Out of Shape Beginner Seeking advice

Aelice

Jun 3, 2006
Hello! I will try to go as much into depth of my situation, since I am very new to cycling, and personally do not have any friends who even like to walk. (Am I the only one who cringes when people complain about having to take a short walk from a corner of the parking lot to the store, or when people drive .25 miles to pick something up? :confused: )

I'm 21, 5'8, and a bit overweight at 220 pounds. I'm a bit out of shape, because I've grown accustomed to parking my butt in front of the computer 24/7, both at work and at home. I'm moving within 2 weeks to the next state, and my new job is 10 miles away from where I live. At this moment, I am tired of gas prices, inching along in traffic, etc. I am tempted to, rather than paying $1000 to repair my car for its new home in Arizona, to use that $1000 to invest in commuting to work on a road bicycle. My main concerns are theft (which many topics have covered and I'm not quite so worried now), and the fact that I have grown very out of shape. (I used to be really into sports/jogging, but in the past few years as a student, I slipped.)

I consider the health benefits and financial benefits substantial, BUT at the same time, 10 miles can be a bit long for someone of my size. :/

I also have no idea where to begin looking for a bike for someone of my size, though I will be dropping by a bike shop soon. I want to know what kind of things to ask them. I would only need to be carrying work clothes, water, bike repair supplies, etc.

I would really love some advice. :) I've been considering for a long time, but I know such a long commute in an unfamiliar area is kind of crazy. :/ Trying to weigh my options as much as I can.:eek:

Bumping topic to the top because it seems very genuine.

I'm not a commuter, but maybe someone else will chime in with some help.

I've recently started cycling too (albeit in the UK), and I'm getting into the swing of commuting the 3.5 miles to work. I'm a bit overweight too at 5'7" and 179lbs, so I'm taking it slow. You don't have to be a speed demon, and if you're getting out of breath, just stop for a minute and catch it again. If it takes you as long as your commute in the beginning, don't worry. You'll get quicker, and it'll get easier.

My new bike is a hybrid, a Dawes Sonoran, and it's treating me well. I think people round here recommend bikes like the Trek 7500 for commuting. Given your height, go for at least a 19" frame.

Couple of things that I've found:

1. Drink plenty of water. I learnt this the hard way. If you don't, you'll arrive in work with a killer dehydration headache.
2. Protective glasses. Grit, dust, you name it, it'll blind you.
3. Don't cycle too close to the sidewalk. Cars should have to pull away from you, not shoot by giving you mere inches of room as you plow into the kerb.
4. Get a puncture repair kit and a multi-tool, and carry a hand tyre pump with you. A track pump is better for home, but not so portable.
5. I haven't had to cycle in cold weather yet, given the time of year, but even slightly cooler days can sting. Mitts help.
6. Cycle helmet is completely up to you. There's voracious for and against arguments that you can find to help you decide. I don't wear one. Another commuter friend does.
7. Keep deodorant and a second change of clothes in the office just in case.

Enjoy :)

Aelice said:
Hello! I will try to go as much into depth of my situation, since I am very new to cycling, and personally do not have any friends who even like to walk. (Am I the only one who cringes when people complain about having to take a short walk from a corner of the parking lot to the store, or when people drive .25 miles to pick something up? :confused: )

I'm 21, 5'8, and a bit overweight at 220 pounds. I'm a bit out of shape, because I've grown accustomed to parking my butt in front of the computer 24/7, both at work and at home. I'm moving within 2 weeks to the next state, and my new job is 10 miles away from where I live. At this moment, I am tired of gas prices, inching along in traffic, etc. I am tempted to, rather than paying $1000 to repair my car for its new home in Arizona, to use that $1000 to invest in commuting to work on a road bicycle. My main concerns are theft (which many topics have covered and I'm not quite so worried now), and the fact that I have grown very out of shape. (I used to be really into sports/jogging, but in the past few years as a student, I slipped.)

I consider the health benefits and financial benefits substantial, BUT at the same time, 10 miles can be a bit long for someone of my size. :/

I also have no idea where to begin looking for a bike for someone of my size, though I will be dropping by a bike shop soon. I want to know what kind of things to ask them. I would only need to be carrying work clothes, water, bike repair supplies, etc.

I would really love some advice. :) I've been considering for a long time, but I know such a long commute in an unfamiliar area is kind of crazy. :/ Trying to weigh my options as much as I can.:eek:

You would be better off getting fit and losing some weight before you begin to commute on a bike. Walking and swimming and changing your eating habits would be a start. I am sure you could get some useful hints for a sensible exercise program from your family doctor.

Cycling is excellent exercise & you will be surprised at how fast you get better at it. 10 miles on a bike at first seems like a long way but it goes go by fast. It's like everything else in life, practice, practice practice. Cycling is addictive too!

Good thinking on riding to work for you new job. You are doing something good for you, good for the environment & who nows? You may just inspire some of your co-workers to join you.

Aelice said:

im also a beginner and obese.im sying i need to start of slowly into an exercise regimn.like 15 min at first.then 25 min.i saw on good morning america also that you supposed to start off slow.then increase it every 10th of a mile.another words,if you were riding 1mile,you would go 1 1/2 mile next time.that's how they explained it on good morning america.im also in front of the computer all day long.don't hardly do anything on it though.i read also.you pretty much get the picture.self-employed.i own a store online,not making any money though. im a fool.going to go to school for a real job though,before i sold avon.and blair.now im taking a break.

Aelice said:

Wow thats totally awesome!!! What a great attitude you have about it already before you've even started. Keep up the good attitude and that will get you a long way.

Like others have said before me, you don't need to ride flat chat to begin with. Just take things slowly at your own pace, stuff what anyone else thinks. You do improve quickly... and you'll be riding it quicker in no time.

Personally I started riding to work around 8 months ago and have lost 12 kgs (approx 27lbs). I was approx 176 lbs to start with. Its amazing how much better you feel. I've seen quite a few larger people on my commutes getting out there and giving it ago. And without fail... everytime I think "good on them for getting out there and doing something about it. It really inspires me.

i like riding a bike,ain't no dobt about that.but lately.i don't know.i haven't been one since i was a kid.i did buy me another one,but disn't get a chance to ride it.cause i moved where there was alot of traffic,and i try to avoid it as much as possible.anyway just thinking about it inspires me.

There are some specific things to be concerned about when starting to cycle and intending to do it seriously. First of all, some encouragement, ten miles will be effortless in no time so don't worry about that. The first thing you need to do is get a good bike and a light weight bike. Weight makes a huge difference to women. I've been going to bike shops for years. They universally sell women heavy bikes that don't fit well, because the sales people are kids and then are usually boys or men. They just assume you're not a serious biker. First of all get an eight or nine speed road bike or high end hybrid (road bike with a flat handlebar). A light weight bike that fits makes a huge difference. Don't buy a bike that weighs more than 21 pounds. Generally speaking the sales staff will try and sell you a bike thats too big; that's because a women's legs are relatively longer and their arms relatively shorter. Don't let them fit you by moving the saddle forward on the seatpost. Sitting on the bike with your shoes on, adjust the seatpost height so that you can spin the pedals comfortably with your heals on the pedals without losing the pedals or moving your hips side to side. That's the correct (neutral) height for the saddle. Put the saddle in the middle of the rails (neutral position). Now the clincher that will decide if the bike is right for you. Place your elbow against the front of the saddle and reach for the stem. The tip of you middle finger should fall at or just behind the center of the handlebar where it is held by the stem. Have the shop switch stems until this is correct or you'll be leaning too far forward and get neck, shoulder and back pain. You also want the handlebar at least the same height as the seat, not lower. Make sure the changes the shop makes are the same quality components; they ofter switch to heavier cheaper components. Specialized bikes tend to fit women quite well. They have a slightly shorter top tube relative to seat tube height. I'd start with them. All bikes are not equal; some will not fit women period.

that alot of stuff to remember.walmart dosent have that much of a selection of road bikes.im can afford anything else.and i want to ride now.or as soon as posible,what do suggest i do?

It's your money. Walmart is not a bike store. If you don't plan to succeed...you plan to fail. You need a bike that fits and a woman will simply not enjoy a bike heavier than 26 pounds no matter what shape she's in. You'll stop riding and thus have wasted the money you once had.

It's my strong opinion that if a woman is buying her first bike she should make the effort to have it fit properly and be as light as she can afford (less costs a lot more). I think one may be wasting hard earned money otherwise. One will simply lose interest in cycling if it's not fun to do and cycling with a heavy bike of Walmart heritage is not fun unless one is cycling on dead flat ground. If you already have a bike it's a moot point, but commuting to work with the right bike is great exercise and a lot of fun which can go on for years. If money is a serious limitation, a used bike from a bike shop may be just the thing. If you do your research, the Salvation Army sometimes has great bargains.:D

how much is a used bike from the bike shop?i wasnt going to cycle 10 miles with it.just 45 to 60 min around town?thank for the tip though.

My initial posting was meant for the person seeking advice for a commuting bike. To me that's serious cycling. If you only plan to cruise around local streets once or twice a week for 30-40 minutes, I really don't know what to tell you. I will just say again the lighter the better, and it must fit before you sit! Decide what type of bike you want; look at that type of bike new; then look around for a similar used one. A used bike in great shape runs about a third the price of a new one. A 2005 model should be 20-30% off this time of year. The Salvation Army has only one price for all used bikes; thus the potential for a rust-bucket or a terrific bike. :D

If you are riding for 45 - 60 mins around town, you will have ridden at least 10 miles. It is hard to pedal any slower than that!

sleepingbeauty1 said:
how much is a used bike from the bike shop?i wasnt going to cycle 10 miles with it.just 45 to 60 min around town?thank for the tip though.

You can also check local pawn shops. Sometimes they will get a decent bike. I bought a hybrid bike from my lbs but now I need a road bike. I should have saved my money on the hybrid & just invested in the road bike to start with. Live & learn.

60ish said:
My initial posting was meant for the person seeking advice for a commuting bike. To me that's serious cycling. If you only plan to cruise around local streets once or twice a week for 30-40 minutes, I really don't know what to tell you. I will just say again the lighter the better, and it must fit before you sit! Decide what type of bike you want; look at that type of bike new; then look around for a similar used one. A used bike in great shape runs about a third the price of a new one. A 2005 model should be 20-30% off this time of year. The Salvation Army has only one price for all used bikes; thus the potential for a rust-bucket or a terrific bike. :D

i was also think about commuting to work back and forth in the same area.and they sent me an e-mail after you first replied.they always sending me emails when you reply.

Hi

Can I suggest that you purchase an indoor bike as well? It is a good way to keep in the cycling mode when the weather is not too great, or you have too much to do to get out on a long cycle! I got a cheap one off the sales and wants in the local paper. It's great for winter ...

I managed to pick up a road bike at a vintage car rally for £20! After around a YEAR of searching. Cheap second-hand road bikes are like gold dust. :)

Keep at it ... I used to hate cycling and now I get such a buzz getting out there in the fresh air. :D