Out On The Road

jkxw

Jul 27, 2004
I'm new to riding and would like to know what are essentials you guys take out on the road with you?

mdbrown said:
usually a couple water bottles and maybe a powerbar.
And what happens if you get a flat or other mechanical problem. Walk home? Maybe it's no issue if you only ride around the block?

I usually carry a spare tube, tire levers, a CO2 inflator, a folding set of allen wrenches, and a couple quarters.

I carry a minimal repair kit: frame pump, presta-schrader adapter, a few patches, two tire levers and a Top Peak multi-tool for quick adjustments. In little zip-lock bags I also carry my wallet, a little spare change in the local currency and a pack of smokes and lighter.My rides are fairly short, less than an hour commute twice a day. For longer rides I might carry more extensive repair kit and more spare change.:)

Two cans of HALT
One or two water bottles
ALIEN tool
two tubes
Road Morph pump
patch kit
blinky
emergency headlight (mini-mag and piece of inner thube)
fold up reading glasses so I can see what to fix
fig newtons or cliff bars
rack-mounted home-made Musette-bag pannier
Kryponite cable lock

yea, it's heavy, but I'm used to it.

Water bottle.
Can of pepper spray.
Folding wrench set.
Spare inner tube.
C02 canister and nozzle.

Wallet and keys in jersey pockets.

On one of my bikes that has hard case tires, I carry tire levers also.

Two water bottles in cages.

In under-saddle pack:
Park multi-tool
Spare tube
Tire irons
Wallet
Cell phone
House key

Under top tube:
Frame pump

Dean

Two water bottles

Mini- pump on the downtube

In a very small pack under the seat.

Topeak mini-tool
Spare tube
Patches
Lip Balm

(that's all that will fit in my seat bag, I MIGHT slide in my identification/credit card on occasion)

Hanging/wrapped through seat rails and around seat bag, a combination cable lock.

If I carry food, it's in my jersey pockets. I nearly always carry some cash in my jersey pockets. I really don't like much being there however, so I keep them relatively empty.

I have been known to raid a convienance store for refills on a long ride.

oh yes, and I attach my cell phone to the back of the seat bag via a strap on the bag. This works really well as I can reach back and get the phone without stopping (and return it)

John

A bottle of water... a spare tube, a mini-pump, and tire levers... a cell phone... a few bucks and a snack.

Seems to get the job done. If it's a longer ride, 40 miles or more, I might take a little tool set.

jkxw said:
I'm new to riding and would like to know what are essentials you guys take out on the road with you?
1. Keys- In saddlebag, I normally drive to my start point.
2. Wallet- in saddlebag
3. Gu or PowerGel in shirtback.
4. Coffee Cleats in shirtback.
5. 2 Water Bottles- 1 Water, 1 Accelerade or equivelent.
6. Allen wrench - whatever size it is that fits my seat post after it dropped on my last ride.
7. Last and most important is cell phone in shirtback. I am fairly new at road riding and I have one get out of jail free card with the wife. So when I get a flat I will call her to come and get me. After that I will be carrying accessories to repair a flat on the road.

Topeak multitool, spare tube, some patches and glue, id, and house key in the wedge.
Phone in the jersey, and two water bottles. Sometimes a piece of fruit...but I usually can steal some on my ride:)
mini Pump on the frame under the bottle cage (second one- wore the first out getting flats!)

For dogs, I have a loud ass teacher voice and my right foot (which I have used several times) even though I love dogs more then bikes...just not the combo of the two.
Middle finger and sawed off shotgun for drivers who lack the etiquette they should have