Oval Concepts Aero Brakes - Anyone used these

Kestrel12

Feb 4, 2006
Hi,

I am currently looking at purchasing some black brake calipers for my noble steed and came across the oval concepts a700 aero brakes. They appear to be designed for TT's but I was wondering whether anyone has any experience with these brakes in both TT's and road races.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I have a set of the Tektro brakes- essentially the same thing on my 44cm TCR tt bike. They work pretty well to be honest. As the brake shoes are Shimano style any other shoe of this type can be used, but having said that the ones provided work well. One benefit for me is actually the back brake as opposed to the front, which can sit behind the front fork. As the cable enters the brake via a flexible extension I get a much better cable run and therefor better braking than I did with my Campag Record. The Tektro versions are also cheaper than the Oval ones. Finish Isn't as high but they will work the same. I got mine from Planet X incase you are looking.

I've wondered myself how well those Oval's work, but I haven't seen anyone talk much about them. Better aero is always good if it doesn't hinder other performance.

Just a quick update. I contacted Oval Concepts and their reply was that these brakes are specifically designed to modulate speed on a time trial/triathlon bike and that they would not recommend them for road cycling.

Looks like my search will continue

Kestrel12 said:
I contacted Oval Concepts and their reply was that these brakes are specifically designed to modulate speed on a time trial/triathlon bike and that they would not recommend them for road cycling.
Well that sucks! :(