Outlook Express automatically TopPosts?

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Peter, Apr 28, 2004.

  1. Peter

    Peter Guest

    I just checked my Shop Help post and found it had formatted
    as a TopPost. Knowing how some people detest this practise I
    am asking if it is possible to Bottom Post with OE and if so
    how? Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. Andy Simpson

    Andy Simpson Guest

    This might help : http://flash.to/oe-quotefix

    "Peter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I just checked my Shop Help post and found it had
    > formatted as a TopPost. Knowing how some people detest
    > this practise I am asking if it is possible to Bottom Post
    > with OE and if so how? Thanks.

    I'm not using it (yet).

  3. Pete

    Pete Guest

    "Peter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I just checked my Shop Help post and found it had
    > formatted as a TopPost. Knowing how some people detest
    > this practise I am asking if it is possible to Bottom Post
    > with OE and if so how? Thanks.

    Hit reply, click below the existing text, return,
    start typing.

    Like this.

    Nothing *prevents* you, in any client, from putting the text
    where you want
    it.

    Pete

  4. S O R N I

    S O R N I Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > I just checked my Shop Help post and found it had
    > formatted as a TopPost. Knowing how some people detest
    > this practise I am asking if it is possible to Bottom Post
    > with OE and if so how? Thanks.

    Yes, you simply move the cursor below that to which you're
    replying. (Preferably snipping extraneous text, but that's
    frosting :)

    Bill "if I can figure it out..." S.

  5. S o r n i <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Yes, you simply move the cursor below that to which you're
    > replying. (Preferably snipping extraneous text, but that's
    > frosting :)

    cack .. no it's not. top-post if you don't trim, thanks.
    --
    david reuteler [email protected]

  6. S O R N I

    S O R N I Guest

    David Reuteler wrote:
    > S o r n i <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Yes, you simply move the cursor below that to which
    >> you're replying. (Preferably snipping extraneous text,
    >> but that's frosting :)
    >
    > cack .. no it's not. top-post if you don't trim, thanks.

    Huh? How does not trimming make top-posting more coherent?

    Bill "au contraire, n'est-ce pas?" S.

  7. Sittingduck

    Sittingduck Guest

    "Peter" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I just checked my Shop Help post and found it had
    > formatted as a TopPost. Knowing how some people detest
    > this practise I am asking if it is possible to Bottom Post
    > with OE and if so how? Thanks.

    If you use a news client much, and are not afraid of
    learning how to use something a LOT more configurable, give
    xnews a try. http://xnews.newsguy.com/ It has a scoring
    system, IDtoken (marks replies to your messages), and many
    more advanced features and abilities.

  8. S o r n i <[email protected]> wrote:
    > David Reuteler wrote:
    >> S o r n i <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>> Yes, you simply move the cursor below that to which
    >>> you're replying. (Preferably snipping extraneous text,
    >>> but that's frosting :)
    >>
    >> cack .. no it's not. top-post if you don't trim, thanks.
    >
    > Huh? How does not trimming make top-posting more coherent?

    it doesn't. but top posting is far less annoying to me than
    paging through 10 screenfuls of quoted text to get to the
    "me, too." trimming for relevance is more important to
    establishing the context of your response than whether you
    post it at the top or the bottom. tho obviously it doesn't
    make much sense to post it at the top.

    but if you're not going to trim, stick your response at the
    top so i can chose whether or not to read the entire quoted
    message most of which has nothing to do with your response.

    just do it right: trim, then post conversationally (aka
    bottom post).
    --
    david reuteler [email protected]

  9. Peter

    Peter Guest

    " S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:n%[email protected]...
    > David Reuteler wrote:
    > > S o r n i <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > cack .. no it's not. top-post if you don't trim, thanks.
    >
    > Huh? How does not trimming make top-posting more coherent?
    >
    > Bill "au contraire, n'est-ce pas?" S.

    Because the reader then doesn't have to wade through a
    sometimes very lengthy messsage to get to a sometimes two
    word answer. Thanks to all who replied to my OP. Cheers.

  10. Harris

    Harris Guest

    S o r n i <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Peter wrote:
    > > I just checked my Shop Help post and found it had
    > > formatted as a TopPost. Knowing how some people detest
    > > this practise I am asking if it is possible to Bottom
    > > Post with OE and if so how? Thanks.

    > Yes, you simply move the cursor below that to which you're
    > replying.

    Oh, wow! But like what if my mouse gets to the bottom of the
    mouse pad before the cursor gets to the bottom of the text?

    Art

  11. On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 12:57:48 GMT, Harris
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Oh, wow! But like what if my mouse gets to the bottom of
    >the mouse pad before the cursor gets to the bottom of
    >the text?

    I guess you only reply to the shorter posts.

    Curtis L. Russell Odenton, MD (USA) Just someone on
    two wheels...

  12. S O R N I

    S O R N I Guest

    Harris wrote:
    > S o r n i <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Peter wrote:
    >>> I just checked my Shop Help post and found it had
    >>> formatted as a TopPost. Knowing how some people detest
    >>> this practise I am asking if it is possible to Bottom
    >>> Post with OE and if so how? Thanks.
    >
    >> Yes, you simply move the cursor below that to which
    >> you're replying.
    >
    > Oh, wow! But like what if my mouse gets to the bottom of
    > the mouse pad before the cursor gets to the bottom of
    > the text?

    Get a longer mouse pad...DUH!

    Bill "channeling Vandenut" S.

  13. Drs

    Drs Guest

    "Harris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > S o r n i <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> Peter wrote:
    >>> I just checked my Shop Help post and found it had
    >>> formatted as a TopPost. Knowing how some people detest
    >>> this practise I am asking if it is possible to Bottom
    >>> Post with OE and if so how? Thanks.
    >
    >> Yes, you simply move the cursor below that to which
    >> you're replying.
    >
    > Oh, wow! But like what if my mouse gets to the bottom of
    > the mouse pad before the cursor gets to the bottom of
    > the text?

    Use the wheel to scroll down.

    --

    A: Top-posters.
    B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

  14. Drs

    Drs Guest

    "Peter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I just checked my Shop Help post and found it had
    > formatted as a TopPost. Knowing how some people detest
    > this practise I am asking if it is possible to Bottom Post
    > with OE and if so how? Thanks.

    http://flash.to/oe-quotefix

    I've used it for ages. It's excellent.

    --

    A: Top-posters.
    B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

  15. Drs

    Drs Guest

    "Peter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > " S o r n i" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:n%[email protected]...
    >> David Reuteler wrote:

    [...]

    >> Huh? How does not trimming make top-posting more
    >> coherent?
    >
    > Because the reader then doesn't have to wade through a
    > sometimes very lengthy messsage to get to a sometimes two
    > word answer. Thanks to all who replied to my OP.

    You're answering a question he didn't ask. Top-posting never
    makes a response more coherent regardless of whether
    extraneous material is snipped or not.

    --

    A: Top-posters.
    B: What is the most annoying thing on Usenet?

  16. S O R N I

    S O R N I Guest

    DRS wrote:

    > http://flash.to/oe-quotefix
    >
    > I've used it for ages. It's excellent.

    I like it, too. (Irish Spring commercial? Showing my age
    with THAT!)

    Interestingly, however, I didn't change the cursor
    orientation from OE's default (top). Maybe I'm just so used
    to it starting there, but I found it annoying to have to
    scroll UP to trim -- and probably wouldn't bother as often
    as a result. By scrolling from top to bottom, it's easy to
    take out unnecessary text as you go.

    Bill "and the colors and icons are cool, too" S.

  17. Ray Heindl

    Ray Heindl Guest

    sittingduck <[email protected]> wrote:

    > If you use a news client much, and are not afraid of
    > learning how to use something a LOT more configurable,
    > give xnews a try. http://xnews.newsguy.com/ It has a
    > scoring system, IDtoken (marks replies to your messages),
    > and many more advanced features and abilities.

    And the price is right.

    --
    Ray Heindl (remove the Xs to reply to: [email protected])

  18. maxo <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I wasn't going to suggest a new client, since that's not
    > really a solution, but since somebody else took the first
    > step...:)

    shutdown insert FreeBSD CD reboot install FreeBSD (WARNING:
    May cause loss of data) reboot login
    % tin

    (bliss)
    --
    david reuteler [email protected]

  19. Andy Simpson

    Andy Simpson Guest

    Andy Simpson wrote:
    > This might help : http://flash.to/oe-quotefix
    >
    > "Peter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> I just checked my Shop Help post and found it had
    >> formatted as a TopPost. Knowing how some people detest
    >> this practise I am asking if it is possible to Bottom
    >> Post with OE and if so how? Thanks.
    >>

    > I'm not using it (yet).

    hells bells, it works. ripper.

  20. Curt

    Curt Guest

    I top post all the time. I don't like to scroll down. Who
    gives a shit if people top or bottom post really? Life is
    too short to worry about such meaningless stuff.

    Curt