Out of the loop.... looking for purchase recs.

Paul Whitbread

Guest
Hey all,

I am fairly out of the loop around here... been working an
awful lot for a couple of years, so riding has fallen out of
my life.... Well, I am getting back into it, and I want a
new rig to hot the dirt with.

So, in your opinion, what are the top three XC full
suspension bikes out there right now? I am looking for
something with an XT or comparable group, 4" of travel (or
slightly more) front and rear, Disk brakes... the usual
goodies.... able to take some abuse.... I really don't care
if it has some heft, I gave up on ultralight bikes years
ago. Also, I can budget up to $2500.00 CDN. (slightly more
if something outstanding comes along)

So, what's recommendable these days?

Thanks for your input...

Paul.

"Paul Whitbread" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hey all,
>
> I am fairly out of the loop around here... been working an
> awful lot for a couple of years, so riding has fallen out
> of my life.... Well, I am
getting
> back into it, and I want a new rig to hot the dirt with.
>
> So, in your opinion, what are the top three XC full
> suspension bikes out there right now? I am looking for
> something with an XT or comparable
group,
> 4" of travel (or slightly more) front and rear, Disk
> brakes... the usual goodies.... able to take some
> abuse.... I really don't care if it has some heft, I gave
> up on ultralight bikes years ago. Also, I can budget up to
> $2500.00 CDN. (slightly more if something outstanding
> comes along)
>
> So, what's recommendable these days?
>
> Thanks for your input...
>
> Paul.

http://www.whytebikes.com/whyte-2004/model-whyte-
46.php?MenuType=Dual&MenuSubCat=models

Great reviews, looks the dog's but I can't afford one :-(

Later

Fred

Paul Whitbread said:

> Hey all,
>
> I am fairly out of the loop around here... been working an
> awful lot for a couple of years, so riding has fallen out
> of my life.... Well, I am getting back into it, and I want
> a new rig to hot the dirt with.
>
> So, in your opinion, what are the top three XC full
> suspension bikes out there right now? I am looking for
> something with an XT or comparable group, 4" of travel (or
> slightly more) front and rear, Disk brakes... the usual
> goodies.... able to take some abuse.... I really don't
> care if it has some heft, I gave up on ultralight bikes
> years ago. Also, I can budget up to $2500.00 CDN.
> (slightly more if something outstanding comes along)
>
> So, what's recommendable these days?
>
> Thanks for your input...
>
> Paul.

Double that money and you will be able to get what you want.

...and I didn't know thay're only making 500 of them -
probably all sold now
:-(

SuperSlinky <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Paul Whitbread said:
>
> > Hey all,
> >
> > I am fairly out of the loop around here... been working
> > an awful lot for a couple of years, so riding has fallen
> > out of my life.... Well, I am getting back into it, and
> > I want a new rig to hot the dirt with.
> >
> > So, in your opinion, what are the top three XC full
> > suspension bikes out there right now? I am looking for
> > something with an XT or comparable group, 4" of travel
> > (or slightly more) front and rear, Disk brakes... the
> > usual goodies.... able to take some abuse.... I really
> > don't care if it has some heft, I gave up on ultralight
> > bikes years ago. Also, I can budget up to $2500.00 CDN.
> > (slightly more if something outstanding comes along)
> >
> > So, what's recommendable these days?
> >
> > Thanks for your input...
> >
> > Paul.
>
> Double that money and you will be able to get what
> you want.

He said $2500 Canadican. He'll need to quadruple it.

JD

Paul Whitbread wrote:
> Hey all, So, in your opinion, what are the top three XC
> full suspension bikes out there right now? Also, I can
> budget up to $2500.00 CDN. (slightly more if something
> outstanding comes along)
>
> So, what's recommendable these days?

Yep. You're out of the loop alright. Get thyself to a LBS
and have a look at some full suss bikes and you'll begin to
realise why people are telling you that CDN$2500 isn't
enough. It'd get you an entry level full susser but don't
blame us when it breaks or doesn't perform like you want it
too. For a 'top three' bike you are probably looking at (guesstimate)CDN$7-
8000 plus. A _good_ full sus bike starts at around CDN$4500
--
Westie (Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

"Paul Whitbread" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hey all,
>
> I am fairly out of the loop around here... been working an
> awful lot for a couple of years, so riding has fallen out
> of my life.... Well, I am
getting
> back into it, and I want a new rig to hot the dirt with.
>
> So, in your opinion, what are the top three XC full
> suspension bikes out there right now? I am looking for
> something with an XT or comparable
group,
> 4" of travel (or slightly more) front and rear, Disk
> brakes... the usual goodies.... able to take some
> abuse.... I really don't care if it has some heft, I gave
> up on ultralight bikes years ago. Also, I can budget up to
> $2500.00 CDN. (slightly more if something outstanding
> comes along)
>
> So, what's recommendable these days?
>
> Thanks for your input...
>
> Paul.

The full sus craze came and went and I still don't
understand why anybody would want them. After 9 years with a
front sus I am still unsold on its value, it degrades
handling on some terrain while improving it on others, it is
a nusiance when climbing and is dangerous when the front
wheel drops into a hole. (and yes I have a good shock - Z1
on one bike and Judy XC on the old bike)

So for me the idea of going to full sus would be a non
starter. Just MHO.

Then theres some other equipment: xt? - should be the
minimum standard disks? - looks like v brakes are coming
back gripshift? - came and went long ago utlralite? - not if
you're over 150lbs.

If you've got a 2500 budget and these folks are saying
double that (or more) maybe you want to reconsider what the
bike has to have on it. great - frame, rims, shock, tires,
XT equipment, good - pedals, brakes, saddle, optional -
fancy stuff. My 5 yr old hardtail new today would be more
than $2500 Cdn and it roughly fits this description.

Just my 1.464c (at todays trading point)

Sniffinvinyl
----------------
Remain sane, cycle your brains out . . .

SniffinVinyl wrote:

> The full sus craze came and went and I still don't
> understand why anybody would want them.

Because they're still a lot fun in a slightly different way?
--
Westie (Replace 'invalid' with 'yahoo' when replying.)

"Paul Whitbread" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hey all,
>
> I am fairly out of the loop around here... been working an
> awful lot for a couple of years, so riding has fallen out
> of my life.... Well, I am
getting
> back into it, and I want a new rig to hot the dirt with.
>
> So, in your opinion, what are the top three XC full
> suspension bikes out there right now? I am looking for
> something with an XT or comparable
group,
> 4" of travel (or slightly more) front and rear, Disk
> brakes... the usual goodies.... able to take some
> abuse.... I really don't care if it has some heft, I gave
> up on ultralight bikes years ago. Also, I can budget up to
> $2500.00 CDN. (slightly more if something outstanding
> comes along)
>
> So, what's recommendable these days?
>
> Thanks for your input...
>
> Paul.

http://www.rocky-
mountain.com/bikes/2004/slayer/slayer_30.aspx

--

I've spent most of my money on mountain biking and windsurfing.
The rest I've just wasted.

I was in a similar situation. I decided that full sus is not for me right now (too much $ for not enough bike). So I opted hardtail. For <$1500 US you can get what you want in terms of componentry and frame, etc.

FYI, I narrowed down to Specialized SJ Comp, Fisher Big Sur Disc, Fisher Ziggurat, and Kona Kula. I went with the Ziggurat, and it totally rocks. BUT, the Manitou Skareb Comp fork w/which it came blew out after <75 mi. No problem, though b/c Manitou is being cool and working with me to upgrade for bargain $ (trade in style). Minor inconvenience for great bike. I am sure your LBS will trade out stock fork for something better to suit you. Good Luck

Do yourself a favor and save $ on the disc brakes. I mean, it is not really necessary (in my humble opinion), and they are harder to work on (depending on your setup), and apparently replacement parts/maintenance are more complex and expensive.