Oval vs road for power training

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by Corzhens, Mar 26, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Corzhens

Corzhens Well-Known Member

Which do you think is more effective when training - road riding or oval training? I once had a chat with a professional cyclist who said that there's a big difference in riding in an oval than road cycling. The oval gives you a feeling that you are safe since there are no unexpected obstruction while road cycling poses unpredictable dangers.

But regarding power, do you get more power faster when you do oval riding?

Tags:

2. Power Meter City

Man this is a complicated question and there are going to be lots of different views here. Oval is a lot different, no doubt about it. Some people love it and claim it works wonders, other despise it. It also depends on what 'oval product' you are taking about. Some are better than others. One thing I always pay attention to is the pro peloton. You see some ovals out there for sure...but not a ton. However some of that is definitely due to what the sponsors have available.

3. dkrenik

dkrenik Member

I'm guessing the OP is referring to track vs. road riding. I've never ridden track so take my comments with a grain of salt.

Seems to me that riding track offers similar advantages as riding indoors on a trainer. That workouts can be very structured without having to be concerned about "obstacles" like traffic lights, terrain, and such that might interrupt the structure of a workout. In the end, I suppose it all depends on what one's goals are as to whether or not to include track riding in one's program.

4. ZXD22

ZXD22 Member

I like power training on the road as the new scenery just gets me going and it can get very boring but effective training in a oval track. I like to explore so on the road is better for me.

5. rz3300

rz3300 Member

Well I have to say that I am not sure what the answer is when it comes to the most efficient or anything like that, but I do know that getting out there on the road makes me feel much more active and that usually leads to better workout overall for me. It is all about comfort for me, and this makes it a lot more easy. I am sure that others are different though, and so it is just up to you to figure out what you like.

6. erook7878

erook7878 Member

On an oval, you'll probably be able to reach peek intensity since you aren't worried about slowing down for any obstacles you may encounter on the road. I'd imagine it is also easier to get up to speed on a track as opposed to asphalt.