Our (USA) military kicks ass!!!

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Slacker, Apr 2, 2003.

  1. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    http://www.pbase.com/image/15035624/small there she is being carried off to safety.

    Rescued PoW arrives in Germany From correspondents at Ramstein Air Base, Germany April 03, 2003

    FORMER PoW Jessica Lynch has arrived at an air base in Germany after her dramatic rescue by US
    special forces in Iraq.

    The US Army Private was flown into Ramstein Air Base on a C-17 transport plane for treatment at a US
    military medical centre this morning (AEST).

    Four medics carried Lynch on a stretcher from the back of the plane and lifted her into a green
    military ambulance.

    She was then driven under police escort to the Landstuhl Regional Medical Centre about 4kms away.

    She will be treated for combat wounds suffered during her capture by Iraqi forces.

    Landstuhl spokesman Norris Jones said she would be examined immediately, but that no information
    would be released about her condition.

    US officials in Kuwait, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Lynch was believed to have broken
    legs, a broken arm and at least one gunshot wound.

    Lynch was accompanied by 13 crew and medical personnel on the flight from Kuwait, said Major Mike
    Young, a spokesman for the 86th Airlift Wing. She was the only injured soldier aboard the plane.

    The 19-year-old supply clerk was rescued by US special operations forces who slipped behind enemy
    lines and seized her from an Iraqi hospital.

    She was captured by the Iraqis more than a week ago after her maintenance unit made a wrong turn and
    was ambushed in Nasiriyah.

    Twelve other members of her unit were also feared captured, and five of them have been officially
    listed as PoWs.

    Eleven bodies, some believed to be Americans, were found when Lynch was rescued, but their
    identities have not been confirmed.

    Agence France-Presse

    --
    Slacker

    Tags:

  2. Westie

    Westie Guest

    > http://www.pbase.com/image/15035624/small there she is being carried off
    to safety.

    > Rescued PoW arrives in Germany From correspondents at Ramstein Air Base, Germany April 03, 2003
    >
    > FORMER PoW Jessica Lynch has arrived at an air base in Germany after her
    dramatic rescue by US special forces in Iraq.

    > The US Army Private was flown into Ramstein Air Base on a C-17 transport
    plane for treatment at a US military medical centre this
    > morning (AEST).
    >
    > Four medics carried Lynch on a stretcher from the back of the plane and
    lifted her into a green military ambulance.

    > She was then driven under police escort to the Landstuhl Regional Medical
    Centre about 4kms away.

    > She will be treated for combat wounds suffered during her capture by Iraqi
    forces.

    > Landstuhl spokesman Norris Jones said she would be examined immediately,
    but that no information would be released about her
    > condition.
    >
    > US officials in Kuwait, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Lynch was
    believed to have broken legs, a broken arm and at least
    > one gunshot wound.
    >
    > Lynch was accompanied by 13 crew and medical personnel on the flight from
    Kuwait, said Major Mike Young, a spokesman for the 86th
    > Airlift Wing. She was the only injured soldier aboard the plane.
    >
    > The 19-year-old supply clerk was rescued by US special operations forces
    who slipped behind enemy lines and seized her from an Iraqi
    > hospital.
    >
    > She was captured by the Iraqis more than a week ago after her maintenance
    unit made a wrong turn and was ambushed in Nasiriyah.

    > Twelve other members of her unit were also feared captured, and five of
    them have been officially listed as PoWs.

    > Eleven bodies, some believed to be Americans, were found when Lynch was
    rescued, but their identities have not been confirmed.

    > Agence France-Presse
    >

    > --
    > Slacker

    It's nice that she's been rescued. The US needed a little something to celebrate after the
    unexpected turn that the war took (or should that just be SNAFU). Let's hope that it can gotten over
    with as soon as possible.
    --
    Westie

  3. Pete Jones

    Pete Jones Guest

  4. Simon

    Simon Guest

    "Pete Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]...
    | On Thu, 03 Apr 2003 02:53:33 GMT, "Slacker" <[email protected]> blathered:
    |
    | They're certainly good at kicking British ass.
    |

    | Pete
    | ----
    | http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

    Agree there. Once again more Uk troops killed by so called allied forces. I know that alot of the
    time accidents happen and technology misfires but this is happening all too often.

    I just want it all to be over soon. I head to Cyprus in May.

    Simon

  5. Paladin

    Paladin Guest

    > http://www.pbase.com/image/15035624/small there she is being carried off to safety.
    >

    > Rescued PoW arrives in Germany From correspondents at Ramstein Air Base, Germany April 03, 2003
    >
    > FORMER PoW Jessica Lynch has arrived at an air base in Germany after her dramatic rescue by US
    > special forces in Iraq.
    >
    > The US Army Private was flown into Ramstein Air Base on a C-17 transport plane for treatment at a
    > US military medical centre this morning (AEST).
    >
    > Four medics carried Lynch on a stretcher from the back of the plane and lifted her into a green
    > military ambulance.
    >
    > She was then driven under police escort to the Landstuhl Regional Medical Centre about 4kms away.
    >
    > She will be treated for combat wounds suffered during her capture by Iraqi forces.
    >
    > Landstuhl spokesman Norris Jones said she would be examined immediately, but that no information
    > would be released about her condition.
    >
    > US officials in Kuwait, speaking on condition of anonymity, said Lynch was believed to have broken
    > legs, a broken arm and at least one gunshot wound.
    >
    > Lynch was accompanied by 13 crew and medical personnel on the flight from Kuwait, said Major Mike
    > Young, a spokesman for the 86th Airlift Wing. She was the only injured soldier aboard the plane.
    >
    > The 19-year-old supply clerk was rescued by US special operations forces who slipped behind enemy
    > lines and seized her from an Iraqi hospital.
    >
    > She was captured by the Iraqis more than a week ago after her maintenance unit made a wrong turn
    > and was ambushed in Nasiriyah.
    >
    > Twelve other members of her unit were also feared captured, and five of them have been officially
    > listed as PoWs.
    >
    > Eleven bodies, some believed to be Americans, were found when Lynch was rescued, but their
    > identities have not been confirmed.
    >
    > Agence France-Presse

    Yep, makes you proud. Good thing the take-down and extraction weren't being video-taped by Ted
    Koppel, Dan Rather or Benedict Arnett. You'd probably not see a PC-approved etiquette of engagement.
    "Knock-knock! Who's there? Seal Team. Abdul, you order seal team? Sea-World visit Iraq! No? 72
    virgin camels, get ready, here we come!"

    Paladin

  6. Andyc

    Andyc Guest

  7. Simon

    Simon Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | Go to the Med in May anyway. Life must be lived so live it up.
    |
    | Fire up MTB 03

    I shall, but cant if they cancel flights. I dont think it will come to that.

    Simon....least my GPS is working well now.

  8. Pete Jones

    Pete Jones Guest

    Experts with newscaster on CNN 24th March: 3 Yank experts including a former 2-star general from
    Delta Force, 1 ex-SAS (British), and the network's anchor.

    <Footage of Iraqis giving themselves up>

    Anchor: We have no verification as of yet if they are British or American troops taking these POWs.

    Yank 1: Only Americans wear boots like that, they're American.

    Yank 2: I agree, and they appear to have American camouflage jackets.

    Yank 3 (Delta Force bloke): I'm not so sure, there's not enough up-close detail to tell 100%.
    We'd need some close images to tell make of boots and jackets and maybe the shape of their
    kevlar headgear.

    Ex SAS man: Call yourselves experts? Since when did US forces use an SA80 as a standard issue rifle?
    Their PMs can be bought, as can boots, so you're chasing rainbows if you want to identify them from
    their clothes.

    Anchor: I think you're right.

    Ex SAS man: Course I'm bloody right. Any one with half a brain and basic military training worth
    their salt should be able to identify a British soldier by his rifle. Not to mention the fact
    they're covering all points properly, not shouting "woo yeah" randomly, and haven't raised a flag in
    direct contravention of orders.

    <at this point one of the Yanks walks off stage tearing his mic off, and the anchor says "I think we
    can safely say the soldiers on your screen are British. Now for these messages".

    <fade to ad break>

    Pete
    ----
    http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

  9. > Yep, makes you proud. Good thing the take-down and extraction weren't being video-taped by Ted
    > Koppel, Dan Rather or Benedict Arnett. You'd probably not see a PC-approved etiquette of
    > engagement. "Knock-knock! Who's there? Seal Team. Abdul, you order seal team? Sea-World visit
    > Iraq! No? 72 virgin camels, get ready, here we come!"
    >
    > Paladin

    Actually you'd probably see that the hospital was in an area no longer controlled by the Iraqi
    military. These rescues generally don't involve Chuck Norris swinging into a top floor window and
    killing 50 enemy soldiers without taking a hit himself or injuring anyone else. Now the "healthy"
    POWs were probably able to travel all the way back to Baghdad, so lets hope they haven't been
    bombed yet.
    --
    _________________________

  10. > Yank 1: Only Americans wear boots like that, they're American.

    > Yank 2: I agree, and they appear to have American camouflage jackets.
    >
    > Yank 3 (Delta Force bloke): I'm not so sure, there's not enough up-close detail to tell 100%. We'd
    > need some close images to tell make of boots and jackets and maybe the shape of their kevlar
    > headgear.
    >
    > Ex SAS man: Call yourselves experts? Since when did US forces use an SA80 as a standard issue
    > rifle? Their PMs can be bought, as can boots, so you're chasing rainbows if you want to identify
    > them from their clothes.
    >
    > Anchor: I think you're right.
    >
    > Ex SAS man: Course I'm bloody right. Any one with half a brain and basic military training worth
    > their salt should be able to identify a British soldier by his rifle. Not to mention the fact
    > they're covering all points properly, not shouting "woo yeah" randomly, and haven't raised a flag
    > in direct contravention of orders.
    >
    > <at this point one of the Yanks walks off stage tearing his mic off, and the anchor says "I think
    > we can safely say the soldiers on your screen are British. Now for these messages".
    >
    > <fade to ad break>
    >

    > Pete
    > ----
    > http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

    I think those guys are using the same software that Patriot missles now run.
    --
    _________________________

  11. Pete Jones wrote:
    > <at this point one of the Yanks walks off stage tearing his mic off, and the anchor says "I think
    > we can safely say the soldiers on your screen are British. Now for these messages".

    LOL

    BTW. the US soldier was rescued from a hospital not a prison or something like that.

    I still think it's sad a peacefull solution was not allowed, and I have hard time not seeing US
    domestic politics, needs for oil and the links between Bush/Rumsfeld... and big us companies :-(

    Also all the crappy lies on TV is making me sick - fx. the news from some days ago that Iraq used
    SCUD missiles against Kuwait. That was picked up by the US military as proof of lies by Iraq and
    when it was later found that it was in fact silkworm and Alsamouth2 rockets it wasn't rectified in
    the same matter as the original reports.

    Now the US is kicking the Al Jazeara TV channel for being one side, but come on if idependent news
    are suppresed then how can we know the truth. If you only watch CNN/FOX/ABC... at least check the
    BBC and a few other none US news sources.

    Whatever I just hope it will all be over soon with as few casualties as possible. Oh, and the use of
    cluster bombs is not making the life after the war any safer - around 15% of the explosive charges
    in cluster bombs doesn't exploded but are left lying around afterwards like mines. Oh and some of
    them look like food aid packages :-(

    Kind regards

    Bruno

  12. Mark Hickey

    Mark Hickey Guest

    Chris Phillipo <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> Yep, makes you proud. Good thing the take-down and extraction weren't being video-taped by Ted
    >> Koppel, Dan Rather or Benedict Arnett. You'd probably not see a PC-approved etiquette of
    >> engagement. "Knock-knock! Who's there? Seal Team. Abdul, you order seal team? Sea-World visit
    >> Iraq! No? 72 virgin camels, get ready, here we come!"

    >Actually you'd probably see that the hospital was in an area no longer controlled by the Iraqi
    >military.

    Musta been the orderlies firing on the extraction team, huh? They change a few too many bedpans, and
    they're ready to take someone down I guess... ;-)

  13. Pete Jones

    Pete Jones Guest

    On Thu, 3 Apr 2003 06:32:58 +0000 (UTC), "Wilcox" <[email protected] top posted by email:

    >Yea we have kicked their ass beford! :}) ----- Original Message ----- From: "Pete Jones"
    ><[email protected]> Newsgroups: alt.mountain-bike Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2003 1:32 AM
    >Subject: Re: Our (USA) military kicks ass!!!
    >

    >> On Thu, 03 Apr 2003 02:53:33 GMT, "Slacker" <[email protected]> blathered:
    >>
    >> They're certainly good at kicking British ass.

    I'm glad you find it amusing. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2901515.stm

    Pete
    ----
    http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

  14. Simon

    Simon Guest

    "Pete Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | On Thu, 3 Apr 2003 06:32:58 +0000 (UTC), "Wilcox" <[email protected] top posted by email:
    |
    | >Yea we have kicked their ass beford! :}) ----- Original Message ----- From: "Pete Jones"
    | ><[email protected]> Newsgroups: alt.mountain-bike Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2003 1:32 AM
    | >Subject: Re: Our (USA) military kicks ass!!!
    | >

    | >> On Thu, 03 Apr 2003 02:53:33 GMT, "Slacker" <[email protected]> blathered:
    | >>
    | >> They're certainly good at kicking British ass.
    |
    | I'm glad you find it amusing. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2901515.stm
    |

    | Pete
    | ----
    | http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

    Its happening all over Iraq unfortunately. It appears to be something thats "in their nature". I
    just hope the pilot gets tried in a court of law and punished as he has in fact committed murder.

    Simon..........I am sure not all americans are like it though (just the texans :eek:))

  15. Reco Diver

    Reco Diver Guest

    "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>... <snip>

    > Oh, and the use of cluster bombs is not making the life after the war any safer - around 15% of
    > the explosive charges in cluster bombs doesn't exploded

    That would really depend on the subordinance wouldn't it? Which system has a 15% failure rate? What
    kind AP? AT? HE? What fuse type? Trip? Time dealy? Prox?

    > but are left lying around afterwards like mines.

    Some of the subordinance are mines. That said, most are cylindrical or spherical.

    > Oh and some of them look like food aid packages :-(

    Now that is just plain wrong. None of the current BLU- series sub's look like a food aid package. My
    guess is you have zero hours of experience with the systems, or you have know idea what "food aid
    packages" look like.

    Reco

  16. Jeremy

    Jeremy Guest

    Pete Jones <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > On Thu, 3 Apr 2003 06:32:58 +0000 (UTC), "Wilcox" <[email protected] top posted by email:
    >
    > >Yea we have kicked their ass beford! :}) ----- Original Message ----- From: "Pete Jones"
    > ><[email protected]> Newsgroups: alt.mountain-bike Sent: Thursday, April 03, 2003 1:32 AM
    > >Subject: Re: Our (USA) military kicks ass!!!
    > >

    > >> On Thu, 03 Apr 2003 02:53:33 GMT, "Slacker" <[email protected]> blathered:
    > >>
    > >> They're certainly good at kicking British ass.
    >
    > I'm glad you find it amusing. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/2901515.stm

    Maybe the idiot meant that they showed similar incompetence in GW-I ??

    J.

  17. Simon

    Simon Guest

    "Reco Diver" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>... <snip>

    | > Oh and some of them look like food aid packages :-(
    |
    | Now that is just plain wrong. None of the current BLU- series sub's look like a food aid package.
    | My guess is you have zero hours of experience with the systems, or you have know idea what "food
    | aid packages" look like.
    |

    | Reco

    Just been watching BBC news 24 at 2pm GMT and an american general has stated that food aid packages
    have been changed in colour so they are no longer mistaken,

    Sorry Reco looks like an american general has proved you wrong here.

    Simon...... just happy they had the sense to make the changes

  18. Simon

    Simon Guest

    "Reco Diver" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    | "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    | <snip>
    | <snip>
    | > Oh and some of them look like food aid packages :-(
    |
    | Now that is just plain wrong. None of the current BLU- series sub's look like a food aid package.
    | My guess is you have zero hours of experience with the systems, or you have know idea what "food
    | aid packages" look like.
    |

    | Reco

    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/1670891.stm

    Just for your info

    Simon

  19. Reco Diver

    Reco Diver Guest

    "[email protected]" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    Before anyone jumps on the "I saw it on T.V." bandwagon:

    Cluster Bombs Submunitions Incendiary CBU-2 BLU-26 Sadeye M36 TH-3 cluster CBU-3 BLU-38 M43 BZ
    cluster CBU-7 BLU-42 CBU-12 BLU-43 CBU-14 BLU-61 CBU-22 BLU-63 CBU-24 BLU-68 CBU-25 BLU-73 FAE I
    CBU-28 BLU-77 CBU-29 BLU-91 Gator AT CBU-30 BLU-92 Gator AP CBU-33 BLU-95 FAE-II CBU-34/42 BLU-96
    FAE-II CBU-38 BLU-97 CEB CBU-46 BLU-108 Skeet CBU-49 BLU-114 (graphite bomb) CBU-52 BLU-115 CBU-54
    CBU-55 CBU-58 CBU-59 Rockeye-II CBU-70 CBU-71 CBU-75 Sadeye CBU-78 Gator CBU-87 CEM CBU-89 Gator
    CBU-94 CBU-97 SFW MK20 Rockeye DAACM

    This list pretty much covers U.S. "cluster bombs" from Vietnam on up. .... Can someone point out
    that one that looks like a HDR ("food package")? The U.S. does not produce a submunition that looks
    like a big plastic bag that say "FOOD" on the outside.

    My guess it that they have some of the BLU-91B or BLU-92B mines. Probably from the CBU-89 Gator
    Mine. The CBU-89 is a 1,000-pound cluster munition containing antitank and antipersonnel mines. The
    BLU-91B or BLU-92B mines are at least close to the size of a food packet at ~ 5 3/4 x 5 x 2 1/2
    inches, but it still isn't packaged in a plastic bag.

    The confusion is probably from the color of the submunitions and older HDR's, more than the
    submunition actually "looking" like an HDR. The NATO color standardization for Ammunition gives:

    Yellow H.E. Brown L.E. Dark Red Riot Control Dark Violet Incapacitating Agent Silver Counter
    Measures Green Screening

    BTW HDR's are now being packaged in a sort of orange/red/brown bag. The Yellow bag is out of
    production (although it is probably still in use).

    This kind of reporting goes right along with the 1980's reporting that the Soviet forces were
    dropping clusters that looked like toys. The Russian PFM-1 and PFM-1S(Butterfly mines) have been in
    use for years and don't look like toys, they are a bit like the U.S. Dragontooth mines (anyone from
    the Vietnam era?).

    Of course every once in a while you hear about some kid picking up munitions from as far back as WWI
    .... guess to a child everything looks like a toy or a perhaps a "food packet".

    To say that a "cluster bomb looks like a food package (HDR)" is wrong. Some submunitions may be
    square. Some submunitions may have yellow markings. No submunition, currently produced, is packaged
    in a big yellow (orange/red/brown) plastic bag.

    Reco.

  20. L Hays

    L Hays Guest

    "Reco Diver" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "[email protected]" <[email protected]e.dk> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    <snip good concise information>

    > To say that a "cluster bomb looks like a food package (HDR)" is wrong. Some submunitions may be
    > square. Some submunitions may have yellow markings. No submunition, currently produced, is
    > packaged in a big yellow (orange/red/brown) plastic bag.
    >
    > Reco.

    Now available in attractive clear also, just like the TOTMs!

    Lance