Out of Commission for a bit

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Tcmedara, Feb 12, 2004.

  1. Tcmedara

    Tcmedara Guest

    Tomorrow's the big day. After six months of anticipation, the bad shoulder is going under the knife
    at 0900 tomorrow. They made me stop taking my anti-inflammatory drugs a week ago, so the pain has
    been, well, a real pain. I've been forced to resort to the Percoset in the evening.....hey, it's all
    under medical supervision, okay. Oxycodone is your friend.

    I'm really looking forward to the prospect of a better working shoulder, but I'm dreading the whole
    recovery/rehab. I hope they don't eff it up. I've no idea how long I'll be off the bike, but the
    weather is so wet and crappy around here that I'm not giving up much in the short term anyway. I
    just wonder what kinda shape I'll be in a month from now. I'm pretty sure I'll be fat(ter) and
    slow(er), but I'm sure I'll be thrilled just to get on the bike and ride. Can light XC be worked
    into a physical therapy regime?

    Just keep the vid's and pictures comin' guys, I'll have to live vicariously for a while....hell, I
    already do to some extent, but now that's gonna be all I got! Help a brutha out!

    Tom (soon to be on the mend)

    Tags:

  2. Slacker

    Slacker Guest

    tcmedara wrote:
    > Tomorrow's the big day. After six months of anticipation, the bad shoulder is going under the
    > knife at 0900 tomorrow. They made me stop taking my anti-inflammatory drugs a week ago, so the
    > pain has been, well, a real pain. I've been forced to resort to the Percoset in the
    > evening.....hey, it's all under medical supervision, okay. Oxycodone is your friend.
    >
    > I'm really looking forward to the prospect of a better working shoulder, but I'm dreading the
    > whole recovery/rehab. I hope they don't eff it up. I've no idea how long I'll be off the bike, but
    > the weather is so wet and crappy around here that I'm not giving up much in the short term anyway.
    > I just wonder what kinda shape I'll be in a month from now. I'm pretty sure I'll be fat(ter) and
    > slow(er), but I'm sure I'll be thrilled just to get on the bike and ride. Can light XC be worked
    > into a physical therapy regime?
    >
    > Just keep the vid's and pictures comin' guys, I'll have to live vicariously for a while....hell, I
    > already do to some extent, but now that's gonna be all I got! Help a brutha out!
    >
    > Tom (soon to be on the mend)

    Good luck with the surgery and God's speed on the recovery.
    --
    Slacker

  3. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    In news:[email protected],
    tcmedara <[email protected]> typed:
    > Tomorrow's the big day. After six months of anticipation, the bad shoulder is going under the
    > knife at 0900 tomorrow. They made me stop taking my anti-inflammatory drugs a week ago, so the
    > pain has been, well, a real pain. I've been forced to resort to the Percoset in the
    > evening.....hey, it's all under medical supervision, okay. Oxycodone is your friend.
    >
    > I'm really looking forward to the prospect of a better working shoulder, but I'm dreading the
    > whole recovery/rehab. I hope they don't eff it up. I've no idea how long I'll be off the bike, but
    > the weather is so wet and crappy around here that I'm not giving up much in the short term anyway.
    > I just wonder what kinda shape I'll be in a month from now. I'm pretty sure I'll be fat(ter) and
    > slow(er), but I'm sure I'll be thrilled just to get on the bike and ride. Can light XC be worked
    > into a physical therapy regime?
    >
    > Just keep the vid's and pictures comin' guys, I'll have to live vicariously for a while....hell, I
    > already do to some extent, but now that's gonna be all I got! Help a brutha out!
    >
    > Tom (soon to be on the mend)

    Hope it all goes well. Make sure you put an X on your shoulder so the work on the right one. ;^)

    Mike

  4. Bb

    Bb Guest

    On Thu, 12 Feb 2004 22:08:34 -0500, tcmedara wrote:
    > Tomorrow's the big day. After six months of anticipation, the bad shoulder is going under the
    > knife at 0900 tomorrow.

    Oy! Good luck, man.

  5. Tcmedara

    Tcmedara Guest

    Michael Dart <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Hope it all goes well. Make sure you put an X on your shoulder so the work on the right one. ;^)

    .....already dug out the Sharpie for that very purpose. My wife is going to put x's and arrows on
    both front and back, just so there's no confusion. I hope the doc's can take a joke!

    Tom

  6. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    In news:[email protected],
    tcmedara <[email protected]> typed:
    > Michael Dart <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> Hope it all goes well. Make sure you put an X on your shoulder so the work on the right one. ;^)
    >>

    > .....already dug out the Sharpie for that very purpose. My wife is going to put x's and arrows on
    > both front and back, just so there's no confusion. I hope the doc's can take a joke!
    >
    > Tom

    Actually they made me mark my elbow when I had the pins taken out. It's not a bad idea just don't go
    too crazy marking it up. An X will do.

    Mike

  7. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "Michael Dart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In news:[email protected], tcmedara <[email protected]> typed:
    > > Michael Dart <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >>
    > >> Hope it all goes well. Make sure you put an X on your shoulder so the work on the right
    > >> one. ;^)
    > >>

    > > .....already dug out the Sharpie for that very purpose. My wife is going to put x's and arrows
    > > on both front and back, just so there's no confusion. I hope the doc's can take a joke!
    > >
    > > Tom
    >
    > Actually they made me mark my elbow when I had the pins taken out. It's
    not
    > a bad idea just don't go too crazy marking it up. An X will do.
    >
    > Mike

    And mark where they're NOT going to have to make an incision. A big black x .5cm from the actual
    spot of incision might be really really annoying.

    Jon Bond

  8. S O R N I

    S O R N I Guest

    tcmedara wrote:
    > Tomorrow's the big day. After six months of anticipation, the bad shoulder is going under the
    > knife at 0900 tomorrow. {snip -- or,
    cut/slash!}

    BTDTX2...good luck! Arthro or full-on surgery? The recovery sucks, but it's mostly overcoming
    stiffness (and maybe scar tissue); gets better pretty quickly, really.

    Let us know how it goes.

    Bill "scoped in '95 (?); incised in '02" S.

  9. Tcmedara

    Tcmedara Guest

    S o r n i <[email protected]> wrote:
    > tcmedara wrote:
    >> Tomorrow's the big day. After six months of anticipation, the bad shoulder is going under the
    >> knife at 0900 tomorrow. {snip -- or, cut/slash!}
    >
    > BTDTX2...good luck! Arthro or full-on surgery? The recovery sucks, but it's mostly overcoming
    > stiffness (and maybe scar tissue); gets better pretty quickly, really.
    >
    > Let us know how it goes.
    >
    > Bill "scoped in '95 (?); incised in '02" S.

    Plan is just a scope, so I'm hoping that's all they need to do. How long were you off the bike?

    Tom (no solid foods allowed at this stage)

  10. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    "tcmedara" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Tomorrow's the big day. After six months of anticipation, the bad
    shoulder
    > is going under the knife at 0900 tomorrow. They made me stop taking my anti-inflammatory drugs a
    > week ago, so the pain has been, well, a real
    pain.
    > I've been forced to resort to the Percoset in the evening.....hey, it's
    all
    > under medical supervision, okay. Oxycodone is your friend.
    >
    > I'm really looking forward to the prospect of a better working shoulder,
    but
    > I'm dreading the whole recovery/rehab. I hope they don't eff it up. I've no idea how long I'll be
    > off the bike, but the weather is so wet and
    crappy
    > around here that I'm not giving up much in the short term anyway. I just wonder what kinda shape
    > I'll be in a month from now. I'm pretty sure I'll be fat(ter) and slow(er), but I'm sure I'll be
    > thrilled just to get on the bike and ride. Can light XC be worked into a physical therapy regime?
    >
    > Just keep the vid's and pictures comin' guys, I'll have to live
    vicariously
    > for a while....hell, I already do to some extent, but now that's gonna be all I got! Help a
    > brutha out!
    >
    > Tom (soon to be on the mend)

    Good luck! Heal up quick and get back on the bike :)

    - CA-G

    Can-Am Girls Kick Ass!

  11. Supabonbon

    Supabonbon Guest

    "tcmedara" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Tomorrow's the big day. After six months of anticipation, the bad shoulder is going under the
    > knife at 0900 tomorrow. They made me stop taking my anti-inflammatory drugs a week ago, so the
    > pain has been, well, a real pain. I've been forced to resort to the Percoset in the
    > evening.....hey, it's all under medical supervision, okay. Oxycodone is your friend.
    >
    > I'm really looking forward to the prospect of a better working shoulder, but I'm dreading the
    > whole recovery/rehab. I hope they don't eff it up. I've no idea how long I'll be off the bike, but
    > the weather is so wet and crappy around here that I'm not giving up much in the short term anyway.
    > I just wonder what kinda shape I'll be in a month from now. I'm pretty sure I'll be fat(ter) and
    > slow(er), but I'm sure I'll be thrilled just to get on the bike and ride. Can light XC be worked
    > into a physical therapy regime?
    >
    > Just keep the vid's and pictures comin' guys, I'll have to live vicariously for a while....hell, I
    > already do to some extent, but now that's gonna be all I got! Help a brutha out!
    >
    > Tom (soon to be on the mend)

    Good luck Tom.

    /s

  12. Pete Jones

    Pete Jones Guest

    On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 05:21:14 GMT, "Jon Bond"
    <[email protected]> blathered:

    >> > .....already dug out the Sharpie for that very purpose.

    They'll do that for you - or at least they did for me, a big arrow on the upper arm pointing down
    (to the bent, dented fore-arm with fingers swollen up like rugby balls). Guess that's become common
    practise since they whipped out that old fella's good kidney by mistake a couple of years ago.

    Pete
    ----
    http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

  13. Jon Bond

    Jon Bond Guest

    "Pete Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 05:21:14 GMT, "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> blathered:

    > They'll do that for you - or at least they did for me, a big arrow on the upper arm pointing
    > down (to the bent, dented fore-arm with fingers swollen up like rugby balls). Guess that's
    > become common practise since they whipped out that old fella's good kidney by mistake a couple
    > of years ago.
    >

    > Pete
    > ----
    > http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

    or just, what, last week? operated on the wrong side of a guy's brain.

    I mean, you don't have to be a brain surgeon... oh wait, I guess you do...

    Jon Bond

  14. Jd

    Jd Guest

    "tcmedara" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Tomorrow's the big day. After six months of anticipation, the bad shoulder is going under the
    > knife at 0900 tomorrow. They made me stop taking my anti-inflammatory drugs a week ago, so the
    > pain has been, well, a real pain. I've been forced to resort to the Percoset in the
    > evening.....hey, it's all under medical supervision, okay. Oxycodone is your friend.
    >
    > I'm really looking forward to the prospect of a better working shoulder, but I'm dreading the
    > whole recovery/rehab. I hope they don't eff it up. I've no idea how long I'll be off the bike, but
    > the weather is so wet and crappy around here that I'm not giving up much in the short term anyway.
    > I just wonder what kinda shape I'll be in a month from now. I'm pretty sure I'll be fat(ter) and
    > slow(er), but I'm sure I'll be thrilled just to get on the bike and ride. Can light XC be worked
    > into a physical therapy regime?
    >
    > Just keep the vid's and pictures comin' guys, I'll have to live vicariously for a while....hell, I
    > already do to some extent, but now that's gonna be all I got! Help a brutha out!
    >
    > Tom (soon to be on the mend)

    Heal up, dude.

    JD

  15. S O R N I

    S O R N I Guest

    tcmedara wrote:
    > S o r n i <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> tcmedara wrote:
    >>> Tomorrow's the big day. After six months of anticipation, the bad shoulder is going under the
    >>> knife at 0900 tomorrow. {snip -- or, cut/slash!}
    >>
    >> BTDTX2...good luck! Arthro or full-on surgery? The recovery sucks, but it's mostly overcoming
    >> stiffness (and maybe scar tissue); gets better pretty quickly, really.
    >>
    >> Let us know how it goes.
    >>
    >> Bill "scoped in '95 (?); incised in '02" S.
    >
    > Plan is just a scope, so I'm hoping that's all they need to do. How long were you off the bike?

    Didn't ride back in '95 (arthroscopic for an impingement), so hard to guess/remember.

    Went in for another 'scope in January '02, but doc found a badly torn rotator cuff so opened me up.
    Told me a minimum of three months; went on first ride 6 weeks to the day :)

    Didn't have a road bike back then; could have started earlier on that probably (although still
    taking a chance I guess).

    Assuming they stick to arthro for you, I'll bet you can start riding "easy" 3-4 weeks; back to
    regular shortly after.

    MattB, how soon were you back on bike/skis?

    Bill "hardest damned thing was removing the friggin' surgical dressing by myself...OUCH!!!" S.

  16. Pete Jones

    Pete Jones Guest

    On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 15:55:15 GMT, "Jon Bond"
    <[email protected]> blathered:

    >> They'll do that for you - or at least they did for me, a big arrow on the upper arm pointing
    >> down (to the bent, dented fore-arm with fingers swollen up like rugby balls). Guess that's
    >> become common practise since they whipped out that old fella's good kidney by mistake a couple
    >> of years ago.
    >
    >or just, what, last week? operated on the wrong side of a guy's brain.

    WHA-A-AT? Link, please!

    Pete
    ----

  17. tcmedara wrote:
    > Tomorrow's the big day. After six months of anticipation, the bad shoulder is going under the
    > knife at 0900 tomorrow. They made me

    Good luck Tom and don't let them scare you into passivity. Just keep exercising every other part of
    you. Don't need to be a couch potato just because the hospital people are expecting it.

    --
    Perre

  18. tcmedara wrote:

    > Tomorrow's the big day. After six months of anticipation, the bad shoulder is going under the
    > knife at 0900 tomorrow. They made me stop taking my anti-inflammatory drugs a week ago, so the
    > pain has been, well, a real pain. I've been forced to resort to the Percoset in the
    > evening.....hey, it's all under medical supervision, okay. Oxycodone is your friend.
    >
    > I'm really looking forward to the prospect of a better working shoulder, but I'm dreading the
    > whole recovery/rehab. I hope they don't eff it up. I've no idea how long I'll be off the bike, but
    > the weather is so wet and crappy around here that I'm not giving up much in the short term anyway.
    > I just wonder what kinda shape I'll be in a month from now. I'm pretty sure I'll be fat(ter) and
    > slow(er), but I'm sure I'll be thrilled just to get on the bike and ride. Can light XC be worked
    > into a physical therapy regime?
    >
    > Just keep the vid's and pictures comin' guys, I'll have to live vicariously for a while....hell, I
    > already do to some extent, but now that's gonna be all I got! Help a brutha out!
    >
    > Tom (soon to be on the mend)

    How does that go ... getting old sucks, but it is far better than the alternative! mend well.

    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove ".nospam" to reply)

  19. tcmedara wrote:

    > Michael Dart <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Hope it all goes well. Make sure you put an X on your shoulder so the work on the right one. ;^)
    >>

    > .....already dug out the Sharpie for that very purpose. My wife is going to put x's and arrows on
    > both front and back, just so there's no confusion. I hope the doc's can take a joke!
    >
    > Tom

    For more fun, you might want to put a red circle with a slash thur it on the wrong shoulder :)

    --
    Craig Brossman, Durango Colorado (remove ".nospam" to reply)

  20. Red_74

    Red_74 Guest