Outlook Express automatically TopPosts?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Peter, Apr 28, 2004.

  1. Peter

    Peter Guest

    I just checked my Shop Help post and found it had formatted as a TopPost.
    Knowing how some people detest this practise I am asking if it is possible
    to Bottom Post with OE and if so how? Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. Andy Simpson

    Andy Simpson Guest

    This might help : http://flash.to/oe-quotefix

    "Peter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I just checked my Shop Help post and found it had formatted as a TopPost.
    > Knowing how some people detest this practise I am asking if it is possible
    > to Bottom Post with OE and if so how? Thanks.

    I'm not using it (yet).

  3. Pete

    Pete Guest

    "Peter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I just checked my Shop Help post and found it had formatted as a TopPost.
    > Knowing how some people detest this practise I am asking if it is possible
    > to Bottom Post with OE and if so how? Thanks.

    Hit reply, click below the existing text, return, start typing.

    Like this.

    Nothing *prevents* you, in any client, from putting the text where you want
    it.

    Pete

  4. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > I just checked my Shop Help post and found it had formatted as a
    > TopPost. Knowing how some people detest this practise I am asking if
    > it is possible to Bottom Post with OE and if so how? Thanks.

    Yes, you simply move the cursor below that to which you're replying.
    (Preferably snipping extraneous text, but that's frosting :)

    Bill "if I can figure it out..." S.

  5. S o r n i <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Yes, you simply move the cursor below that to which you're replying.
    > (Preferably snipping extraneous text, but that's frosting :)

    cack .. no it's not. top-post if you don't trim, thanks.
    --
    david reuteler
    [email protected]

  6. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    David Reuteler wrote:
    > S o r n i <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Yes, you simply move the cursor below that to which you're replying.
    >> (Preferably snipping extraneous text, but that's frosting :)

    > cack .. no it's not. top-post if you don't trim, thanks.

    Huh? How does not trimming make top-posting more coherent?

    Bill "au contraire, n'est-ce pas?" S.

  7. sittingduck

    sittingduck Guest

    "Peter" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I just checked my Shop Help post and found it had formatted as a TopPost.
    > Knowing how some people detest this practise I am asking if it is possible
    > to Bottom Post with OE and if so how? Thanks.

    If you use a news client much, and are not afraid of learning how to use
    something a LOT more configurable, give xnews a try.
    http://xnews.newsguy.com/
    It has a scoring system, IDtoken (marks replies to your messages), and many
    more advanced features and abilities.

  8. Peter

    Peter Guest

    " S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:n%[email protected]
    > David Reuteler wrote:
    > > S o r n i <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > cack .. no it's not. top-post if you don't trim, thanks.

    > Huh? How does not trimming make top-posting more coherent?
    >
    > Bill "au contraire, n'est-ce pas?" S.

    Because the reader then doesn't have to wade through a sometimes very
    lengthy messsage to get to a sometimes two word answer. Thanks to all who
    replied to my OP.
    Cheers.

  9. S o r n i <[email protected]> wrote:
    > David Reuteler wrote:
    >> S o r n i <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>> Yes, you simply move the cursor below that to which you're replying.
    >>> (Preferably snipping extraneous text, but that's frosting :)

    >> cack .. no it's not. top-post if you don't trim, thanks.

    > Huh? How does not trimming make top-posting more coherent?

    it doesn't. but top posting is far less annoying to me than paging through
    10 screenfuls of quoted text to get to the "me, too." trimming for relevance
    is more important to establishing the context of your response than whether
    you post it at the top or the bottom. tho obviously it doesn't make much
    sense to post it at the top.

    but if you're not going to trim, stick your response at the top so i can
    chose whether or not to read the entire quoted message most of which has
    nothing to do with your response.

    just do it right: trim, then post conversationally (aka bottom post).
    --
    david reuteler
    [email protected]

  10. Harris

    Harris Guest

    S o r n i <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Peter wrote:
    > > I just checked my Shop Help post and found it had formatted as a
    > > TopPost. Knowing how some people detest this practise I am asking if
    > > it is possible to Bottom Post with OE and if so how? Thanks.

    > Yes, you simply move the cursor below that to which you're replying.

    Oh, wow! But like what if my mouse gets to the bottom of the mouse pad
    before the cursor gets to the bottom of the text?

    Art

  11. On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 12:57:48 GMT, Harris
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Oh, wow! But like what if my mouse gets to the bottom of the mouse pad
    >before the cursor gets to the bottom of the text?

    I guess you only reply to the shorter posts.

    Curtis L. Russell
    Odenton, MD (USA)
    Just someone on two wheels...

  12. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    Harris wrote:
    > S o r n i <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Peter wrote:
    >>> I just checked my Shop Help post and found it had formatted as a
    >>> TopPost. Knowing how some people detest this practise I am asking if
    >>> it is possible to Bottom Post with OE and if so how? Thanks.

    >> Yes, you simply move the cursor below that to which you're replying.

    > Oh, wow! But like what if my mouse gets to the bottom of the mouse pad
    > before the cursor gets to the bottom of the text?

    Get a longer mouse pad...DUH!

    Bill "channeling Vandenut" S.

  13. DRS

    DRS Guest

    "Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > S o r n i <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Peter wrote:
    >>> I just checked my Shop Help post and found it had formatted as a
    >>> TopPost. Knowing how some people detest this practise I am asking if
    >>> it is possible to Bottom Post with OE and if so how? Thanks.

    >> Yes, you simply move the cursor below that to which you're replying.

    > Oh, wow! But like what if my mouse gets to the bottom of the mouse pad
    > before the cursor gets to the bottom of the text?

    Use the wheel to scroll down.

    --

    A: Top-posters.

  14. DRS

    DRS Guest

    "Peter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I just checked my Shop Help post and found it had formatted as a
    > TopPost. Knowing how some people detest this practise I am asking if
    > it is possible to Bottom Post with OE and if so how? Thanks.

    http://flash.to/oe-quotefix

    I've used it for ages. It's excellent.

    --

    A: Top-posters.

  15. DRS

    DRS Guest

    "Peter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > " S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:n%[email protected]
    >> David Reuteler wrote:

    [...]

    >> Huh? How does not trimming make top-posting more coherent?

    > Because the reader then doesn't have to wade through a sometimes very
    > lengthy messsage to get to a sometimes two word answer. Thanks to all
    > who replied to my OP.

    You're answering a question he didn't ask. Top-posting never makes a
    response more coherent regardless of whether extraneous material is snipped
    or not.

    --

    A: Top-posters.

  16. maxo

    maxo Guest

    On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 06:32:51 +0000, sittingduck wrote:

    > "Peter" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> I just checked my Shop Help post and found it had formatted as a TopPost.
    >> Knowing how some people detest this practise I am asking if it is possible
    >> to Bottom Post with OE and if so how? Thanks.

    > If you use a news client much, and are not afraid of learning how to use
    > something a LOT more configurable, give xnews a try.
    > http://xnews.newsguy.com/
    > It has a scoring system, IDtoken (marks replies to your messages), and many
    > more advanced features and abilities.

    I wasn't going to suggest a new client, since that's not really a
    solution, but since somebody else took the first step...:)

    haven't used the above, and I'll have a lookie, but I use Pan for Windows
    and LInux. Super quick to learn, offline mode, supports binaries, and has
    sensible keyboard shortcuts:

    It's free software:

    pan.rebelbase.com

  17. S o r n i

    S o r n i Guest

    DRS wrote:

    > http://flash.to/oe-quotefix
    >
    > I've used it for ages. It's excellent.

    I like it, too. (Irish Spring commercial? Showing my age with THAT!)

    Interestingly, however, I didn't change the cursor orientation from OE's
    default (top). Maybe I'm just so used to it starting there, but I found it
    annoying to have to scroll UP to trim -- and probably wouldn't bother as
    often as a result. By scrolling from top to bottom, it's easy to take out
    unnecessary text as you go.

    Bill "and the colors and icons are cool, too" S.

  18. Ray Heindl

    Ray Heindl Guest

    sittingduck <[email protected]> wrote:

    > If you use a news client much, and are not afraid of learning how
    > to use something a LOT more configurable, give xnews a try.
    > http://xnews.newsguy.com/
    > It has a scoring system, IDtoken (marks replies to your messages),
    > and many more advanced features and abilities.

    And the price is right.

    --
    Ray Heindl
    (remove the Xs to reply to: [email protected])

  19. maxo <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I wasn't going to suggest a new client, since that's not really a
    > solution, but since somebody else took the first step...:)

    shutdown
    insert FreeBSD CD
    reboot
    install FreeBSD (WARNING: May cause loss of data)
    reboot
    login
    % tin

    (bliss)
    --
    david reuteler
    [email protected]

  20. Andy Simpson

    Andy Simpson Guest

    Andy Simpson wrote:
    > This might help : http://flash.to/oe-quotefix
    >
    > "Peter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> I just checked my Shop Help post and found it had formatted as a
    >> TopPost. Knowing how some people detest this practise I am asking if
    >> it is possible to Bottom Post with OE and if so how? Thanks.
    >>

    > I'm not using it (yet).

    hells bells, it works. ripper.