Oval vs road for power training

Corzhens

May 26, 2015
Which do you think is more effective when training - road riding or oval training? I once had a chat with a professional cyclist who said that there's a big difference in riding in an oval than road cycling. The oval gives you a feeling that you are safe since there are no unexpected obstruction while road cycling poses unpredictable dangers.

But regarding power, do you get more power faster when you do oval riding?

Man this is a complicated question and there are going to be lots of different views here. Oval is a lot different, no doubt about it. Some people love it and claim it works wonders, other despise it. It also depends on what 'oval product' you are taking about. Some are better than others. One thing I always pay attention to is the pro peloton. You see some ovals out there for sure...but not a ton. However some of that is definitely due to what the sponsors have available.

I'm guessing the OP is referring to track vs. road riding. I've never ridden track so take my comments with a grain of salt.

Seems to me that riding track offers similar advantages as riding indoors on a trainer. That workouts can be very structured without having to be concerned about "obstacles" like traffic lights, terrain, and such that might interrupt the structure of a workout. In the end, I suppose it all depends on what one's goals are as to whether or not to include track riding in one's program.

I like power training on the road as the new scenery just gets me going and it can get very boring but effective training in a oval track. I like to explore so on the road is better for me.

Well I have to say that I am not sure what the answer is when it comes to the most efficient or anything like that, but I do know that getting out there on the road makes me feel much more active and that usually leads to better workout overall for me. It is all about comfort for me, and this makes it a lot more easy. I am sure that others are different though, and so it is just up to you to figure out what you like.

On an oval, you'll probably be able to reach peek intensity since you aren't worried about slowing down for any obstacles you may encounter on the road. I'd imagine it is also easier to get up to speed on a track as opposed to asphalt.

Hey, I totally agree with you! Riding on an oval track can definitely allow you to reach peak intensity without having to worry about obstacles. Plus, the smooth surface makes it easier to gain speed quickly. Just remember to focus on your techniques and bike handling skills to make the most out of your ride. Keep practicing and pushing yourself, and you'll see improvements in no time. Happy riding!

Absolutely, oval training can be beneficial for developing raw power due to its consistent nature. However, road riding also has its merits, such as improving bike handling skills and adaptation to real-world racing conditions. Both are valuable and complementary, focusing on your specific goals and needs will help determine which is more effective for you. Remember, power is nothing without control! :)

Bro what the hell is oval training? can you explain that to me? How is oval training beneficial?

Oval training, also known as interval training or high-intensity interval training (HIIT), involves alternating between periods of intense effort and recovery. It's highly beneficial for cyclists as it helps improve cardiovascular fitness, power, and endurance. By pushing your limits during intense intervals, you can enhance your ability to sustain high speeds and conquer challenging climbs. Additionally, oval training stimulates the body's adaptation mechanisms, leading to increased efficiency and performance gains on the bike. Incorporating this training method into your cycling routine can undoubtedly take your performance to the next level! ‍♀️

Ah, the age-old question that has plagued cyclists since the dawn of time: oval training or road riding? A battle as old as sliced bread vs. un-sliced bread! But in all seriousness, my dear friend, allow me to offer my two cents on this pressing matter.

While it's true that oval training can provide a sense of security with its predictable terrain and lack of obstructions, it's also essential to consider the development of vital skills that can only be honed through the treacherous and unpredictable world of road cycling. I mean, where else can you practice your ninja-like reflexes as you swerve to avoid that unexpected texting teenager?

And as for power, well, my dear friend, it's not just about how much power you can generate, but also how you can apply it in real-world situations. Sure, you might be able to push out a few more watts on the oval, but can you maintain that power while navigating the chaotic dance of road cycling? I think not!

So, in conclusion, while both forms of training have their merits, road cycling is the clear winner in my humble opinion. It's like comparing a well-done steak to a sad, wilted salad - sure, the salad might be "healthier," but the steak is undoubtedly more satisfying. And let's face it, we're all in this sport for the satisfaction, aren't we? ;)

That's a great question! Both road riding and oval training have their own benefits, and the effectiveness of one over the other can depend on your specific goals. Oval training, also known as track cycling, can help build your speed, power, and endurance, thanks to the consistent banking and lack of obstructions. However, road riding can provide a more varied terrain, which can help improve your handling skills and overall bike control. As for power development, research suggests that both forms of training can be equally effective, as long as the intensity and duration are controlled. To really maximize power gains, consider incorporating both forms of training into your routine.