roads, starting with *the* most dangerous.
    > >
    > > http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/thebikezone/eastriding/springbank.html
    > >
    > > http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/thebikezone/eastriding/facilities1.html
    > >
    > > Also the excellent "Confessions of a cycling officer" lifts the lid on what goes on in those
    > > council meetings.
    > >
    > > http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/thebikezone/confessions/coaco.html
    >
    > i actually bined it there (springbank) the other friday in the rain. result was a truely
    > impressive bruise! to make the day complete (i had already had a puncture) the woman in the car
    > behind me rolled forward a little to see if i was ok and ran over my back wheel!

    Rolled forward a little? Could she not be arsed to get out of the car to check? I wonder when we'll
    have the first house designed for car users so they don't have get off their backsides at all. Drive
    the things straight into the house, park up and watch TV, microwave and fridge at car window height.
    Recline the seat when it's time for bed.

    Colin

  5. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "panda" <[email protected]> wrote in message >
    > i actually bined it there (springbank) the other friday in the rain.
    result
    > was a truely impressive bruise! to make the day complete (i had already
    had
    > a puncture) the woman in the car behind me rolled forward a little to see
    if
    > i was ok and ran over my back wheel!

    I hope you reported the incident like the bloke said, then maybe it will get sorted out sometime
    this century. Simon

  6. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    > I wonder when we'll have the first house designed for car users so they don't have get off their
    > backsides at all.

    Don't be silly. That's what the Segway is for.

    --
    Guy
    ===

    http://www.chapmancentral.com

  7. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    > Rolled forward a little? Could she not be arsed to get out of the car to check? I wonder when
    > we'll have the first house designed for car users so they don't have get off their backsides at
    > all. Drive the things straight into the house, park up and watch TV, microwave and fridge at car
    > window height. Recline the seat when it's time for bed.

    Car drivers now park as near to the shop doorway as possible, then pull the handbrake up with a
    loud grating noise 'cos they can't be bothered to push the button in, leave the engine running as
    that involves turning a key and then waddle off for a pack of cigs.

    It'll all end like those 50's Sci-Fi films when humans just end up as brains in tanks of fluid with
    wires coming out of them.

    Simon

  8. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > "Colin Blackburn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > I wonder when we'll have the first house designed for car users so they don't have get off their
    > > backsides at all.
    >
    > Don't be silly. That's what the Segway is for.

    Only when they fit a seat to a Segway, standing up is hard work you know.

    Colin

  9. Ian

    Ian Guest

    Simon Mason must be edykated coz e writed:

    > "Colin Blackburn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >

    >> Rolled forward a little? Could she not be arsed to get out of the car to check? I wonder when
    >> we'll have the first house designed for car users so they don't have get off their backsides at
    >> all. Drive the things straight into the house, park up and watch TV, microwave and fridge at car
    >> window height. Recline the seat when it's time for bed.
    >
    > Car drivers now park as near to the shop doorway as possible, then pull the handbrake up with a
    > loud grating noise 'cos they can't be bothered to push the button in, leave the engine running as
    > that involves turning a key and then waddle off for a pack of cigs.
    >
    > It'll all end like those 50's Sci-Fi films when humans just end up as brains in tanks of fluid
    > with wires coming out of them.
    >
    > Simon

    Not with Mr. Smith, his will be an empty tank with wires coming out of it.

    Ian

  10. "Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote: ( Car drivers now park as near to the shop
    doorway as possible, then pull the ) handbrake up with a loud grating noise 'cos they can't be
    bothered to push ( the button in, leave the engine running as that involves turning a key and ) then
    waddle off for a pack of cigs.

    I remember, in the early sixties, a friend's father getting a ticking off from the village policeman
    for leaving the engine running while he nipped into a newsagent's for a pack of fags. (His only
    excuse was that the car had no starter motor.) It must have made a deep impression on me: I think
    what made the impression was how embarrassed he was to be caught doing something like that in front
    of his son and myself.

  11. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

  12. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...

    > "Colin Blackburn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >

    > > Rolled forward a little? Could she not be arsed to get out of the car to check? I wonder when
    > > we'll have the first house designed for car users so they don't have get off their backsides at
    > > all. Drive the things straight into the house, park up and watch TV, microwave and fridge at car
    > > window height. Recline the seat when it's time for bed.
    >
    > Car drivers now park as near to the shop doorway as possible, then pull the handbrake up with a
    > loud grating noise 'cos they can't be bothered to push the button in, leave the engine running as
    > that involves turning a key and then waddle off for a pack of cigs.
    >
    > It'll all end like those 50's Sci-Fi films when humans just end up as brains in tanks of fluid
    > with wires coming out of them.

    Davros on a Segway?

    At a supermarket I use the parking spaces for disabled car-users happen to be right next to the wall
    with the cash points. Big mistake. There is rarely a car there with either and orange badge or a
    supermarket permit. They are drop-in spaces for people too lazy to walk another 20 yards.

    Colin

  13. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    > At a supermarket I use the parking spaces for disabled car-users happen to be right next to the
    > wall with the cash points. Big mistake. There is rarely a car there with either and orange badge
    > or a supermarket permit. They are drop-in spaces for people too lazy to walk another 20 yards.

    Our local Asda has a device which if you park on a detector a very loud voice says" These parking
    spaces are for the use of disabled drivers only, are you sure you are entitled to park here?". I've
    seen a few red faced people sheepishly leave their cars to the amusement of onlookers.

    Simon

  14. Panda

    Panda Guest

    Simon Mason wrote:
    > "panda" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> um the most stupid example in these parts (and doesnt seem to be on the list) has got to be the
    >> cycle path ending in the middle of the road on kingston / willerby road.
    >
    > It's here:
    >
    > http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/thebikezone/confessions/coaco8.html
    >
    > Simon

    ah, indeed , although from the other direction it looks even sillier!

    panda

  15. Panda

    Panda Guest

    Colin Blackburn wrote:
    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] says...
    >> Simon Mason wrote:
    >>> It's a wonder I've only just found this local site, but it highlights some of our local
    >>> dangerous cycling roads, starting with *the* most dangerous.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/thebikezone/eastriding/springbank.html
    >>>
    >>> http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/thebikezone/eastriding/facilities1.html
    >>>
    >>> Also the excellent "Confessions of a cycling officer" lifts the lid on what goes on in those
    >>> council meetings.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/thebikezone/confessions/coaco.html
    >>
    >> i actually bined it there (springbank) the other friday in the rain. result was a truely
    >> impressive bruise! to make the day complete (i had already had a puncture) the woman in the car
    >> behind me rolled forward a little to see if i was ok and ran over my back wheel!
    >
    > Rolled forward a little? Could she not be arsed to get out of the car to check? I wonder when
    > we'll have the first house designed for car users so they don't have get off their backsides at
    > all. Drive the things straight into the house, park up and watch TV, microwave and fridge at car
    > window height. Recline the seat when it's time for bed.
    >
    > Colin

    to be fair to her, i think getting out to see me in the flow of traffic would have been difficult,
    and meant leaving her car in the middle of the tracks.

    panda

  16. Tim Cain

    Tim Cain Guest

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > [email protected] says...
    > > Simon Mason wrote:
    > > > It's a wonder I've only just found this local site, but it highlights some of our local
    > > > dangerous cycling roads, starting with *the* most dangerous.
    > > >
    > > > http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/thebikezone/eastriding/springbank.html
    > > >
    > > > http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/thebikezone/eastriding/facilities1.html
    > > >
    > > > Also the excellent "Confessions of a cycling officer" lifts the lid on what goes on in those
    > > > council meetings.
    > > >
    > > > http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/thebikezone/confessions/coaco.html
    > >
    > > i actually bined it there (springbank) the other friday in the rain.
    result
    > > was a truely impressive bruise! to make the day complete (i had already
    had
    > > a puncture) the woman in the car behind me rolled forward a little to
    see if
    > > i was ok and ran over my back wheel!
    >
    > Rolled forward a little? Could she not be arsed to get out of the car to check? I wonder when
    > we'll have the first house designed for car users so they don't have get off their backsides at
    > all. Drive the things straight into the house, park up and watch TV, microwave and fridge at car
    > window height. Recline the seat when it's time for bed.

    Mohomes anybody? Read "Lanark" by Alasdair Gray if you don't know what I'm on about.

    Tim.

    ---

  17. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    > > Car drivers now park as near to the shop doorway as possible, then pull
    the
    > > handbrake up with a loud grating noise 'cos they can't be bothered to
    push
    > > the button in, leave the engine running as that involves turning a key
    and
    > > then waddle off for a pack of cigs.
    > >
    > > It'll all end like those 50's Sci-Fi films when humans just end up as
    brains
    > > in tanks of fluid with wires coming out of them.
    >
    > Davros on a Segway?

    I don't know -didn't Davros actually have to push some buttons and move levers to do stuff? Don't
    forget that car indicators have to be moved as well - Davros was a practically an athlete compared
    to some drivers.

  18. Congokid

    Congokid Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, panda
    <[email protected]> writes

    >i actually bined it there (springbank) the other friday in the rain. result was a truely impressive
    >bruise! to make the day complete (i had already had a puncture) the woman in the car behind me
    >rolled forward a little to see if i was ok and ran over my back wheel!

    Reminds me about the time a couple of years ago when I had a spill heading home just as I was
    entering Sloane Square in London. I was slowly easing my way through a gap between kerb and cars
    when my front wheel caught in a drain and over I went. The next thing I knew I was being nudged
    in the back by the front left wheel of the Smart car that had been waiting in the queue entering
    the square.

    Luckily the driver sensed an obstruction in her path (or maybe even saw me fall over) and got out of
    the car to see if I was all right.

    Left an impressive tyre tread mark across the back of my yellow Goretex jacket.

    --
    congokid Eating out in London? Read my tips... http://congokid.com

  19. Tim Hall

    Tim Hall Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 23:33:36 +0100, congokid <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Left an impressive tyre tread mark across the back of my yellow Goretex jacket.

    YAJimiHendrixAICM5Riffs.

    Tim In space no one can eat ice cream

  20. Ian Smith

    Ian Smith Guest

    On Sun, 29 Jun 2003, Tim Hall <[email protected]> wrote:

    > In space no one can eat ice cream

    Why not?

    regards, Ian SMith
    --