Our most dangerous bit of road.

Simon Mason

Guest
It's a wonder I've only just found this local site, but it highlights some of our local dangerous
cycling roads, starting with *the* most dangerous.

http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/thebikezone/eastriding/springbank.html

http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/thebikezone/eastriding/facilities1.html

Also the excellent "Confessions of a cycling officer" lifts the lid on what goes on in those
council meetings.

http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/thebikezone/confessions/coaco.html

Simon Mason wrote:
> It's a wonder I've only just found this local site, but it highlights some of our local dangerous
> cycling roads, starting with *the* most dangerous.
>
> http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/thebikezone/eastriding/springbank.html
>
> http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/thebikezone/eastriding/facilities1.html
>
> Also the excellent "Confessions of a cycling officer" lifts the lid on what goes on in those
> council meetings.
>
> http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/thebikezone/confessions/coaco.html

i actually bined it there (springbank) the other friday in the rain. result was a truely impressive
bruise! to make the day complete (i had already had a puncture) the woman in the car behind me
rolled forward a little to see if i was ok and ran over my back wheel!

panda

Simon Mason wrote:
> It's a wonder I've only just found this local site, but it highlights some of our local dangerous
> cycling roads, starting with *the* most dangerous.
>
> http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/thebikezone/eastriding/springbank.html
>
> http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/thebikezone/eastriding/facilities1.html
>
> Also the excellent "Confessions of a cycling officer" lifts the lid on what goes on in those
> council meetings.
>
> http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/thebikezone/confessions/coaco.html

um the most stupid example in these parts (and doesnt seem to be on the list) has got to be the
cycle path ending in the middle of the road on kingston / willerby road.

panda

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Simon Mason wrote:
> > It's a wonder I've only just found this local site, but it highlights some of our local
> > dangerous cycling roads, starting with *the* most dangerous.
> >
> > http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/thebikezone/eastriding/springbank.html
> >
> > http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/thebikezone/eastriding/facilities1.html
> >
> > Also the excellent "Confessions of a cycling officer" lifts the lid on what goes on in those
> > council meetings.
> >
> > http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/thebikezone/confessions/coaco.html
>
> i actually bined it there (springbank) the other friday in the rain. result was a truely
> impressive bruise! to make the day complete (i had already had a puncture) the woman in the car
> behind me rolled forward a little to see if i was ok and ran over my back wheel!

Rolled forward a little? Could she not be arsed to get out of the car to check? I wonder when we'll
have the first house designed for car users so they don't have get off their backsides at all. Drive
the things straight into the house, park up and watch TV, microwave and fridge at car window height.
Recline the seat when it's time for bed.

Colin

"panda" <[email protected]> wrote in message >
> i actually bined it there (springbank) the other friday in the rain.
result
> was a truely impressive bruise! to make the day complete (i had already
had
> a puncture) the woman in the car behind me rolled forward a little to see
if
> i was ok and ran over my back wheel!

I hope you reported the incident like the bloke said, then maybe it will get sorted out sometime
this century. Simon

> Rolled forward a little? Could she not be arsed to get out of the car to check? I wonder when
> we'll have the first house designed for car users so they don't have get off their backsides at
> all. Drive the things straight into the house, park up and watch TV, microwave and fridge at car
> window height. Recline the seat when it's time for bed.

Car drivers now park as near to the shop doorway as possible, then pull the handbrake up with a
loud grating noise 'cos they can't be bothered to push the button in, leave the engine running as
that involves turning a key and then waddle off for a pack of cigs.

It'll all end like those 50's Sci-Fi films when humans just end up as brains in tanks of fluid with
wires coming out of them.

Simon

Simon Mason must be edykated coz e writed:

> "Colin Blackburn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>

>> Rolled forward a little? Could she not be arsed to get out of the car to check? I wonder when
>> we'll have the first house designed for car users so they don't have get off their backsides at
>> all. Drive the things straight into the house, park up and watch TV, microwave and fridge at car
>> window height. Recline the seat when it's time for bed.
>
> Car drivers now park as near to the shop doorway as possible, then pull the handbrake up with a
> loud grating noise 'cos they can't be bothered to push the button in, leave the engine running as
> that involves turning a key and then waddle off for a pack of cigs.
>
> It'll all end like those 50's Sci-Fi films when humans just end up as brains in tanks of fluid
> with wires coming out of them.
>
> Simon

Not with Mr. Smith, his will be an empty tank with wires coming out of it.

Ian

"Simon Mason" <[email protected]> wrote: ( Car drivers now park as near to the shop
doorway as possible, then pull the ) handbrake up with a loud grating noise 'cos they can't be
bothered to push ( the button in, leave the engine running as that involves turning a key and ) then
waddle off for a pack of cigs.

I remember, in the early sixties, a friend's father getting a ticking off from the village policeman
for leaving the engine running while he nipped into a newsagent's for a pack of fags. (His only
excuse was that the car had no starter motor.) It must have made a deep impression on me: I think
what made the impression was how embarrassed he was to be caught doing something like that in front
of his son and myself.

> "Colin Blackburn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>

> > Rolled forward a little? Could she not be arsed to get out of the car to check? I wonder when
> > we'll have the first house designed for car users so they don't have get off their backsides at
> > all. Drive the things straight into the house, park up and watch TV, microwave and fridge at car
> > window height. Recline the seat when it's time for bed.
>
> Car drivers now park as near to the shop doorway as possible, then pull the handbrake up with a
> loud grating noise 'cos they can't be bothered to push the button in, leave the engine running as
> that involves turning a key and then waddle off for a pack of cigs.
>
> It'll all end like those 50's Sci-Fi films when humans just end up as brains in tanks of fluid
> with wires coming out of them.

Davros on a Segway?

At a supermarket I use the parking spaces for disabled car-users happen to be right next to the wall
with the cash points. Big mistake. There is rarely a car there with either and orange badge or a
supermarket permit. They are drop-in spaces for people too lazy to walk another 20 yards.

Colin

> At a supermarket I use the parking spaces for disabled car-users happen to be right next to the
> wall with the cash points. Big mistake. There is rarely a car there with either and orange badge
> or a supermarket permit. They are drop-in spaces for people too lazy to walk another 20 yards.

Our local Asda has a device which if you park on a detector a very loud voice says" These parking
spaces are for the use of disabled drivers only, are you sure you are entitled to park here?". I've
seen a few red faced people sheepishly leave their cars to the amusement of onlookers.

Simon

Colin Blackburn wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
>> Simon Mason wrote:
>>> It's a wonder I've only just found this local site, but it highlights some of our local
>>> dangerous cycling roads, starting with *the* most dangerous.
>>>
>>> http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/thebikezone/eastriding/springbank.html
>>>
>>> http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/thebikezone/eastriding/facilities1.html
>>>
>>> Also the excellent "Confessions of a cycling officer" lifts the lid on what goes on in those
>>> council meetings.
>>>
>>> http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/thebikezone/confessions/coaco.html
>>
>> i actually bined it there (springbank) the other friday in the rain. result was a truely
>> impressive bruise! to make the day complete (i had already had a puncture) the woman in the car
>> behind me rolled forward a little to see if i was ok and ran over my back wheel!
>
> Rolled forward a little? Could she not be arsed to get out of the car to check? I wonder when
> we'll have the first house designed for car users so they don't have get off their backsides at
> all. Drive the things straight into the house, park up and watch TV, microwave and fridge at car
> window height. Recline the seat when it's time for bed.
>
> Colin

to be fair to her, i think getting out to see me in the flow of traffic would have been difficult,
and meant leaving her car in the middle of the tracks.

panda

> In article <[email protected]>,
> [email protected] says...
> > Simon Mason wrote:
> > > It's a wonder I've only just found this local site, but it highlights some of our local
> > > dangerous cycling roads, starting with *the* most dangerous.
> > >
> > > http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/thebikezone/eastriding/springbank.html
> > >
> > > http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/thebikezone/eastriding/facilities1.html
> > >
> > > Also the excellent "Confessions of a cycling officer" lifts the lid on what goes on in those
> > > council meetings.
> > >
> > > http://www.thebikezone.org.uk/thebikezone/confessions/coaco.html
> >
> > i actually bined it there (springbank) the other friday in the rain.
result
> > was a truely impressive bruise! to make the day complete (i had already
had
> > a puncture) the woman in the car behind me rolled forward a little to
see if
> > i was ok and ran over my back wheel!
>
> Rolled forward a little? Could she not be arsed to get out of the car to check? I wonder when
> we'll have the first house designed for car users so they don't have get off their backsides at
> all. Drive the things straight into the house, park up and watch TV, microwave and fridge at car
> window height. Recline the seat when it's time for bed.

Mohomes anybody? Read "Lanark" by Alasdair Gray if you don't know what I'm on about.

Tim.

---

> > Car drivers now park as near to the shop doorway as possible, then pull
the
> > handbrake up with a loud grating noise 'cos they can't be bothered to
push
> > the button in, leave the engine running as that involves turning a key
and
> > then waddle off for a pack of cigs.
> >
> > It'll all end like those 50's Sci-Fi films when humans just end up as
brains
> > in tanks of fluid with wires coming out of them.
>
> Davros on a Segway?

I don't know -didn't Davros actually have to push some buttons and move levers to do stuff? Don't
forget that car indicators have to be moved as well - Davros was a practically an athlete compared
to some drivers.

In article <[email protected]>, panda
<[email protected]> writes

>i actually bined it there (springbank) the other friday in the rain. result was a truely impressive
>bruise! to make the day complete (i had already had a puncture) the woman in the car behind me
>rolled forward a little to see if i was ok and ran over my back wheel!

Reminds me about the time a couple of years ago when I had a spill heading home just as I was
entering Sloane Square in London. I was slowly easing my way through a gap between kerb and cars
when my front wheel caught in a drain and over I went. The next thing I knew I was being nudged
in the back by the front left wheel of the Smart car that had been waiting in the queue entering
the square.

Luckily the driver sensed an obstruction in her path (or maybe even saw me fall over) and got out of
the car to see if I was all right.

Left an impressive tyre tread mark across the back of my yellow Goretex jacket.

--
congokid Eating out in London? Read my tips... http://congokid.com

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 23:33:36 +0100, congokid <[email protected]> wrote:

>Left an impressive tyre tread mark across the back of my yellow Goretex jacket.

YAJimiHendrixAICM5Riffs.

Tim In space no one can eat ice cream

On Sun, 29 Jun 2003, Tim Hall <[email protected]> wrote:

> In space no one can eat ice cream

Why not?

regards, Ian SMith
--