Out of shape -- or maybe not?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Claire Petersky, Feb 13, 2006.

  1. Friday the weather was beautiful. I got off early from work and decided to
    take a page out of Dane's book, and ride around the lake rather than across
    it.

    Going around either the top or the bottom means that your route is a big U.
    I decided to do the top. We had a strong wind from the south on Friday, so
    going around the top meant I got a tail wind at the start, and a headwind at
    the end. This is the opposite to what you want because the west side of the
    U is sheltered both by hillside and trees, and the east side is open. (Like
    this:
    http://spiralcage.com/Cycling/Commute/March2005/March2005-Pages/Image9.html)
    You don't get as good of a tailwind, and you get the worst of the headwind.
    But I picked going around the top because I wanted a flat route. Other than
    a little rise over Eastlake and a hill climb to our house from the end, it
    is a flat, flat ride

    I was shocked at how bad my time was. It's a little over 30 miles for me to
    ride from work to home via the top of the lake, and it took me 2.5 hours.
    That wouldn't be so shabby if it was hilly, but it wasn't. I was really
    struggling for the second half of the ride, and I felt my only excuse was
    the headwind. But 30 miles, come on, it isn't that far! And it was flat! I
    thought this was true evidence that I really have gone flabby over the
    winter, just commuting back and forth, and not doing any big rides.

    Saturday I had a sore throat. Sunday it was clear I had come down with a
    cold, and I felt miserable. So much for our tandem ride we had planned. (I'm
    doing better today.) What I was thinking this morning is that maybe I was
    already ill on Friday. I might have been asymptomatic, but fighting off the
    infection, and that could have slowed me down. Do you think? Or have I
    really gone soft over the winter, and I have some hard Spring training miles
    ahead of me?

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
    Sponsor me for the Big Climb! See: www.active.com/donate/cpetersky06

  2. > What I was thinking this morning is that maybe I was
    already ill on Friday.

    Yes, maam! That would do it for me.

    Hope you feel better.

  3. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    : Do you think? Or have I
    : really gone soft over the winter, and I have some hard Spring training
    miles
    : ahead of me?

    Assume that you have some hard spring training miles ahead of you. That
    way, in any case, you'll be the better for it!

    :)

    You probably were already ill and didn't realize it and you didn't ride as
    hard as you should have on the easy part.

  4. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 17:50:42 +0000, Claire Petersky wrote:

    > Friday the weather was beautiful. I got off early from work and decided
    > to take a page out of Dane's book, and ride around the lake rather than
    > across it.
    >
    > Going around either the top or the bottom means that your route is a big
    > U. I decided to do the top. We had a strong wind from the south on
    > Friday, so going around the top meant I got a tail wind at the start,
    > and a headwind at the end. This is the opposite to what you want because
    > the west side of the U is sheltered both by hillside and trees, and the
    > east side is open. (Like this:
    > http://spiralcage.com/Cycling/Commute/March2005/March2005-Pages/Image9.html)
    > You don't get as good of a tailwind, and you get the worst of the
    > headwind. But I picked going around the top because I wanted a flat
    > route. Other than a little rise over Eastlake and a hill climb to our
    > house from the end, it is a flat, flat ride
    >
    > I was shocked at how bad my time was. It's a little over 30 miles for me
    > to ride from work to home via the top of the lake, and it took me 2.5
    > hours. That wouldn't be so shabby if it was hilly, but it wasn't. I was
    > really struggling for the second half of the ride, and I felt my only
    > excuse was the headwind. But 30 miles, come on, it isn't that far! And
    > it was flat! I thought this was true evidence that I really have gone
    > flabby over the winter, just commuting back and forth, and not doing any
    > big rides.
    >
    > Saturday I had a sore throat. Sunday it was clear I had come down with a
    > cold, and I felt miserable. So much for our tandem ride we had planned.
    > (I'm doing better today.) What I was thinking this morning is that maybe
    > I was already ill on Friday. I might have been asymptomatic, but
    > fighting off the infection, and that could have slowed me down. Do you
    > think? Or have I really gone soft over the winter, and I have some hard
    > Spring training miles ahead of me?

    You may be a little out of shape or under the weather, but wind can really
    take a toll on your speed. It's not just slowing in a physical sense, but
    most riders find it demoralizing. So they're going slower to begin with,
    but then even slower than they should. I'll cheerfully climb anything,
    but I really dislike wind.

    We did a 30 miler last weekend, during a break in some stormy weather. The
    road back has some big rollers, but it's also upwind, and it was very
    gusty that day. In places where our speed is usually over 20 MPH, it was
    under 10 for miles and miles. Because of the gusts, there was a lot of
    accelerating then getting slammed. We had initially planned to do a few
    more miles and one more big climb, but by the time we got close to town
    everyone had had enough.

    Matt O.

  5. SlowRider

    SlowRider Guest

    I wouldn't worry about it too much. My average speed drops
    considerably when the wind is strong because there is roughly a
    90-degree swath where the wind helps and about 270 degrees where it
    slows you down.

    I went out on a really windy day a few weeks back (winds 25-30 with
    peak gusts near 50) and for the "fun" of it I went down a long,
    straight road with almost no traffic so I could test my bike handling
    skills against a stiff crosswind. My usual speed along this stretch is
    ~16-18 mph, but with a strong crosswind I was averaging closer to
    10-11.

    So, don't sweat it. From your other posts, I'd guess you're in pretty
    darned good shape.

    -JR

  6. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    [...]
    > Saturday I had a sore throat. Sunday it was clear I had come down with a
    > cold, and I felt miserable. So much for our tandem ride we had planned.
    > (I'm doing better today.) What I was thinking this morning is that maybe I
    > was already ill on Friday. I might have been asymptomatic, but fighting
    > off the infection, and that could have slowed me down. Do you think? Or
    > have I really gone soft over the winter, and I have some hard Spring
    > training miles ahead of me?

    God was punishing you for not staying at home and taking care of your
    husband and children like a good wife should. Why are you gadding about
    making a confounded nuisance of yourself. Instead of doing a bike ride, you
    should have been at home baking a cake and doing some crocheting. Jeez, why
    don't women know their place in life anymore!

    Regards,

    Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
    aka

  7. Dane Buson

    Dane Buson Guest

    Claire Petersky <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Saturday I had a sore throat. Sunday it was clear I had come down with a
    > cold, and I felt miserable. So much for our tandem ride we had planned. (I'm
    > doing better today.) What I was thinking this morning is that maybe I was
    > already ill on Friday. I might have been asymptomatic, but fighting off the
    > infection, and that could have slowed me down. Do you think? Or have I
    > really gone soft over the winter, and I have some hard Spring training miles
    > ahead of me?

    Entirely possible. Many time you are asymptomatic other than the life
    just being sllloooowly drained out of you. Sorry to hear you're sick,
    though it must be very fashionable since everyone else I know appears
    to be also. Including my children. :-/

    --
    Dane Buson - [email protected]
    Software suppliers are trying to make their software packages more

  8. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    "SlowRider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    [...]

    All top posters are idiots!

    > So, don't sweat it. From your other posts, I'd guess you're in pretty
    > darned good shape.

    Claire is in terrible shape. She does not know whether she is coming or
    going. She badly needs the counsel of the Great Ed Dolan to relearn what it
    is to be a woman. She has a bad case of terminal gender confusion. She wants
    to be a man doing manly things. She has lost her way and has become like a
    poor little lamb wandering in the wilderness.

    In the room the women come and go
    Talking of Michelangelo.

    T.S. Eliot - The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock

    SlowRider instead of encouraging her ought to be remonstrating with her to
    return to her womanly ways. The last thing the world needs is to have women
    competing with men. Claire should stay at home and bake some cakes and do
    other good womanly things and leave the cycling to us.

    In the room the women come and go
    Talking of Michelangelo.

    T.S. Eliot - The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock

    Only Catholic priests and other celibates like myself are qualified to
    counsel women in how they should behave and how they should be. The rest of
    you don't know one blasted thing about women as you have been corrupted by
    their wily ways and brainwashed to boot by the always politically correct
    media who would have you believe that men and women are the same. This is
    total nonsense of course. Hells Bells, we all knew in kindergarten that
    girls were as different from boys as it is possible to get and still be one
    species. It is a wonder we can even get together to reproduce.

    Thus spake Zarathustra.

    Regards.

    Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
    aka

  9. John Calnan

    John Calnan Guest

    Sounds like Malaise to me.
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003089.htm
    I always feel the most run-down at the beginning of a bout of illness.

    > Saturday I had a sore throat. Sunday it was clear I had come down with a
    > cold, and I felt miserable. So much for our tandem ride we had planned. (I'm
    > doing better today.) What I was thinking this morning is that maybe I was
    > already ill on Friday. I might have been asymptomatic, but fighting off the
    > infection, and that could have slowed me down. Do you think? Or have I
    > really gone soft over the winter, and I have some hard Spring training miles
    > ahead of me?

  10. Alex Colvin

    Alex Colvin Guest

  11. Dane Buson

    Dane Buson Guest

    Claire Petersky <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Symptomatic of everything from AIDS to thyroid disease.

    Dear Claire,

    I was greatly saddened to hear about your impending demise from the
    Black Plague. If there's anything me or my family can do for you and
    yours before or after your funerary rites, please don't hesitate to ask
    for it.

    Ahem. From beyond contagion range, of course.

    Insincerely yours,
    Dane Buson

    --
    Dane Buson - [email protected]
    "We've got to pause and ask ourselves: How much clean air do we need?"

  12. mike

    mike Guest

    "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > Saturday I had a sore throat. Sunday it was clear I had come down with
    > a cold, and I felt miserable. So much for our tandem ride we had
    > planned. (I'm doing better today.) What I was thinking this morning is
    > that maybe I was already ill on Friday. I might have been
    > asymptomatic, but fighting off the infection, and that could have
    > slowed me down. Do you think? Or have I really gone soft over the
    > winter, and I have some hard Spring training miles ahead of me?

    And maybe, like my mom claims,*you will catch a cold riding around in the
    cold weather!!*

  13. Tom Keats

    Tom Keats Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "Claire Petersky" <[email protected]> writes:

    > Saturday I had a sore throat. Sunday it was clear I had come down with a
    > cold, and I felt miserable. So much for our tandem ride we had planned. (I'm
    > doing better today.) What I was thinking this morning is that maybe I was
    > already ill on Friday. I might have been asymptomatic, but fighting off the
    > infection, and that could have slowed me down. Do you think?

    Yes, I do think. I'm still getting over my cold which I came down
    with in late January. One of my symptoms was a profound loss of
    appetite. Maybe the bug hit you the same way and you haven't been
    eating much? If so, that's a double-whammy of weakness -- from the
    cold itself, and from not eating.

    > Or have I
    > really gone soft over the winter, and I have some hard Spring training miles
    > ahead of me?

    Nah, I think it was just temporary. Y'know how we sometimes get those
    exceptionally strong days, and sometimes exceptionally not-so-strong days,
    with no apparent accounting for it? I think maybe it was just the latter,
    combined with the onset of your cold. Speaking of which, I hope you'll
    be feeling better soon, if not already.

    And apparently it takes a /lot/ of outright not-riding to lose
    so much conditioning as to be difficult to regain. You don't
    have anything to worry about in that regard.

    cheers,
    Tom

    --
    -- Nothing is safe from me.
    Above address is just a spam midden.

  14. SlowRider

    SlowRider Guest

    While I appreciate your attempt at satire, you've got a ways to go
    before it's funny. Subtlety, kiddo -- you're using a jackhammer where
    a small jeweler's hammer would do.

    -JR

  15. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    "SlowRider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > While I appreciate your attempt at satire, you've got a ways to go
    > before it's funny. Subtlety, kiddo -- you're using a jackhammer where
    > a small jeweler's hammer would do.

    All top posters are idiots! But SlowRider does not even bottom post. He just
    screws it up totally.

    Yes, it is a mix of satire and the honest brutal truth. Deciding which is
    which is what it is all about. However, I mean to roil the waters more than
    to be funny. The only way to get anything out of most folk is to exaggerate
    for effect. That way you at least get their attention.

    The only sin on newsgroup posting is to be dull. According to that
    criterion, everyone fails most of the time. I only want NOT to be dull like
    all the rest of you!

    Regards,

    Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
    aka

  16. John Calnan

    John Calnan Guest

    mike wrote:
    > And maybe, like my mom claims,*you will catch a cold riding around in the
    > cold weather!!*

    My mom told be I'd go blind if I kept "doing that".
    She also told be if I played with my belly-button, it would come
    unscrewed & my ass would fall off.

  17. Dane Buson

    Dane Buson Guest

    John Calnan <[email protected]> wrote:
    > mike wrote:
    >> And maybe, like my mom claims,*you will catch a cold riding around in the
    >> cold weather!!*
    >>

    > My mom told be I'd go blind if I kept "doing that".

    "Tommy, I know what you're in there doing!"

    "Dad, I'm over here..."

    > She also told be if I played with my belly-button, it would come
    > unscrewed & my ass would fall off.

    Awesome. I'll have to remember that pithy phrase. It's great having
    children to inflict these sorts of things on.

    --
    Dane Buson - [email protected]
    "Stop: Drive Sideways."

  18. "SlowRider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > While I appreciate your attempt at satire, you've got a ways to go
    > before it's funny. Subtlety, kiddo -- you're using a jackhammer where
    > a small jeweler's hammer would do.

    ?

    This must reference a post by someone I killfiled.

    --
    Warm Regards,

    Claire Petersky
    http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
    Sponsor me for the Big Climb! See: www.active.com/donate/cpetersky06
    See the books I've set free at:

  19. Edward Dolan

    Edward Dolan Guest

    > "SlowRider" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> While I appreciate your attempt at satire, you've got a ways to go
    >> before it's funny. Subtlety, kiddo -- you're using a jackhammer where
    >> a small jeweler's hammer would do.

    > ?
    >
    > This must reference a post by someone I killfiled.

    Claire and Helen are just about the funniest gals I have ever encountered on
    a newsgroup. Unlike many others on ARBR, they are at least women and not
    pretend men. Helen is the more aggressive by far. Claire is someone you
    could probably go for a bike ride with and not come back all pissed off
    about that screwed up sex.

    However, if they continue to post their inanities to this group, it is just
    a matter of time until they learn what I think of them no matter how hard
    they try to hide. Not all posters to this group are as stupidly considerate
    as old SlowPoke here. He thinks females need to be defended by the likes of
    him even though they are posting to an essentially all male newsgroup.

    Regards,

    Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
    aka

    PS. Beware fellows! Innocent little Claire means to "kill" you too, just
    like she has "killfiled" me. Her "warm regards" are only for herself, not
    for you!