Out of Darkness

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Bernie

The winter solstice is upon us. Days will increase in length. It's time to bring green plants
indoors and feast and dance! I wish the best of this season to all of you! I'll drink a glass for
fellow cyclists, wishing all of you good health and happiness. My very best regards, Bernie

Sun, 21 Dec 2003 17:46:15 -0800, <[email protected]>,
Bernie <[email protected]> wrote:

>The winter solstice is upon us. Days will increase in length. It's time to bring green plants
>indoors and feast and dance! I wish the best of this season to all of you! I'll drink a glass for
>fellow cyclists, wishing all of you good health and happiness. My very best regards, Bernie

gee, I thought this was about your new headlamp. Oh well, thanks for the well wishes.

Merry over-the-hump and happy on ya.
--
zk

In article <[email protected]>,
Bernie <[email protected]> writes:
> The winter solstice is upon us. Days will increase in length. It's
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yay!

> time to bring green plants indoors

and any brass monkeys in certain colder climes.

> and feast and dance! I wish the best of this season to all of you! I'll drink a glass for fellow
> cyclists, wishing all of you good health and happiness.

I'll join ya in that ('xcept mine's a cuppa coffee instead of a glass. But it's a delicious one.)

cheers, Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD Above address is just a spam midden. I'm really at: tkeats [curlicue] vcn
[point] bc [point] ca

Bernie <[email protected]> wrote:

> The winter solstice is upon us. Days will increase in length. It's time to bring green plants
> indoors and feast and dance! I wish the best of this season to all of you! I'll drink a glass for
> fellow cyclists, wishing all of you good health and happiness. My very best regards, Bernie

We made it.

I've been riding to work and back in the dark for a month or two now. I just kept telling myself it
would get better after the solstice. Technically it will, though of course there's still another
month or two before I get to see the sun again.

--
Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

In article <[email protected]>, bmcilvan@mouse- potato.com says...
> The winter solstice is upon us. Days will increase in length. It's time to bring green plants
> indoors and feast and dance! I wish the best of this season to all of you! I'll drink a glass for
> fellow cyclists, wishing all of you good health and happiness. My very best regards, Bernie

I've had my green plants indoors for about 6 weeks, every since the first frost was predicted.

--
Dave Kerber Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

REAL programmers write self-modifying code.

"Bernie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
I've been commuting to work since October 1 watching the days getting shorter and shorter and the
temperatur getting lower and lower. Fortunately for me as a cyclist we've had very little snow so
far and even though it has been very icy and slippery some days, I've had no problems to ride on my
studdied tires. Today it's -12C and some wind making it a bit on the cold side. Looking forward to
longer and warmer days here in central Norway. Xmas Greetings to all. Hjalmar

Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

>
> We made it.
>
> I've been riding to work and back in the dark for a month or two now. I just kept telling myself
> it would get better after the solstice. Technically it will, though of course there's still
> another month or two before I get to see the sun again.
>
Good news and bad news Ryan...first the good, the afternoons have been getting longer since Dec
13...and the bad, well the mornings will be getting shorter till early Jan, the 3rd or so usually.

Mike Latondresse <mikelat@no_spamshaw.ca> wrote:

> Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
>
> >
> > We made it.
> >
> > I've been riding to work and back in the dark for a month or two now. I just kept telling myself
> > it would get better after the solstice. Technically it will, though of course there's still
> > another month or two before I get to see the sun again.
> >
> Good news and bad news Ryan...first the good, the afternoons have been getting longer since Dec
> 13...and the bad, well the mornings will be getting shorter till early Jan, the 3rd or so usually.

Really?? Not having thought about it much, I just assumed that the gains in daylight were
symmetrical and even. What's going on here?

I'll go and have words with Newton,

--
Ryan Cousineau, [email protected] http://www.sfu.ca/~rcousine President, Fabrizio Mazzoleni Fan Club

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
>
> I'll go and have words with Newton,...

Newton recommended wearing your bicycle h*lm*t while sitting under apple trees carrying fruit.

Tom Sherman - 41 N, 90 W

Mon, 22 Dec 2003 18:26:31 -0800,
<[email protected]>, Ryan Cousineau
<[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> Mike Latondresse <mikelat@no_spamshaw.ca> wrote:
>
>> Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
>>
>> >
>> > We made it.
>> >
>> > I've been riding to work and back in the dark for a month or two now. I just kept telling
>> > myself it would get better after the solstice. Technically it will, though of course there's
>> > still another month or two before I get to see the sun again.
>> >
>> Good news and bad news Ryan...first the good, the afternoons have been getting longer since Dec
>> 13...and the bad, well the mornings will be getting shorter till early Jan, the 3rd or so
>> usually.
>
>Really?? Not having thought about it much, I just assumed that the gains in daylight were
>symmetrical and even. What's going on here?
>
>I'll go and have words with Newton,

Blame it on that Canadian guy, Sanford Fleming.

Greenwich Mean Time is based on his ideas for making the railway run.
--
zk

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Mike Latondresse <mikelat@no_spamshaw.ca> wrote:
>
> > Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
> >
> > >
> > > We made it.
> > >
> > > I've been riding to work and back in the dark for a month or two now. I just kept telling
> > > myself it would get better after the solstice. Technically it will, though of course there's
> > > still another month or two before I get to see the sun again.
> > >
> > Good news and bad news Ryan...first the good, the afternoons have been getting longer since Dec
> > 13...and the bad, well the mornings will be getting shorter till early Jan, the 3rd or so
> > usually.
>
> Really?? Not having thought about it much, I just assumed that the gains in daylight were
> symmetrical and even. What's going on here?

Nope, because of the earth getting further along its orbit, and the characteristics of spherical
geometry, sunrise and sunset do not move symmetrically around the solstices.

> I'll go and have words with Newton,

--
Dave Kerber Fight spam: remove the ns_ from the return address before replying!

REAL programmers write self-modifying code.

Ryan Cousineau wrote:

> I just assumed that the gains in daylight were symmetrical and even.

You can browse through a table of sunrise & sunset times in an almanac. It's not symmetrical.
Earliest sunset is around 12/6 where I am, and latest sunrise around the first week in January. But
even that varies with latitude.

> What's going on here?

Tricky three-dimensional geometry stuff.

Be easy on Newton. He was just the reporter. You'll have to complain to a Higher Authority.

--
Frank Krygowski [To reply, omit what's between "at" and "cc"]

Originally posted by Frkrygow
Ryan Cousineau wrote:

> I just assumed that the gains in daylight were symmetrical and even.

You can browse through a table of sunrise & sunset times in an almanac. It's not symmetrical.
Earliest sunset is around 12/6 where I am, and latest sunrise around the first week in January. But
even that varies with latitude.

> What's going on here?

Tricky three-dimensional geometry stuff.

Be easy on Newton. He was just the reporter. You'll have to complain to a Higher Authority.

--
Frank Krygowski [To reply, omit what's between "at" and "cc"]

It also depends on the local topography - we have hills to the west so sunsets are earlier than if it were flat. Sorry, I'm sure this won't tabulate very well but:

Date City Sunrise Sunset Hours of Sun
Earliest sunset of the year
6-Dec Diablo/Concord, CA 7:11 16:49 9:38

Least sunlight of the year
20-Dec Diablo/Concord, CA 7:21 16:52 9:31

Latest sunrise of the year
5-Jan Diablo/Concord, CA 7:25 17:03 9:38

Originally posted by Bernie
The winter solstice is upon us. Days will increase in length. It's time to bring green plants
indoors and feast and dance! I wish the best of this season to all of you! I'll drink a glass for
fellow cyclists, wishing all of you good health and happiness. My very best regards, Bernie

On the night before Christmas I am getting no saner
All of my rides are being done on the trainer.
Soon the weather will change and spring will appear
I'll be back on the road with sores on my rear
Take heart in the season and be of good cheer
Best regard to you all and the ones you hold dear.
Happy Holidays from The Smokies TN

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 20:00:39 -0800, Zoot Katz <[email protected]>
wrote:

>
>Blame it on that Canadian guy, Sanford Fleming.
>
>Greenwich Mean Time is based on his ideas for making the railway run.

Would it have taken too much additional effort for him to have invented Greenwich Nice Time?

Wed, 24 Dec 2003 15:55:53 -0600,
<[email protected]>, Zippy the Pinhead
<[email protected]> wrote:

>On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 20:00:39 -0800, Zoot Katz <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>
>>Blame it on that Canadian guy, Sanford Fleming.
>>
>>Greenwich Mean Time is based on his ideas for making the railway run.
>
>Would it have taken too much additional effort for him to have invented Greenwich Nice Time?

"Excuse me very much please sir, could you kindly tell me time or

--
zk

Zoot Katz <[email protected]> writted:
>"Excuse me very much please sir, could you kindly tell me time or

Just a minute, I've got it written down on a piece of paper.
--
To reply directly, expel `.edu'.

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 03:35:08 GMT, [email protected]
(Norman Wilson) wrote:

>>"Excuse me very much please sir, could you kindly tell me time
>Just a minute, I've got it written down on a piece of paper.

(c) T. A. Milligan

Guy
===
May contain traces of irony. Contents liable to settle after posting.
http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

Good answers, guys. Thanks for the enlightenment on whatchacallit - weather stuff.

Mark

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> Frkrygow wrote:
> > Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> > > I just assumed that the gains in daylight were symmetrical and even.
> > You can browse through a table of sunrise & sunset times in an almanac. It's not symmetrical.
> > Earliest sunset is around 12/6 where I am, and latest sunrise around the first week in
> > January. But even that varies with latitude.
> > > What's going on here?
> > Tricky three-dimensional geometry stuff.
> > > I'll go and have words with Newton,
> > Be easy on Newton. He was just the reporter. You'll have to complain to a Higher Authority.
> > --
> > Frank Krygowski [To reply, omit what's between "at" and "cc"]
>
>
>
> It also depends on the local topography - we have hills to the west so sunsets are earlier than if
> it were flat. Sorry, I'm sure this won't tabulate very well but:
>
> Date City Sunrise Sunset Hours of Sun Earliest sunset of the year 6-Dec Diablo/Concord, CA 7:11
> 16:49 9:38
>
> Least sunlight of the year 20-Dec Diablo/Concord, CA 7:21 16:52 9:31
>
> Latest sunrise of the year 5-Jan Diablo/Concord, CA 7:25 17:03 9:38
>
>
>
> --
>

Status
Not open for further replies.