Outright Mockery

Mar 11, 2015
I have just got back from the shops and was riding in to the building, we don't have a back entrance as such so I have to go in the front and one of the builders working on my apartment building/flats just said "you look ridiculous on that" To which I replied "Maybe, but if I get off I will look normal again, you on the other hand...."
I am really cross about it, I don't look ridiculous, it's not too big, it's in good nick (condition)
Why do people feel the need to mock? I don't reckon he would have told me I looked ridiculous if I had been a guy?

Sounds to me like he's a real ass. Some guys are like that, though. They think that it makes them an "rebel" or "a man who just doesn't care" or maybe even slightly more intimidating if they "speak their minds". Which would be annoying because they ARE an ass, but at least it would be honest.

But then you have these guys who want to sound like they're Karate chop crazy. But they aren't clever enough to come up with something legitamit. So they say something mean about the first thing they notice...Regardless if anything they say is true or not. If I were you, I'd point out that even his own mommy doesn't like him.

He sounds like such a jerk! I havent met anyone who has been rude like that, in fact most guys I have met love it. Maybe hes just jelous that he doesnt have enough stamina to ride a bike and that a girl would outride him. Dont let it bother you, keep doing what you like :)

Because he's a jerk and is probably jealous that you are far more fit than he is. I wouldn't worry about it. Some people just have issues and take it out on others because they don't know how else to deal with it. You don't look ridiculous at all, you look like a normal cyclist.

kana_marie said:
Sounds to me like he's a real ass. Some guys are like that, though. They think that it makes them an "rebel" or "a man who just doesn't care" or maybe even slightly more intimidating if they "speak their minds". Which would be annoying because they ARE an ass, but at least it would be honest.

But then you have these guys who want to sound like they're Karate chop crazy. But they aren't clever enough to come up with something legitamit. So they say something mean about the first thing they notice...Regardless if anything they say is true or not. If I were you, I'd point out that even his own mommy doesn't like him.
he IS an ass, you're right! I hate people that say "I just speak my mind if you don't like it that's too bad" Speak your mind by all means but you don't have to be a d!ck about it! Ha ha I bet she doesn't like him, nobody likes him.... cos he's an ass!

katherine25 said:
He sounds like such a jerk! I havent met anyone who has been rude like that, in fact most guys I have met love it. Maybe hes just jelous that he doesnt have enough stamina to ride a bike and that a girl would outride him. Dont let it bother you, keep doing what you like :)
Ha ha you're probably right, he is a great big fat pig! I am just glad his mates laughed at him when I said something, shows what a kn()b they think he is!

DancingLady said:
Because he's a jerk and is probably jealous that you are far more fit than he is. I wouldn't worry about it. Some people just have issues and take it out on others because they don't know how else to deal with it. You don't look ridiculous at all, you look like a normal cyclist.
Thanks! He is a fatty boom boom so you could well be right!

Wow, he just thinks he's better than you when really he's just a jerk. Try not to take it too personally, it doesn't sound like you were doing anything weird. Good comeback, though, I can never think of what to say when people say something rude to me.

Reactions: Clairelouise84
cyclegirl23 said:
Wow, he just thinks he's better than you when really he's just a jerk. Try not to take it too personally, it doesn't sound like you were doing anything weird. Good comeback, though, I can never think of what to say when people say something rude to me.
He really IS a jerk!!!! I wasn't doing anything weird, just coming into my house. Ha ha I can't normally either, I am normally there 8 hours later going "damn, I should have said this, that would have been brilliant!"

Some men are really insecure and can't handle seeing people more fit than they are. I bet he's more out of shape than you.

You may have a good bike and a mockery is a clear sign of envy. In school, I had experienced that so many times so I am quite used to it. One girl who was mocking me eventually became my friend. So what should I say on that? Just let them say what they want. As long as they see you with your bike or maybe with your car or better yet with your pretty girlfriend, they would be mocking you more.

Well that's just an absolutely ridiculous thing to mock someone about! I'm sorry that the person who said that to you decided to be such a jerk. I agree with everyone else though, he was probably jealous of you. ;) Don't let it get to you, just keep peddlin' on.

I've never received any sort of mockery like that, though. The only times I've felt mocked was through people looking at me funny but never said anything outright. I'm overweight and cycling is one of the few forms of exercise I'm able to do because of health issues, so I always get the feeling that the more fit cyclers out there are snickering about me trying too hard.

That sounds pretty annoying, but I like your retort. Some people are just terrible people, and that applies to both men and women. It's mostly harmless, though. You're right to get peeved about it. I still wouldn't let it affect yourself for that long regardless. People are going to say stupid things, and sometimes they'll be sexist or bigoted, but it's easy enough to walk away in most cases and ignore the situation.

I have not faced such mockery, but where I live pretty much everyone, men, women and children, rides a bike. Sorry you had to go through this!