Out of Commission for a bit

Pete Jones wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 05:21:14 GMT, "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> blathered:

> They'll do that for you - or at least they did for me, a big arrow on the upper arm pointing
> down (to the bent, dented fore-arm with fingers swollen up like rugby balls). Guess that's
> become common practise since they whipped out that old fella's good kidney by mistake a couple
> of years ago.
>

> Pete
> ----
> http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

Yeah, they wrote "NO" on my good shoulder before I went in. Seemed to do the trick as they got the
correct one.

Matt

tcmedara wrote:
> Tomorrow's the big day.
<snip>

Hope you're not superstitious!

Good luck! Mine sucked for a bit, but now it's better. I still can't really ride but that's a
climate issue. I was Alpine skiing after 4 weeks, telemark skiing in 5 and Nordic in 6. I started
riding my townie at about week five too, but got disapproving looks from PT when I'd show up on a
snowy day on a bike. They just don't understand.

They ended up just cleaning up burs on the labrum and rotator cuff. If they had put stitches in
either it would have been longer. The impingement fix probably needed the most recovery time of the
three things they did. That procedure removes some bone, which is usually a six week recovery.

I've now graduated from PT and have one more doc visit coming up to be declared officially cured.
The joint feels much better. Sort of like the difference between going from a dirty bottom bracket
with mangled bearings to a brand new sealed cartridge. Smoooth!

Matt

"Pete Jones" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 13 Feb 2004 15:55:15 GMT, "Jon Bond" <[email protected]> blathered:

> >> They'll do that for you - or at least they did for me, a big arrow on the upper arm pointing
> >> down (to the bent, dented fore-arm with fingers swollen up like rugby balls). Guess that's
> >> become common practise since they whipped out that old fella's good kidney by mistake a couple
> >> of years ago.
> >
> >or just, what, last week? operated on the wrong side of a guy's brain.
>
> WHA-A-AT? Link, please!
>

> Pete
> ----
> http://www.btinternet.com/~peteajones/

http://cbsnewyork.com/national/MedicalMistake-aa/resources_news_html

I heard he's got half a mind to sue....

Jon Bond

On 2004-02-13, tcmedara penned:
> Tomorrow's the big day. After six months of anticipation, the bad shoulder is going under the
> knife at 0900 tomorrow. They made me stop taking my anti-inflammatory drugs a week ago, so the
> pain has been, well, a real pain. I've been forced to resort to the Percoset in the
> evening.....hey, it's all under medical supervision, okay. Oxycodone is your friend.
>
> I'm really looking forward to the prospect of a better working shoulder, but I'm dreading the
> whole recovery/rehab. I hope they don't eff it up. I've no idea how long I'll be off the bike, but
> the weather is so wet and crappy around here that I'm not giving up much in the short term anyway.
> I just wonder what kinda shape I'll be in a month from now. I'm pretty sure I'll be fat(ter) and
> slow(er), but I'm sure I'll be thrilled just to get on the bike and ride. Can light XC be worked
> into a physical therapy regime?
>
> Just keep the vid's and pictures comin' guys, I'll have to live vicariously for a while....hell, I
> already do to some extent, but now that's gonna be all I got! Help a brutha out!
>
> Tom (soon to be on the mend)

This is a bit late, but, hope it went well and hope you can get back on the bike soon!

--
monique

"tcmedara" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<wbXWb.5219$m43.1316@lakeread01>...
> Tomorrow's the big day.

snipped

> Just keep the vid's and pictures comin' guys, I'll have to live vicariously for a while....hell, I
> already do to some extent, but now that's gonna be all I got! Help a brutha out!
>
> Tom (soon to be on the mend)

Hang in there fella, it's never so bad when you look back.

cheers

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 09:30:47 -0700, "Monique Y. Herman"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On 2004-02-13, tcmedara penned:
>> Tomorrow's the big day. After six months of anticipation, the bad shoulder is going under the
>> knife at 0900 tomorrow. They made me stop taking my anti-inflammatory drugs a week ago, so the
>> pain has been, well, a real pain. I've been forced to resort to the Percoset in the
>> evening.....hey, it's all under medical supervision, okay. Oxycodone is your friend.
>>
>> I'm really looking forward to the prospect of a better working shoulder, but I'm dreading the
>> whole recovery/rehab. I hope they don't eff it up. I've no idea how long I'll be off the bike,
>> but the weather is so wet and crappy around here that I'm not giving up much in the short term
>> anyway. I just wonder what kinda shape I'll be in a month from now. I'm pretty sure I'll be
>> fat(ter) and slow(er), but I'm sure I'll be thrilled just to get on the bike and ride. Can light
>> XC be worked into a physical therapy regime?
>>
>> Just keep the vid's and pictures comin' guys, I'll have to live vicariously for a while....hell,
>> I already do to some extent, but now that's gonna be all I got! Help a brutha out!
>>
>> Tom (soon to be on the mend)
>>

>This is a bit late, but, hope it went well and hope you can get back on the bike soon!

Been there done that! Have had both my shoulder operated on. the right in 99 , Cleaned out the
shoulder socket, ground down some bone and Sewed my rotor cuff back togehter , was off teh bike
about 2 months , but it feels better than it had in 20 years .

this past september I had my left shoulder operated on, Cleaned out the socket and ground down the
bone , ( but this time they caught it before the cuff tore.) was only off the bike about a month.
the shoulder is not 100% yet , but it is better than before surgury , but it will get there.

Good luck !