"ovalized" head tube/ bad headset

Swoop

Feb 13, 2004
ok I have an 03 specialized aluminium frame, cane creek standard integrated headset. I started having a problem about three weeks ago..my headset would wobble...unless I tightened to binding...but then as soon as the binding was loosened it would wobble. I bought a new headset and changed it....still the same. The only conclusion I can come to is that headtube has worn or bent or soemthing.... so I guess the question is how can I tell if the headtube is bad? When I drop the bearings in there is a bit of play, a small gap is visible on a small portion of the outer bearing circumference and headtube interface. Is there any other way other than look and feel to determine this? If so, do I have any chance at getting a frame warranty? Thanks for your help.

Swoop said:
ok I have an 03 specialized aluminium frame, cane creek standard integrated headset. I started having a problem about three weeks ago..my headset would wobble...unless I tightened to binding...but then as soon as the binding was loosened it would wobble. I bought a new headset and changed it....still the same. The only conclusion I can come to is that headtube has worn or bent or soemthing.... so I guess the question is how can I tell if the headtube is bad? When I drop the bearings in there is a bit of play, a small gap is visible on a small portion of the outer bearing circumference and headtube interface. Is there any other way other than look and feel to determine this? If so, do I have any chance at getting a frame warranty? Thanks for your help.

Apply epoxy resin inside the headtube and install while still wet.