Our "new" Fujis

robn311

Jul 17, 2011
I am fairly new to cycling but have really taken to the sport. Like many, my first bike was a comfort hybrid. I love it and use it all the time to commute to school/work and cruise around, but it's really heavy, and I wanted something a little sportier and quicker. So I decided that I wanted to get a decent, inexpensive, older road-style bike to (1) have for fitness and slightly longer-ish rides than I take on my hybrid and (2) figure out if I like drop-bars and longer, faster rides before I spend a lot of money on a fancy new bike. So I've been perusing Craigslist for older used bikes, and my girlfriend and I came across 2 1980s Fuji bikes on Craigslist. We ended up purchasing both of them, a 1986(I think) Fuji Regis and a 1980/81 (again, I think) Monterey. I know they're both low-end bikes, but they are in really great shape and were each under $100. Mine (the Regis) is ready to go, all original except the pedals. The Monterey is all original, has a great frame, just needs a little tune up and some air in the tires. Anyways, we're both really excited. I haven't done anything to these bikes yet. I would like to give them a nice wax...will regular car wax work? Also, there are a couple tiny specks of rust on the frame of the Regis...any way to get this off without completely jacking up the paint? If anyone has any thoughts on these bikes (good or bad) or any suggestions for upgrades/alterations/etc, please let me know! Thanks!
Rob
p.s. Since taking these pics, I have flipped the skewer in the front wheel; it's backwards in the photos!

Personally, if it's 'just a few specs" of rust, I'd likely bump'em with the tip of a slightly larger drill bit to remove that, then bump'em again with the tip of a paint pen. Operative word here is "bump" meaning barely touch them just enough to remove the rust.. Of course, if it's not just a dot, but rather a small area, you'll have to consider sandpaper, primer, etc., and this is the area of others. I'm not too picky about mine as long as it's clean enough to not leave greasy crud all over everything it touches. I may have to touch up one of the weep holes on my front fork in this manner soon, but my bike is an '84.

I think you got too good of a deal, and these machines will be real nice rides for you. I also think you're gonna' love those brake levers while riding on flats, despite some folks thinking they're "unsafe". Real nice, also! The only suggestion I'd make is that if you feel vibration, shudders, or something like bumpiness while riding over 20mph, you should remove those reflectors in the spokes. They will un-balance your wheels, causing shimmies while riding faster. Finally, you're gonna' love those fenders if you get caught in the rain!

As for upgrades....maybe a double crank up front with a very low gear on it. Perhaps a 30/48 or something similar? This is only if you need the help on hills. Enjoy, and thanks for sharing!

You could dab some WD40 on the rust and let dry. Repeat a few times. WD40 will slow or stop the rust and is a good moisture barrier. Always nice to see people pick up cycling again!