out of saddle shifting

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dw, Jun 3, 2004.

  1. Dw

    Dw Guest

    when climbing out of the saddle, I find chain shifting to a
    smaller rear cog without input from the campy ergo shifter;
    pull it back up, and it stays put for seated pedaling, but
    slips back when I stand up; any thoughts?

    Tags:

  2. dw wrote:
    > when climbing out of the saddle, I find chain shifting to
    > a smaller rear cog without input from the campy ergo
    > shifter; pull it back up, and it stays put for seated
    > pedaling, but slips back when I stand up; any thoughts?

    Flexing frame, especially around the BB area.
    --
    Perre

  3. daveornee

    daveornee New Member

    Joined:
    Sep 18, 2003
    Messages:
    2,763
    Check the "autoshifting" article on Sheldon Brown's site:

    <http://sheldonbrown.com/autoshift.html>

    Sometimes fixed by cleaning the area & cable under the Bottom Bracket guide and/or applying a bit of grease on the cable where it passes through the guide.

    As indexing distances become closer the problem is magnified. Strong riders and/or flexible frames also magnify this.

  4. Harris

    Harris Guest

    dw <[email protected]> wrote:
    > when climbing out of the saddle, I find chain shifting to
    > a smaller rear cog without input from the campy ergo
    > shifter; pull it back up, and it stays put for seated
    > pedaling, but slips back when I stand up; any thoughts?

    Classic case of autoshifting. See:

    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/derailer-
    adjustment.html#autoshift

    Art Harris

  5. "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > dw wrote:
    > > when climbing out of the saddle, I find chain shifting
    > > to a smaller rear cog without input from the campy ergo
    > > shifter; pull it back up, and it stays put for seated
    > > pedaling, but slips back when I stand up; any thoughts?
    >
    > Flexing frame, especially around the BB area.

    Man, that's a lot of flex.

    Original poster: What bike/frame are you using, 8/9 or 10
    speed?

  6. Steve

    Steve Guest

    It can happen.......

    I saw Ken Carpenter (6'6" 240 World class trackie racer) go
    down hard in front of me when he was out of the saddle
    sprinting on a 60+ cm ti bike

    On 6/3/04 4:20 PM, in article
    [email protected], "Richard
    Adams" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Per Elmsäter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >> dw wrote:
    >>> when climbing out of the saddle, I find chain shifting
    >>> to a smaller rear cog without input from the campy ergo
    >>> shifter; pull it back up, and it stays put for seated
    >>> pedaling, but slips back when I stand up; any thoughts?
    >>
    >> Flexing frame, especially around the BB area.
    >
    > Man, that's a lot of flex.
    >
    > Original poster: What bike/frame are you using, 8/9 or
    > 10 speed?

  7. dvwlt-<< when climbing out of the saddle, I find chain
    shifting to a smaller rear cog without input from the campy
    ergo shifter; pull it back up, and it stays put for seated
    pedaling, but slips back when I stand up; any thoughts?
    >><BR><BR>

    Perhaps the flex of the frameset is stronger than the right
    ergo shift spring. In other words, perhaps you need a right
    ergo OVH, with new shift springs.

    Boulder, CO, 80302
    costruite eccezionalmente bene"

  8. Dw

    Dw Guest

    [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo ) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > dvwlt-<< when climbing out of the saddle, I find chain
    > shifting to a smaller rear cog without input from the
    > campy ergo shifter; pull it back up, and it stays put for
    > seated pedaling, but slips back when I stand up; any
    > thoughts? >><BR><BR>
    >
    > Perhaps the flex of the frameset is stronger than the
    > right ergo shift spring. In other words, perhaps you need
    > a right ergo OVH, with new shift springs.
    >
    > Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St.
    > Boulder, CO, 80302
    > (303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali
    > costruite eccezionalmente bene"

    Yes, I think this is right, and may be related to the fact
    that the sound of the right shifter recently went form an
    audible click to basically silent operation when changing to
    a bigger rear cog. Wondering whether the overhaul is hard to
    do, and what parts you would expect to need. Also, existing
    is '96 Chorus -- is it critical to match this?